Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flynavy
Topic Author

RE: New Terms - What It Means For Photographers

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting Flyheligirl (Reply 47):

I appreciate the response, especially on a weekend.

The way I see it is that the lifeblood of this community - indeed the very future of this site - depend on this issue being resolved swiftly.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Tbird

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Sounds to me that Demand Media is looking at revenue opportunity by selling our pictures... This doesn't sound on the level to me at all. Why would I want to upload a picture to A.net and give them the rights to the shot for free?

APFPilot1985

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:05 pm

The new Terms of Use and Privacy Policy does not take affect for any registered users (who registered before 2/9/08) for 30 days, just remember that so we have 4 weeks to address any questions to the fullest.

Thanks for your patience and I'll reply when I have an explicit answer for you.

Thank you,

Monique

Well seeing how the terms require a 15 day notice to have photos removed, anyone who wants to do that must let you know within the next 15 days.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

mat1979

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:10 pm

Just to be on the safe side, i wanted to have a look at how to remove a pic of mine from the database.

It appears there is no automated process to do so (i didn't find any).

Does anyone know what the procedure is to remove a photo (regardless of your opinion whether pics ought to be removed or not)?

Thanks

Fly747

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Quoting Mat1979 (Reply 53):

You have to send an email. Not sure if it's the editors or screeners though. I'd probably send it to both just to be sure.

Ivan

Stil

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:22 pm

I'll reply when I have an explicit answer for you

What's this? You have a explicit TOU but you don't have an explicit answer?
It doesn't looks fine to me. It seems like a "don't do anything until there's no other way" DM move
A year ago this site was a peaceful sequence of uploading-rejection to me, but it stresses a lot lately  hyper .

Stil
....... Gueropppa! ......

Kukkudrill

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:37 pm

I can completely understand needing clarification on these terms.

Monique, thanks for chiming in. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Allow me to emphasise that I do not only want the terms clarified. I want them changed. I have been uploading photos here on the understanding that the only right I am thereby assigning to airliners.net / Demand Media is to display the images on this website, and that no further use can take place without my express permission. I want the terms changed to reflect this.

Guys if you feel the same way, please make it clear.

Charles Polidano
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

flynavy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 56):
Allow me to emphasise that I do not only want the terms clarified. I want them changed. I have been uploading photos here on the understanding that the only right I am thereby assigning to airliners.net / Demand Media is to display the images on this website, and that no further use can take place without my express permission. I want the terms changed to reflect this.

checkmark  I completely agree with Charles.

viv

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:51 pm

Allow me to emphasise that I do not only want the terms clarified. I want them changed

So do I. As I said, if the terms are not changed so that I retain my existing rights I WILL PULL ALL MY SHOTS FROM THE SITE.

I hope that is clear enough.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

Fly747

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:55 pm

The wording must change if they intend to stay the aviation site.

Ivan

Travelralf

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Spot on !!!

iRISH251

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi all,

I can completely understand needing clarification on these terms. I went over them with our legal department for weeks to ensure that they were tailored for the a.net community

If you went over them for weeks you must have considered such a key issue as the one that everyone is concerned about. What does "tailored for the a.net community" mean? It's hard to believe that the reaction now being experienced was not foreseen, so what was it that DM was trying to achieve by stipulating these sweeping terms and conditions? The way things are going, it would helpful if someone started working immediately on a "remove all my photos from the site" option which members could use to facilitate the change in nature of the site which the owners appear to desire.

timdegroot

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi All

I know my interpretation counts for as much as anyone's. I merely wanted to say that I do not believe DM wants to do anything else with the photos than what they do now.

I have communicated to Monique the seriousness of this matter to all of us, if it wasn't already clear enough Wink

Tim
Alderman Exit

bjcc

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:14 pm

I'm a little concerned with Monique's line

"I went over them with our legal department for weeks to ensure that they were tailored for the a.net community"

One can therefore assume that the implications of the clause in issue with everyone, would have been apparent? That being so, it may have been an idea to discuss it before imposing it.

I accept that there is a difference between DM having the ability to do something, and them actualy doing it, so perhaps Monique would be good enough to explain exactly what DM's intention are in respect of this clause, and what safeguards, if any there would be to ensure that those intention don't change to our detriment.

That may go some way to alaying peoples concern, and preventing a rush to have photos deleted.

middleken

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:18 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 62):

Tim, I appreciate your input. But what they may want to do now is not the real issue, it is leaving the door open with that wording that allows them in the future to be free to change what they want to do. It's like not believing anyone would want to steal your car, so you leave the keys in it. I know, extreme example LOL

Jez

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:19 pm

Quoting Mclaudio (Reply 41):
indeed, but by doing that, you will be breaking the deal you have with DM if you agree with their terms after the 8th of March.

