Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

speedbird19
Topic Author

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me? I'm looking to upgrade to a Panasonic Lumix FZ28 from my Nikon Coolpix S210, mainly for something better than 3x Zoom to be honest! If anyone has any horror stories please tell me before I buy it!!!  Smile
Planeprincess

JakTrax

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

The Lumix series from much of what I've seen suffers from relatively high noise, even at lower ISOs. In low light the results are, naturally, even more noticeable.

Have you the cash to buy a DSLR perhaps?

Karl

speedbird19
Topic Author

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Well i've seen the Lumix FZ28 for around £250, but there's also the Sony A200K for near enough the same price. I just want quality and better zoom really, something better than my current camera definately! Plus better zoom is a must, I go to ALC quite a bit and could get better photos with a decent camera. I've a few on myaviation but not really as good as they could be!

http://myaviation.net/?uid=24152
Planeprincess

JakTrax

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:38 pm

£250 you say? Save a little more (£20-£30) and get a budget Sony or Nikon DSLR. Much better than even the most expensive of compacts.

Karl

speedbird19
Topic Author

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:42 pm

That's why I was thinking the Sony A200K, Dixon's have it for £240 with a standard lens.
Planeprincess

JakTrax

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:00 pm

Sorry, I should have read your post more carefully!

Yes, the Sony A200 would be a wonderful choice - certainly a much better option than a Lumix at a similar price. The only downside is that you would then need a longer-range lens to compliment the one supplied with the body - unless you bought body only then a different lens.

Karl

speedbird19
Topic Author

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:06 pm

I think I would probably keep to the standard lens until I got used to using it, but £240 isn't bad for the body and a standard lens Big grin
Planeprincess

JakTrax

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Not bad at all, I'd snap their hand off at that price! OK, so you may have to save up for another lens but at least you'll have great equipment to learn with. Once you've used a DSLR (and subsequently got used to using the functions) you'll wonder how you ever managed with a compact!

Karl

JakTrax

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:10 pm

I've just had a look at some of the best deals at various reputable UK dealers and, shockingly, Dixons are offering by far the best price - get that while you can!

Karl

speedbird19
Topic Author

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:13 pm

Well my current camera, if you can call it a camera, would be more use as a wheel chock! I use it on the Manual Shooting settings, and it's just a tad limited  Sad
Planeprincess

JakTrax

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Looking at your images I see you are a MAN regular - my home turf too!

I see what you mean about the limitations of your current camera; but additionally you need to make the most of the light and get in a good position. Many of your photo's are backlit, which as you may know is a big no-no. There are a few nice ones however, which as you say only require a touch more zoom.

The Sony will really get you started!

Karl

speedbird19
Topic Author

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 pm

I try and get some photos now and again whilst I'm working Big grin
Planeprincess

JakTrax

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Yeah, looking at your images I thought you might work there - you dispatch or gate personnel or something? Mustn't always be easy to get into the right place, however I'm sure you're aware there are some great places around the airfield perimeter (for when you're not working!).

Karl

speedbird19
Topic Author

Tips On A New Camera

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm a dispatcher Big grin Always have my camera with me in work, never know what each day can bring! I did find a tripod in my house the other day so I'm hoping to test that out on the Southside at some point!
Planeprincess

vaporlock

Tips On A New Camera

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:48 am

Quoting Speedbird19 (Reply 2):
Plus better zoom is a must

Claire, if you want something with better optical zoom, you can try the newest addition of Canon's - the Canon Powershot SX10 IS.

Here is a brief overview - the optical on this is 20x.

Whether the action is fast or slow, close up or far away, you'll always get the shot you want with the PowerShot SX10 IS. This camera puts you on the cutting edge of advanced technology, with an incredibly powerful 20x optical zoom, 10-megapixel resolution, and DIGIC 4 image processor for high-performance face and motion detection.

The PowerShot SX10 IS is equipped with a 20x optical zoom lens with a focal length of 5.0-100mm that allows you to shoot any scene from wide-angle to telephoto. The camera uses a VCM (Voice Coil Motor) for high-speed, quiet, energy-efficient lens movement with precise control. Focal length is conveniently indicated on the lens barrel.

The lens is optimized to fully exploit its zoom length and wide shooting angle in concert with the camera's high 10.0-megapixel resolution. UD glass effectively suppresses chromatic aberration, while enhanced negative refractive power ensures that distortion at the wide-angle is also corrected. Further aberration is controlled with the inclusion of a double-sided aspherical glass-molded lens and ultra-high refraction index lens.

The SX10 IS is equipped with Canon's acclaimed optical image stabilizer technology that automatically detects and corrects camera shake - one of the leading causes of fuzzy or blurred shots. Even when zoomed in, you can get the steady, crisp, brilliant images you'll be proud to shoot and share. And Canon's optical image stabilizer technology is convenient to use. It functions perfectly with or without a flash.

I believe this is selling for around $339. CAN which is a great buy. It also takes double AA batteries.

Just my 2 cents!!! lol

Vaps  bouncy 

JakTrax

Tips On A New Camera

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 14):
Canon Powershot SX10 IS

In no way comparable with a DSLR though. Stick with the Sony, and you won't regret it!

Karl

speedbird19
Topic Author

Tips On A New Camera

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:09 pm

I think I've made my mind up to choose the Sony, did look at a Fuji but I want to stay away from AA battery eaters, much prefer a rechargeable battery Big grin
Planeprincess

smonkcaptain

Tips On A New Camera

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Definately get the A200. I get annoyed sometime, when people right off Sony and there DSLR's, as begineer and average quality kits, but im using the A200 + Sigma 70-300mm and im extremely impressed with the quality and professionalism of the camera. A must for any photographer!
Regards, Jimmy Leaman.

JakTrax

Tips On A New Camera

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Quoting Smonkcaptain (Reply 17):
I get annoyed sometime, when people right off Sony and there DSLR's

People don't really write off Sony's (or anyone else's for that matter) cameras and I personally think they are better built and offer nicer features than the low-end Canons (and bear in mind I'm a Canon kid!). However the reason why folks are so quick to recommend Canon and Nikon is that these two undoubtedly have the best lens line-ups. Sony are definately hot on their heels in my opinion, optimising Minolta's digital technology.

Karl

dvincent

RE: Tips On A New Camera

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Welcome to the Sony/Minolta club. Some day we'll get Karl back... 70-400G anyone?  Wink
From the Mind of Minolta