Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

Would This Count As A Bad Double?

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:27 am

Hi all,

If I shoot the same aircraft in the same position but from a slightly different angle in different light and on a subsequent day will this count as a bad double?

Cheers,

Karl

airkas1

RE: Would This Count As A Bad Double?

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:33 am

Karl, it can't be double if you shot them on different days.

-K

topgun3

Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 1):

You would think it wasn't a double if it was shot on different days....but I have received a Double rejection once for a plane I shot 1 month later...go figure.
I'd rather be flying.

airkas1

Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Quoting TopGun3 (Reply 2):
You would think it wasn't a double if it was shot on different days....but I have received a Double rejection once for a plane I shot 1 month later...go figure.

Confused . Possibly a mistake?
Last time I checked (which I admit is a looong time ago) that isn't ground for a double rejection.
Maybe a screener could give the final answer on this one.

dazbo5

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 1):

I think the photo needs to be different from the first one in order for double not to apply, even if taken on different days. For example you could take a photo on saturday and then take the same aircraft from the same spot the following saturday. If the photo is the same, then double may apply and correctly so in my opinion. If the photo is slightly different, as in Karls case with different light, then double shouldn't apply. That's my interpretation.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:15 pm

Fly747

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Karl, why would you upload both of them anyways? I would upload #2 (better light) and leave it at that. They are pretty much the same, however I don't think a 'double' rule would apply since it's shot on different days.

Ivan

dazbo5

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Quoting Fly747 (Reply 6):
why would you upload both of them anyways?

I have to agree wih Ivan, why upload both of them? they are essentially the same photo and I think in this case, double would (should) apply. There's not enough difference between the two photos in my opinion. You're better off just just uploading the second one which is in much better light.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:19 pm

I guess I just thought I'd leave the first (poorer) one in the queue rather than pulling it out. Besides I kinda like it.

Karl

Psych

Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Double definitely applies Karl - takes me back to my formative days at A.net, when I posted lots about this issue. I feel almost an expert as a result  wink . I know this rule well because it causes me to have to avoid uploading a number of shots from MAN I would love to have in my portfolio - but they look too much like shots I already have had accepted. A good reason to be patient and wait for a better opportunity (for uploading) on another day sometimes - easy advice to give, but not so easy to take!

In a nutshell, you can get a double if you have two photos of the same aircraft that look broadly the same (or very similar), even if they are taken on different days. This is something that has confused a lot of uploaders.

I quote from the published rejection reasons:

Quote:
In certain cases you can also get this rejection if there are photos in the database that are nearly identical to the one(s) rejected here, but taken on another date by you.

I can guarantee you Karl that if you had the first of those accepted then the second would be ditched for double - the light isn't enough of a factor in my opinion to support the argument that they are sufficiently different (nor is the only slightly different angle).

I would definitely go with the version you prefer.

Cheers.

Paul