Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AdamWright
Topic Author

Thats All For Me Folks..

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:57 am

Ever since I first stumbled onto this website one fateful day in High School 7 years ago.. this site had been something special to me. It gave me a place to come and freshen up on all the latest news in Airline/military aviation. But I'm sure that story is the same for thousands and thousands of other young aviation enthusiasts... as a matter of fact I know it is.

However, not only did this site nurture my love for aviation, it brought the wonder and amazement of photography into my life. These are a couple photos that still stand out today that I remember flabbergasted me when I first saw them:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Garfinkel

So, when I had the money, I made my first purchase of the Canon 300D and my little stint on airliners.net began.

I'm not looking for attention or whatev.. I just want to give you photographers a heads up. Because you are the guys that gave me the feed back, rejected my photos, and some of you guys became my best friends. Photography started to get in the way of a childhood dream though. To be a professional aviator. I let photography make choices over my real passion, flying. which is what has ultimately lead to this decision.

No doubt it was fun going out by myself on calm summer afternoons, or with a crazy bunch of photog friends in the early morning to make my 1000 photos.. but sitting in the small cessna with a student teaching him S-Turns and Landings is more rewarding than any "Ramp shot" or "jumpseat shot" could ever be.

I look forward to all the amazing photos you guys continue to produce on a daily routine.

... now lets go fly some planes!!!

-Adam

View Large View Medium

Photo © Adam Wright

draigonair

RE: Thats All For Me Folks..

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:47 am

Sad to see you leave.

But one question, im in middle of the selection process for a Flight Academy but i will still keep on shooting! What made you decide to stop all together? Or is this not the case? Would be shame mate, as you can always bring cam with you where ever you fly  Smile

Anyways good luck!

cheers
Nick
cheers

JRadier

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:22 am

Adam,

I knew this was coming and it's a bloody shame. Looking at your photo's was always a pleasure and meeting you in LAX in 2004 was great! All the best and see you soon in DAB!

Jurgen

9V

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:27 am

Thanks for some lovely shots Adam.  Smile

Bruce

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:41 am

Adam, just becoming a professional aviator doesn't have to be the end. In fact, there are many photographers on here who do just that! One example is Gary Chambers - professional aviator, military airman, and family man. You could have the camera with you, you never know when or where you will see a good photo op. Granted, you won't have as much free time to hang out at the observation areas, but you might be deadheading, waiting for a student to show up, making a connection, having a long layover, or just flying for fun!

Professional aviators can get the best pictures because they have access to the right places. I have enjoyed your work so far!

Bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

sulman

Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:08 am

Adam,

Everything in moderation. I know if you're the kind of person that approaches interests with a single-minded mentality it is very hard to 'take it easy' on a given activity. I'm a bit 'all or nothing' myself, but for me photography is one of those rare hobbies that I do enjoy just dabbling in.

I hope you do come back and contribute some more.

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

flyfisher1976

Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:38 am

Quoting AdamWright (Thread starter):
Photography started to get in the way of a childhood dream though.

Are you one of those people who is unable to chew gum and walk at the same time?

I'm not quite sure I get it...you have decided to give up photography because you are persuing a new career? It seems kind of silly that you would invest 100% of your waking time into any one endeveaur. So are you saying that you have absolutely no time to invest in this (or any) hobby or continue to submit photos here? If this is your line of thinking, it is only a matter of time before aviation will "run your life" as well.

ptrjong

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:37 am

I don't get it either. I can understand you no longer feel like spending hours at an airport fence, but why not carry a small camera as a pilot for an occasional shot of a rare, well-lit aircraft you come across, or even something like this.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mario Aurich

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

graphic

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:10 am

I thought we agreed over some midnight villiage inn pies and coffee that we were gonna go spotting one day...  Wink
Demand Media fails at life

f4wso

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:08 pm

I still hope we get to meet sometime, either in a parking garage, airport fence, or across a throttle quadrant. It is encouraging that you are enjoying three dimensional movement AND instruction. Mentoring new pilots keeps the dream alive. Even though I fly commercially and navigate militarily on a regular basis, I still get rejuvenated when I take a Civil Air Patrol or ROTC cadet on an orientation flight. Their enthusiasm keeps me from being complacent.

I have long kept a camera in my flight bag. I ended up majoring in cartography and remote sensing, working for civilian and government map makers, and stopped hemorrhaging aviation funds with aerial photography jobs.
I hope to someday do a book called "A Camera in My flight Bag" showcasing my world travels.

Fortunately, as you shift your focus to flying, you don't have to burn any bridges. It is quite healthy to back off one pursuit to concentrate on another. You don't have to burn any bridges. I am getting back into doing more flight simming with the release of FSX. That didn't keep me from scanning 250 slides last weekend  Smile

Most of my photography stems from an aviation history hobby. I dawned on me too late that sitting in the Air Force pickup doing Runway Safety Officer duties for the fighter operations was a great way to photography airliners. Eastern, Delta, Ozark, Piedmont, etc. were all too common. As they started disappearing, I thought I should take pictures now to enjoy twenty years later.

Photography also makes a nice visual logbook. Looking back on the pictures I took from 1990 to 1992 when I worked for State Aerial Farm Statistics, I can easily remember all the little airports I visited with antique aircraft, museums, flyins and friendly folks.

