Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cvervais
Topic Author

Mac Users- problems with color?

Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm having a problem with my images appearing different when viewed on a Windows machine or, after uploading the photo to a.net. On windows machines and after the upload the image appears to be more washed out than what I see on my Mac.

I've been using Aperture 2 for my workflow and exporting with a sRGB profile. I've tried with a Adobe RGB profile but, it's still looks different when viewed on windows.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Do I need to drop Aperture and use Elements?

aero145

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:24 pm

My solution to this exact problem was saving with Apple RGB.  Smile

cvervais
Topic Author

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Ok, saving as Apple RGB gets it a lot closer, not 100% but, just about. Are you using Aperture as well?

Now to go in and re-edit some of the photos and see where it goes.

syncmaster

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:39 pm

I have noticed this problem using Aperture 2 myself. On your Mac is there much difference between sRGB and Apple RGB?

-Charlie

cvervais
Topic Author

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Quoting Syncmaster (Reply 3):

Yes, quite a difference.

highguy76

RE: Mac Users- Problems With Color?

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:15 am

Cvervais,
Do you use Photoshop as well as Aperture2? If so, have you noticed the color differences in PS as well?

Also, do you use any monitor calibration (Spyder, ect.) ?

mirrodie

Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:03 am

I juts started to edit pics after a long hiatus and am also doing so from a Mac, but
with Photoshop CS3.

I am having the SAME problem, not sure how to change to the right setting. Its only a problem here as I have uploaded to another site without the same dulling washed out colors.

I'm not sure where to even begin. I tried to change a setting in PS from "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" to
ADobe 1998 (have not tried Apple RGB) under 'color settings' but that did not help.

ANd I do not know where to look for safari's color settings.

Finally, then the image is being save, I hit save as and one of the options is to 'embed color profile Adobe 1998' which is usually ticked yes.

PLease advise.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

spurusho

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:30 am

Color managment is a pain in Windows too. I use Windows XP + Dell 2407WFP-HC calibrated by Spyder2Express (some say it's not a good combo, but seems to work okay for me), so the default colorprofile for my system is 'Spyder2Express', which I believe is close to sRGB. What Photoshop displays differs from what IE7 and Opera display. Safari shows the same colors as Photoshop, when I view the image on the HDD, however, after submission to the queue there is no difference between safari, IE and opera.

Maybe the embedded sRGB profile is stripped from the file after submission?

Anyway, in Photoshop there is an option to proof the colors according to the monitor color space, that might help a bit to check the difference.

dlowwa

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:48 am

try this:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9311-9478

I haven't had any issues with color settings since (Also, I always make sure any photos I might be uploading are saved in the sRGB color space).

mirrodie

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:00 pm

Before I take the 2 steps noted in the previous 2 posts, may I ask, am I chasing my own tail?

Why would the photos show up just fine on my monitor and just fine when uploaded elsewhere but different here? Where exactly do I need to make a change so that it suits the image uploaded here>
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

spurusho

Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:23 pm

Just to clarify the previous statement

"Safari shows the same colors as Photoshop, when I view the image on the HDD, however, after submission to the queue there is no difference between safari, IE and opera."

...what I mean to say is after I upload to A.net, the image I see is what IE showed previously, but now all the browsers show the same thing. It's not what I see in Photoshop.
--------------------

You can check Photoshop's in-built help file on color management, that'll give you an outline of what to do.

I changed my working space back to the Spyder2express setting and have left ' preserve embedded profiles on'; it seems to be better now. What PS shows and what the browsers show are much closer.

BTW, don't take my advice at face value...I am not 100% sure of what I am doing..it works for me, but it may not for a Mac.

cvervais
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:05 pm

You know what, I wonder if it's getting mangled as the system adds the copyright footer to the message. Maybe that's mucking with the color profile, stripping it, or setting it to something else.

gmonney

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:24 pm

I was wondering about this, my Wife got a MacBook Pro a while ago and she bought me CS4 cause my office got turned into a toy room.... anyway, I was wondering if the colours are the same and will my editing be effected... I have a recent example below... If this is ok.... then i should be fine...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Grant Feggi - T.dot Photography

Thanks,

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

Serge933

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:59 pm

When I first got CS4, I noticed the images were very dark and full of contrast on Photoshop, but when I saved them into my computer and opened with another program, they were fine.

Im not sure if its the same problem you have, but (sorry don't remember) there's an option on im pretty sure both programs where you can choose what type of colour settings you want to be shown on that program. You will have to change it back to normal which Im not sure which it is.
Just keep trying each one.

This may not be as helpful, but try it out hehe.
My old signature was embarrassing - Sergio 05/14/20

cvervais
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:30 pm

Grant, that looks fine to me. That was done with CS4 on a mac? What color profile are you saving as? Also, the image that was uploaded, does it match what you see in Photoshop?

dlowwa

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:21 pm

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 14):
Grant, that looks fine to me. That was done with CS4 on a mac? What color profile are you saving as? Also, the image that was uploaded, does it match what you see in Photoshop?

Take a look at any of my shots in the database. ALL were processed with either CS2 or CS4, ALL on a Mac, ALL saved in the sRGB color space, ALL look just as they did when I edited them in Photoshop, and (importantly and obviously) ALL were accepted.

Just get your color spaces/profiles to match, and you won't have this problem anymore. You can contact me if you still for some reason have issues, and I'd be glad to help.

