JRadier
Topic Author

Motive Help

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:50 am

I've recently been shooting some close-ups at AMS and I'm wondering what would and what wouldn't be acceptable here. I know the photo's are small, but it's about motive, not quality.

First a rejected one, I can see the reason tho.
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...ns/big/20070429_AMS15aprilJR-4.jpg

Then some shots I'm not too sure about:
http://jurgenradier.com/Fencecheck/FCJR-1.jpg

http://jurgenradier.com/Fencecheck/FCJR-6.jpg

http://jurgenradier.com/Fencecheck/FCJR-7.jpg

http://jurgenradier.com/Fencecheck/FCJR-11.jpg

http://jurgenradier.com/Fencecheck/FCJR-13.jpg

http://jurgenradier.com/Fencecheck/FCJR-14.jpg

Hope to get some input,

Jurgen

cxsjr

RE: Motive Help

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:16 am

In number order:

1: I have it in my mind that waving pilots was a no-no these days?

2: a bit blown-out on the windows and also motive issues?

3 & 4: nice shots although 4 might be a little dark?

5: nice shot but I think cropping the roof off might be a mistake .... try including the whole roof?

6: hmmmmm, again a nice shot, perhaps a little tightly cropped at the top but not sure it will be accepted simply on motive.

Hope this helps a little  smile 
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

acontador

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:19 am

Hi Jurgen,

We have a similar taste for close-ups, but yous seem to have a better acceptance rate than mine  Wink

In same order (ONLY commenting on motive):
1. I cannot see the problem with this one - a motivated nose close-up, showing plenty of detail.
2. Don't think it will work - I trust you want to show engine/landing gear, but they are way down in the frame, and engine just full side on is not that interesting (for this site). Just as a side note, I have many similar ones, some submitted but all rejected...
3. Don't think this will work either as shown. Personally I would crop closer to the nose as to have the cockpit more towards the center of the frame.
4. This one looks OK to me.
5. This one looks OK to me.
6. Same as 2., but I think this one could work if you just crop focusing on the engine and forget about everything else.

Might be completely wrong, but at least I hope to give you a different view on your pictures!
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

eadster

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:35 am

Why not shoot the whole aircraft? The close-ups are great, don't get me wrong, but its not showing anything that will draw people in. My eyes are wandering around the photo thinking, "whats he wanting me to look at?".

3 and 4 are the only ones I think that stand a chance for here.

cxsjr

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:03 pm

Hi again Jurgen,

Quoting Acontador (Reply 2):

Quoting Eadster (Reply 3):

I guess these replies just go to show us all how photography is so very subjective; it really is down to the individual viewing the picture in what they see or choose to see. I was looking at some of the other pictures on your website and I have to say that the one which most caught my eye was this:

This is a great, great shot which was well spotted and superbly captured. The colours are extremely pleasing and the image is razor sharp. Sadly, I'm not sure it's one for airliners but it's most definitely a jewel in your personal collection .... my absolute respect to you for this shot!

[Edited 2007-04-30 09:03:52]

eadster

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:58 pm

Don't get me wrong - that was from an anet perspective. I really like the shots. Anything different is great, but I can't see anet going for them.

But I really like the reflection shot above. Now that is not your usual aviation shot.

acontador

Tue May 01, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 4):
I guess these replies just go to show us all how photography is so very subjective

Yes, it is. But this is A.net, and contrary to what many people seem to still think, it's a Database and NOT a photography site, thus all images should be judged according to A.net acceptance criteria (which BTW is what I was trying to do...). While I like Jurgen's pic, it's clearly not for A.net.

cxsjr

Tue May 01, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting Acontador (Reply 6):
thus all images should be judged according to A.net acceptance criteria (which BTW is what I was trying to do...

Sorry Andres if I caused offence; I wasn't having a dig at your comment, I was merely pointing out how even different people interpret the A.net acceptance criteria in different ways. Your views differed to my views, my views were different to somebody elses views - and who's to say which of us is right or wrong. Even some screeners will accept a shot which another might reject - "c'est la vie" as they say.

Apologies if you thought I was having a go at your remarks as I certainly was not ....  sorry 

INNflight

Tue May 01, 2007 4:00 am

3, 4 and 5 are really lovely Jurgen....especially no. 5, there are so many details to see. It's well-lit, the piece of luggage is just perfect and makes one wonder why it stands there lonely on the apron, and the yellow and red also works in favour of you.

I'd definitely give it a go, if it gets motiv, nevermind....it's a stunner for me  Wink

Cheers,
Florian
Jet Visuals

bmibaby737

Tue May 01, 2007 4:04 am

Fantasitc shots!

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 4):
This is a great, great shot which was well spotted and superbly captured. The colours are extremely pleasing and the image is razor sharp. Sadly, I'm not sure it's one for airliners but it's most definitely a jewel in your personal collection .... my absolute respect to you for this shot!

Totally agree, awesome shot!  Smile

acontador

Tue May 01, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 7):
Sorry Andres if I caused offence;

No problem at all Stuart!  Smile

JRadier
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 am

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll upload a few I guess.

Quoting Acontador (Reply 2):
2. Don't think it will work - I trust you want to show engine/landing gear, but they are way down in the frame,

While it might be a motive (that's why I asked), I don't think centering the gear and engine will work, as the only thing you add is tarmac and you cut through the windows, which would be a motive anyway.

Quoting Eadster (Reply 3):
Why not shoot the whole aircraft?

Believe me, I got plenty of those! However, I like shooting something different and another KL 737 shot from the terrace is not going to add to much to this site I think. I did shoot them, but it's not upload worthy for me (motive wise)

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 4):
I have to say that the one which most caught my eye was this:

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 9):
Totally agree, awesome shot! Smile

Thanks guys, it's one of my favorites from that day as well. However, I didn't include it here because it wouldn't stand any chance.

Quoting Eadster (Reply 5):
Anything different is great, but I can't see anet going for them.

Fair enough, that's why I asked here.

Quoting INNflight (Reply 8):
I'd definitely give it a go, if it gets motiv, nevermind....it's a stunner for me Wink

I probably will, thanks for the kind words anyway!

Jurgen

JRadier
Topic Author

Sun May 13, 2007 6:33 pm

Just a small update, the A330 nose shot got through it's first screening and then got shot for motive.

ThierryD

Sun May 13, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 12):
Just a small update, the A330 nose shot got through it's first screening and then got shot for motive.

Hi Jurgen!

Wouldn't you have the shot at a little wider angle as I got a similar shot accepted only a few days ago of a KLM MD11?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thierry Deutsch

Not sure if that's what you want to show but it might be worth a try.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

JRadier
Topic Author

Sun May 13, 2007 7:20 pm

Hey Thierry,

I do have such a shot but it didn't have the appeal for me that this shot does have