Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mclaudio
Topic Author

PHX Small Doubt.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Hello again.
Another long distance call to the US spotters Big grin
After learning yesterday a little more about LAS (and honestly I have to thank those who helped me about Vegas...already owing coffees and energetic drinks), I still have one day off that I would like to invest (hmmm) on another one day spotting trip and PHX (Phoenix) seems like a very nice place and photos definitely have a beautiful backdrop.
My questions are simple (sometimes answers aren't):
1- Is it true that photography can be done from the rooftop of a car park? even if the photographer doesn't have a car?
2- if previous answer was positive, then what should I do? pass customs and go to the roof top or go to the garage before customs?
3- Once again, if answer to (1) was positive, what can I expect from the local authorities? I'm not really interested in confusions. Just want to see the aircrafts and bring back good memories and photos.
I already did a small search on some websites related with this issue and did found some information, but nothing better than to have some updated feedback.
Once again, thank you very much to those who are helping me with information to gradually build this spotting trip to the US.
Proudly one of the 6 million Portuguese that support SL Benfica!! Champions 2009-2010!

whappeh

RE: PHX Small Doubt.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:14 pm

When I go through PHX I shoot from the top of the roof, and yes it really can be done. I've never been hassled... and never heard of any bad stories. At worst, they'll ask for your ID and talk to you for a bit, but I've never even heard of anyone being asked to leave.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

psyops

Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:58 pm

The location you refer to is the top of the terminal 4 parking structure. The top is level 9, but you can shoot from 6, 7, 8 etc.

To get there you take the elevators from the main departures area (outside security) to whatever level you want to shoot from. You don't need a car.

You can't miss it.

I have never been bothered by anyone.

airkas1

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:35 pm

Quoting Psyops (Reply 2):
The location you refer to is the top of the terminal 4 parking structure.

I was at the parking garage of Terminal 2 last week and that's a great spot as well (if the traffic is landing there).
There was 1 cop who drove by, but he was very friendly'.

psyops

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:05 pm

You're right AirKas, terminal 4 is good for runway 26 arrivals and departures, this is usually later in the day.

Terminal 2 garage is accessible without a car and gives good access to morning departures.

extremetrek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:25 pm

The garage at terminal 3 can also be very nice for the aircraft using the crossover taxiway. Gives terminal 4 as a nice backdrop and gets you closer to taxiing aircraft. There is a free shuttle between the terminals so its quite easy to visit them all. I've never had a problem in the 500 million times i've been to Sky Harbor, airport police are quite friendly and theres always at least one other person there doing the same thing.
Even scientists say...everything is just light...not created/destroyed but eternally bright!

mclaudio
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Thank you very much for the feedback.
It really seems a nice place to spend a few hours.
Hmmm...things now start to sound quite interesting
 Wink
Proudly one of the 6 million Portuguese that support SL Benfica!! Champions 2009-2010!

Silver1SWA

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:30 pm

How much lens is needed for these PHX locations? Sportin' the 24-105 f/4L at the moment...enough for some things?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

airkas1

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 7):
How much lens is needed for these PHX locations? Sportin' the 24-105 f/4L at the moment...enough for some things?

I shot with my 70-200 and a 1.4x converter. It did the trick, but some shots are a bit blurryish. I'd recommend a minimum of 300mm.

visityyj

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Quoting Airkas1 (Reply 8):
I'd recommend a minimum of 300mm.

Zoom to 200mm enough for taxi and gate shots. 300mm minimum for runway action. 105mm is going to reach only the nearest gates I'm afraid.

Silver1SWA

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:42 pm

Quoting Visityyj (Reply 9):
Zoom to 200mm enough for taxi and gate shots. 300mm minimum for runway action. 105mm is going to reach only the nearest gates I'm afraid.

That's what I figured. Thanks.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

je89_w

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:05 am

Quoting Mclaudio (Thread starter):
Is it true that photography can be done from the rooftop of a car park? even if the photographer doesn't have a car?

Yup, it's very easy, as the replies above stated. Plus, you can head down the elevators to the departure level where there are many restaurants (more like fast food), shops, and bathrooms.

Quoting Mclaudio (Thread starter):
definitely have a beautiful backdrop.

Hmm, I wouldn't really say beautiful! Big grin

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Je89 W.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Je89 W.

