Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcf5002
Topic Author

Couple Of Rejections Help!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:03 pm

Well, I just got these two rejections back and am a bit puzzled by them. The first I guess I can understand because I am novice at taking photos of cockpits at night... If someone can give me some pointers on what settings I can play with to get some better results. I am using my new ( ) Canon Rebel XTi and both of these shots were taken with the EF-S 18-55mm zoom lens.

Picture 1 was at:
Shutter - .60; Aperture - f 3.5; Exposure - Aperture Priority; Focal Length - 22mm; Metering - Partial; ISO - 200
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...ons/big/20080206_C75X_N5144_FD.jpg

Now I agree that it's a tad softer than I would prefer, but I didn't think it was out of line; at least not compared to many of the shots I see uploaded. On the other hand, it was also rejected for motive and quality. Not sure what I can do about the motive (help?), but maybe some tips on how to improve the quality and softness would be helpful. I also realize that I should have gone to ISO 100 to help the quality out a bit... whoops!

Picture 2 was at:
Shutter - 1/250; Aperture - f 9.0; Exposure - Normal Program; Focal Length - 18mm; Metering - Pattern; ISO 100
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...ions/big/20080206_HH65_CG_6522.jpg

It was rejected for: Quality, Centered, Dirty, and Leveled. To be honest, I found the dirt spot that was pointed out in the e-mail and already corrected it, but the others I am stumped by. The extremes of the top and bottom, as well as the blades are centered in the picture. I wanted to get a lot of sky in it for contrast against the bright orange/red of the chopper. As for the leveled part, the ramp is not level here at KUNV so the buildings in the background were not a good measuring point to level the photograph. Instead, I used the stabilizers on the tail of the chpper and made sure the physical helo was level. And since most of my photos are rejected for "Quality," which is pretty vague, I'm pretty flustered on that point. Any help would be appreciated and advice for the future.

I thought that by upgrading from my pitiful Konica Minolta DiMage Z2 (4MP) to the XTi, I would get rid of that "quality" issue, but it seems that I am still wasting the screeners' time...

Thanks in advance for the advice guys, I'm just trying to learn...

Jeff

[Edited 2008-02-06 13:03:55]
Its always a sunny day above the clouds || CSEL, CMEL, CFI, CFII, MEI

boeingfreak

RE: Couple Of Rejections Help!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:41 pm

Quoting Jcf5002 (Thread starter):
Picture 1 was at:
Shutter - .60; Aperture - f 3.5; Exposure - Aperture Priority; Focal Length - 22mm; Metering - Partial; ISO - 200
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...D.jpg

It might be a bit harsh, but what do you want to show with this picture? I simply find it boring....

Quoting Jcf5002 (Thread starter):
Picture 2 was at:
Shutter - 1/250; Aperture - f 9.0; Exposure - Normal Program; Focal Length - 18mm; Metering - Pattern; ISO 100
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...2.jpg

Centered: You cut it very tight on the top but left plenty of room at the bottom, I'd also crop tighter on the left and on the right border... makes it look a bit more balanced.

Quality: Well, your picture is soft (almost looks blurry to me), there are some slight halos around the tail and there is some noise in the sky. All the flaws together ---> Quality rejection.

Level: Needs a bit of CW rotation.

Hope this helps,
Florian

Silver1SWA

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 pm

The first one is too dark.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ptrjong

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Jeff,

My humble opinion re. #2:

Centering (or motive): A helicopter's rotor span often gives you an excuse for odd centering, but this is extreme. The right hand side of the picture is virtually empty and while I like the rear view of the fenestron, the fuselage is hardly shown at all. I think the width of the frame should have been largely filled with the fuselage and the 'right' rotorblade cut. The photo would still have had a lot of sky because of the low viewpoint, which is nice.

Leveling: the area is visbliy unlevel, but I'm sure the walls of that hangar are more or less vertical. The left hand side of the hangar door in the centre of the frame should be vertical (but not the right hand side as it's a wide angle shot).

Quality: Such as shot is tricky in needing a lot of depth of field. The nose seems to be out of focus.

Hope that helps,

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

jcf5002
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:03 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 3):
Leveling: the area is visibly unlevel, but I'm sure the walls of that hangar are more or less vertical. The left hand side of the hangar door in the centre of the frame should be vertical (but not the right hand side as it's a wide angle shot).

Thank you all for the advice, I will be giving the edit another go to see what I can manage. As for the leveling, I will try again, but should I level the picture to a known level object or the helicopter? The chopper here is not on the same level ground as the hanger presumably is, so then technically, the helicopter would not be level in this case... Any advise?

On a side note here is the raw photo if anyone wants a go at it...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jcf5002/CG_HH65_6522.JPG

-Jeff
Its always a sunny day above the clouds || CSEL, CMEL, CFI, CFII, MEI