Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Lexy
Topic Author

NBC "Today Show" (Aviation Spotting)

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:46 pm

This week, NBC's "Today Show" is running a series of segments they are labeling "Today Gets Odd", or something like that. One episode, the first one actually, had Matt Lauer and Meredith out on the beach with metal detectors looking for left behind "treasures". The next will have one of the "Today Show" talents take part in these "odd" hobbies. Well guess what, Aviation Photography is one of the "Odd Hobbies". Al Roker and Ann Curry both go "Aircraft Spotting"! They are shown in the promos with binoculars, DSLR cameras, and appear to be in New York City somewhere. The segment will air during the show in the morning and it should be either Tuesday or Wednesday when it airs I believe. I just wanted to give those that keep up with the Today Show or any of the morning network shows a heads up! I'll be watching!!!! Happy Holidays and be safe everyone!!

Today Show Website:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/

lgw340

RE: NBC "Today Show" (Aviation Spotting)

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:12 pm

I don't see what is odd about aviation photography. How is it any more strange than birdwatching, trainspotting etc???  confused 

soon7x7

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:04 pm

With all thats going wrong in the world...this is a newsworthy concern?...Al Roker?...he used to be too big for his britches, but he now makes big dollars for watching clouds and falling water and usually is wrong about the weather forecast...I find that odd...j  fluffy 

mjlewis

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Wonder if they'll mention anything about getting in trouble/challenged by "authorities" haha

Lexy
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Fellas, they are showcasing it in a positive light. And the term "Odd" is just that, a term. I wouldn't read too much into it honestly. It should be fun to see the hobby showcased on a major US TV Network show. Can we not see some of the positives that could come from this?

italman1285

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 pm

I think it will be a cool/interesting segment.

Moose135

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:32 am

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 2):
With all thats going wrong in the world...this is a newsworthy concern?

The Today Show is about more than just hard-hitting news segments. They often have these features. I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of certain NY area spotters in the piece (unfortunately I wasn't able to make it the day Al Roker was out, but was there when the segment producer did the preliminary shooting.) It was scheduled to air Monday, but the latest word we got was it will be on Wednesday morning's show.

You can read a little more about it here:
http://www.nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17670

[Edited 2009-12-14 16:33:25 by moose135]

cpd

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:42 am

Someone report some stra

Quoting Mjlewis (Reply 3):
getting in trouble/challenged by "authorities" haha

Give them a 200-400mm Zoom-Nikkor lens. That should do the trick.  Wink

"Put the weapon down slowly and don't move or you'll be fired upon!"

It's funny how the media considers aviation photography odd, but turns around and expects to grab our images when something newsworthy happens.

Lexy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:28 am

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 6):

The Today Show is about more than just hard-hitting news segments. They often have these features. I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of certain NY area spotters in the piece (unfortunately I wasn't able to make it the day Al Roker was out, but was there when the segment producer did the preliminary shooting.) It was scheduled to air Monday, but the latest word we got was it will be on Wednesday morning's show.

That's it and I can't wait to see it! I think it's great! I am a "Today Show" fan 100%, but they are hardly ever serious on that show anymore. Half the show is spent picking on eachother so I am sure this will be an awesome segment!!!

Stealthz

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:44 pm

Quoting Lexy (Reply 8):
I can't wait to see it!

I hope it ends up online so more of us get the chance to see it.

A couple of years ago an Australian recreational show(The Great Outdoors) did a similar segment based around photographers at SYD. Done in a slightly tongue in cheek style, not sure if that was due to the presenter or the "cast", it nonetheless turned out quite well.

Cheers

EMA747

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 9):
A couple of years ago an Australian recreational show(The Great Outdoors) did a similar segment based around photographers at SYD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qUCK3qDDME

NIKV69

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:01 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 9):
I hope it ends up online so more of us get the chance to see it

Phil be putting online for sure. They were interviewed by an indepandant flimmaker couple of years ago as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVBqC9fnvc

mirage

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:37 pm

It's odd, I do it, enjoy it, it's my hobby for more than 20 years but I still think it's odd. No problem with that, the world is full of odd things.

Luis

PeterSpence

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:56 pm

I was very pleased as well to see that the Today show is covering plane spotting as I've been a fan of the show since 5th grade, waking up every day to watch it! I can't wait to see how they portray plane spotting, should be quite interesting.

