Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetav8r
Topic Author

Was This Supposed To Be Funny?

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:51 am

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...ain?filename=20070129_twowmdab.jpg

Rejected for Motive and Personal with the screener saying:

"motiv - boring! Sick of these non aviation spam window shots"

I do not think that was a very professional comment, nor is it very appropriate. Sure I am not doing an inverted low pass of JFK in an A380, but I do not think the photo is a "spam window shot" or "boring!". It has the wing of a relatively rare aircraft, over the beach, with an airport in the distance. I do not care about the rejection at all, but I do care about the way the screener worded the reason.

Alex.

kstateinALB

RE: Was This Supposed To Be Funny?

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:07 am

It's a good picture JetAv8r, and yes, his comments were indeed rude and very unproffesional. It's a great shot, nice job!
ALB, DTW, ORD, MDW, MCI, JFK, LGA, LHR, MAD, MSP, IAD, DCA, MCO, ATL, CVG, TUL, MHK, PHL, PIT, DFW, DAL, CLT, IND, AUS,

corey07850

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:08 am

Yikes... I can only suggest that comment was meant for another photo?? Either way it's quite unprofessional

Either way, I may be partial but I think it's a great shot... Watch out for the Cessnas blasting off 7R heading south along the shoreline in that area! Headed for 7FL6?

jetav8r
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:11 am

Corey,

Yep, inbound for another week in the creek! Sadly, all the Cessna's had freshly broken backs at that time so there was very little traffic in the area.

Alex.

edoca

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:20 am

I would appeal. Something must have gone wrong here I'd say. I've had a boring spam non-aviation 737-wing-window shot accepted last week...

gocaps16

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting JetAv8r (Thread starter):

Wow, so if a screener think it's a boring shot, he/she will just delete it. Oh, I see how it is.

I like the motive, and it's a sick shot dude, but that comment is very rude from whomever screened it.

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 2):
Yikes... I can only suggest that comment was meant for another photo??

I highly doubt that!! The screener meant it for that photo.

jetav8r
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:25 am

Edoca,

I do not care about having the photo accepted or not. I may appeal eventually, but for the time being, I want the photo to be visible through that link. What I care about is the screener's attitude towards a photographer.

Alex.

edoca

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:39 am

Hi Alex,
I understand. All I am saying is that I would appeal as I would believe I would "have a case". Combined with a mail to the screeners. But posting it here in the forum is certainly also a possibility. We may get some more clarity on the rules for window view motives.
All the best!

KFLLCFII

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:39 am

To hell with him. I find it highly interesting, and I find his comment utterly disgusting. That even being the case, there's nothing in the rules that prevents this type of shot from being accepted: It wasn't merely a window view with no portion of the aircraft showing and without some type of airport overview included; It was a full-fledged, full wing visible, window shot.

Alex, as much as it pains me to say it...Because you've got some *amazing* photos in the DB...If you don't upload a single shot again to this site out of sheer disgust for the crew, I fully understand.

This site doesn't deserve the effort you give it.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Avsfan

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:41 am

With a comment like that, the screener should be let go. If this screener makes comments like this, then how does he/she feel about other types of photos that he/she has volunteered to look at? Definitely very unprofessional!

My  twocents  worth.
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

Lanas

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:58 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 8):
I find his comment utterly disgusting

I agree. Completely inappropriate. He has no right for such a mood or language in the comment.

Quoting Edoca (Reply 4):
I would appeal.

Certainly, I agree with you when you say he 'has a case'. However, I think the rejection comes from the reflection of the window that can be seen on the sight of Daytona Beach airport. I don´t know if that will be approved.

Alex, don´t worry: your shot is great. Keep sending those killer pictures of yours. Good luck!!!  Wink

Cheers!  Smile
Lanas.-
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien

aussie18

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:07 pm

Abit harsh the screeners comment and shot is quite good....Site's loss its not been accepted.

viv

Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:58 pm

I agree that the shot is boring. Sure there is an airport in it, if you look hard enough, but the shot is still boring. It's a wing with a drab background. Yawn.

I think the screener's comment was spot-on.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

edoca

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 12):
but the shot is still boring.

Well some might argue the same about any picture in this database... To each his own, and last time I checked "Bad Boring" was not a rejection reason...

TransIsland

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:43 pm

I agree with the screener, even though his message could have been phrased (much) better. There are also issues such as grain and a window reflection (on the golf course?) that kill it.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Silver1SWA

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting Edoca (Reply 13):
Well some might argue the same about any picture in this database... To each his own, and last time I checked "Bad Boring" was not a rejection reason...

