Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flynavy
Topic Author

New Terms - What It Means For Photographers

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:33 am

Before any moderator proceeds to delete this thread I honestly and truly think it has a place here in the photography forum because we, the photographers of Airliners.net, have made this site what it is today, one photo at a time, for many, many years. I am troubled over the lack of any clarification on the following snippet from the new Terms of Use, updated on February 8, 2008:

Quote:
Subject to your right to terminate your license to us as described in Section 5(C), you hereby grant Airliners.net an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, transmit, distribute, publicly perform and display (including in each case by means of a digital audio and video transmission), advertise in, on, and around, and create derivative works of the Content you submit or make available for inclusion on or through the Service, and to incorporate such Content into other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, for purposes such as (but not limited to) promoting the Site or promoting the availability of such Content on the Site.

You also hereby waive any moral rights you may have under the laws of any jurisdiction in Content you submit or make available on or through the Service. While it is our general policy to include your name alongside your Content, we are not obligated to do so.

So, what does this mean to myself and others who submit photographs here?

The last sentence of that snippet really troubles me.

[Edited 2008-02-08 22:34:55]
Change is: one airline, six continents!

unattendedbag

RE: New Terms - What It Means For Photographers

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:51 am

New Terms Of Use And Privacy Policy (by Flyheligirl Feb 7 2008 in Site Related)

Quoting Moderators (Reply 23):
I have to review all questions with our legal team before posting.

Continue to ask questions and I will absolutely get back to them all, these are the three that I will respond to on Monday.

These are all completely valid questions and you'll get our responses soon.

Maybe we should wait?
Slower traffic, keep right

spoogle

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:26 am

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 1):
Maybe we should wait?

Yes .... i am waiting to see what "the legal team" comes up with so Admin can confirm , in site related they have a thread on this very subject !

The thing that is a little alarming is the way its worded , we as the photographer can loose all rights to the image if promoted through Demand Media .

If that is the case i have a sneaky feeling a few images will be pulled .

Lets see anyway .

regards all
Its not what you have ... its how you use it :@)

whappeh

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:38 am

It almost sounds like (and I am in a very tired state, so I could be very wrong), that they want to maybe use the images on the site for their own purposes with out asking us... maybe as in they sell the images to companies, etc.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

Psych

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:49 am

In words of one syllable (or equivalent), does this mean that we waive our copyright and all that goes along with that? In effect, our photo belongs to us and DM once it is accepted?

Mmm.

Paul

G-CIVP

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:57 am

My reading of that paragraph is DM have the right to use your photos you submit to the site elsewhere for free.

GUAMVICE

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:17 am

If this is indeed the case, I'm not sure I want to share my images with the site any longer...but I'll wait until clarification is brought about...
The two most engaging powers of a photographer are to make new things familiar and to make familiar things new. ~Thacker

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:30 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 4):
In words of one syllable (or equivalent), does this mean that we waive our copyright and all that goes along with that? In effect, our photo belongs to us and DM once it is accepted?

Mmm.

Quoting GuamVICE (Reply 6):
If this is indeed the case, I'm not sure I want to share my images with the site any longer...but I'll wait until clarification is brought about...

This definateky needs clarification from the owners.
If it is their intention to use our photos in this manner they will be shooting themselves in the foot

Ander

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:33 am

checkmark 
Same here,
Ander
Born to tri.

mclaudio

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:42 am

I am another one looking to this issue carefully, specially this part:

Quote:
(...)you hereby grant Airliners.net an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, transmit, distribute, publicly perform and display (...)

If the rules changed at any point during my relation as a photographer with airliners.net as a way to show my work, perhaps it is time to stop and think on the terms of that relation, after all, I never gave to the company now running the site any license to use whatsoever in the terms written above. I have always seen Airliners.net as a great website to host "pictures of modern aircrafts", not a website where I would upload a photo and others would make use of the photo as they please.
But it is better to wait and see what comes out of this.
Proudly one of the 6 million Portuguese that support SL Benfica!! Champions 2009-2010!

flynavy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:29 am

Agreed. That being said, if this is the case, I would be interested in the legal ramifications that would go along with it.

spencer

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:04 am

Let's say this goes ahead then; I'm supposing DM will charge for our work should they be contacted? Oh man, this is aint right! Why don't we get a poll going to see who will pull their work just to show DM how much they could be set to loose?
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

timdegroot

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:07 am

Guys let's not get ahead of ourselves before we know what the deal is here. I have asked Monique to give us an answer.

Cheers
Tim
Alderman Exit

spencer

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:10 am

Tim, it's not a matter of getting ahead of ourselves really mate, more like getting prepared for the worse! Perhaps a poll wouldn't be a bad idea though? And honestly, would you be prepared to give up your chances of earning some money (from your work on THIS site)? I'm not prepared!
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

timdegroot

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:14 am

Wel to get ahead of things myself, I think it probably means they can use your photos in new site features, just linked as usual. It will not mean DM will start selling your photos because that would be unacceptable.

Again let's just wait for an explanation. This legal mumbo jumbo probably obscures the real intention.

Tim
Alderman Exit

leadingedge

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:24 am

I only have 29 photos on here so if we are signing away our rights to copyright its not a major deal for me. However I am sure the Pros and Semi Pros who have made major contributions to the success of A-Net over the years will be somewhat concerned by this. You only have until the 7th March to request deletion before they are free to use your images.

[Edited 2008-02-09 03:36:52]

ptrjong

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:24 am

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 12):
Guys let's not get ahead of ourselves before we know what the deal is here.

OK, but the wording is extremely worrying to photographers here and DM better understand that.
 alert   redflag 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

cpd

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:26 am

"create derivative works of the Content"

That term worries me. But rather than making guesses, I'll probably just get a work colleague who is a legal wiz to take a look at these and see what implications it could have.

While the legal mumbo jumbo may obscure the real intention, it also seems to be quite obtuse to allow a very broad scope of possibilities, at least that's how I understand it on my first couple of readings.

dvincent

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:03 pm

I don't grant Demand Media the rights to do anything with my photographs except display them. That is very broad, sweeping language there. I've seen it before and it's never a good thing.

Suffice to say if that wording stays in there, I'm pulling my photos off the site.
From the Mind of Minolta

mat1979

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:07 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 14):
Wel to get ahead of things myself, I think it probably means they can use your photos in new site features, just linked as usual. It will not mean DM will start selling your photos because that would be unacceptable.

Again let's just wait for an explanation. This legal mumbo jumbo probably obscures the real intention.

I'm afraid it gives them a lot of leeway. Maybe their intention is nice today, but what if they change their mind 2 years from now?

Quote:
Quote:
Subject to your right to terminate your license to us as described in Section 5(C), you hereby grant Airliners.net an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, transmit, distribute, publicly perform and display (including in each case by means of a digital audio and video transmission), advertise in, on, and around, and create derivative works of the Content you submit or make available for inclusion on or through the Service, and to incorporate such Content into other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, for purposes such as (but not limited to) promoting the Site or promoting the availability of such Content on the Site.

You also hereby waive any moral rights you may have under the laws of any jurisdiction in Content you submit or make available on or through the Service. While it is our general policy to include your name alongside your Content, we are not obligated to do so.

My reading of this is, once you've accepted the new rules, they're free. If they want to use the photos in new site features, as usual, they'll can, but if they want to use them for other purposes too, they can as well.

The email i received contained :

Quote:
Your continued use of Airliners.net after March 8, 2008 will indicate your acceptance of the new Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

The safest thing to do, as a photographer, i believe, is not to wait beyond march 8, but pull the photo one cares for, unless the terms of use change (especially the "not limited to", and "irrevocable", perpetual").

That's what i intend to do, for my best pic. You can always reupload your best pics without trouble, it appears pulling your pics off the site past march 8 will be difficult.

Better safe than sorry.

dvincent

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:11 pm

What it means, Tim, is that DM can use your photographs in, say, another Demand Media website for advertising without your permission. It means if Demand Media publishes a magazine, they can use the photos without asking (or paying) you. It means they could be used in books, slideshows, videos/DVDs, on merchandise without your say.

Now, what it doesn't mean, is they can't give it to another company to use. But as long as it's a Demand Media production, it's fair game.

They might not do it. But they just gave themselves the rights to. I don't believe they'd give themselves the rights without the intention to use them.
From the Mind of Minolta

viv

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:23 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Thread starter):
you hereby grant Airliners.net an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, transmit, distribute, publicly perform and display (including in each case by means of a digital audio and video transmission), advertise in, on, and around, and create derivative works of the Content you submit or make available

I will NOT grant Anet these rights. Why on earth should I?
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

JakTrax

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:30 pm

Well guys we all kinda suspected the site would go off the rails at some point under DM - just not this soon. The love of money seems to have over-shadowed the love of aviation. I only have 67 pics in the database (with 12 in the queue) but I shall have no worries in removing them - and uploading them elsewhere - should this situation turn ugly.

Karl

diezel

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Quoting Mat1979 (Reply 19):
and to incorporate such Content into other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, for purposes such as (but not limited to) promoting the Site or promoting the availability of such Content on the Site.

Does this mean that they, for example, can create books or magazines and use our photos's for free?

Roel
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

maiznblu_757

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Regardless what Monique says, the portion of the terms we are currently discussing needs to be rewritten to reflect what it really means. Maybe a few 'IE's should be included.

ptrjong

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:22 pm

Quoting Dvincent (Reply 20):
What it means, Tim, is that DM can use your photographs in, say, another Demand Media website for advertising without your permission.

Quoting Diezel (Reply 23):
Does this mean that they, for example, can create books or magazines and use our photos's for free?

The text says you grant a license to Airliners.net, not to Demand Media. But what exactly does that mean? Can they, indeed, do an Airliners.net magazine or book, for exampe? That is one of the things that need to be explained.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

KarlADrage

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Quite simply, if it's not rewritten, the vast majority of photographers will remove their images. Even if there's no intention now to undertake any of the suggestions above, by agreeing to the proposed changes in their current format there would be nothing to stop a.net/DM implementing those ideas in the future, and there would be nothing you could do about it.
Cheers,

viv

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Quoting KarlADrage (Reply 26):
if it's not rewritten, the vast majority of photographers will remove their images. Even if there's no intention now to undertake any of the suggestions above, by agreeing to the proposed changes in their current format there would be nothing to stop a.net/DM implementing those ideas in the future, and there would be nothing you could do about it.

Karl,

You are exactly right.

Personally, if the proposed new terms of use are not abandoned - or substantially amended so as to allow uploaders to retain their current rights pertaining to their photographs - I will pull my 220+ shots from the site.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

Jez

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:49 pm

On the one hand I can't say that I'm pleased with the new TOU, but there is a part of me that thinks - How much can they really do with a 1024 wide JPG image?

flynavy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:58 pm

Quoting Jez (Reply 28):
On the one hand I can't say that I'm pleased with the new TOU, but there is a part of me that thinks - How much can they really do with a 1024 wide JPG image?

That isn't the point. It's a matter of principle. Demand Media didn't put the time and effort into shooting, editing, and uploading my photos here - I did. I'll be damned if I'll let them take credit for my work, much less grant them an "...irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, transmit, distribute, publicly perform and display..." my photos whenever and wherever they see fit.

dvincent

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:59 pm

Quoting Jez (Reply 28):

It's the principle of the thing, Jez...
From the Mind of Minolta

mclaudio

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:59 pm

Quoting Jez (Reply 28):

That is in fact true, but sometimes is not what you can do, but how you do it.
Proudly one of the 6 million Portuguese that support SL Benfica!! Champions 2009-2010!

APFPilot1985

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:02 pm

Tim

I would advise you not to make any interpretations that you don't want accepted as fact. It was made very clear to me that the Crew operates as representatives of DM.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

leadingedge

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:04 pm

Quoting Diezel (Reply 23):

It would seem so.

Tim I think that people need an independent legal interpretation not one from Demands own legal team. It is the wording that they sign up to that will count in any dispute not those in any supporting statement.

Travelralf

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:08 pm

The wording is quite clear to me. I as a photographer provide my pictures for free and DM can do what they want and make some decent money. Great business model. Why didn't I think of something like that ?
It's a slap in the face of those who actually made this side what it is today.

If the paragraph is not deleted or rewritten I will remove my 1100+ photos from this side before march, 8th.

cpd

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Quoting Jez (Reply 28):

That's correct as well. But if you are worried, you could just remove the photos you really care about until things are cleared up.

If you have high-res photos, what would the process be to re-upload them at 1024px wide? I don't think it'd be possible, would it? Not that it matters much to me, 1024px or 1280px is as large as I normally upload at.

[Edited 2008-02-09 06:10:20]

Stealthz

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi all,
On first reading the new Airliners.net TOU did raise some red flags with me... Ok, as well as on the 2nd, 3rd and subsequent readings.

Having said that, is there anyone here that reads some contradictions in Clause 5:b & 5:c?

Cheers

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

flynavy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:15 pm

This is how I interpret clause 5B: If you upload photos to Airliners.net, you waive all rights on the material you submit and they become the property of Demand Media while hosted on Airliners.net.

Slap in the face indeed.

[Edited 2008-02-09 06:17:15]

Jez

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 29):
Demand Media didn't put the time and effort into shooting, editing, and uploading my photos here - I did.

But Demand Media didn't force you to do that.

I agree that what DM are saying is wrong in principle, but in practice will it really make any difference to you? If a publisher wants your shot then they will contact you in the usual way and are unlikely to accept a 1024 JPG from DM as a cheap alternative, especially when they could lift the very same file from the site themselves for free.

I'll admit to playing a slight Devil's Advocate role here.

flynavy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:25 pm

Quoting Jez (Reply 38):
But Demand Media didn't force you to do that.

DM didn't make this site what it is today. DM hasn't been a member here for nearly six years. If a publisher contacts me directly, yes, I'd be happy to indulge them.

