Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

clickhappy
Topic Author

Cell Phone Quality: Almost There?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:47 am

Took this shot this evening and uploaded it straight from my phone to Flickr. I was really surprised at how well it turned out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royalscottking/3658327971/

Has anyone ever gotten a cell phone shot in the database? I saw one once, but it was added by mistake and deleted.

Spiderguy252

RE: Cell Phone Quality: Almost There?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:58 am

Short Answer: No. A lot depends on luck with distance, lighting, etc. You were extremely lucky with that pic.

Trouble is that phones always come with compact built-in lenses that compromise a lot on quality. They mainly shoot pictures that look great only on the cellphone display.

5 years on, let's have this debate again. Maybe things would have changed then.  Smile
Vahroone

NZ107

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 am

Pretty good for a phone! You need to be right up by it though - lack of optical zoom is a pain and the quality doesn't come from those tiny as cameras. When they start putting bigger lenses/shutters in them, it might get a little better. The quality's not quite there in the dark either! And by the look of that pic you just added, the dof is pretty small.. Seems like from the nose to around about 1L and then drops off.

Quoting Spiderguy252 (Reply 1):
5 years on, let's have this debate again. Maybe things would have changed then.

I still don't think they'll be that great unless they start putting phones in cameras rather than the other way around. That mightn't be a bad marketing ploy! My friend's N95 has 5 mp and Carl-Zeiss optics.. Still a piece of crap lol

[Edited 2009-06-24 23:02:21]
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

viv

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:36 am

My new Nikon D700XS has 36m pixels and a built-in I-Phone. I also have the kit lens: The Nikkor 8-1200 mm f/0.8.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

timdegroot

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:21 am

Looks good small but the large one doesnt look very good (although pretty good for a phone). It will most likely be a few years before we get the first cell phone photos accepted here.

Dont think we have ever accepted a cell phone shot so far.
Alderman Exit

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:48 am

I have the Samsung Omnia, 5 mp and those images are horrible... My old Nikon Coolpix 2100 produced far better images than the phone does even though the phone is 4-5 years younger.
Thin phones and HQ lenses doesn't really work yet.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

Spiderguy252

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:48 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 2):
I still don't think they'll be that great unless they start putting phones in cameras rather than the other way around.

Then we might see the battle of the Ns. Nokia vs Nikon. A phone with a camera vs a camera with a phone.  half 
Vahroone

klemmi85

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:18 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 3):

lol  Smile Now thats some serious piece of gear  Smile
quit a.net 07/2016

aviopic

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:11 pm

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 4):
It will most likely be a few years before we get the first cell phone photos accepted here.

Probably but it is going to happen some time.
It's not that long ago we(well...... the older young people among us) were working with Sinclair spectrum, Ti-99-4/a, C-20/64 etc.
Now every modest cell phone has more computing power then the whole bunch together in fact more computing power the Apollo's traveling to the moon and back.
Also it is not so long ago that the majority of photographers were sure that a digital cam would never ever even come close to a analog cam, yeah.......... right.
Nowadays a 50.000 buck Hasselblad with P45 back can and will find a match in a 500 buck Canon G-10 under the right conditions.
An interesting article about this can be found here(a must read):
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml
If you were telling this to your friends 3 years ago they would have you locked up, still it is the reality.

It may be that these days mobile are missing a proper lens but I can see that change in the near future.
New plastics are invented almost daily and ever improving while glass will remain what it is, glass.
http://www.optics-online.com/doc/files/whitepap.pdf
Also new developments other then glass or plastic like fluid lenses will become available in the near future.
What to think about a magnetic fluid adaptive mirror, if made small enough to fit a mobile......... Viv might have his 8-1200/.8  Big grin
http://www.infim.ro/rrp/2006_58_3/art12Damianbun.pdf
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

dvincent

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:29 pm

The biggest problem is the size of these cell phone sensors. The pixel density renders miniscule photosites and makes anything without some kind of noise reduction impossible.
From the Mind of Minolta