No so. It's a non-exclusive licence that would be granted to DM by accepting the TOU and it's only on the content that I submit (i.e. the 1024 JPG).

ptrjong

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:20 pm

How about an upload strike if this is not resolved in an acceptable manner in a few day's time?

That could have some noticeable effect on site traffic, and thus on DM's income, before next month, and that seems to bother this company a lot more than anything we write here.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

JohnJ

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:20 pm

Considering the hell that's raised around this place if someone uses an A.net photo even for a personal flight sim site without permission, I can't imagine DM didn't know what controversy this would cause. This is very troubling to me. The way the wording is now, I can't see my way clear to continue to upload here.

Lear45

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:21 pm

[quote=Viv,reply=58]So do I. As I said, if the terms are not changed so that I retain my existing rights I WILL PULL ALL MY SHOTS FROM THE SITE.

Me too .....

Andy Hutchings

flynavy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:22 pm

I merely wanted to say that I do not believe DM wants to do anything else with the photos than what they do now.

Okay Tim...

Say you're right and they aren't going to change the way the photos are used as it stands today...

Why, then, do they need to have "an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license" to do so?

mat1979

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:26 pm

I merely wanted to say that I do not believe DM wants to do anything else with the photos than what they do now.

Hi Tim

I agree with you here.
But who's to say it will be the same 3 years down the road?
If they have no intentions to use the photos for other purposes than for what they do now, the TOU should clearly state that. Agreeing with TOU that grant them lots more rights is not at all a safe behaviour. Things can change. Their intentions may change. The owners of DM/airliners.net may change. The direction may change. But your agreement to the TOU will still be there.

Mat

timdegroot

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Totally agree.

Tim
Alderman Exit

codeshare

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Monique, for the rules to be tailored to the a.net community, the points and understanding of them should be at least changed to something that will allow DM to work WITH the photographers. These rules generally say that when the photo is uploaded we lose the rights to it and control of it. That is unthinkable.

I understand that a.net/DM is now our host, but let's not forget that it's the photos and the rich and flavoured forum that make up this site. That's like cutting the branch of a tree on which you are sitting.

Other than that, I am concerned.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

JeffM

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 58):
So do I. As I said, if the terms are not changed so that I retain my existing rights I WILL PULL ALL MY SHOTS FROM THE SITE.

same for me... IN A HEARTBEAT!

dvincent

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:01 pm

I can completely understand needing clarification on these terms. I went over them with our legal department for weeks to ensure that they were tailored for the a.net community. I'm seeking answers from the legal team directly so I don't misstep on these exact issues. That being said, I fully understand the questions and I plan on getting them to you next week. The new Terms of Use and Privacy Policy does not take affect for any registered users (who registered before 2/9/08) for 30 days, just remember that so we have 4 weeks to address any questions to the fullest.

We don't want clarification. We want it removed. Thanks.
From the Mind of Minolta

KarlADrage

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Indeed. I would imagine this is very black and white for most contributors here.

"You" lose the right to do as you wish with MY images, or I will remove said images.
Cheers,

leadingedge

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 52):
Well seeing how the terms require a 15 day notice to have photos removed, anyone who wants to do that must let you know within the next 15 days.

Not quite true. This is a term of the new agreement and so is not effective until the 8th March.

[Edited 2008-02-09 09:13:59]

foxtrot183

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:14 pm

I have been uploading to this site for nearly six years. This is the first time I have posted to any forum. Unless these new terms are CHANGED. My 4000+ photos will be heading for the door!!!!

jetmatt777

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:25 pm

I only have 12 pics, but I also will have NO HESITATION removing them, even though it took me 2 years of rejection after rejection and spending hours on hours editing pictures and getting in trouble with airport personnel and freezing my a$$ off in the winter time to get shots that hopefully will make it on this site (and now by the looks of things, giving DM the rights to all my work without my consent, while everyone at DM sits in a 75F room while I'm slaving in the elements to get pics for their free use.)

I wouldn't be surprised if DM, when they reworked the upload page, saved a copy of the image without the watermarks and copyright bar.

I'm sure my work will be welcomed elsewhere.

Matt

boeingfreak

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm worried as well but let's just calm down a bit and wait till we get an explanation!  Wink

But one thing is for sure: I will not allow Demand Media to use my pictures for commercial purposes without my permission and without getting paid for it, if you don't change the new TOU in time I will follow my fellow photographers and remove my pictures from this site!

Florian

yvrtoyyz

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:32 pm

The new Terms of Use and Privacy Policy does not take affect for any registered users (who registered before 2/9/08) for 30 days, just remember that so we have 4 weeks to address any questions to the fullest.

