Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MYT332
Topic Author

Is This Bad Double?

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:48 pm

I rarely post here but this made me laugh.

Is this bad double?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Massey
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nik French

Just so I know in the future.

Thanks.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

EWS

RE: Is This Bad Double?

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:51 pm

Open the two shots, flick between them then tell us which ones level?

Lew

javibi

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:08 pm

Looks like a case of shared tripod to me  Smile

j

9V

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting EWS (Reply 1):
flick between them then tell us which ones level?

HAhahahaha! Big grin

[email protected]

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Thread starter):
Is this bad double?

No.
-

Avsfan

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:44 am

If both photos were screened by the same screeners, then this definitely shows the inconsistencies of the screening process. You can tell that even though both photos are of the same plane sitting in the exact same spot (most likely with both photogs using the same tripod), there are some distinct differences with both photos. Nothing like both photos being accepted when one shows a level plane and the other one does not. Also the level plane has a slightly brighter exposure than the other.

IMHO, if one photog is not allowed to upload 2 photos of the same plane taken on the same day, at the same airport and at different angles, then situations like this should not be allowed either. According to the rules the only time this might be acceptable is if the photos are of the same plane landing and then taking off later in the day.

Where is the originality and creativity when photos like the ones mentioned at the start of this thread are allowed?

Just my  twocents  worth.
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

BoeingOnFinal

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:44 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 1):
Open the two shots, flick between them then tell us which ones level?

Yeah, screeners here say that leveling is very important, even a 0,2 degree rotation off is a rejection.

I guess these where 0,1 degree off to either side!
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

paulinbna

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:07 am

Quoting Avsfan (Reply 5):
if one photog is not allowed to upload 2 photos of the same plane taken on the same day, at the same airport and at different angles, then situations like this should not be allowed either.

I have to strongly disagree with the above statement. Why punish one photographer because the other one gets home faster and uploads first. All that will do is make this a solitary hobby for a lot of people. Part of the fun is going to the airport with a group of people.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

unattendedbag

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:36 pm

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 7):
Why punish one photographer because the other one gets home faster and uploads first. All that will do is make this a solitary hobby for a lot of people.

I tend to agree with this statement, but it shows a sad lack of imaginantion that one of them couldn't move the tripod a few feet to the right and get a slightly different angle.
Slower traffic, keep right

Avsfan

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:00 pm

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 7):

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 8):

Both of you do have valid points, but I still believe this shows that there are inconsistencies with the screening process.
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

dendrobatid

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting Avsfan (Reply 9):
Both of you do have valid points, but I still believe this shows that there are inconsistencies with the screening process.

And there are always plenty of people ready to jump on that particular bandwagon !

Of course there are some inconsistencies. Images do not suddenly click into or out of acceptability, there is a band of acceptability, a range, and at opposite ends of that range there can be quite a difference. Couple that with a number of different eyes screening and there will always be some inconsistency - we just try to minimise it !
Long before I started screening there were howls of protest about level rejections for tiny angles and things were changed by Johan so that there was a bit more latitude with level. Two images at opposite ends of that range of acceptability are a good example of that. We don't measure the angles so it is nonsense to say that 0.1 degrees is okay,0.2 is not. A horizon, a real sea horizon is rarely acceptable at 0.1 degrees out
The two images that started this thread were by different photographers, end of story, not double. There is no rejection category of lack of originality. If there was........

Mick Bajcar

viv

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:20 pm

Mick,

Your reply is clear, informative, and conclusive, as always.

Thank you for that - and Happy New Year!
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

javibi

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:18 pm

then this definitely shows the inconsistencies of the screening process.

I see two A.net compliant pictures of a new registration for the database. One of them could have been deemed as badlevel, but it hasn't; no big deal, is it?

situations like this should not be allowed either

As the screener reminds us, the ruling forces in this site do not care much about originality. Why punish a photog just because he uploaded later?

Quoting Dendrobatid (Reply 10):
There is no rejection category of lack of originality. If there was........

There would be about 950000 less pictures here and browsing through them would be much more fun.

Happy New Year.

j

picturethis

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:47 pm

I don't see any problem with it whatsoever myself, seen it happen a few times now on the site and I don't have a problem with it.

2 different photographers so who cares?
Make sure they know we're playing the game, but we don't need to play the game because we've already won the game.

Psych

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:53 pm

This is a good example of potentially conflicting aims within A.net (so often the cause of upset and debate here): is it a database of photographs of aircraft or a website to showcase the best aviation photographers' pictures? If it was only the former then there is little argument for accepting two photos that are effectively exactly the same. But, as has been argued, to penalise the later uploader just because someone has got in before him would be seen by many as unfair. This takes the site towards the latter role. But if it was only a showcase for photographers, and not a database, then the arguments for more relaxed criteria - such as motive - would be even louder. The current rules take us back towards the former role.

In the end, A.net (i.e. Johan) tries to do both, and the consequences are 'anomalies' like this that can appear 'wrong' to some, and also criteria which, to others, can appear too strict.

A very Happy New Year to all Forum participants and readers.

Paul