Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mwhcvt
Topic Author

Thinking Of Buying My First Dslr

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:16 pm

Right I love looking at the photo's on a.net, plus some of the more artistic images that other photographers post on other websites.

I'd Like for advice of the camera, lenses, tripods and any other peripherals

I think that I will have a budget of around £800-£1000/$1200-$1500

I will not be making the purchase till the spring but would like advised please

I plan to use the camera for aviation photography, but would also like to have the functionally in the equipment to so more artistic and general pictures

Thanks the the advised folks it will be greatly appreciated.

Matthew @ CVT

flynavy

RE: Thinking Of Buying My First Dslr

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Get a Canon EOS 40D. The price is coming down with the recent release of the 50D.

vishaljo

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:43 pm

well if u have a $1500/- budget then just get a 40D + 28-135 IS USM (<< = $1006.95/- at B&H) + 70-200 f4 L

gmonney

Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:30 am

I would start with the xsi as its your first, you can get a great deal on one with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 i think or the 75-300 USM. Then save your money and get some good glass, upgrade the body when you feel that you have learned how the camera works. I started with a second hand camera from a very very very good photog and have never looked back. Depending on the distance from the aircraft you are shooting, look at getting a 100-400 or a 70-200 from canon.... or go Nikon, i am not farmiliar with Nikon but I am sure you can get a package with a few lenses for around $700 US and I am sure that will get you started.

As you will hear, build up your glass, it will pay off in the future...

Grant

JakTrax

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:12 am

Although I'm a Canon man I must admit that entry-level Nikons can't be beaten on price. Some Olympus and Sony models are also a bit of a bargain at the moment. Personally I'd just look at Canon or Nikon; not because their camera bodies are any better than the rest, but because they offer the best and widest range of peripherals (lenses in particular).

If you do go Canon, I'd get an entry-level model such as the 1000D or 450D, and spend a little more on good glass, which is more important than the actual camera. A mega-expensive body (like the 1DS Mk. III) with a crappy lens won't produce as good results as a cheapo body with a nice L series lens on the front.

I recommend a twin or even triple lens combo, as the 'all-in-one' lenses such as the 28-300 tend to offer very soft images. I use the EF28-105 F3.5-4.5 USM II and the EF70-200 F4 L and I've rarely found myself needing anything different. Next year I will be taking the plunge however and am going to buy the EF100-400 F4-5.6 L.

Karl

cpd

Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:46 am

Quoting Vishaljo (Reply 2):
well if u have a $1500/- budget then just get a 40D + 28-135 IS USM (<< = $1006.95/- at B&H) + 70-200 f4 L

Good choice - the 40D is a great camera. I however use Nikon, but there are some more attractive Canon lenses that neatly fill frustrating gaps in the Nikkor line-up.

I get perfectly good images out of the D80 with some reasonable glass (a Nikkor 300mm ED prime, or the 50-500 Sigma). The kit lenses are generally nothing to write home about - better just getting the body and the specific lenses you want/need.

However, as much as we tell you what is good - you need to try the cameras yourself, see which one you feel more comfortable using. I was a Canon user before, but when I went digital, I just preferred the feel and operation of Nikon cameras.

mwhcvt
Topic Author

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:13 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 1):

Quoting Vishaljo (Reply 2):

Quoting Gmonney (Reply 3):

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 4):

Quoting Cpd (Reply 5):

Thank You all for such well thought out post the information is of great use to me, I imagine that I shall go into a photography store to have a look and hopefully test out the cameras but possibly will look at making the final purchase on the Internet

gmonney

Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Looks like B and H have what i said, 450D + 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS for $790, That is well below your budget, this will be a good start, in good sun, you will have no problem getting great photos. Then you can look at getting some better glass, I know you will use the two kit lenses on trips, and other situations when you won't want to pull out the L glass.

$1500 will get you either the 100-400 or a 70-200 2.8, these will be with you for a very long time, so save you money and work towards one or both of these lenses. This is the message that I have been reading on here for many years. I have a 10D, 5D, 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 75-300 USM, and a sigma 170-500. So as you can see, once you buy a lens it will stay with you for a long time, so start slow and work towards the best you can afford at the time... as well learn the camera and how it works...

On another note, the 250mm in the kit will give you a good idea if the 70-200 will be enough zoom for your airport or if you need the 100-400. I find the 100-400 to be an amazing lens with lots of different varieties of possible pictures. I took my buddies to LAS a few years back and it was simply amazing.

