YZFOO7F
Topic Author

First Accepted Shot, But...

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:44 am

Hey everyone,

Well, after 10 rejections over the past couple months, I've finally had my first shot accepted to the DB. I was pleasantly surprised when I received the email last night and I'm glad that I finally got one in. However, after sifting through this forum for a while now, it would seem to me that there are always errors pointed out in those photos that I feel are much better than this one, especially with beginners.

I would like to seek your opinion on how this shot could have been better. I had a feeling that it would at least receive a 'motive' rejection due to the cones around the a/c, but I guess this didn't matter. I'd like to know what I could have done both while shooting and while editing that might help me with future shots. Your opinions are appreciated.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryan Chenkie

Thanks,
Ryan
Promise me you'll always leave the ground

Fly747

RE: First Accepted Shot, But...

Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:01 am

Looks good, regular ground shot. Cones are not obstructing it, so no motive rejection because of them.

Ivan

DM

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:57 am

Ivans right, the cones arnt blocking any part of the aircraft, so obviously, theres not going to be a motiv called out.

DM

damien846

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:06 am

Well done,
It's a great feeling to get your first shot, in the DB. May there be many more. I find myself asking why some of my shots get in?
Ref the cones, DM and Fly747 are right the cones don't block the aircraft. But I have a shot in the DB where a cone does!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Damien dyer

Well done again, keep them coming.
Damien

YZFOO7F
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:52 am

Thanks Damien, I hope to get better at it and eventually get some more shots in.

Likely your shot got in because its not something you see everyday. Very nice job on the shot too - did you see the accident happen?

bmibaby737

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting Damien846 (Reply 3):
Ref the cones, DM and Fly747 are right the cones don't block the aircraft. But I have a shot in the DB where a cone does!

It's a unique/rare shot, and in all honesty - doesn't block much or any part of the aircraft that is of interest.

Quoting YZFOO7F (Thread starter):
Ryan

In reference to improvements, not many - it's a good shot! Although, I'd have personally sharpened the windows and the surrounding area slightly more, and possibly the front door. It's a very good shot however and you have every right to be pleased!  bigthumbsup 

Nothing wrong with it at all, hence why the screeners liked it  Smile

Well done! I look forward to seeing more photos from you!

bmi  airplane 

shutterbug

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:57 am

Hi Ryan, and congratulations for you added shot to A.net! I guess it is like scoring a goal after 90 minutes. (although 10 rejections are not much, compared to other guys I've known from here)

Quoting YZFOO7F (Thread starter):
I was pleasantly surprised when I received the email last night and I'm glad that I finally got one in.

I just want to ask you or everyone else that has a photo accepted in the DB, how soon the pic gets in the DB after it has been accepted, or once you get the email it is already in the DB.

Thanks for your info.

Fly747

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:59 am

Quoting Shutterbug (Reply 6):
I just want to ask you or everyone else that has a photo accepted in the DB, how soon the pic gets in the DB after it has been accepted, or once you get the email it is already in the DB.

Usually it's in there before the email arrives. I believe once accepted, it waits until 10 photos are accepted, from any photogs, and then they are added together.

Ivan

shutterbug

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:47 am

Quoting Fly747 (Reply 7):
Usually it's in there before the email arrives.

Thanks Ivan, I'm still waiting for that moment.

Javier.

YZFOO7F
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 5):
it's a good shot! Although, I'd have personally sharpened the windows and the surrounding area slightly more, and possibly the front door.

Thanks BmiBaby. Yeah I was thinking that aswell. What tool is it on PS that allows you to sharpen areas that you move the cursor over? Maybe there isn't one but I'm sure I remember reading about it somewhere.

bmibaby737

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting YZFOO7F (Reply 9):

Thanks BmiBaby. Yeah I was thinking that aswell. What tool is it on PS that allows you to sharpen areas that you move the cursor over? Maybe there isn't one but I'm sure I remember reading about it somewhere.

Others may shoot me down for this, but I tend to make a little box and press sharpen; it then sharpenes only the selected area where the box is.

Works for me!

bmi

shutterbug

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 10):
but I tend to make a little box and press sharpen

Well, that is one way of doing it. You can also use quick mask mode a feather the edges of the selection so it does in a more subtle way beteween what you want to sharp and not. But as with everything, you work with what makes you more comfortable.

Best regards.
Javier.

damien846

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting Shutterbug (Reply 11):
You can also use quick mask mode a feather the edges of the selection so it does in a more subtle way beteween what you want to sharp and not. But as with everything, you work with what makes you more comfortable.

Could you please explain in more detail, how you do it?
Cheers
Damien

Scotland1979

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:38 am

Welcome to ANet!!
Nice shot as long as the cone or any item isn't blocking any part of aircraft then it is good for ANet. Take your time as time will come gradually. Practice makes perfect.

Here an example of the cones

< photoid:1048616>

Good luck ahead!!
Jesus said "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" - John 14:6

YZFOO7F
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:52 am

Thanks Frank. You've got some really great shots on the site! I didn't get a chance to look through them all but do you spend much time spotting around YOW?

shutterbug

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:01 am

Quoting YZFOO7F (Reply 14):
Could you please explain in more detail, how you do it?

Hi Damien, let me do some screenshots of the process, and I'll post them, so I can illustrate it more accurate. The method is pretty simple, you'll get the hang of it. In this method you see how much you are feathering the selection so it does not do it with a hard edge.

I'll keep in touch.

Best regards, Javier.

jumbojim747

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:48 am

Ryan well done on your first shot.
Its a nice clean crisp shot and i dont see any problem with the cones.
Keep them coming .
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer