Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

andyhunt
Head Screener
Topic Author

Photography Help At JFK, EWR & LGA

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:06 am

Hi Guys,

Next week I will be off for my summer holidays to New York. I am hoping to get some time in at the New York airports. I have checked out the NYC Aviation site for photography locations and can see the locations at JFK and LGA. LGA looks ok, but it seems at JFK you need a car to find the spots.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with EWR and JFK. I will not be mobile (i.e. no car) and was hoping someone could help me with:

1) Are there any spots at Newark within walking or public transport distance
2) Likewise for JFK, any spots that I can get to via foot / public transport?

Will only be photographing Mon-Thurs as Fir-Sun is weekend family time....would be crucified otherwise Big grin

Thanks in advance for any tips / help offered

Andrew

NIKV69

RE: Photography Help At JFK, EWR & LGA

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:30 am

Without a car you are at a dis-advantage. Public transport can get you to some of the spots. I think at JFK you can get to most of the spots but some walking will be involved. I may shoot Mon and Tues. Shoot me your cell # via PM here and I can help you with the JFK spots. EWR will be a little challenge.

andyhunt
Head Screener
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks Nicholas! Really appreciate that! Will send via PM shortly!

Regards

Andrew

southpaw8669

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:21 pm

Andrew,

I may be able to meet you during the Afternoon hours over at JFK.

Eric

aagold

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:13 am

Andy

Would love to meet with you, but your limitation of Mon. to Thurs. makes it difficult. I work Mon. to Thurs. until 2 p.m. making trips to LGA and JFK difficult. EWR, however, is very do able for an afternoon. So, let me know if you want to do EWR one afternoon. If you reconsider and are willing to do Friday let me know. I'm available the whole day and we can hit JFK, LGA or EWR. Where will you be staying while in the area?

Art Brett

NIKV69

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting AAGOLD (Reply 4):
I work Mon. to Thurs. until 2 p.m.

Come on Art the mounds don't even get good till 5:30!

Alibo5NGN

Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting AndyHunt (Thread starter):
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with EWR and JFK. I will not be mobile (i.e. no car) and was hoping someone could help me with

Andy,

You can get to EWR by New Jersey Transit or Amtrak trains from Madison Square Garden/Penn Station New York. From Newark Airport Station, you can take the Air Train to all three terminals. Security is very tight at EWR and spotting around the perimeters of the airport is discouraged. Spotting from the IKEA/Toys 'R' Us parking lot is discouraged. There are restaurants in Terminals A and B from which you can freely spot. I prefer the one at Terminal B because of the International flights. The only snag here is that the windows are tinted a bit. There are also open (smoking) areas at Terminal A and B where spotting is allowed but you will need at least 300mm - 500mm lens.

There is an area along Route 78 East across from the Hilton and Sheraton Hotels about 1/4 mile before the toll gates leading to the Turnpike. You can get away with an hour or two of spotting by the side of the road/field taking shots of take offs or landings. The draw back here is that you absolutely need a car to get to this spot. I work on the 14th floor of an office building in Newark, about 3 miles from the airport. I can view the entire airport from my office with or without a pair of binoculars. At this time of the year there is a lot of heat haze. In the morning when there is no heat haze, the planes are back lit by the sun which is at the east of the airport. The main runways run North to South. The best time is late in the evening after 6 pm.

Good luck

Ken.

andyhunt
Head Screener
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:23 am

Guys,

Thanks for all of the help offered.....what a great bunch we have here. I appreciate all of the info.

Let me get to New York, where if you think that the majority of negotiations take place at the UN, WRONG! They will be taking place at my apartment! Big grin and sort out timings with the wife! Then I will be in touch again, either through this thread or via PM.

I'm staying in the Upper East Side.

Cheers!

Andrew

andyhunt
Head Screener
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:43 pm

Had a good day yesterday with NIKV69, thanks! Big grin

But as usual, day got off to the worst start possible, went to planview park at LGA and within 5 mins...yes 5 mins NYPD turned up and told me that because of 9/11, photographing airplanes was not allowed....sigh. I have since been told by Nic and Art that is not the case, but as a tourist, sometimes it is difficult to argue with the cops  Sad

Doesn't mean that I'll give up, but it does put a dampener on one's efforts to get some nice pics.....I'll be back again in the next few days, just need some good weather!

