Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Silver1SWA
Topic Author

Help With Preparing Image For Print.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Hey,

I have recently been contacted about photo usage for a Calendar. The only request is that the image be at 300ppi or greater. They were not able to provide dimensions needed. I'm just not sure how to properly set up my photo to match the required resolution. I have little experience with this.

Any help?

Thank you.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

walter2222

RE: Help With Preparing Image For Print.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi Ryan,

Since 300ppi means 300 "pixels per inch", it depends on your photo-size what format they will be able to print (e.g. if your original is 3600x2400 pixels, the print will be 12 x 8 inches). If they would print at 200ppi, the photo would be 18 x 12 inches. If they want to print at a higher resolution than 300ppi, then the photo will be smaller. For a calendar, 300ppi seems normal (but I have had posters made at a lower ppi setting with still reasonable quality).

PS: Editing for print is also different from editing for websites. It might also be wise to ask in which color space they will be working (if they want to do some editing themselves before final printing).

Good luck (and keep us informed about the outcome)!,

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

Silver1SWA
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks Walter. I'm still confused though. I guess what I'm trying to find out is a step-by-step process in Photoshop to turn my original photo into a photo matching their only specification which is that it must be at least 300ppi. I have found explanations of what 300ppi means, but I'm not sure how to properly set that up.

Sorry if I come off as clueless here...lol. I just need to get the photo to them soon but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing when it comes to preparing it for them.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

walter2222

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:45 am

Hy Ryan,

I would keep roughly the same process for editing as you use for web-publishing (like here), but do not resize your shot (keep as many pixels as possible), that will allow them to print as large as possible. I would also keep sharpening a bit less than for here. The 300ppi is a setting that they will use to print your shot, you don't need to worry about that.
I can see only one problem and that is, if they want to print at a larger size than what is available from your original (I assume it will be roughly the 12 x 8 inches, mentioned in my first reply). They can then either select to print with a lower ppi or try to upscale your original (I have no experience with this  Sad )

Hope this helps a bit?

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

JakTrax

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 am

Hi Silver,

I agree with more-or-less everything Walter says, however will the recipient not wish to edit the image him/herself ready for printing? If you supplied the original image they could tweak it exactly how they liked.

Having said that, I did a deal last week in which the client wanted me to get the images sized and printed, as apparently he didn't really have the time. I sharpened by about 30-40% of my normal A.net process and also boosted the saturation, as I find rich colour tends to get lost in the transition to print. Sometimes I find it's also beneficial to reduce contrast slightly, as again the transition to print can lead to harsh results.

Finally, if they need your image(s) print-ready, do make sure the subject is perfectly centred - what looks good in a thumbnail image can often look a lot different when sized up; i.e. any discrepancy can stand out a mile!

Karl

Silver1SWA
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Hey thanks guys. They picked a photo from my gallery here at airliners.net and the only request given is that I send a copy of the image at 300ppi or greater. The person handling the request doesn't have any more information as that is the only requirement given by the vendor so I'm not sure how much processing they will be willing to do or how much I'm supposed to do myself. I just went back to the original and tried leveling and composing exactly as the image appears in the database. When resizing, I unchecked the resampling box and entered 300ppi in the box. Is that all I need to do? Or should I just send them what I have after I crop instead of tweaking things in the image size window?

klemmi85

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 5):
Hey thanks guys. They picked a photo from my gallery here at airliners.net and the only request given is that I send a copy of the image at 300ppi or greater. The person handling the request doesn't have any more information as that is the only requirement given by the vendor so I'm not sure how much processing they will be willing to do or how much I'm supposed to do myself. I just went back to the original and tried leveling and composing exactly as the image appears in the database. When resizing, I unchecked the resampling box and entered 300ppi in the box. Is that all I need to do? Or should I just send them what I have after I crop instead of tweaking things in the image size window?

Think I can help as I'm working in the creative/media business.

1st.) Image dimensions
As you don't know the exact size of the outcome it doesn't make sense resizing the original image because it will never be to large. No matter if they downsize it or upsize the image, thats not within your control. What you can do is this:

Take your original image, trim it to the frame like it's uploaded to airliners.net and increase the ppi/dpi to 300. Do NOT check the resize box, that will ruin the image.

For dimension, that's all you need to do. If it is to small for their use, they will either print it with a lower ppi/dpi or resize the picture with some professional software like Fractals Pro or similar. It's way better for resizing than the integrated "feature" in photoshop.