But yes, it does have an outstanding view of the airport and the areas around.  Smile

mclaudio
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:16 am

Quoting Je89_w (Reply 11):
But yes, it does have an outstanding view of the airport and the areas around

Indeed it has. I really enjoy stuff like those two

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Duckworth
View Large View Medium

Photo © EDDL Photography

it seems like the aircraft went downtown for a ride Big grin it's pretty cool.
So I think I'll have some fun there. Once again thank you very much.

ketko2

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi Miguel!

I hope you will inform us about your spotting trip, as I am heading to LAX and PHX as well by the end of April.

May I ask, what airline are you booked on?

Thanks, regards, Keishi
KN Aviation - Plane spotting & avgeek articles, flight reports & lounge reviews

Bruce

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:41 pm

I just saw this thread so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I was just there Feb 18 - 22 for the first time. I saw several other people watching planes and/or taking pictures. Most of the time traffic didn't land on 26 though. Terminal 4's roof is great, as is Terminal 3. You can shoot the traffic crossing the "bridge" from either 4 or 3. You can also get good ramp shots around the gates by looking down from T4's garage - but mostly on the north side as the south side will be backlit and heaven forbid you should upload any even remotely backlit shot on here it'll be rejected...

T2's garage is only 2 levels and you can't see the south side. You can get some landing shots of the north side in between the light poles.

another spot that no one mentioned yet is off-site, on the south side on the berm at the end of 40th Street. Just take University Drive to 40th and turn right and go to the end....then up the dirt hill. there is supposed to be a dry river on the other side of the hill but it wasn't too dry..nevertheless, this is an outstanding spot to shoot traffic landing or taking off on the south runway. Can't shoot them on the ground there due to the fence way on the other side of the "dry" river.

At no time was I bothered by police or security in any of these spots on any day. VERY spotter and photographer friendly!

Bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

mclaudio
Topic Author

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:02 pm

Quoting Ketko2 (Reply 13):
May I ask, what airline are you booked on?

Hi Keishi. I will post a report...you know where  Wink , but fell free to ask more stuff if you need.
I will fly from LAX to PHX on US Airways (best schedules if compared with Southwest for a one day trip), which will be a debut for me.

Thank you very much Mr Bruce for the update. I think I will stay on the T3 and T4 because I will not have a car. I really enjoy those photos with traffic crossing the bridge. They look very funny.

Quoting Bruce (Reply 14):
heaven forbid you should upload any even remotely back lit shot on here it'll be rejected...

Nahh...no problem with that. Photos are mainly for my personal collection and I have no problems in getting a few in back light. If the reg is readable, then I'm happy with that.
Just one last question. I know that there is a B720 with Honeywell parked there. As for sure no one will invite me to a ramp visit to make a photo of it (though I wouldn't mind that Big grin) is it possible to at least see it and get a lousy miserable photo in back light with millions of light poles in front and plenty heat haze...from anywhere? I really just want to see it.
Once again, thank you very much.

Bruce

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Yes, I saw the 720 it is parked way across the north runways with the nose pointing south..it was so far away that i didn't bother taking a picture.

A Hawaiian 767 leaves at 815am from the south side and a BA 747 lands after 3pm on the north side. You cannot see the B744 at the gate from T4 nor can you see the HAL 763 at its gate from the T3 garage.

bruce

mclaudio
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi.
I am sorry to bring this old topic up, but I have a small doubt that some more familiar with KPHX might know the answer.
Next Sunday I will be in KPHX all day long to spot some nice aircrafts and the weather forecast includes T-storms and some showers (great  bigthumbsup  Wink ). As the places from where photos are possible are the parking lots...hmmm...I suppose I have a "roof" that will allow me to make photos protected from the rain. Is that correct ?
Thanks for the help, and once again sorry for bringing this older topic up.
MC

whappeh

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:33 pm

Just don't go to the highest level of the car park and that will keep a roof over your head.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

phxplanes

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:53 am

Quoting Je89_w (Reply 11):
Hmm, I wouldn't really say beautiful!

I wouldnt say all the views are bad, we have some scenery.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Jorgensen
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Jorgensen

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Nickerson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Akbar

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brandon Thetford
View Large View Medium

Photo © Christoph Meyer

Bruce

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:37 pm

the kc-135 photo should have been rejected for level as the tower is leaning to the right.

bruce