Exactly, and if a screener cannot handle screening shots they might find boring, or shots that aren't exactly appealing to them, then they should not be part of the screening team.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

javibi

Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:01 pm

I had no idea JeffM had been hired as a screener...

j

glapira

Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting Javibi (Reply 16):

j

LoL!!!! and... AMÉN!! Come on guys, everybody has bad days. Let's hope it was just that. I have 4 wing pictures on the queue, so I hope he doesn't reject it for the same reason! Big grin

Giorgio
Kind Regards, Radial360

ChrisH

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:10 pm

could it be the comment was meant for the next screener, but just ended up in the wrong place?

JeffM and Viv seen earlier, at the Anti-RAW Convention:

what seems to be the officer, problem?

LIPH

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:03 pm

rotfl 

I do not think that was a very professional comment, nor is it very appropriate.

checkmark 
Life sucks. Then you die. Live fast, die young.

JakTrax

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Funniest thing I've read in here for ages. So true as well........

I think Viv's comments are very close to a 'JeffM-ism' though........

Karl

IngemarE

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:01 pm

JetAv8r,
Inappropriate comment. Decent enough picture. Appeal. Move on. End of story!

On a more personal note;
The wing is just a notch too white. It almost hurts looking at it.
Nice to see parts of Daytona though! It gives me the chills everytime I see pix of KDAB, having both horrible and great memories from there.  Wink

ChrisH,

bigthumbsup 
In thrust I trust.

jetav8r
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 12):
I agree that the shot is boring. Sure there is an airport in it, if you look hard enough, but the shot is still boring. It's a wing with a drab background. Yawn.

I think the screener's comment was spot-on.

Viv,

No offense, but with the exception of a few photos, I find all of your shots boring. Does this mean they should all be rejected with a comment like the one I received? Would you be happy if the 150 photos of yours I find boring were rejected with the comment "I am sick of these boring side views of parked airplanes. motive - boring!".

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 14):
There are also issues such as grain and a window reflection (on the golf course?) that kill it.

As I have said before, I do not care if the photo is accepted. That is not the point of this thread. The screeners comment is the point.

Alex.

viv

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:16 pm

Quoting JetAv8r (Reply 22):
No offense, but with the exception of a few photos, I find all of your shots boring.

No offence taken. I don't care what you think of my shots.

jetav8r
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:20 pm

That was not my point...

viv

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting JetAv8r (Reply 24):
That was not my point...

I know that.

If you read my first reply again, you may notice that I said nothing about whether the rejection was right or wrong - I only referred to the screener's comment. If I had screened it, I would have rejected it for "Quality", not for "Motiv".

The screener's comment was spot-on.

[Edited 2007-01-30 14:29:18]

jorge1812

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:46 pm

Probably a comment made on error. It's 100% aviation related. Shut down the discussion till one from the Crew explains further details.

Georg

TransIsland

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting JetAv8r (Reply 22):
As I have said before, I do not care if the photo is accepted. That is not the point of this thread. The screeners comment is the point.

And I agreed that the tone of the screeners comment was out of place. But we have to bear in mind that often times writing comes across in a very different way to the author's original intention, too.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

clickhappy

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:33 am

I was the screener who made the comment.

Alex - no offense was meant. You have 14 shots from the same reg, and this one was of a non-aviation theme.

The comment was made for my fellow screeners to read. It was not meant to be seen by the photographer. I am not sure how this happened. The comments that we pass back and forth are not always of the politticaly correct variety.

I did not intend to reject that image, again not sure why it happened, I HQ'd it, but added my personal feeling on the matter. All day long I screen photos that I don't 'like' or disagree with the motive, but still pass them on to the other screeners.

Alex - if you appeal the shot I am sure it will be accepted. I again offer my apologies.

I am going to offer my resgination to the head screeners.

9V

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 28):
I am going to offer my resgination

No need for that - mistakes happen. I'm sure Alex won't hold a grudge under the circumstances. The shot does have obvious flaws.  Smile

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:22 am

I was the screener who made the comment.

Now there's a surprise !

The comment was made for my fellow screeners to read. It was not meant to be seen by the photographer. I am not sure how this happened. The comments that we pass back and forth are not always of the politticaly correct variety.

Nice to know someone's hard work is treated with such contempt  Yeah sure

I did not intend to reject that image, again not sure why it happened, I

Perhaps you were stitched up !

All day long I screen photos that I don't 'like' or disagree with the motive, but still pass them on to the other screeners.

Shows a good objective opinion.

I don't see the need for that. Just maybe a lesson learned. Something to be kept in mind for the future

maiznblu_757

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Viv (Reply 23):
No offence taken. I don't care what you think of my shots.

checkmark 

Quoting 747438 (Reply 30):

Well well well. Royal came on here and explained what happened yet you feel the need to keep "kicking" him while hes down. You are such a big man!  sarcastic 

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 20):
Funniest thing I've read in here for ages.........

I have heard some reeeeaaaallly funny things recently...However, I seriously doubt you would find them one bit laughable.  laughing   highfive   rotfl 

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 31):
Well well well. Royal came on here and explained what happened yet you feel the need to keep "kicking" him while hes down. You are such a big man!

