Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

Photoshop CS2 Or Elements?

Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:47 am

Surprisingly I don't own a copy of Photoshop but I was wondering if there was any distinct advantage in having the CS2 version. I have a friend who is in the design industry who has multiple (legal) licences for CS2 (so I'd get it free), but I don't mind paying the 60 or so GB Pounds for Elements if this will do the trick.

Basically, what I need to know is:

1) will the levelling/rotate tool in Elemets go in 0.1 degree increments or just 1 degree increments like Canon's own software?

2) will I really be missing some useful features if I opt out of CS2? In other words, will I be able to get the level of control I want from Elements?

Thanks in advance.

Karl

NIKV69

RE: Photoshop CS2 Or Elements?

Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:59 am

CS2 all the way. With the Raw plug in you get so much more flexability to edit your shots. Exposure, white balance etc that shooting in jpeg and elements doesn't give you.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Smalbany

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:10 am

I have CS2 and Elements 2.0. I rarely use elements any more because CS2 has a few features that Elements 2.0 does not (I like the 'measure' tool to level photos). Also 2.0 does not support RAW files - although elements 4.0 apparently does.

Commonly used photo editing tools are present in both programs such as crop, resize, levels, saturation etc. Although elements does not have curves and I do use that regularly.

I think that if you can get CS2 for free - go for it.

The only down side that I have for CS2 is if you use multiple computers you have to deactivate/activate the license each time you want to use the program on a different computer. No need to do that with elements.

there's my 2 cents,
Dan

spencer

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:10 am

If you can get CS2 free, why go for an inferior product (Elements)?
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

edoca

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
CS2 all the way.

Though this is probably correct for pros, there is absolutely no reason why you should spend several hundred $$$ for CS2. Elements, and especially its last version 5, will give you all you'll ever need.

RAW support built in, rotating as precisely as you want, lighting levels and (simplified) curves control, you name it. I'm less impressed by PS Elements 5's photo catalog option, I still stick to ACDSee for getting a rapid overview of all my pictures, but overall, if you want your own licensed copy (as opposed to your friend's CS2 license), don't spend the multiple of what a copy of PSE would cost...

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:59 am

Thanks. Perhaps the most important thing for me is levelling and rotating. I have a lovely shot I want to level ever-so-slightly, but the Canon software will only rotate in 1 degree increments, meaning it ends up either under-done or over-done. Will Elements rotate in 0.1 degree increments like CS2?

Only other things I imagine I'll use are the cloning tool (to erase the odd bird or dust-spot) and whatever features beef up colours and adjust exposure and white balance, etc. - if I shoot RAW anyway this shouldn't be a problem with Elements, should it?

Cheers,

Karl

edoca

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 5):
Will Elements rotate in 0.1 degree increments like CS2?

Yes it will.

cloning tool

whatever features beef up colours and adjust exposure and white balance

available as well.

Avsfan

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:40 am

I own PSE 5 and enjoy using it. Like mentioned above, you can rotate to .1 degree. PSE 5 also comes with the Camera RAW plug-in as part of the program. It is also true that PSE 5 has a feature to adjust color curves. There are free plug-ins that can be downloaded. Here are a few links to some free plug-ins for PSE 5.

I will admit that the organizer for PSE 5 can be stubborn at times, but other than that I feel that it is a very good part of PSE 5. The main problem that I have had is trying to get the organizer to recognize new photos after thye have been added to folder that PSE 5 is supposed to monitor so that they can be loaded into the organizer automatically. Once they are in the organizer, you can assign either single or multiple tags to each of the photos. With the organizer you can also compare photos to see which ones you would like to keep and which to delete from your respective HDD.

Here is the title of a book that I have and is highly recommended by numerous people on the net: "The Photoshop Elements 5 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby.

I would also suggest maybe visiting or joining some groups on the internet and ask questions there too. Here is one that you can take a look at and try to get some more opinions from others: http://www.flickr.com/groups/pse/

It is ultimately up to you as to which program you would like to use. I have always used either PSE 3 or 5 and enjoy both of them. This site here has many photos that were either edited by PSE 3 or 5: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avsfan/.

Louis
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

dendrobatid

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:12 pm

Jaktrax
When you got your camera an earlier version of Photoshop, Elements 2 should have been included. Why don't you simply load that onto your computer, read the instructions and see what that can do. It will certainly do all that you are asking for advice on in this thread.
You do not seem to be editing your images at all at present and I can assure you the Elements 2 will be fine to learn how to do so. There are many here who use nothing else to get their images accepted.
If you are shooting RAW, and one has to wonder why as you are not editing them, there are plenty of RAW converters around, including the one that came on the other disc with the camera.
Mick Bajcar

viv

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:14 pm

to erase the odd bird

Shame! Personally, I am very partial to the odd bird ...
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

viv

Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:30 pm

Get these things right when you take the shot. The results will be much better and you will save time.

Use your Photoshop time for levelling, cropping, sharpening and resizing.

linco22

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Karl,

Many valid points made by everyone above.

