Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Avsfan
Topic Author

Color Settings For Post-processing Software.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:29 am

Hello all,

To start off I shoot my aviation photos with a Nikon D70 and post-process my photos with Adobe PS Elements 5 (PSE 5). I read a post from another website's user group that the settings for your camera and post-processing software should be identical. Now I am trying to find out what are the best color settings I should use for each. Currently my D70 color mode is set for II(Adobe RGB) and the color settings for PSE 5 is sRGB ("Always Optimize Colors for Computer Screens"). I have been shooting II(Adobe RGB) since it was refered by an individual here on A.net as the better setting for aviation photos. PSE 5 does have a setting for the Adobe RGB color space which is "Always Optimized for Printing". So, which match up of settings should I use?

• D70 = II(Adobe RGB) and PSE 5 = Adobe RGB color space (for printing)
  • D70 = II(Adobe RGB) and PSE 5 = sRGB (for computer screens)
  • D70 = IIIa(sRGB) and PSE 5 = Adobe RGB color space (for printing)
  • D70 = IIIa(sRGB) and PSE 5 = sRGB (for computer screens)

I will also mention that my Viewsonic 19" LCD monitor is kept calibrated by using a Colorvision Spyder2Express Colorimeter.

I look forward to individuals suggestions.
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

garry

RE: Color Settings For Post-processing Software.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:21 am

Evening Avsfan!

The answer to this for me is that whatever you choose, sRGB of Adobe RGB, they should be the same in camera and editing software. What you choose really depends on what you do with your images.

sRGB is a smaller colour space that Adobe RGB so if you set your D70 to sRGB you will always be limiting the range of colours that it could acheive with Adobe RGB.

If you were to assign Adobe RGB to an image created in sRGB (your option 3) then some colours could look over saturated.

Many computer monitors (the cheaper ones)will only display to a similar colour gamut as defined by sRGB, so sRGB is useful as it avoids colours that cannot be accurately displayed on a monitor. Of course, if you print your images then a wider colour space would be better.

I would be setting your D70 to your option 1 and have both the camera and editing software set to a uniform colour space.

Hope this helps.

Garry
www.garryridsdale.com

viv

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:28 am

sRGB.

Accept no substitutes.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

jid

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:34 am

sRGB for a.net and any internet use, as that is all the Internet explorer will display. If you use Adobe RGB your browser will 'guess' the extra colours that A RGB uses. There are some browsers that can resolve A RGB but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head!

Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

Avsfan
Topic Author

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:28 am

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. After what has been said here and talking to some photographers and a local photo studio, I am going to go with option 1. However, this is what has been suggested:

Take the photos in Adobe RGB and then post-process with PSE 5 set to Adobe RGB. When it comes time to save the photo for the net, the photo in sRGB and go from there.

I will be making an appointment for next week to sit down with one of the photographers at the above mentioned studio and pick his brain (so-to-speak) for an hour on operating my camera (which is the same one he shoots with) and post-processing in PSE 5.

-Louis
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

jid

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:51 pm

Well when you do the conversion from Adobe RGB back to sRGB will still loose any extra colour range that you had, so you might as well save yourself a step and work in sRGB from the start. Unless you are going to have your shots professionally printed that is.

Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

Psych

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:53 pm

Hello Louis.

It may be worth you having a look at this thread, particularly the link in Phil's Reply 3.

I found a very significant difference in how my photos looked when taken using Adobe RGB - much better when the camera was set to sRGB.

All the best.

Paul

garry

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi Paul - a most interesting topic and the link to the other thread is useful.

It seems that the point here is it all depends what you are going to do with your images. There seems to be fairly conclusive evidence from the wealth of information on the Net that SRGB is the way to go if images are to be uploaded to the Net. This confirms what Louis has been told.

However, when it comes to printing the use of a wider gamut such as Adobe RGB is recommended.

For me it illustrates one of the benefits of shooting raw images, as the option to change the colour space setting remains at conversion - so if converting for the Net its sRGB and to print Adobe RGB. This embedded profile can subsequently be used throughout the editing process.

If you shoot Jpeg that option is removed. So what? well I guess the point is it doesn't matter if you only view the images on the Net, but if you are going to print your shot of 2006 say to A3 sRGB wont do it justice.

I recently attended a course with the Royal Photographic Society in Bath on Advanced Photoshop and this topic came up. A lot of the people on the course tended to print their images and were using Pro Photo RGB - now there's a topic of another thread perhaps!

I'm attending a colour management course this month, if I get anything useful to share out of it I'll be sure to post my findings.

Best wishes
Garry
www.garryridsdale.com

Avsfan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:10 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 6):
It may be worth you having a look at this thread, particularly the link in Phil's Reply 3.

Good information there.

Wow! lots of good posts so far. For me I want to try and get a lot of my photos accepted to A.net, so I want to have the best techniques. I will mention that I was told by someone else here on A.net to shoot using Adobe RGB instead of sRGB (dont remember who it was). On the other hand, I would also like to print a lot of the photos that I take either before or after they are hopefully accepted to A.net.

I am now starting to wonder if this is maybe why a lot of people have provided negative comments to my photos...because I have been shooting in RGB. Plus, if I do shoot in sRGB, how many people look at photos with their software set to RGB. This does get me onto my opinions about the screening inconsistencies here, but that is for another time.

Today I will try to test some of these theories about the differences between the 2. I will try to get photos of the same subject taken with RGB and sRGB. I can then take a look at how each of them look in PSE 5 when it is set to either RGB or sRGB.

Quoting Garry (Reply 7):
For me it illustrates one of the benefits of shooting raw images

Ever since a few months ago, I have been shooting my aviation photos in RAW. Even 2 of the guys at the photo studio I found said to shoot in RAW instead of JPG.

Thanks,

Louis