If you read my post fully, you would see I wasn't knocking him. Far from it

JakTrax

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 31):
I have heard some reeeeaaaallly funny things recently...However, I seriously doubt you would find them one bit laughable.

I don't follow.....

Fact is, this matter is similar to phoning a shop, they think they've pressed the privacy/silence button then they proceed to slag you off. Would you think highly of the offending sales assistant? Would you want to deal with that person again? Would you even shop there again?

At the end of the day, I think it might have been irresponsible on the part of the screener. What one person dislikes, others love. I hate cockpit or interior shots and find them really boring, whatever's out the window - yet I love sunny, side-on shots of parked or moving/flying airliners. To slag off a picture just because the individual doesn't like it is unfair. In fact, I think I'd be more annoyed by the fact that the comment had been passed regarding my photo behind my back. At least have the decency to slag off someone's work to their face.

On the other hand, no-one would have been any the wiser had the comment not slipped out and I think the screener coming on here with an open apology is a good start. As someone said above, perhaps a lesson learned rather than a necessary step-down from the position.

maiznblu_757

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting 747438 (Reply 32):

Ohhhh my bad. I stopped reading after the first 3 remarks you made.   

[Edited 2007-01-30 18:15:58]

ptrjong

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:34 am

Please don't resign, Royal. No need to. It's obvious now that you only intended to give the other screeners a personal opinion on this type of shots. A wrong button pressed, that's all.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Psych

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:45 am

Time for level heads here.

Alex was justifiably upset - he uploaded a photo that A.net deems to be an acceptable motive. The comment could look like it was meant for him. Now whether such shots from the cabin are more about landscapes than aircraft is another debate - a worthy one, but another one, all the same.

I think we all know the screeners communicate about shots and - like the rest of us - will say all kinds of things in 'private' that they would not say publicly. If all our thoughts could be 'heard', or if we were all 'caught out' like this I think many of the rest of us would be following Royal and offering our resignations - or more likely be sacked/divorced etc. A screener making such a comment purposely to an uploader would, for me, be a serious matter. This appears to be an accident, and has to be judged with that in mind.

Royal has explained the background and publicly apologised to Alex. That is appropriate and necessary. Do we really need blood?

All the best.

Paul

clickhappy

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:49 am

No need to take shots at each other.

I do not think I was trying to "slag off" on the photographer. I am not familiar with that term, but I was offering my personal view on a photo, anything non-commercial aviation is "spam" to me. Doesn't mean I don't like Alex, or I just reject photos that I don't find appealing, quite the opposite infact. Except this time. Like I said, I am not sure what happened.

It doesn't look like the Head Screeners want my head on a stick, so that is good. It was an honest mistake. However, it has caused embaressment for Johan, my fellow crew members, and for me.

Hopefully we can put this behind us.

Royal

JakTrax

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:53 am

I agree with you Paul but I think many here are critical of the negative comments made about a shot which, apart from the screener in question not liking it, is perfectly fine. If it had been a crap shot then the comments would be a little more understandable but that level of criticism should be reserved for a clearly bad shot - not one which just happens to be from a perspective an individual doesn't like.

Once again, expecting an obligatory stand down is a little harsh, and anyone who thinks this is appropriate should think again - as should the screener when tempted to make such inflammatory comments in the future.

Karl

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 37):
It doesn't look like the Head Screeners want my head on a stick,

I don't think anyone else does either.

It was an honest mistake.

And took a big man to admit it.

JakTrax

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:15 am

Well I forgot about it 20 minutes ago and so should anyone with an ounce of common sense. Mistake made, apology given, the end.

Karl

javibi

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting 747438 (Reply 39):
And took a big man to admit it.

I agree; hats off to Royal for the way he is dealing with this.

Amen.

Quoting Psych (Reply 36):
or more likely be sacked/divorced

LOL.

Cheers

j

P.S: Oh, how I wish I could see the screeners' comments abut my pics!! I am sure it will make me laugh more than once!!
 Big grin

edoca

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:42 am

I would think that's the case after such a professional reaction - hats off sir!

Glad to hear it was after all something that went wrong. And nice insight in the screening process...  Wink

TZ

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:56 am

If you know the screeners personally, you'd find we are all a bit odd - that goes with the territory. Anybody willing to sit in front of their PC for hours and hours, looking at other people's images for no tangible personal benefit is slightly unhinged!

We pass comments to one another to help in making decisions, but also to pass humour and lighten the mood. I have often laughed out loud at the comments from previous screeners. But, like I said, we are a bit odd.

Royal meant no harm and the bottom line is that he did HQ the shot, which it was his professional duty (at anet) to do.

I admire Royal for his apology, and rest assured that our team will be keeping Royal on board.

TZ
TZ Aviation - Aeropuerto de los Banditos Team Images