My set-up is Rawshooter Essential downlaoded for free (you could use the canon software but I like this) and PSE V4.0. Its great for most of the things I need to do.

I've been getting into portrait work lately with will friends and have been trying some creative editing and I'm learning alot but I get the impression that Elements starts to get restrictive when you push the limits.

Enjoy what ever you go for.

Regards
Colin

edoca

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:44 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 10):

Get these things right when you take the shot. The results will be much better and you will save time.

General comment: I don't get it why questions about software and how to best use it, always end up in this "improve your photography skills first" sort of thing. The question was about what software to use. Nothing against the more purist view, from those who appreciate photography skills more than postproduction. But it often sounds as if people who have software questions have no clue about photography technique.

Besides, many cameras do need corrections on the colour side, skill may not be sufficient to deal with that. What's the difference between using a filter on a lens, or a quick fix in Photoshop afterwards...

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:01 pm

A lot of you are right - I currently don't edit my shots as most of the time I don't need to.

Quoting Viv (Reply 10):

99% of the time I get everything right but it's not possible all of the time. The other day I took the photo below at BHX. Lovely rare plane, lovely light and in my opinion lovely shot. Only problem is I managed to very slightly underexpose it due to my stop compensation being set wrong against the metering system I was using. Accidental mistake, as I'm sure happens to all of us at some point. It would be nice to be able to correct such daft mistakes, which I assume Elements will do just fine?

Big version: Width: 3504 Height: 2336 File size: 3109kb

Needless to say, the shot is unedited/uncropped but simply needs lightening a bit. If I do make a mistake, it nearly always concerns exposure.

Cheers,

Karl

viv

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 13):
99% of the time I get everything right

I currently don't edit my shots as most of the time I don't need to

in my opinion lovely shot

Your modesty does you credit ....

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:04 am

Nothing to do with modesty. I put the effort in and really take the time to make sure everything's right. This is why my pics usually don't need editing, not because I'm the best aviation photographer ever. I spent about 2 minutes properly composing that shot and took 48 pictures of the same plane in the same position. That way at least one of them was guaranteed to come out perfect - except I hadn't noticed the incorrect settings and ended up with the under-exposure.

I use RAW just in case I cock things up - unlikely, given the time I take to properly check and compose, but possible.

No offence meant with the modesty, and none taken in reference to your comment about getting it right first time. I am a competent photographer (have been doing it many years) but I do make mistakes, which isn't the same as being a dummy and not getting all settings right every time I take a shot.

At the end of the day, I want/need a tool that will correct the few mistakes I make - which unfortunately normally occur when I'm photographing really interesting subjects!

Karl

linco22

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 15):
took 48 pictures of the same plane in the same position

48 Karl? Was that really neccessary?

Surely you should set-up, take it, quick check on the histo and Bobs your uncle? Unless you're unhappy with the composition why would you take so many?

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:17 am

Simple. Because I don't want to edit them if it's not completely necessary. Checking the horizon and levelling on a screen less than 2" across is almost impossible, and I don't want to be reliant on PS to keep rotating and cropping. Of those 48, only about 4 were perfect, i.e. perfectly level, perfectly in the middle, etc. Seeing as I don't currently own PS, I have to get it right in the camera - a point raised in an above comment.

If I had only taken 5 shots, what would I do if none of them were properly level or in the middle? Without PS, and with a general reluctance to do too much editing, I'm screwed!

Luckily the AI Express held long enough for me to get umpteen shots, but that doesn't happen all the time and on occasions we only manage one of two shots, especially if the subject is moving quickly (worse still if we also have a horizon in the background to concentrate on). The chances of one or two shots being absolutely perfect are not good, and that's where I need PS, just to slightly modify/tweak some rogue pics.

Karl

linco22

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:23 am

Karl,

I see your points but I'm not going to be judging a photo on its level or perfect exposure. Composure I suppose, encompasses those criteria but Its not always about the very fine details, especially for aviation photography. But you are right in striving for the perfect, and I use that loosely, photograph.

I just think you're doing it for the sake of not having the ability to change after.

Regards
Colin

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting Linco22 (Reply 18):
I just think you're doing it for the sake of not having the ability to change after.

Indeed, and that is why I want PS. I shall still strive for the best shot the camera and I can deliver, but at least pics which fall short of my 'perfect' category could be salvaged. As I learn more about PS I may find myself being a little less fussy, although I shall certainly not become too reliant upon it for making good shots out of otherwise mediocre ones. I have seen this type of complacency first hand and it does nothing to improve one's photography. The way I look at it, the less editing required in PS, the better the shot.

I am not looking at PS to 'make' my shots; rather to slightly and discreetly adjust anything I don't much like.

Cheers,

Karl

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:59 am

Just popped to PC World and bought Elements for £59.99. Wise choice? I haven't opened it yet........

Karl

linco22

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:28 am

Which version?

Regards
Colin

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:43 am

Version 5.0.