Andrew

NIKV69

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting AndyHunt (Reply 8):
Had a good day yesterday with NIKV69, thanks

Your more than welcome Andy! I am glad we went to JFK instead after I picked you up at LGA, you got to see B6's 100th 320 which was nice. Don't mind the police, they most likely saw you were from overseas and did that to scare you. At least you got to see some nice traffic at Kennedy and of course the best German food in the land. I am available rest of your stay so as soon as the sun comes back we will hit it.

mikephotos

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:39 am

Andy, next time you go out to Plainview Park call the police desk at 718-533-3900 and let them know your intentions. That way when a cruiser shows-up you can tell them to contact the desk sgt. and leave you alone.

Mike

ANITIX87

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:41 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):
I am available rest of your stay so as soon as the sun comes back we will hit it.

Hey guys. I work in Manhattan, and would LOVE to come with you if you don't mind another person tagging along. Any of the airports are fine, though EWR or LGA would be easier for me. Don't, by any means, make plans based on me, but if you decide to go, either PM me on here, or e-mail me the day before!

TIS

NIKV69

Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting Mikephotos (Reply 10):
Andy, next time you go out to Plainview Park call the police desk at 718-533-3900 and let them know your intentions. That way when a cruiser shows-up you can tell them to contact the desk sgt. and leave you alone.

I just missed the whole incident by minutes. I had pen and paper ready to take down badge numbers and names. No such law and nothing wrong with shooting at that park.

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 11):
Hey guys. I work in Manhattan, and would LOVE to come with you if you don't mind another person tagging along. Any of the airports are fine, though EWR or LGA would be easier for me. Don't, by any means, make plans based on me, but if you decide to go, either PM me on here, or e-mail me the day before!

TIS

I will shoot you a PM.

aagold

Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:46 am

Well Andrew ... Welcome to New York Big grin Now when you go home you can say you've experienced the real New York Experience. It's unfortunate we have to put up with such things as our authorities lying to us (it's not illegal to photograph airplanes at Planeview Park), but it's a sign of the times since 9/11. So, we grin and bear it, ocassionally argue with them and, unfortunately, ocassionally take a ride to the police station for further questioning.

Better luck next time.  airplane   bigthumbsup 

Art

NIKV69

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting AAGOLD (Reply 13):
unfortunately, ocassionally take a ride to the police station for further questioning.

I told Andy about that, especially how you told them you were driving your own car to the station house.

njgtr82

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):

Nick do you bring everyone to that restaurant? Lol, it was very good though. By the way its Bill from nyca.

aagold

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:03 am

Yes, he brings everyone to that restaurant ... he's secretly German  Silly

Art

andyhunt
Head Screener
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:56 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies......I got a good laugh out of them, and a strong feeling of solidarity! I feel a lot better than yesterday Big grin

Just got back from another quick session with NIKV69 and this was much much better...!

Mike, do you mean call the number when I arrive and tell them that I will be photographing!?

Regards

Andrew

NIKV69

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting Njgtr82 (Reply 15):
Nick do you bring everyone to that restaurant? Lol, it was very good though. By the way its Bill from nyca.

Been there twice in the last two days, actually Lunch yesterday was the best. More of the locals in there and myself and Andy were the only non - Germans there. It was grand. Tonight after I dropped Andy off I stopped in for tar tar at the bar and a couple of beers while watching the Yankee game. Heaven!  cloudnine 

Quoting AAGOLD (Reply 16):
Yes, he brings everyone to that restaurant ... he's secretly German

Art

Not last summer I wasn't! I have even thought of going in there with my Italy jersey on, that could be interesting.

Quoting AndyHunt (Reply 17):
Just got back from another quick session with NIKV69 and this was much much better...!

Yes the sun will do that!

CO777
Screener

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi Art,at least when i was in NY we didnt see any police.Even in EWR.Along with the sunny weather we had.
Jason Whitebird

san747

Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:42 pm

Is anyone going to be around on Friday? I'm going to be down in the city then and I'd love to shoot with some of NYC's best! Plus, I've met very few A.netters, so if anyone is available and interested, please let me know via PM!

Alberto Riva

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi everybody, I'm also in Manhattan and free afternoons this week, and more than happy to join a photo expedition to LGA or JFK. Feel free to message me ... oh, I do NOT have a car ... like most Manhattanites ... but I'll gladly chip in if we need to rent one.
AR

ANITIX87

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting San747 (Reply 20):
Is anyone going to be around on Friday? I'm going to be down in the city then and I'd love to shoot with some of NYC's best! Plus, I've met very few A.netters, so if anyone is available and interested, please let me know via PM!

