Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dimoko
Topic Author

Aviation Photography Forum Vs Prescreen Forum.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:08 pm

I always love coming to the photography forum. Any time i have questions about technique or gear i come here, and there is usually already a thread on it, and it is a great resource. I also love hearing about the best places to spot around certain airports, and stuff like that. Lately it seems as though this forum is just a giant pre-screen area! I have had my share of posts about specific shots i have taken. But they are mostly to ask about a specific question. "how should i crop this" "is my color ok" etc. It seems like this thread is litered with people just posting photos and asking if they are OK. Perhaps it helps the screeners that there is an early filter of photos that never get added to the que, but this forum seems to have degraded away from aviation photography, and into "is this good enough for the database"

Just my opinion, any comments?

[Edited 2008-03-11 06:36:19]
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

mat1979

RE: Aviation Photography Forum Vs Prescreen Forum.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:26 pm

Maybe a prescreen subforum might be a good idea.

sulman

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:26 pm

I think it's certainly an area that needs looking at. Some people really enjoy those pre-screen threads, and much as I'm against arbitrary sub-forum creation (it hinders rather than helps many boards) I think this is a good example of a topic that could do with it's own place.

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

ZakHH

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:05 pm

I have no problem with prescreen threads, if they are labelled properly (that basically applies to all kind of threads...). I also do not think that this subforum is too active to follow it.

But if DM would want to extend the forum, then how about 3 forum sections:

Aviation Discussions:
- Civil Aviation
- Military Aviation
- Polls & Prefs
- Tech Ops
- Aviation Hobby
- Trip Reports

Photography Discussions:
- Aviation Photography & Spotting
- General Photography
- Pre-Screen & Photo Feedback

Other Discussions:
- Non-Av
- Site Related

This would put more emphasis to the photography section. Still, it would bear the risk that, with too many subforums around, each one may not be active enough to attract visitors. Don't know how it would work out here.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

dimoko
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:57 pm

i like your idea Zak. i would love to have a general photography forum to chat with other experienced photographers.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

jorge1812

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:23 pm

You are more than right.
Aviation Photography Forum Should Be Re-named.... (by AKE0404AR Jan 6 2008 in Aviation Photography)

And my try to get a bit more order here was "rejected"
The Ultimate Pre-Screen Thread Part I (by Jorge1812 Mar 3 2008 in Aviation Photography)

Don't like that Pre-Screen threads very much and only read a few of them but in the past most of the pics there were voted unacceptable for Anet and I had the impression that most of the answers were more critical than screeners them self. If you have time, try to start one with 5 pics already online (in the last weeks) and see the answers....at least 4 will get a "no go" from the semi-screeners.

georg

ZakHH

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 5):
Don't like that Pre-Screen threads very much

Well, the sub-forum description reads:

Quote:
Discuss equipment, techniques, digital editing, or get feedback on you pictures before you upload them. Get the opinion of fellow photographers on your shots, and discuss ways to improve them.

So I guess prescreen threads is one of the main reasons of this subforum.  Smile
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

jorge1812

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:21 am

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 6):
So I guess prescreen threads is one of the main reasons of this subforum.

6 months ago it wasn't the main reason. Don't want to say that allowing uploader to post here fro free was the wrong way but since they are allowed those Pre-Screen threads took overhand.

georg

CalgaryBill

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:14 pm

You've got my vote for a pre-screen sub-forum.

Didn't DM or one of the screeners mention that changes to the forum might be coming? Or is it just my imagination?  Confused

B