Good luck and keep us posted, we look forward to your first photo and more,

Grant

vishaljo

Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Quoting Gmonney (Reply 7):
B and H have what i said, 450D + 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS for $790

B&H have the Canon Rebel XS (1000D) + 18-55 IS + 75-300 USM III for $535.90/- now you can either go for that because Canon dosent seem to be selling the Rebel XS/1000D body only - it comes bundled with the 18-55 IS which is currently selling there for $479/- so either this or just get the first bundle - see how things go - and if you feel the need for a longer reach or higher quality glass just go for any of the better lenses.

Canon 400D > 450D & 1000D Comparison Page

Cheers - Vishal  bigthumbsup 

mwhcvt
Topic Author

Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanks again guys I would like your opinions on this deal, more specifically the lenses

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...in%20Lens%20Bundle-74764/Show.html

But it also appears that I have opened a can of worms with this thread, but here goes. What peripherals should I get as a starter kit, I'm thinking sturdy carry case/bag, tri-pod and maybe some filters but what else would you recommend

This store for those non-uk a.netters has the added benefit that it has stores in most UK towns and city's so I can go in and have a play and maybe even attempt a negotiation of a bundle deal

timdegroot

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:38 pm

40D these days is best value for money. Pick one up secondhand, they are usually still under warranty and many have hardly been used. The saving can go towards a nice lens, 70-200 f4 and 28-105 maybe, again depending on what type of shooting you want to do. If your primary lens will be tele spend your money on that, if you'll mostly be using a shortzoom maybe spend some extra on a 17-40L.

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 9):
But it also appears that I have opened a can of worms with this thread, but here goes. What peripherals should I get as a starter kit, I'm thinking sturdy carry case/bag, tri-pod and maybe some filters but what else would you recommend

get a bag that suits your needs, but dont skimp on the quality. Only get a tripod now if you plan to really use it, then when you feel the need to get one later you can spend some money on a good one. You can get a UV filter to protect your glass, but again get a good one like B+W. You might want to consider an external flash since you say you wont just be using it for aviation photography. Also get a spare battery and enough CF cards.

Tim

JRadier

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:15 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 10):
You can get a UV filter to protect your glass, but again get a good one like B+W

B+W is the brand out there, but they are quite expensive. Hoya makes (very) good ones as well as long as you get the SHMC (Super HMC) or the Pro1 line, the rest is pretty much rubbish.

Zeechar

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:00 am

I always tell people starting out to research glass. DSLR bodies are like computers and new versions are out every year (so now it seams). Glass lasts a lifetime and it is critical as it transmits light (image information) to the camera sensor. In my opinion one of the 3 critical pieces that form the quality triangle - glass, sensor and processor. Glass is #1.

vishaljo

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 4):
I use the EF 28-105 F3.5-4.5 USM II

Quoting Gmonney (Reply 3):
I would start with the xsi as its your first, you can get a great deal on one with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250

I own the 400D, EF 28-105 F3.5-4.5 USM II & Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
These two are shot with the 28-105
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vishal Jolapara - Indian Aviation Photographers
View Large View Medium

and these two with the 55-250
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

I've picked one day and one night shot to help you get an idea of what these lenses are capable of (the contrasty effects in both the night shots is because of the hazy weather at BOM & not due to the lens  Wink )

ANITIX87

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 pm

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 9):
Thanks again guys I would like your opinions on this deal, more specifically the lenses

With the budget you have, I would absolutely recommend avoiding Tamron lenses.

Also, I would recommend ordering from bhphoto.com. They have much, much cheaper prices than anything you'll find in England (even with shipping) and they have anything and everything you might be looking for.

TIS

[Edited 2008-12-02 11:35:17]

DSMav8r

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:20 pm

+1 for the 40D

I own both the 40D and 50D and I am having a little bit of buyers' remorse with the 50D. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful camera, but I don't think it was the "upgrade" Canon intended. Outside of the extra MP and LCD screen, I see no difference between the two.

I am not a believer in going through multiple camera bodies based on your current skill level. I find it much more beneficial to buy what you can afford and grow into the camera.

Canon EOS-40D - $839 (Amazon)

Consider the following lenses:

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC IF Macro - Highly, highly recommend this lens
Canon 70-200mm f/4 EF USM
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS

and....

Believe it or not, if you want an all-in-one solution...

Sigma AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS

This is the best superzoom on the market, period. I use this as my primary "walkaround" lens and believe me, it rivals a lot of L glass that I own, plus, it has (in my opinion) the best image stabilization unit you can get, even beating out Canon's IS. The only drawback to this lens is, you need bright light and preferably in the f/8-f/11 range to get best results.