Quoting Alberto riva (Reply 21):
Hi everybody, I'm also in Manhattan and free afternoons this week, and more than happy to join a photo expedition to LGA or JFK. Feel free to message me ... oh, I do NOT have a car ... like most Manhattanites ... but I'll gladly chip in if we need to rent one.

Hey, guys. I'm free Friday afternoon. Since NIKV69 seems to know the area, we should try to convince him to show us around (you there, NIKV69?). I work until 5PM though I can almost definitely get out early as I've worked a ton of overtime lately. I work in Manhattan so I'll take the subway most likely, though if this isn't practical (let me know, anyone who can recommend otherwise) I'll have to find alternate means.

TIS

NIKV69

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:03 pm

If the sun is out I will be there. 5 is when you can attempt to shoot. Before that is impossible this time of year. Take the subway and call me I will come fetch you.

san747

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 23):
If the sun is out I will be there. 5 is when you can attempt to shoot. Before that is impossible this time of year. Take the subway and call me I will come fetch you.

Where do you want us to meet you? JFK?

727LOVER

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:34 am

Andy, next time you go out to Plainview Park call the police desk at 718-533-3900 and let them know your intentions.

What precinct is this? Or is this the airport police? Does LGA/PA own and operate that park?

NIKV69

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting San747 (Reply 24):
Where do you want us to meet you? JFK?

Yea, take the subway and give me a call. The wx looks like crap the next few days. Hope it improves.

ANITIX87

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 26):
Yea, take the subway and give me a call. The wx looks like crap the next few days. Hope it improves.

Ok. I'll take the subway to the Mott St. station in Rockaway Beach. What time should I be there? Will we go on foot from there? How will I recognize you? I can be there anytime as of 5:00. Like you said, hopefully the weather improves. When does the light get too low for shooting? Just so I know when I can plan on being back home.

TIS

mikephotos

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting AndyHunt (Reply 17):
Mike, do you mean call the number when I arrive and tell them that I will be photographing!?

Yes, call the number when you get there and tell the officer that answer the phone who you are and that you'll be photographing at the Park. Tell him it's a curiosity call so he's aware ahead of time incase he gets a ton of calls from people about some "nut" taking pictures of airplanes  Smile Last time I was there an officer responding to such calls gave me the # and said what we are doing is no problem at all but it's nice to know so when they get calls they can say yeah, we know about the "nut" already.

Of course, there is always the chance some idiot answering the phone says no, you can't do that it's illegal but I've never had that problem nor would I let it go without a long long conversation with him and his higher-ups  Wink

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 25):
What precinct is this? Or is this the airport police? Does LGA/PA own and operate that park?

I'm not sure of the exact precinct # but it's the NYPD pct that handles the area. It is NYPD and not PAPD.

Mike

NIKV69

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 27):
Ok. I'll take the subway to the Mott St. station in Rockaway Beach. What time should I be there? Will we go on foot from there? How will I recognize you? I can be there anytime as of 5:00. Like you said, hopefully the weather improves. When does the light get too low for shooting? Just so I know when I can plan on being back home.

I will PM you my cell if I haven't already, no walking I will drive us around.

visityyj

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting Mikephotos (Reply 28):
Tell him it's a curiosity call

courtesy call I think you mean.

mikephotos

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:01 am

oops

Quoting Visityyj (Reply 30):
courtesy call I think you mean.

Hahaha, yeah I think I meant courtesy  Smile Guess I had something else on my mind when I was typing that.

Mike

san747

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:45 am

Looks like the weather will be crappy in the morning, but OK by the afternoon... high of 84 with partly cloudy skies. Worth it?

andrej

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:06 pm

Hey all,

are you guys still planning to go to EWR? If you do not mind is it possible to tag along?

Cheers,
Andrej

san747

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Hey guys... Sorry, I won't be able to get down into the city tomorrow until about 7:30 or 8 due to a bunch of stuff I need to do beforehand... I thought I could pull it off or skip something, but I couldn't.

If you guys end up doing some JFK shooting, have fun! I don't know when the next time will be when I'm out in NY, but hopefully sometime before winter.

ANITIX87

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Andrej (Reply 33):
are you guys still planning to go to EWR? If you do not mind is it possible to tag along?

Hey, Andrej. JFK today. The sun seems to be holding up.

TIS

NIKV69

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:49 pm

Yea looks like it could be a go if this holds up. Got my fingers crossed.