And as Mirage said, yes it is odd if you think about it. There is probably no other group of people that would fly to another city simply to stay at the local airport for a few days then just go back home. On Imperial Hill a few weeks back, a few other spotters and myself had a great time making fun of ourselves and how weird we are for being entertained so easily. Nothing to be ashamed of, it's completely awesome ... one should be able to laugh at themselves though and not always be so serious in defending spotting.

Good day.

Lexy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:19 pm

I take pictures of airplane, city's, city skyline's, power plants, large industrial places, and other stuff. I get funny looks all the time!! Especially when it's a power plant I am taking a picture of. Tell me, how many people do you know that finds those things fascinating enough to photograph them? I only know a couple and the only reason I am is because I have worked in one of the world's largest back home and back home, they were literally everywhere due to the coal mines.

dvincent

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:17 pm

It's not as odd as the road sign guys, of which I am a recovering member of that club. Airplanes are far more legitimate.  Smile

EMA747

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Quoting Lexy (Reply 14):
Especially when it's a power plant I am taking a picture of. Tell me, how many people do you know that finds those things fascinating enough to photograph them?

Those things are so interesting. I went round one here in the UK when I was at school, best school trip we did by FAR.

Andy S

Lexy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:08 am

Quoting EMA747 (Reply 16):

Those things are so interesting. I went round one here in the UK when I was at school, best school trip we did by FAR.

Funny you say this because I'm certainly not the only one who take photos of them. I grew up around a bunch in Kentucky (the state I grew up in) due to the coal mines all around us. They were everywhere. Then I got a chance to work inside one, a very large one at that, and that did it for me. I think one that has a passing interest in power plants has to go inside one and see what it's like in there. Then after you've got an idea of how they work and just how massive EVERYTHING is inside one, you gain a huge amount interest and respect for them.

JohnJ

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:19 am

Here's an odd one for you: I'm a huge steel mill fan and will go many miles out of my way to see and photograph one of the few remaining in the United States. It's probably the heaviest and dirtiest industry in existence (like a power plant on super-steroids) and they're utterly fascinating. I have a model steel mill in my basement that, when finished, will take up about 10 feet by 6 feet of space.

Is the show still scheduled for Wednesday? I'm out of town now but phoned my wife to record it.

iamlucky13

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:26 am

Quoting LGW340 (Reply 1):
I don't see what is odd about aviation photography. How is it any more strange than birdwatching, trainspotting etc??? confused

So you thought trainspotting and birdwatching were normal? Oh my.

You have to admit to it. We perfectly fit the definition of the word "odd." Aviation spotting is a hobby for a small minority of people. Normal people barely even notice low-flying aircraft going overhead, whereas many of us can identify them from 10,000+ feet below.

Normal people think about football, sports or fashion magazines, Paris Hilton, and iPhones. We think about whether to use a vacation day to watch an airplane takeoff that they can't even discern from a completely different model parked right next to it.

On the one hand, they don't know what they're missing. On the other hand, we're obsessive and part of the fun comes from knowing about things other people don't even know exist.

So don't be offended at the "odd" label. It's true, and it's not a bad thing.

soon7x7

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 am

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 6):

Howdy...didn't get to see it...I hope they did not spin it into some wierd science...I'm always amused by the response of the public regarding aerospace photography for example...officers that approach me and ask ,"why would you take photos of aircraft?"...and as you know me J, I respond with..."why would you voluntarily take a job where you could be shot"...Hope they presented the hobby approprietely...j

Quoting Iamlucky13 (Reply 19):

I don't think photographing airliners to be odd at all...probably one of the most photodocumented objects in the world next to naked women and tourist traps. Just look at the enthusiasm at Maho beach...everyone with a camera and even without a camera stands at attention to watch a 650,000lb megolith spit sand in their face and climb away....kind of like the boy on Empire of the Sun that freaked out when he felt the heat from the P-51 Mustangs...Aviation becomes a parasite in your blood, once it's there it is there for good...j

paulinbna

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:39 am

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 20):
Just look at the enthusiasm at Maho beach...everyone with a camera and even without a camera stands at attention to watch a 650,000lb megolith spit sand in their face and climb away...

And also don't forget the millions and millions of people that attend airshows every year around the world.

cvervais

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:32 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 18):
Is the show still scheduled for Wednesday?