DM, on the other hand, wants to use my "Content" as they see fit with or without letting me know and with or without giving me credit.

Again, it's a matter of principle.

Kukkudrill

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 25):
The text says you grant a license to Airliners.net, not to Demand Media. But what exactly does that mean? Can they, indeed, do an Airliners.net magazine or book, for exampe? That is one of the things that need to be explained.

Yes the text is quite clear that a.net can publish your photos in any way and for any purpose it chooses - editorial, advertising, print, internet, broadcasting, you name it. There are no limitations. Not only that, but if a pilot's face is visible in one of your photos and he sues after seeing it used for a Viagra advert, it's your problem not that of a.net/DM.

Quoting Dvincent (Reply 20):
Now, what it doesn't mean, is they can't give it to another company to use. But as long as it's a Demand Media production, it's fair game.

Actually the text says that a.net can "distribute" your photos. Seems to me this includes selling them on to third parties.

There's still time and hopefully things will get sorted out. But let me make it absolutely clear that these terms have to change, otherwise I too will pull my 600+ photos from this site.

Charles Polidano

(Edited for grammar)

[Edited 2008-02-09 06:29:48]
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

mclaudio

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:30 pm

Quoting Jez (Reply 38):
If a publisher wants your shot then they will contact you in the usual way and are unlikely to accept a 1024 JPG from DM as a cheap alternative, especially when they could lift the very same file from the site themselves for free.

indeed, but by doing that, you will be breaking the deal you have with DM if you agree with their terms after the 8th of March.
Honestly...I am not seeing a bright future for my 489 photos on the db.

flynavy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:32 pm

Quoting Mclaudio (Reply 41):
Honestly...I am not seeing a bright future for my 489 photos on the db.

Indeed the entire community as a whole if these terms aren't amended.

I encourage all photographers who have photos on this site to spread the word about this issue.

[Edited 2008-02-09 06:34:29]

Travelralf

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm thinking of sending an email to DM where I clearly state that I do not agree to the terms of use regarding my pictures already in the database because I uploaded them when the site still belongs to Johan. Just trying to find the correct email adress.
Of course I stop uloading now as long as the terms are not rewritten.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:40 pm

The terms the more I read seems to confuse me more.

[Edited 2008-02-09 06:52:51]

Stealthz

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:48 pm

Does this new licensing regime mean that....

In this hypothetical case...

I am at Heard Island in the Southern Ocean and a Boebus A746i arrives carrying the newly crowned Emperor of the Imperial Confederation of Antartica, I photograph this event and upload to Airliners.net.
A couple of days later the Emperor reveals that along with him on that flight was his new mistress, a comely young Minke Whale that he is going to marry after changing the laws to allow interspecies relationships in his empire.
This is picked up by the News of the World and they pay a zillion dollars for my photo to accompany their special edition.

Because they saw the photo on Airliners.net, will DM be demanding a large chunk of that cash because of their assumed ownership of the image?

Just a question

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

Kukkudrill

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:51 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 45):

No because the terms give a.net a non-exclusive license, meaning they can use your photos but they can't stop you doing the same. BUT under the new terms (as I understand them) a.net itself can sell the photo and you won't get a cent.

Charles
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

flyheligirl

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:51 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Thread starter):
Quote:

So, what does this mean to myself and others who submit photographs here?

Hi all,

I can completely understand needing clarification on these terms. I went over them with our legal department for weeks to ensure that they were tailored for the a.net community. I'm seeking answers from the legal team directly so I don't misstep on these exact issues. That being said, I fully understand the questions and I plan on getting them to you next week. The new Terms of Use and Privacy Policy does not take affect for any registered users (who registered before 2/9/08) for 30 days, just remember that so we have 4 weeks to address any questions to the fullest.

Thanks for your patience and I'll reply when I have an explicit answer for you.

Thank you,

Monique

spoogle

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Some very interesting reading here.... as i mentioned in my post number 2 i will be watching for any statements from DM regarding this issue , i also mentioned about pulling images it looks like everyone has the same idea .

I personally think DM HAVE to change this ruling .. not just the text wording , it has to be written out the fact they can use your pics as they see fit is really out of order without the owners individual consent on said image.

They may see Airliners.net as a home made stock site for use as they see fit (profit wise) , this is not what Airliners.net was originally set out for.

We'll have to wait till at least the middle of next week until we get a definite answer i guess

I wonder if on the 8th March we will be wondering who will have the 1000000th upload  Wink

regards
Its not what you have ... its how you use it :@)

Fly747

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:56 pm

So what if one day, say 2 years from now, I no longer wish to have my images posted here would they NOT comply with my request to have them all deleted?
It all sounds fishy right now and I will not hesitate for a second to request a removal of all my photos.

Ivan