Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atomother
Topic Author

Best Type Of Filter For Av Photography?

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:44 am

Hey all,

I am looking at getting a filter for my telephoto lens I use for aviation photography and after doing some research am wondering what is the best filter to use for aviation photos. Thinking sun to my back, mostly sky/few clouds in the background, maybe some ground toward the bottom and a very reflective metal tubelike thing in the center.

I have read that most think UV filters are pointless with today's new lenses that basically have that feature built in so that kinda leaves me with a polarizing filter to get my skies more blue, clouds more cloudy, and everything standing out a bit more except for that nasty haze that usually appears between my pretty blue sky and the horizon.

klintrepid

RE: Best Type Of Filter For Av Photography?

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:39 am

I recommend NO filter. Filters can degrade image quality, due to cheap glass.
Anyways you can do pretty much anything (filter wise) in photoshop.
~its a JEEP thang~

sluger020889

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:54 am

The filter/no filter debate is a hot one. Me personally, i keep a UV filter on my 300 f4 at all times, not for the UV part but for protection. I don't inspect every pixel and i don't see a decrease in quality. In the end i guess it's a personal call. But i'd much rather scratch/break a filter than a front element any day.

Another big thing is to keep the hoods on your lenses as that is also huge for protection, i often see guys without hoods on their lenses and can't imagine why.

Other than that, no filter would really do you any good. In theory a circular polarizing filter would work but I've read of some guys have trouble getting pics accepted here take with a CP.

Joey
I would love to fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

dvincent

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:01 am

I use a cirpol on my wide angle lens for ramp shots and statics. They eliminate reflections and give the sky that deep, blue tone you want. They are a natural contrast/saturation booster and the effect of a polarizer can't really be "faked" if photoshop. Sure, you can darken blue skies, but you can't take out droplet haze or reflections...
From the Mind of Minolta

Fly747

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:22 am

I don't use a filter either. UV is a waste of money for digital. It does not affect the digital sensor as it does the film.

Quoting Sluger020889 (Reply 2):
i keep a UV filter on my 300 f4 at all times

Another big thing is to keep the hoods on your lenses as that is also huge for protection

Using both the filter and hood for protection is an overkill IMO.

Ivan

sluger020889

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:47 am

Quoting Fly747 (Reply 4):
Using both the filter and hood for protection is an overkill IMO.

Well in my case i have no choice with the 300 f4, the hood is built in.

But back when i had my 80-400 i did they same thing, and i can think of plenty of others that do it as well.

Better to be safe than sorry.
I would love to fly a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

CalgaryBill

Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:12 am

I don't inspect every pixel and i don't see a decrease in quality. In the end i guess it's a personal call. But i'd much rather scratch/break a filter than a front element any day.

Agreed on all counts. I use the B+W MRC filters (they're coated like camera lenses) and there is no lowing of image quality.

One of the reasons pro camera lenses are so expensive is because of the coatings they put on the lenses. I can just imagine every time I clean it a bit of that coating is scuffed off. I'd rather replace a much cheaper filter than send the lens for a replacement element.

Quoting Klintrepid (Reply 1):
Anyways you can do pretty much anything (filter wise) in photoshop.

You can't replace colour that isn't there, for instance the green lost on shiny leaves due to sun reflections - use a polarizer and it's a non-issue. Ditto the blue cast reflected off red/yellow toned subjects on a cloudy day - a polarizer cuts the blue cast substantially. Personally, I'd rather be out shooting than sitting in the computer room editing.

B

atomother
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:05 am

Yeah, I'm not really worried about protection here... I have been using my gear a long time and never had a problem that a good cleaning wouldn't take care of.

So it seems to me that a polarizer is the best way to go to bring out that extra color in your images. My next question is if I would normally use 1/400 for a shot would that now need to come down to 1/100 or something in that range to bring in enough light? Am wondering because if I am shooting at 300mm, it may be kinda tough to keep things sharp breaking that old focal length/shutter speed rule and all.

dvincent

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:10 pm

Quoting Atomother (Reply 7):
So it seems to me that a polarizer is the best way to go to bring out that extra color in your images. My next question is if I would normally use 1/400 for a shot would that now need to come down to 1/100 or something in that range to bring in enough light? Am wondering because if I am shooting at 300mm, it may be kinda tough to keep things sharp breaking that old focal length/shutter speed rule and all.

Yes, a polarizer will cut out some light, so you will need to up your ISO or open up your aperture a little more to keep shutter speeds.

On a bright sunny day, though, you should be able to hold a fairly high speed still even with one.
From the Mind of Minolta