According to what they said on the show this morning (Tuesday) it will air Thursday morning.

Silver1SWA

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:44 am

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 22):
Is the show still scheduled for Wednesday?

According to what they said on the show this morning (Tuesday) it will air Thursday morning.

I hope the segment doesn't get pushed back until there is no more days of the week left to air it.

soon7x7

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 21):

Correct,...  checkmark 

EMA747

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:20 am

Quoting Cvervais (Reply 22):

Can someone post a like when/if it's online.

Andy S

Moose135

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:38 am

The latest we've heard is that is on the schedule for Thursday morning, approximately 8:15 (or just after) EST. From what I've seen of the Today show site (posted above) it should be online later in the day. I expect we will also have a copy and/or link posted on NYCAviation.com.

Moose135

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Well, that sucked! Al Roker compared plane spotting to watching paint dry, and they couldn't even put the right names on the people in the group. Very disappointing  no 

dvincent

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Sounds like we need to start writing some letters.

mjlewis

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Wooow! They were NOT enthused one bit. Oh well. I wish they had mentioned something about the drive to get "THOSE SHOTS" worthy of getting accepted on A.net haha That's what keeps me going!

NIKV69

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 27):
Well, that sucked! Al Roker compared plane spotting to watching paint dry, and they couldn't even put the right names on the people in the group. Very disappointing

He should keep his job as weatherman because he sucks at stand up. I have to say that the premise from the start was bad. The segment overview was something along the lines of things that are odd. Roker seemed to have a condescending attutude about it and it really didn't enlighten as to the hobby or aviation or photography. Leave it to NBC they totally suck at what they have been doing and it shows in the ratings.

Silver1SWA

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Well...Roker is a douche. But I did think it was funny.

GST

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:29 pm

For those of us that didn't / couldn't watch the show:
http://nycaviation.com/2009/12/17/nycaviation-on-the-today-show/

bigphilnyc

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the plug, guys.

As I have said in other threads and emails, Al Roker's behavior is really no sweat off of our backs. Traffic and emails we've received since the segment have been very positive and filled with people confused as to why Al took to it the way he did. Ann found it genuinely interesting but the opportunity to expand on it simply was not there. We spent two days filming and there was so much useful footage that didn't make the cut.

Next time hopefully. It's not our first public appearance, and won't be our last.  Smile

In the end, more people will join and are joining us in our passion for aviation, and we come out on top.

chrisair

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:32 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 30):
He should keep his job as weatherman because he sucks at stand up.

Actually, he's a terrible weatherman too. Which, is just my opinion. Have to get that out there in case he's a litigious type.

I will say, it was funny. To the general public, it IS quite odd.

EMA747

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Quoting GST (Reply 32):
For those of us that didn't / couldn't watch the show:
http://nycaviation.com/2009/12/17/ny...show/

Thanks for the link GST.

I felt it got spotting and photography too mixed up. I personally am not too into all that one make, one airline stuff. I mean if it looks like a good shot press the shutter no matter what it is. The spotters on the other hand might be interested in that. No offence to spotters but that tends to get a bit more odd when certain factors are introduced.

At the end of the day though, who gives a monkeys if other people don't get our hobby. If you get home at the end of a day spotting/photographing and can say you've had a good day out then that's a result for me.

Andy S

cpd

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:10 pm

He should keep his job as weatherman because he sucks at stand up. I have to say that the premise from the start was bad. The segment overview was something along the lines of things that are odd. Roker seemed to have a condescending attutude about it and it really didn't enlighten as to the hobby or aviation or photography. Leave it to NBC they totally suck at what they have been doing and it shows in the ratings.

Quoting Mjlewis (Reply 29):
Wooow! They were NOT enthused one bit. Oh well. I wish they had mentioned something about the drive to get "THOSE SHOTS" worthy of getting accepted on A.net haha That's what keeps me going!

This is why I never talk to the general media. They can be badly informed and rude. So I just tend to give them very simple easy to interpret answers. Keep it short and sweet, then they can't twist your words about. Call it the Mika Hakkinen style of interview answers.  Wink

I'll talk to the aviation media, but the general media - forget it.

[Edited 2009-12-17 14:11:57 by cpd]

sluger020889

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:38 am

Roker is a freaking joke, that whole segment was terrible. No mention of photography what so ever, I was embarrassed watching it.