Beware...be very aware of this statement. Essentially this statement implies that DM is not obligated inform the photography community of the legal interpretation of the concerned statement essentially until March 07, 2008 23:59:59 PST (assuming they base their intentions on California timezone).

Should this be the case, a great number of photographers would not be aware of the interpretation prior to the March 08, 2008 00:00:00 PST deadline, have no time to pull their photos and therefore bound by the new TOU and forfeit all rights to their photos.

I strongly suggesting pulling your pictures until the legal interpretation is given and then re-upload them when you are satisfied with the response.

DM has been extremely vague in the past and by posting new TOU/Privacy Policy/Forum Rules on a Friday thereby leaving no opportunity for response until a Monday creates even greater suspicion of their intents and greater insight into the manner in which they conduct business.

clickhappy

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:32 pm

I would also like to ask my fellow photogs to be patient. I don't think the verbiage means what you think it means, a couple of lawyers I have had read it tell me that the way it is worded Demand Media can use your images to display, nothing more.

If Demand Media, or any other website, was asking you to give up all rights to usage of your pictures in exchange for the privilege of uploading to their site, said websites would loose most, if not all of it's high-profile customers.

Airliners.net has gone from a hobby website to a business, and this legal wording is nothing more than a legal CYA.

Looking at Yahoo's website they have this language, which I hope is what we clarify:

Yahoo! does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service, you grant Yahoo! the following worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive license(s), as applicable:

So, take a deep breath and let's wait for Demand Media to update the situation.

flynavy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:38 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 81):
So, take a deep breath and let's wait for Demand Media to update the situation.

I eagerly await their reply.

That being said, this isn't Yahoo. Business or not, this site is a community. This particular clause in the terms of use threatens its vitality and trust of the contributors. Surely, as a photo screener, you can appreciate what we have built here after so many years and what a shame it would be if it were lost or otherwise irreparably damaged.

clickhappy

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 82):
Surely, as a photo screener, you can appreciate what we have built here after so many years and what a shame it would be if it were lost or otherwise irreparably damaged.

Not as a screener, but as a photographer.

timdegroot

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:47 pm

The issue will be resolved I am sure. Maybe some words have to be changed but DM cares about a.net and they will not do something that will drive 99% of the photographers away because that would kill the site.

Tim
Alderman Exit

NIKV69

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:56 pm

I would also like to ask my fellow photogs to be patient. I don't think the verbiage means what you think it means, a couple of lawyers I have had read it tell me that the way it is worded Demand Media can use your images to display, nothing more.

If Demand Media, or any other website, was asking you to give up all rights to usage of your pictures in exchange for the privilege of uploading to their site, said websites would loose most, if not all of it's high-profile customers.

Airliners.net has gone from a hobby website to a business, and this legal wording is nothing more than a legal CYA.

Looking at Yahoo's website they have this language, which I hope is what we clarify:

Yahoo! does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service, you grant Yahoo! the following worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive license(s), as applicable:

So, take a deep breath and let's wait for Demand Media to update the situation

Good advice Royal, there has been enough scare mongering here. I doubt very highly DM worded it that way to start using our pics without our permission and also doubt everyone will be pulling their pics come next week.

[Edited 2008-02-09 10:16:46]
I am the Googlizer!!!

tu154haj

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Boeingfreak says come down, but I think everybody should post here... If DM won't see that most of the photos will be removed, if they don't change the terms, they wouldn't do that!! So change the terms within next 15 day or my 1700+ pics will be removed!

Olaf

dvincent

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:04 pm

Royal, if you were looking at Flickr, you should include the rest of that segment of the TOS.

Quote:

--snipped out the Yahoo groups section--

b. With respect to photos, graphics, audio or video you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service other than Yahoo! Groups [ed: this is Flickr], the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the Service and will terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo! removes such Content from the Service.

This is far, far different than what DM has written up in the Airliners TOS. This is a "for display purposes only" license, essentially. This is also not in perpetuity and is not irrevocable. Relatively speaking, something like this would be amenable to myself and probably to other photographers here, because it spells out exactly what they will and will not do, and it allows it to end when either party pulls out. Many professional photographers upload to flickr (and without all the bull that goes on around here) and seem to be OK with this kind of clause. Because it's not a sweeping rights grab for all time.

There is also the legal question of shrinkwrap licenses or TOS even being valid in court, but they have not been challenged yet, so we don't know yet. But I prefer erring on the side of caution. If the TOS was changed to read similar to the Flickr one, I would be far warmer to it.
From the Mind of Minolta

viv

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 84):
Maybe some words have to be changed

Ya think???
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

flynavy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 85):
I doubt very highly DM worded it that way to start using our pics without our permission and also doubt everyone will be pulling their pics come next week.

