Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

What About UFOs?

Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi all,

What is the stance here regarding images of unidentified flying objects? Might not be such a ridiculous avenue to explore as they are (supposedly) powered flying craft. They're certainly rare so I imagine standards would be far, far less strict. Thing is, how could one prove it's actually a flying craft and not, say, a bird, a star or a kite? A.net would seriously suffer if a prized UFO shot turned out to be a party balloon or similar! On the other hand, I bet a unique UFO shot would attract many thousands of hits!

What if their existence was in some way heavily-substantiated, or better still proven beyond reasonable doubt? What would the acceptance criteria be like?

Just food for thought.....

Karl

Flyingfox27

RE: What About UFOs?

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:12 pm

That would be interesting, one thought occured to me was that they might get rejected for not much info on the type of craft as its a Unidentified Flying Object LOL! Big grin

hotplane

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Well, as this seems to be anything but airliners.net lately you never know!

Jalap

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Hehe, the problem with ufo's is that you just can't make a photo good enough to exclude stuff like balloons or birds.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:58 pm

But would A.net benefit from or even enjoy the prospect of being first to run stories of little green men? I believe some day we're going to find out if other life-forms exist - I for one am a believer as I saw something very odd in Brazil once. Perhaps something more Earthly but it sure was strange!

Hypothetically if someone had a close encounter and it was generally believed to be genuine, would a close-up shot of a flying saucer make it here?

Karl

Psych

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:34 pm

I can't tell if you are serious here Karl with this thread?

Presumably if there was a photo of such quality that it would meet the standards here - i.e. not a distance rejection etc - then the site would be thrilled to be the first with a world-wide exclusive on a close up of an alien vessel. That would be a big hitter for sure.

I won't be holding my breath though. I always find it more than a little suspicious that photos/video footage are always 'of a certain quality'. My hunch is because, whilst I fully accept that there are such things as UFOs, it is simply because they are too far away/in too poor light etc to identify. That or a blatant hoax. Get close enough and all the uncertainty would vanish and we would be left with an all too boring explanation.

Paul

emmerson

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:44 pm

This thread made me chuckle.

In this day and age of photo editing software no alleged UFO photos can be taken seriously anymore. The queue would be spammed with 1000s of 'attempts', some good, some bad !

JakTrax
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 5):
I can't tell if you are serious here Karl with this thread?

Sort of Paul. Not overly optimistic about it happening any time soon - I'm just putting forward a possible future scenario. Might sound ridiculous but I think it would take a certain naivety to assume we're the only ones. Future generations could well be humoured by the fact that, once upon a time, we knew so little about our 'across the gulf of space' cousins!

Quoting Psych (Reply 5):
Get close enough and all the uncertainty would vanish and we would be left with an all too boring explanation

In most cases, however I remain quietly convinced that some sightings - even at distance - cannot be explained away. A good topic in my opinion as it involves flying machines of some description (which is what we're all about here). In reality I really don't consider it beyond the realms of possibility to someday see a genuine image of at least something from elsewhere; even if it's unmanned (if that's the right term?!).

I've been pretty fascinated by UFO reports for a long time now, particularly the Rendlesham Forest incident over Xmas 1980. It's odd how, while we try and trace their whereabouts, they seem particularly keen to study our own knowledge of flight

Karl!

zbot69

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Thread starter):
I bet a unique UFO shot would attract many thousands of hits!

Why all the trouble? If you want to attract viewers to the site, all you have to do is point any old photographic apparatus at a row of airplane seats, click snap flash and voila, 10,000 hits later you're on your way! You'd be surprised, but the constituency for that stuff is humongous. Good paying customers and upstanding citizens one and all. Now do that fifty times, and pretty soon you're Numero Uno on the most prestigious aviation site on the web. Take that Steve Morris! Ha!

Nice try with the UFOs though. I can't think of a faster way of being consigned to 2-photo submission hell than willfully submitting blurry grainy over/underexposed off-color jaggy-riddled flying miscellanea.

Give it a try and let me know how it went!

iamlucky13

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Good luck getting a photo of a UFO that comes anywhere near this site's quality standards, even allowing for the rare aircraft bonus.

Spiderguy252

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Well, in all of this we don't know what a UFO looks like. Big grin

whisperjet

Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:36 pm

UFOs are only acceptable to a.net if the crew and passengers can be seen on the picture.
Please note that the people rejection won't be applied in that case  Wink

Stefan

TransIsland

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:14 pm

Instant INFO rejection??