Dana

cvervais
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:58 pm

Ok, using Photoshop Elements 6 I'm able to maintain the image through processing, export, and upload. PSE also seems to be better than Aperture 2 in sharpening photos. So, I've reedited two images using PSE this time and will create a new pre-screening topic.

I'm going to go pick up the Photoshop Elements book so I can learn how to use this program more.

gmonney

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 am

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 14):

I have no idea what you are talking about.... I just crop, adjust the levels, resize, sharpen and save, and set the quality to 12?? thats it...

Grant

oh forgot to say it looks the same on a.net as it does on the computer... no real change... but i am not sure on others computers...

[Edited 2009-04-05 18:15:13]
Drive it like you stole it!

cvervais
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:58 am

No worries Grant, I got Photoshop Elements and it's now working as I expect. I don't know why Aperture 2 even saving as sRGB is different than Photoshops sRGB. Oh well. Elements seems pretty easy to use and does what I need it to do.

Samuel32

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:35 pm

I have the same problem with my Macbook Pro.

That Apple RGB didn't work and made it worse....

What I do is, I proof setup with the (LCD profile I think) and then edit in proofing mode and it all works. This only happens when I upload to a.net or the internet in general. Printing its all good and thats what counts.

Sam,

mirrodie

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:30 am

Samuel, not sure what you mean.

on the Mac, I was using ACR to open the image, editing with Photoshop and then
when asked to save the image, I save and tick the box that says to embed the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1 file.

mirrodie

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:33 am

Samuel, not sure what you mean.

on the Mac, I was using ACR to open the image, editing with Photoshop and then
when asked to save the image, I save and tick the box that says to embed the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1 file.

Jsut tried to upload again and same problem when I upload to anet so again I yanked pics from the queue.

mirrodie

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:56 am

Update:

I went to system preferences> displays>color

and the monitor was preset to "COLOR LCD" which I have changed to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" (as this is the only reference to sRGB, I assume its correct?)

ANd now I open the pic in CS3, edit and save with "embed sRGB checked off.

THe uploaded image seems to match the image on PS.

Does that seem to be the correct course of action?

cvervais
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:00 am

Yes, that should work.

For the record, I broke down and got a Spyder 3 calibration tool. It arrives tomorrow. I'll let folks know how it goes.

scottieprecord

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:11 am

I'd suggest editing your shots on Elements rather than Aperture. The

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 23):
I'll let folks know how it goes.

Awesome. I've been having trouble with color differences on my mb since I got it almost 2 years ago!

cpd

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:11 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 22):
which I have changed to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1"

This is what it should be.

If it works, then keep doing that.

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 23):
For the record, I broke down and got a Spyder 3 calibration tool. It arrives tomorrow. I'll let folks know how it goes.

You need to run the calibration under the light conditions that you most commonly use to edit your images. Otherwise it'll give you funny results. I have a Spyder2Pro and used it on the PC and Mac (the wonders of a site registration, instead of a 1 user / 1 computer registration).

cvervais
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:40 am

Yup, I already reviewed the documentation for it. Fortunately, I do all my editing at a desk that other than light bulbs (CFLs now) the lighting isn't moved around like in a studio. I also do my editing after the sun has gone down for the most part so, sunlight changing the dynamics of the room should not be a problem.

aero145

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 2):
Are you using Aperture as well?

No, CS4 (and when I started using Apple RGB, CS3). 100% match between in-Photoshop and uploaded to A.net.

Regards,
DAE

cvervais
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 am

Ok, I'm back to square one and it's aggravating me. When I upload the picture to a.net the color goes to poo. It looks fine in photoshop elements 6, safari, firefox, preview but, as soon as I upload it to a.net the color goes to poo

I'm applying the sRGB profile when I'm working with the image. When I go to save for web I tick the box for ICC profile to embed it, and it's set to use the document color profile. And, it looks fine everywhere until I upload it to here.

Here's the phooey version after uploading it here:

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...772833.9509cvervais-n598fe_412.jpg

and here's how it appears everywhere else...

http://homepage.mac.com/cvervais/airliners/cvervais-N598FE_412.jpg

cvervais
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:50 am

So, I've tried everything I can think of but, the upload still screws up the image. I've tried with and without embedding a ICC profile. Every time I do that the jpg saved looks like poo.

So, with embed ICC profile checked, using standard windows color or, use document color profile results in the images looking as I intend them to be everywhere but after uploading here.

I'm starting to think that the upload process and the addition of the copyright footer is stomping on the color profile.

cpd

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:38 am

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 29):
So, I've tried everything I can think of but, the upload still screws up the image. I've tried with and without embedding a ICC profile. Every time I do that the jpg saved looks like poo.

So, with embed ICC profile checked, using standard windows color or, use document color profile results in the images looking as I intend them to be everywhere but after uploading here.

I'm starting to think that the upload process and the addition of the copyright footer is stomping on the color profile.

Calm down!  Smile Have you looked at both of them on a PC?

They are identical for me - I'll look at them on my iMac shortly.

cvervais
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:04 pm

Ok, I must be losing my mind, now they both look alike.

cvervais
Topic Author

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:38 pm

So, for the record, the Spyder calibrator made a huge difference on my editing. I'm now able to see color casts and correctly correct them. Same goes for contrast. It's money well spent to me.