Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CalgaryBill
Topic Author

More Axalp Questions...

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:50 pm

Hello:

I saw the previous thread regarding Axalp, including the posted brochure. Unfortunately, I don't speak or know anyone who speaks German. So I e-mailed the Swiss Air Force, but I e-mail in English and they reply in German.

Long story short - I thought the brochure said Axalp is October 10 and 11, with the 12th as a reserve day. However, the reply from the Swiss military is in German, and when I translated it using http://babelfish.altavista.com I got this:

"10 and 11 October are not correct, there gives a reserve day in the 2007."

The actual message in German was:

"10. und 11. Oktober sind richtig, es gibt keinen Reservetag im 2007."

So I'm kind of having fun trying to translate everything, but if I'm going to book a flight from Canada to see this (and tour Switzerland, of course!) I really need to nail down the date. Could someone who reads German check the brochure and confirm the date for me?
http://users.pandora.be/bertvh/Axalp1.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bertvh/Axalp2.jpg

The original Axalp thread: Axalp Questions (by Columbia107 Aug 29 2007 in Aviation Photography)

Thanks!
B

ptrjong

RE: More Axalp Questions...

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:04 pm

Quoting CalgaryBill (Thread starter):
"10. und 11. Oktober sind richtig, es gibt keinen Reservetag im 2007."

October 10 and 11 are correct, there is NO reserve day in 2007.

Feel free to ask about other bits.

Peter Smile

walter2222

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi,

It says indeed that the dates are 10th and 11th October and no reserve-day.

Best regards,

Walter

CalgaryBill
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:19 pm

Thank you both gents! I'll get on the phone today to book flights etc.

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 1):
Feel free to ask about other bits.

Okay, one more - what are the times? I'm guessing (and it's only a guess) that it starts at 2:00 pm and runs for 1.5 hours?

Thanks again,
B

walter2222

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 3):
Okay, one more - what are the times? I'm guessing (and it's only a guess) that it starts at 2:00 pm and runs for 1.5 hours?

Normally there is a practise run in the morning, a "lunch"-break and thereafter the "show" in the afternoon. Be aware, however that visitors have to leave very early in the morning (preferably before the sun rises...) in order to reach the show locations in time!! Also, if you would be not so lucky to stay in the village of Axalp itself, you first have to drive up the small road towards Axalp (this is a queue where you don't want to be when you here all the action above you!!  Smile Be aware that If all the parking positions are full, they also close the access to the village...

PS: Here is a view on the village and part of the hiking route (taken from the "Rothorn" mountain on the other side of the valley... if you have the time, it is certainly worth visiting and it is much easier than Axalp, because there is a special mountain-train up to the top):

http://walter2219.fotopic.net/p22681603.html

Have fun!

Best regards,

Walter

CalgaryBill
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:10 am

Hi Walter:

Thank you so much for all the information!!!

I booked my flight today. I'm staying in Interlaken for October 9-12 and will rent a car so I can get to Axalp early in the morning. Sounds like I should also bring lunch!

I hope driving over there isn't too different, I've never driven in Europe before. I'll also buy a rail/bus pass, but I'm worried the buses will be too full and I may not get a ride up to Axalp, hence the rental car.

I might also visit the Rothorn on of the other days as you suggest. I'm in Switzerland for just over a week and will be looking for lots of stuff to do. Your photo reminded me that I also want to try parasailing - can't think of a more beautiful place to try it!

Hope to see you there,
Bill

walter2222

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 5):
Hope to see you there,

Hi Bill, I wish I could go...but due to circumstances I cannot attend this year  Sad  Sad but there will be plenty of photographers around!

Quoting CalgaryBill (Reply 5):
I might also visit the Rothorn on of the other days as you suggest.

Starting point of the train is in the town of Brienz. At several points during the train-ride, you can have beautiful views across the valley and also on another place you should visit: "Meiringen AFB". Here is a view of the airbase, taken at the top of Rothorn:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Walter Van Bel

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Walter

CalgaryBill
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:26 am

And again Walter, thanks! You could make a small fortune selling tour planning services...  Wink

I definitely plan to tour Meiringen AFB. I've heard and read a lot of great things about how accessible and photographer-friendly it is and can't wait to see it. In Canada you need a media pass and security checks (plus you really need to know someone) to get anywhere near the access offered in Meiringen.

B

Domjan

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:54 am

Hi Bill,

you may find also the following site (in English) useful -- it's the official homepage of the Meiringen Air Base Command:

http://www.lw.admin.ch/internet/luft...out/organ/einsatzstab/betrieb.html

The "occupancy plan" is telling that F5 will be flying out of Meiringen the week you plan to be in Switzerland.

Cheers,
Hans

CalgaryBill
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting Domjan (Reply 8):
The "occupancy plan" is telling that F5 will be flying out of Meiringen the week you plan to be in Switzerland.

And the '18's will be there the following week, so I might get to see them too. Thanks for the link!

B

Domjan

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:33 am

Actually, since Meiringen is the home base of the Squadron 11 (one of the three equipped with F/A-18 in CH), you're more than likely to seen them.
Enjoy your visit and let's hope for decent weather!

Hans