Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chase
Topic Author

Best Method For Converting Slides To Digital?

Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 pm

Last summer my mom gave me some slides that my dad took while spotting airside at STL around 1981. I haven't looked at them recently, but I remember seeing OZ, TW, and DL aircraft. I think some may be good enough to be posted on a.net. (However, I'm no expert - I have only ever submitted one photo here, and it was rejected)

My question is: what's a good, cheap, and reliable way to convert these slides into JPGs so that I can try submitting them here? Quantity-wise, we're talking about approximately 50 slides.

I have a 4-in-1 flatbed scanner - is it just a matter of scanning the slide and then inverting the colors in Photoshop?

Thanks!

Edit: For that matter, would I even be allowed to submit photos to a.net that were taken by my father and not by me?

[Edited 2009-05-06 13:19:22]

oly720man

RE: Best Method For Converting Slides To Digital?

Wed May 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Quoting Chase (Thread starter):
I have a 4-in-1 flatbed scanner - is it just a matter of scanning the slide and then inverting the colors in Photoshop?

The scanner should work with slides and negatives so you shouldn't need to invert the colours.

Quoting Chase (Thread starter):
Edit: For that matter, would I even be allowed to submit photos to a.net that were taken by my father and not by me?

Many others have. If you do a photo search with "my father" as keywords there are plenty. From the ones there it seems that you state in the remarks that your father was the photographer and upload in your name.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

2H4

Wed May 06, 2009 9:06 pm

I scanned a number of old slides using an expensive Nikon Coolscan scanner owned by my employer. It might be worth checking to see if your local library has a nice one that you can use.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Jalap

Wed May 06, 2009 10:20 pm

You can't make a nearly decent scan with just a flatbed scanner, you'll need at least a device to help scanning something transparent for such a scanner has the light source at the wrong side. Those things exist but I have no clue if this gives a decent result.

I'm using a dedicated slide scanner, a nikon coolscan but as said this is an expensive toy. If you can't borrow something like this I think it's best to go to a local photography shop and ask if they can have them scanned for you. It won't be free of course but you'll certainly have a result that could very well be worthy for this site  Wink

JakTrax

Thu May 07, 2009 6:55 am

Post-scanning you'll need to run the images through noise-reduction software. Neatimage comes highly recommended but careless use can ruin images!

Karl

walter2222

Thu May 07, 2009 7:17 am

Quoting Jalap (Reply 3):
You can't make a nearly decent scan with just a flatbed scanner, you'll need at least a device to help scanning something transparent for such a scanner has the light source at the wrong side. Those things exist but I have no clue if this gives a decent result.

All my slide-scans on here have been made with a cheap flat-bed scanner (Canon Canoscan 8400F), which comes with adapter(s) for scanning slides, negatives,.... When using the adapters, a light source in the lid is used. It does not bring the quality of a dedicated slide scanner, but it comes at a much more affordable price  Smile If the quality of the original is OK, then scanning results are OK as well (certainly for here).

Here is an earlier topic about scanning:
https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ation_photography/read.main/234997

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

JakTrax

Thu May 07, 2009 9:00 am

I agree fully with Walter - in fact my scanner (Canonscan 4400F) is even cheaper than Walter's and still produces great results. Obviously not in the same league as a dedicated and much more expensive scanner but the usual rules apply - if the original image is good enough then so the scan will be, provided proper editing is done. Remember, an image is only as good as the person behind the camera.

Some examples using my scanner that have made the grade here...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Karl Nixon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl Nixon

Regards,

Karl

Jalap

Fri May 08, 2009 7:04 am

Those are pretty decent results indeed!  Wow!

Didn't realise a flatbed could achieve these levels of sharpness and colour!

airpic

Fri May 08, 2009 8:45 am

Have you thought about photographing the slide with the DSLR? I get some pretty decent results using this approach. Actually, the results are much better than compared with a slide scanner.

chase
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2009 1:55 pm

Thank you all very much for your responses.

Walter2222, I apologize for not finding the other thread on my own - thank you for linking to it! I'm impressed at the flatbed scanner results posted.

Airpic, until yesterday I never would have thought of photographing the slide with my DSLR - I would have thought that would degrade quality (kind of like when making a copy of a copy of an audiocassette)...but after creating this thread I did see a webpage where someone showed their setup for doing just that. Although I'm a little concerned because it would be impossible to make the DSLR and the slide projector be colinear, since then one would block the other, so the picture would come out ever-so-slightly trapezoidal, right? Unless you did something like: camera ----- > projection screen < ------ projector But that would probably require a snazzier screen than what I could get my hands on. How do you get around this issue?

baldursveins

Fri May 08, 2009 3:26 pm

I have started to use my EOS5D MkII to photograph my old slides. I have a light board, from the olds slide days, which gives off decent daylight temperature.