In closing, Airliners.net has been very very good to me. It has allowed me to showcase my images to a much larger audience than anything I could have developed on my own. More importantly, I have been able to meet many likeminded individuals that apprecate the beauty of flight. Some face to face like Bob Garrard and Ken Cheung. Others, so far only online such as Bruce, yourself, and many others.

It is great to be involved in aviation no matter what the capacity.

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

EGBJ

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Hi Adam,

Great last shot!...wish you all the best for your future endeavours  Smile

ThierryD

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi Adam!

You're right, no photo will ever be nearly as rewarding then the pleasure you can give someone by introducing her/him to the wonderful world of flying.
I did somewhat the inverse to your approach as I was already in the process of becoming a professional aviator when I realized how great it could be to "freeze" flying moments onto slide/chip. Though I already photographed before this and A.net got me all started again.
I can only encourage you to continue taking as many photos as possible as no doubt you'll experience many most beautiful sights (like those: https://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?album=5712 )
during your flying career but no matter how strong feelings of such sights are at that given moment the memory of them will fade away with time and then there's gonna be nothing more rewarding then being able to relive these moments by looking at photos from that time.
Some great moments of mine that I'd never want to forget:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thierry Deutsch
View Large View Medium

Photo © Thierry Deutsch

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thierry Deutsch
View Large View Medium

Photo © Thierry Deutsch

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thierry Deutsch

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thierry Deutsch

And if one of those photographed moments should meet A.net criteria don't hesitate to share it with us.  Wink

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

AF086

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:32 pm

Adam,

Personally I think you have to do what you must but I don't think you should quit shooting. We have many pilots who now and then reward us with stunning shots like these:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fabio Laranjeira - Contato Radar

View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier Guerrero - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ander Aguirre - AirTeamImages

Anyway, hope you stick with photography and look forward on your new work. And when you drop by again let me know it'd be nice to meet again.

Happy landings!
Please insert a "smart" joke here.

walter2222

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting EGBJ (Reply 10):
Great last shot!...wish you all the best for your future endeavours

Great shot indeed, Adam! But I am pretty sure that your 1000th shot will not be your last! Never say never  Smile

I do wish you all the best and many happy landings!

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

flyingzacko

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:19 am

Dear Adam,

sorry to hear that this will be your last shot on here. You probably don't know it but, I once went to ERAU myself during your freshman year. We never actually met though, because I didn't start photographing until after I left Daytona Beach. Whenever I saw one of your photos on this site though it made me think of the good times I had back in Florida, whether your shot was taken at DAB, MCO, or the Riddle flight line. If I'm correct, you're graduating this may, so I wish you all the best for your life as a future pilot (meaning a pilot of big planes, as I know that you already mastered the props) and I hope that all goes well for you. Anyway, you will always be a great addition to this site, and who knows, maybe one day we'll see another of your shots on here.

Cheers,
Sebastian

P.S: Sorry for all the cornyness here, but I think Adam is a great photographer.
Canon 40D + 24-70 f/2.8 L + 70-200 f/4 L + Speedlite 430EX

photopilot

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:43 am

Good Luck Adam in your Aviation career. But I am also sure that some day in the future, sitting on a flightdeck at FL390, watching a beautiful sunrise through the screen, contrails blazing across the sky, the urge to once again pick up a camera and capture the magic of aviation images will again hit upon you.

Until that day in the future, enjoy life and aviation.

Steve

corey07850

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:19 am

Nice job Adam...

Since we were at ERAU at the same time nearly all the Riddle pics you've taken have been planes I've flown so I certainly have a reason to appreciate your work...

Best of luck!

Chukcha

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:50 am

Goog luck Adam! All the best to you in your flying career.

Somehow, though, I believe one day you'll come back  Smile ...

dbudd

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:52 pm

Then you come out to LAS and fly me around while I take shots of departing aircraft. You get to live your dream and I get to ride along.

Dave

atomother

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:12 pm

Adam, are you smoking crack? Keep the photos going man.

Some of the most fun photography you can do is to take photos of your students.

You are required to supervise your student's first solo, may as well watch it through a camera lens. Some of my most memorable photos are of my student's first solo. I even got a few of them on here when the lighting was right.

Where are you going to CFI at? If you are looking at airlines, it shouldn't be long if you are willing to move. Many places have mins at 600/100.

Oh yeah, and if you get the chance, drop by jetcareers.com, that site has been very helpful to me!

Trust me though, every CFI has plenty of time to take some pictures... No way around that!

Tim Samples
CFI/II/MEI

f4wso

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:52 pm

Another thought just popped into my head to try to fill that massive vacuum. YOUR OWN images make good stock photos to enhance your ground training sessions. It brings the dream closer to your students with that personal connection between you and your illustrations.

A couple of my favorite stock images are a Pinnacle CRJ doing a no-flap landing. I saw it was lower on the glide path and noticibly faster than that normal traffic. The other is this photo of the powerline/pipeline patrol plane flying past MSP. It was taken from the overlook by Lloyds BBQ plant on the east side of the Minnesota River. The full image shows the close proximity to MSP with the hangars, parking garage, and red tails in the background.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Chambers

Other hobbies can also serve this purpose. I did a presentation for Civil Air Patrol and JROTC cadets on aircraft instruments. I did screenshots of several of my Flight Simulator airplanes to show a timeline of instrument development and placement. Course development can be fun. Certainly much more fun than working on taxes but the -11F temperatures discourage me from photographing today.

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work