So, let me get this straight...

You don't have a problem letting Demand Media...

Use...
Reproduce...
Modify...
Transmit...
Distribute...
Publicly display or...
Advertise in, on, or around one of your photos...

All while not being able to guarantee that they will give you credit for the photo?

Ander

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:14 pm

I don't think the verbiage means what you think it means

Really Royal, do you think so??

you hereby grant Airliners.net an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, transmit, distribute, publicly perform and display (including in each case by means of a digital audio and video transmission), advertise in, on, and around, and create derivative works of the Content you submit or make available for inclusion on or through the Service, and to incorporate such Content into other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, for purposes such as (but not limited to) promoting the Site or promoting the availability of such Content on the Site.

I know very little about law, (even less American law) but this words are cristal clear to me.

Regards
Born to tri.

Tbird

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:21 pm

I think this community deserves an answer now...and not on Monday. Especially after the email A.net just sent out, detailing these changes. Its seem very clear to me what the course of this website is now and what those new terms mean. Sadly the reality is this site ceased to be an enthusiast site the day it was sold to Demand Media and this is simply proof of that.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:23 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 89):
So, let me get this straight...

You don't have a problem letting Demand Media...

Use...
Reproduce...
Modify...
Transmit...
Distribute...
Publicly display or...
Advertise in, on, or around one of your photos...

All while not being able to guarantee that they will give you credit for the photo

No Chris if you read my post I said I don't think that is what DM is going to do. If DM want's the ability to use our work for any reason without asking us or getting prior permission then of course I would pull my stuff and not upload anymore but I think we are reaching big time. I am waiting for clarification.
I am the Googlizer!!!

APFPilot1985

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 92):

No Chris if you read my post I said I don't think that is what DM is going to do. If DM want's the ability to use our work for any reason without asking us or getting prior permission then of course I would pull my stuff and not upload anymore but I think we are reaching big time. I am waiting for clarification.

They will have that permission when the new TOU go into effect, enjoy your blinders though. Even better Nick, tell us how you interpret the new terms.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Fly747

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 92):
I said I don't think that is what DM is going to do. I

Ok Nik, so, in your own words, what exactly does this paragraph mean?

Quoting Ander (Reply 90):
you hereby grant Airliners.net an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, transmit, distribute, publicly perform and display (including in each case by means of a digital audio and video transmission), advertise in, on, and around, and create derivative works of the Content you submit or make available for inclusion on or through the Service, and to incorporate such Content into other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, for purposes such as (but not limited to) promoting the Site or promoting the availability of such Content on the Site.

Ivan

EMA747

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:52 pm

When this issue is resolved will DM send an email to all conserned detailing where we as photographers stand? I would also like one in non-legal terms too. I don't want to be blinded by legal bull **** and find that I have missed something.

If this issue isn't resolved soon then I will pull my pics off whatever the outcome. I only have 4 on the site but I don't want someone to make money off all the effort/learing/editing etc etc I have put in over the last year to get some pics on this site.
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

ua935

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:55 pm

After years and years of hard work on the part of Johan this site was the premier place for showcasing aviation photography.

Since DM have taken over we have had more down time than ever, areas of the site not working for days on end, a distinct lack of response from the owners to points raised by the users of the site and now this which really takes the biscuit.

I fear that this decision by DM could be the final nail in the coffin for the site if not rectified.
Live every second like you mean it

ryangooner

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Im ready to pull - i probably wont be the 1st but i sure as hell wont be the last !!
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

raptors

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:17 pm

This is simple guy's!!!

We, the photographers are what makes this site, if we remove, or refuse to upload to airliners.net then the website could well collapse.

I don't know 'DM' but I too am concerned about these terms and conditions and wouldn't think wtice about removing my 1,000+ photos unless this is sorted out, and sorted out quickly.

I assume that DM paid a hefty sum to gain contol of this site, are they prepared to loose this investment?

Is this not like Boeing or Airbus pi**ing of it's customers who could then threaten not to purchase their aircraft? (bigger scenario of couse but the principle is along the same lines).

If I were you DM, I'd be having sleepless nights at the moment. I hope you can reconsider and appease the photographers by withdrawing these new terms and conditions so we can all get back to business.

Regards, Stuart
SSC/111/146/AR8/AT7/AN3/AB4/6/310/319/20/21/332/3/343/6/703/722/732-9/74L/2/4/F/752/3/772/3/W/E170/190/CR7/9

whappeh

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 97):
Im ready to pull - i probably wont be the 1st but i sure as hell wont be the last !!

After reading what we read, we're all ready to pull. :/
-Travel now, journey infinitely.