I bought myself a 100 mm Macro lens f/2.8. I use a tripod and mount the slide on the lightboard with a homemede cardboard holder which I taped to the lightboard. I use aperture priority and f/11. An extension cord is a must and I use a tripod. I use the Live View mode to preview the slide and use manual focus. The most important part of this is that I can magnify the view five or ten times with the magnifying button. For correctly exposed slides I do not need to use any exposure compensation, but one can do two or three exposusures with different compensation in a few seconds time.

With the live view on and the manual focus, you see just how extremely sensitive the focusing distance is, and you can focus right down to the grain in the film. Of course if you have lettering, markings or other liniear features these are a good aid if you move the magifying window over them. You fiddle a bit till you are satisfied with the focus. Then you turn off the Live View mode and just press the extension release. With the fiddling around of focus this takes some time at the start of a session, but if you have the slides in the same type mounts, and are sure you have not changed the distance, you could copy a lot more slides this way that with a scanner. Also the file quality is better, the light is better distributed and even if I take part of the framing along to be sure I get the whole frame, the file size of the resultant photo is maybe 36-50 MB after cropping.

The reason I turn off the live weiv mode, is that it takes over the speed and aperture, and as I want to use the middle apertures and not maybe 3.8 or 4, I do it this way.

Just a three photo preview of some results.

http://www.flugheimur.is/flugvelar/myndir/208_1.jpg
http://www.flugheimur.is/flugvelar/myndir/250_2.jpg
http://www.flugheimur.is/flugvelar/myndir/371_3.jpg

(Note some may need a little bit more cleaning)

Baldur Sveinsson

JakTrax

Fri May 08, 2009 3:31 pm

To clarify, if you're going to scan slide/film you'll need a scanner which can accommodate such media, not just any old flatbed. Still, scanners with photo-scanning facilities are still very cheap considering.

For the examples I posted above, I actually scanned the prints, which offers inferior quality to scanning negatives or slides. Basically, the quality will be even better if scanned direct from the source.

Quoting Jalap (Reply 7):
Didn't realise a flatbed could achieve these levels of sharpness and colour!

It can't - but Photoshop can, LOL!

Karl

viv

Fri May 08, 2009 4:50 pm

The best method is to use a dedicated photo scanner (not flatbed) and scan colour slides - preferably shot on very slow film.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

walter2222

Fri May 08, 2009 4:52 pm

Quoting BaldurSveins (Reply 10):
I bought myself a 100 mm Macro lens f/2.8.

That is also on my wish-list (this will certainly speed up the digitization-process!), since a flatbed-scanner is a cheap solution, but it does consume a lot of my time...

I had read about this procedure before:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Roel reijne

View Large View Medium

Photo © Roel reijne

A.netter Roel Reijne has been using this process already for a long time, and with success! Results are really great (originals too of course)! He once described his process in Scramble-magazine, but I am not sure whether it is available on the net?

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

JakTrax

Fri May 08, 2009 5:32 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 12):
The best method is to use a dedicated photo scanner (not flatbed) and scan colour slides - preferably shot on very slow film.

Viv,

Indeed, but dedicated photo-scanners are very expensive, and perhaps like me many peoples' images are on 35mm film, and much of that film probably ISO200.

My flatbed (with limited photo capabilities) gets results good enough for here for the sort of money I wanted to pay. Yes, it is time-consuming but with every finished scan you feel an achievement has been made. In fact, the time-consuming bit isn't the scanning but the 'touching up' in PS and subsequently Neatimage.

If you've got plenty of time and mega-bucks, go ahead and buy a high-end Nikon photo-scanner. Or if, like me, you wish to every now-and-then casually scan and retouch a few old images, go for the cheaper flatbed option. Remember, the images I posted are scanned from prints - scanning neg's or slides delivers better quality still.

Karl

walter2222

Fri May 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 14):
In fact, the time-consuming bit isn't the scanning but the 'touching up' in PS

checkmark 
... and what is also time-consuming is the search for the correct data (location, serial numbers, exact date,...)
this is an example of a scan (with a cheap flat-bed scanner) of a 30+ year old slide:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Walter Van Bel

if I remember well, this one has taken me hours and days to really identify the aircraft's registration (the other slides - with better view on the registration - had been misplaced over the years...)

Time-consuming, ...but it brings back lots of memories  Smile

Best regards,

Walter

JakTrax

Fri May 08, 2009 6:03 pm

To be honest, I think the price difference between dedicated photo-scanners and flatbeds with photo capabilities is far greater than the quality difference between the two - certainly to the untrained eye anyway.

The overall result isn't 10 times better, but the price of the former is 10 times greater!

Karl