Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jmrebes
Topic Author

Are The Pre-screenings A Good 'habit'?

Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:18 pm

After a few months trying to put some pictures in the DB with more rejections than expected I'm now in a permanent doubt about if I can upload or not every picture I take. In the other hand I can use, and I do, the pre-screenings in that forum, but I'm also in a doubt: are they well received or are they just a lesser evil?

Best regards,

Jose

viv

RE: Are The Pre-screenings A Good 'habit'?

Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 pm

I think they can be a useful learning tool. However, after a period, photographers should learn to rely on their own judgement.

MidEx216

Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:46 pm

While I appreciate everyone's help and advice (almost always coming from Dana, however), I find that they're rather...negative. I'll admit, I'm slightly stubborn, and I've uploaded shots that people have called multiple things wrong with. And those shots have gotten in.

So what I try to do is get some general idea, but once it gets to a certain point, I go for it on my own judgement.

JakTrax

Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:18 am

Quoting MidEx216 (Reply 2):
I've uploaded shots that people have called multiple things wrong with. And those shots have gotten in

Deliberate I think - others being over-critical hones our skills and also makes our chances of acceptance better. Would you rather have someone slate it and, to your surprise, it get in? Or someone tell you it's great and then have to face a rejection?

Problem I find with the pre-screens is the feedback can be so inconsistent. I know myself that I often browse some but not others (although I tend to leave alone those I don't think I could contribute much to).

I also think more screener input would be useful at times, however if all's been said and there's no more to add there's perhaps no need to re-iterate. I usually use my own instincts and only use such threads if I'm completely perplexed (which can be quite frequently!).

Cheers,

Karl

zbot69

Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:33 am

Quoting Jmrebes (Thread starter):

I agree with the sentiment, but I'd still recommend prescreening. Consider... you are asking feedback from people here who have altogether contributed thousands of images to Airliners. That's a lot of experience. Not considering their feedback is your loss. Their judgment counts for something. And what's to lose by soliciting opinions? I've found my own experience with prescreening an invaluable learning experience. I consider what I've learned from some of these guys more valuable than the one or two images I've added.

Give it a try, then decide.

cpd

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:24 am

Pre-screening is useful - provided it comes from experienced photographers.

I offer advice when I'm able to. As always, if I'm not sure, I won't respond - better to have no response rather than mislead someone.

Pre-screening to be most useful has to not just point out the flaws in the image, but it has to explain how to resolve the flaws. If there is a colour cast, explain how it would be fixed, etc.

And I try to do that, when I'm able to.

dlowwa

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:53 am

Quoting Jmrebes (Thread starter):
After a few months trying to put some pictures in the DB with more rejections than expected I'm now in a permanent doubt about if I can upload or not every picture I take.

Are you taking pictures only with the goal of uploading here? Maybe you should take the acceptance/rejections a little less seriously. I had a rejection today, and am I worried about it? Not in the least. So I need to tweak the leveling ever so slightly. No big deal, if I want it accepted, just make the change, and get it in. The pre/post screening threads should be a great tool for those who have more difficulty than others (especially new uploaders) getting acceptances. Don't be in "permanent doubt", this should be fun, or at least a learning experience!

Quoting MidEx216 (Reply 2):
I find that they're rather...negative.

True, but that's because people are probably more comfortable commenting on glaring problems than giving a pass to something that is -maybe- ok, which leads to...

Quoting Cpd (Reply 5):
I offer advice when I'm able to. As always, if I'm not sure, I won't respond - better to have no response rather than mislead someone.

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 3):
although I tend to leave alone those I don't think I could contribute much to

I'm the same way, and probably most are, and that's why there seems to not be as much interest in contributing to such posts, even though a good number of people probably take a look.

Quoting Viv (Reply 1):
I think they can be a useful learning tool. However, after a period, photographers should learn to rely on their own judgement.

Viv, you don't often have too much to say, but when you do, it's usually concise and spot on, as you are here.

Dana

Silver1SWA

Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:04 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 3):
Would you rather have someone slate it and, to your surprise, it get in? Or someone tell you it's great and then have to face a rejection?

I have experienced both sides of the coin with my few pre-screening threads. Sometimes the feedback in the pre-screening thread is very negative but a shot gets in and other times members, including on rare occasions screeners, say it's good to go and it then it gets rejected. There are so many variables and so many differing opinions, including within the screening team, that really it's better off to rely on your own judgement.

I have said it before, but I feel pre-screening threads are most useful when you want outside input on specific things. The more specific, the better. For example, hey this shot is giving me trouble with leveling, does it look ok? Or...does this crop work for this motiv? Or...I'm having trouble getting the color right, could I get some help? To me that is far better use of the pre-screening threads than just hey here is a dozon photos, how do they look?

jmrebes
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:56 am

Quoting Dlowwa (Reply 6):
Are you taking pictures only with the goal of uploading here? Maybe you should take the acceptance/rejections a little less seriously.

Not, Dana, I enjoy every moment when I'm spotting and I enjoy every moment when I'm editing these shots.

I'm a newbie here and also a new spotter. Because of that I have a lot of doubts. Uploading is not the goal, it is just a way to improve my knowledge! Rejections/acceptance are always welcome.

My original question don't talk about me but about the screeners: does they have enough time to check our pre-screenings and does they like to do that? Or it is just a lesser evil?

Cheers,

Jose

dl767captain

Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:00 pm

Dana has been one of my most helpful pre screeners and catches things i never even think of, i wouldn't say having them prescreened guarantees them getting accepted, it's more of a learning technique. I will admit i have been discouraged by this site at times about uploading (it's confusing to get a rejection because it is soft and over sharpened at the same time haha) but uploading here is just a bonus, i don't really care if the screeners like my pictures or not i just have fun doing it.