2.) Print editing
They want at least 300ppi/dpi, so they want to print the picture, that's for sure. What's also sure at this point is that the picture will be converted from RGB colorspace to CMYK colorspace.

Now that's the thing YOU should control. I'll tell you why:
The average Desktop Publishing Individual is most certainly no photographer. So they actually don't care much about how the color is converted, as long as something comes out with CMYK colorspace. Because of being smaller than RGB colorspace, the CMYK conversion tends to "cut off" some color peaks. This can be seen best with a very bright and intense green and also with intense turqouise colors. They looked astonishing crispy in RGB and become very flat in CMYK.

Now the average DTP Individual doesn't care about that. So he hits the CMYK button in Photoshop, places the image into the documents, writes a printable PDF and sends it for printing. In the end, your image can look significantly different than on the screen. It could look colorfalse (not inverted or stuff like that) but colors can come out a in a way they should not be.

The solution:

I made a PDF with an instruction for you.

You can download it at: http://www.scribd.com/doc/16719848/A-Net-Tutorial

So, after all, you're better off, doing it yourself (the editing). Please make sure to save it as something like PSD, TIFF, EPS but not JPEG. CMYK and JPEG are no good friends sometimes. If you choose TIFF, then go for LZW or ZIP compression and do NOT include layers to decrease filesize.

If you have more questions, feel free to contact me. You remember the topic where we discussed on color profiles and stuff like that, don't you?  

Color Differences Between Photoshop And Firefox? (by SNATH Apr 21 2009 in Aviation Photography)?threadid=331825

regards,
Dennis

// EDIT //

I forgot to write, that you make all the "fine-tuning" in RGB mode and only switch between soft-proof and color-warning. Don't make the "real" conversion until you are satisfied with the tuned image otherwise you won't be able to fix anything as you already threw some colorinformation away.

[Edited 2009-06-23 12:22:21]
quit a.net 07/2016

Silver1SWA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Quoting Walter2222 (Reply 1):
Good luck (and keep us informed about the outcome)!

Quoting Walter2222 (Reply 3):
I can see only one problem and that is, if they want to print at a larger size than what is available from your original

Well, unfortunately because the photo they selected is a few years old when I was shooting with a small point and shoot camera, it turns out they were unable to use my photo. They said when trying to print at the required demensions, it prints at 190dpi and they require at least 300. What's interesting though is that they originally specified requirements in ppi, and now they talk about dpi. Is there a significant difference? I'm bummed it didn't work out. They said to feel free to submit other photos for consideration and I did but received no response.  Sad

I know a professional photographer who feels he can upsize the photo and maintain resolution...says he wants to give it a try. However I don't know how I feel about asking them if it's too late to give it another try. I assume they moved on and found a replacement. Oh well...

cpd

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:30 am

Don't be too concerned about it - other opportunities will come if they don't use your other images. There isn't a real lot to do about upscaling images. I doubt the quality will be superb, and personally I'd be concerned about offering anything less than the best.

It's probably best for you to be calm about it - if you are easy to deal with, you'll probably get return business. You tend to source work or materials from known reliable sources.

walter2222

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:16 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 7):
They said when trying to print at the required demensions, it prints at 190dpi and they require at least 300.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out!

Since you said that it was an older picture, there were apparantly not enough pixels to allow printing at 300dpi at the given size, so they tried to stretch it (resulting in only 190 dots per inch), which - for them - was not sufficient quality...

Quoting Cpd (Reply 8):
Don't be too concerned about it - other opportunities will come

checkmark 

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 7):
I assume they moved on and found a replacement. Oh well...

Happens a lot nowadays, there are so many sources...

Best regards,

Walter

cpd

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:40 am

Quoting Walter2222 (Reply 9):
Happens a lot nowadays, there are so many sources...

They probably had a number of images lined up from multiple places already.  Sad While it's good for them in meeting production deadlines - it's not so good if you miss out.  Sad

Calendars are usually a bit easier in that you have more flexibility to choose a different image if needed - unlike tightly structured book/brochure style publications where replacing an image can create all kinds of headaches if you've chosen one to fit in a particular section of a layout (much like when the stakeholder wants to add another paragraph - where do you put it).

I used to be in that design game (print and web) before I became a public servant - I think I knew about most of the tricks of the trade.

For Silver1SWA - the fact they are coming for your images is a good sign for you.  Smile