Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Skydoll
Topic Author

Newbie With Questions...

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:52 pm

I'm new to this site, and I'd like to download a photograph, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how that's done. I did download a few pics last night, but they're attached to my profile. Now does that mean my photos were downloaded and "accepted" How does one get to enter the contest with their photos? Can someone send me some information, or tell me where the information is posted on this website. It's a "busy" website, so it's not so easy to find. Also, when I tried to post a photo in one of my posts, one of the ones from my profile, nothing popped up in the post except my "comment" about the photo. I clicked on the photo, chose full size, and then the link came in the box, but nothing showed up - no photo.

Heather P

JeffM

RE: Newbie With Questions...

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:13 pm

scottieprecord

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:43 pm

Welcome to Anet!

The link Jeff posted is to the upload form for the photo database. The database standards are quite strict, and I'd recommend that you read through the rules quite thoroughly before uploading anything to the database. It's also a good idea to post your photos in the av photography forum for "pre-screening" advice by members before you actually upload them. Photos can be rejected for numerous reasons: soft, level, motive, color, and contrast among others.

Profile pictures, on the other hand, are completely separate from the database and aren't screened at all.

Yes, the site is pretty "busy," but you'll figure everything out relatively quickly. Enjoy!
Mike

Skydoll
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Thanks for the information, Jeff...looks like my photos are not the right kind of photos. Mine are novelty flight attendant photos shot from INSIDE the aircraft, and I guess that doesn't work here. So....can anyone tell me if the pictures I downloaded to my profile are the ones being judged???? If so, I'll delete them ASAP. Just a bit confused here.

Heather

scottieprecord

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:50 pm

Quoting Skydoll (Reply 3):
So....can anyone tell me if the pictures I downloaded to my profile are the ones being judged?

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 2):
Profile pictures, on the other hand, are completely separate from the database and aren't screened at all.

Mike

airkas1

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting Skydoll (Reply 3):
So....can anyone tell me if the pictures I downloaded to my profile are the ones being judged????

Hi Heather, those photos are NOT being judged. Howvere, photos from inside an aircraft can work, just have a quick look in the DB.

Skydoll
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:53 pm

Oh thanks Mike...guess you were writing me as I was posting. Now I'm on the hunt for the other forum...and you're right, the rules are VERY strict here. I look at a picture and I think it's amazing and it's one of the reject pictures, and I'm shocked it's a reject... You guys (and girls) rock. Thanks for the info

Heather P

dvincent

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:03 pm

Heather,

As a FA you have access that most of us do not. You could get flight deck or cabin photos (both of which are very popular here), for example. Use the search page and search for them and you can see what they look for.
From the Mind of Minolta

Skydoll
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:15 pm

Dvincent,

yeah, just noticing that...not too many interesting interior photos. Then again, what I like is not usually the norm.

PRESCREENING question - When searching for the presreening posts, I found a few by plugging "prescreening" in the search engine on this site, but what I'm wondering is...do you take a photo and before you "submit it" you come here and make a new post and title it prescreening? That's it? I'd like to get some input on a few of the photos I"ve taken. Now I know I'll never be as good as a photographer as you guys are...just working with a digital camera and have no real experience...just have the ability to see things the normal person can't see. I think the photos I've taken are interesting and I do plan to do SOMETHING with them - greeting cards, etc. I'm also writing a women's fiction book about a stew and hope to use them in the book as well, so any advice to improve the quality would be nice. That's why Im trying to figure this site out, how do's and dont's etc. Not so sure I belong here yet, but then again....

Heather P

dvincent

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:20 pm

Heather,

You can post them right here in this thread since you already have it open. In the future, though, you could certainly make a prescreening thread.
From the Mind of Minolta

Skydoll
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:29 pm

Dvincent

I've been trying to post pictures inside messages but I can't figure it out. I click on ADD IMAGES, and then I chose one of the photos on my profile, and then it puts a link in this box, but no picture pops up. Then I clicked on POSTING HELP and saw that I needed a UBB code (is that just writing IMG on either side, like it shows in the example) and a http/-whatever...I'm lost. This is WAY too much for me. I don't even understand half the photography posting rules. This is a very technical site. But I would like to post a few pictures anyway. HA! So... should I just go to like picasaweb and post a link to the photos I have stored there...because that would give me the http/www code that I need. I'm about to give up. Thanks for helping, though.

Heather P

dvincent

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:45 pm

When the add images box comes up, click on the "thumb" or "full size" link and that will insert a line of code that will insert the picture into your message. When you preview it, you'll see the image.

Of course, image inlining could be broken again but I don't think it is since I used it earlier today.
From the Mind of Minolta

Skydoll
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:22 pm

TESTING TESTING

Big version: Width: 295 Height: 442 File size: 19kb
galley girl

see, that's what I get....no picture

dvincent

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:48 pm

I see a picture. Sure something's not wrong on your end?
From the Mind of Minolta

Skydoll
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:41 pm

Must be my end...because I still don't see anything. Okay, looks like I've got some work to do. Thanks for all the advice.

Heather

Silver1SWA

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:00 pm

If you don't see the picture in your post, look for a very, VERY small dot and move your cursor over it until you see the hand and then click. It might be a little tricky, but it should work. That's what I had to do. This has been a bug for quite some time.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Skydoll
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:15 pm

Silver

Oh hey...what do you know. Thanks for the advice. It worked. But why doesn't it just pop up in the window without having to put your browser over the dot?

Heather