Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tills
Topic Author

New To The Forum.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:58 am

Hi all.

1st off just wanted to say how impressed I am with the site and these forums.

I'm yet to really venture into photography, but I've always wanted to make a start, and have always had a passion for a/c, so I figure the two are a natural match.  Smile

I've not really taken any real shots apart from at the last airshow I attended here in Melbourne, but that was on a cheap point and shoot digital camera.

I've been looking at buying a Canon 450D. Would that be a good camera to start on?

Again, great forum.

-Rob.

flynavy

RE: New To The Forum.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:17 am

Quoting Tills (Thread starter):
I've been looking at buying a Canon 450D. Would that be a good camera to start on?

I started out on a 400D (XTi) so the 450D should be okay for you. Just remember that a camera is worthless unless you have a decent lense to go with it. I use a 40D now, and usually my EF 100-400L IS USM along with it when I'm out spotting.

KLM772ER

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 1):
I started out on a 400D (XTi) so the 450D should be okay for you. Just remember that a camera is worthless unless you have a decent lense to go with it

checkmark  That's true, in the beginning (almost) every DSLR is sufficient to learn the basics and it is much more important to get a decent lens to get some good results, as it has the second most influence on the image quality right after you as the photographer  Wink

Good luck and lots of fun! Hope to see some good shots soon!  bigthumbsup 

Cheers
Björn

Tills
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:22 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll definitely get the 450D as I have a family member who works reasonably high up at Canon who can get me a good deal. I think the lens might have to wait a little while though until funds permit. But at least I can get some practice on the camera first.

I Figured I'd add some VERY ammature shots I took at Avalon.

Go easy on me. I took them on a $250 camera at the lowest setting (0.3mp) as I only got it the day before with a 16mb card. So these are as they came off the camera without editing/resizing/cropping. :p

SFO2SVO

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:20 pm

One suggestion is avoid shooting into the sun (like in your first image).
And have fun with it!  Smile

witticism

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:44 am

G'day Tills,

Welcome to an addictive hobby!  Wink

Lucky you having contacts at Canon.

I'm new to this as well and I've only got one photo on the DB but that is with a Canon 300D so the 450D will be excellent.

For more ideas on composing shots and what is required for A.net check out the discussion below;
New To The Hobbie (by USA1890 Feb 21 2008 in Aviation Photography)

and specifically the useful links in this response;

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 7):

As the guys said make sure you shoot with the Sun behind you where possible. (Lots of practice and you'll figure out how to position yourself for various lighting conditions.)

I like the pics of the Hornet and PC9 ... 'artistic' angle but not want A.net wants ... they like things being level! The Herc Bird is ok because it is banking.

[Just did a quick search and there is only 1 RAAF PC9 pic in the DB]

If you are ever in SYD happy to show you around.

Good luck and hope you have fun with the new camera.
Cheers
Sean

JeffM

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:52 am

Quoting SFO2SVO (Reply 4):
One suggestion is avoid shooting into the sun (like in your first image).

..and more importantly, don't tilt your camera.

Tills
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:07 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it.

I'm aware that in most cases you want the sun behind you. With the 1st pic, I couldn't get around to the other side, so I was limited with what I could do. I figured that with the sun in front of me I might get a nice silhouette, so I just had a go. In the end I like the result with the silhouette with just the wing coming towards the camera.

I had the same issue with the last photo as it was in the afternoon, so I was always looking into the sun.

JeffM, when you say about tilting the camera, are you referring to the Hornet and PC9 shots? I was just trying to make the static shots a little more interesting.

And Sean, I got up to Syd quite a bit. I grew up there, so I often go up to see the family and old mates etc. Problem is I'm always flat out trying to fit everyone in. Do you take many shots up there?

Silver1SWA

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:38 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 1):
Just remember that a camera is worthless unless you have a decent lense to go with it.

Not true. I spent an entire year shooting some great pictures with the kit lens and a basic 80-200mm consumer lens. Good lenses do make a difference, but if you know how to make the best out of your equipment, you can take wonderful shots.

To rephrase your statement, the camera (as well as any camera) is worthless without a good understanding of the camera, and the basic fundamentals of photography.

JeffM

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:49 am

Quoting Tills (Reply 7):
effM, when you say about tilting the camera, are you referring to the Hornet and PC9 shots? I was just trying to make the static shots a little more interesting.

Yes, I was. What makes you think such an odd angle makes them interesting.....that is something amatuers do.

spoogle

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:01 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 9):
that is something amatuers do

Or people who are not just shooting just for Airliners.net !

nice pics ... a good start

regards

Psych

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:27 am

Rob.

Welcome to the Forum.

It seems that you have already been reading discussions here, and one of the things you really must familiarise yourself with is the criteria that the site uses for acceptance, together with the ins and outs of how your camera works.

I agree with you about that first shot - it makes for an interesting photo directly into the sun, with the lighting we then see on the wing extending towards the viewer. Be sure that there is nothing wrong with thinking creatively like that - these things are the sign of a budding photographer. However, you need to know that such a motive will likely be unacceptable here, as would any shot purposely unleveled, as you did with a few photos above. A.net acceptance demands precision with leveling.

Good luck with your 450D - it should produce excellent results. I would say don't stunt your creativity simply to try to fulfil the criteria for the site; just be aware of the rules such that you won't let yourself in for any disappointment re rejections. Also, if you see a potential shot that you think might produce a result, try as much as possible to get it as 'right' as you can in the camera. It will still need editing afterwards, but the less you have to do, the better. So - for example - be aware that the Hornet would be a problem because you have chopped the end of the nose off (as well as the level issue) in the original, so no amount of expert editing can bring that back; the first F-16 is not centred correctly, as it is too far off to the left (so you would have to crop in to the original a lot to get that right, which would start to affect the overall quality); get things as level as possible in the first place, etc.

One other thing worth thinking about regarding lens quality and submissions here - as a general rule of thumb, the closer you can get to your subject, the greater the likelihood that the quality will be better, if your lens itself isn't top quality. That wouldn't apply throughout necessarily, but would be something to bear in mind.

Shoot for the enjoyment first and foremost.

All the best.

Paul

apgphoto

Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:10 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 9):
that is something amatuers do.

No that's what people do to get shots accepted on A.net

Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:54 am

I like the PC-9 shot, the angle suits it, but it won't make it on a.net for the level reason.  Smile

With patience, effort and a lot of practice you'll get photos on here.  Smile

GUAMVICE

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 8):
Not true. Good lenses do make a difference, but if you know how to make the best out of your equipment, you can take wonderful shots.

checkmark  I completely agree. Learn to use your equipment, and you can't go wrong.

witticism

Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:16 pm

Quoting Tills (Reply 7):
Do you take many shots up there?

Far too many ... or not enough! Depending on who you are?

I live close by tp SYD and I have to walk my dogs ... they love spotting too!

Big version: Width: 1200 Height: 938 File size: 436kb

I've got quite a few good shots that might make it on here but I don't have a good editing software package yet. (Just upgraded computers) The one shot I have in the DB was edited by a fellow A.net member.

Fell free to drop me a line if you are up in SYD.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 8):
I got up to Syd quite a bit. I grew up there, so I often go up to see the family and old mates etc. Problem is I'm always flat out trying to fit everyone in.

Likewise I'll be down in MEL soon (Hopefully Geelong can turn on a win for me  Wink )
Cheers