On a more positive note I gotta hand it to the NYC Aviation group, their promotion of aviation photography over the years has been fantastic. Thank you NYC Aviation!

Joey

JohnJ

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:54 am

It was great seeing some familiar faces on the Today Show, and Phil did a great interview that explained our hobby as well as I think it can be explained.

Why the lack of traffic? It looked like the segment was shot at Bayswater in the late morning timeframe with the 22s in use. Were Roker and Ann just pushing that angle or was there really a dearth of traffic? Perhaps Woodmere might have had more traffic that time of day.

I personally saw Roker on television pointing a large lens (not his, I'm reasonably sure) and binoculars at civilian aviation traffic. Perhaps someone should have dropped a dime on him and let him experience the true fun of our little hobby. When the cops show up, it's FAR more interesting than watching paint dry, though not necessarily in a good way.

bigphilnyc

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:34 am

I made a few replies already in here but haven't said thanks to you guys, I'm sorry. I appreciate a lot of your kind words. Myself and other guys on my team make full-time jobs out of doing what we can to promote the hobby for you guys. I'd trade the tens of thosuands of hits in traffic from publicity for your kind words any day.

Al was using my 100-400mm lens, and Ann had another shooter's lens. then they switched to binocs to identify planes.

The planes were far away becuase of a runway change to 31R arrivals, which are far from Bayswater. Because of arrangements that had been made, the NBC folks were unwilling to change location. In that regard I can't blame them for finding it boring.

We also had done two days of filming, the first one without the anchors, just producer and film crew. So when day two arrived and the runways changed, there would be a continuity issue if we were filming at a different location. Also, keeping the anchors away from large, public crowd also posed a threat at other spotting locations we employ.

soon7x7

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:50 am

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 27):

Well,...they turned it into a wierd science segment as I thought they would...bet Al doesn't know what an occluded front is...In his boredom he could have painted that concrete wall at Bayswater Park as the color of paint he portraide would have laid down nice on the wall. Only a team from the learning channel could give the hobby a fair shake...major networks use this stuff as fluff...just a way to end their show with a chuckle...But mark my word..next time an incident occurs at JFK that represents breaking news...NYC will be the first group they will contact for a Free shot...j

Moose135

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:00 am

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 40):
Well,...they turned it into a wierd science segment as I thought they would...

The sad part is that when the producer came out with us the first day, she really seemed to get into it, she asked us all intelligent questions about how we got involved in the hobby, what we like about it, etc. She spent about 15 minutes interviewing Phil. None of that was used, so that they could spend more time showing Al being cranky, rude, and condescending.

bet Al doesn't know what an occluded front is

Here's an old bit about weathermen (including Roker) by Lewis Black, that I've always loved...

http://comedians.jokes.com/lewis-bla...k/videos/lewis-black---the-weather

But mark my word..next time an incident occurs at JFK that represents breaking news...NYC will be the first group they will contact for a Free shot

Ain't that the truth! And you know what my answer will be...

KingFriday013

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:45 am

I posted this in the other thread about this topic that got lost: Al is purely a reporter. He's not a meteorologist, he just reports the weather. I used to like him a lot, but I now lost quite a bit of respect for him. So what if a lot of people are bored? Try to be a good sport!

-J.

P.S. If you want to see what was in the other thread, it's here: Plane Spotting Featured On "Today" (by AA777223 Dec 17 2009 in Civil Aviation) but it's locked.

brons2

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:47 am

Hey Al, you'll never be Jim Cantore, now that dude is a Weatherman with a capital W. He's not afraid to go stand in the middle of a hurricane.

Plainplane

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:59 am

From my perspective it seems mostly as if they just show spotting as if it was a walk-in-the park pointless and meritless waste of time performed by lifeless weirdoes! What an insult it is to us, that clip needs to be deleted and seriously reworked from the top down. The only good parts were the remarks from our fellow photographers in NY who unfortunately had to suffer the embarrassment of the biased portrayal against them and for goodness sakes you think at least they would get their names right!   

One thing that worries me from how I perceived the clip is that the way this story portrays the hobby might possibly make people more aware about us but in a suspicious and negative way, which could result in more responses of authority against aviation photographers and potentially impacting our spotting opportunities. I hope it doesn't come to that though and that my worry is unjustified.  

Hopefully another news company would consider making a story giving us aviation photographers the credit we deserve.

[Edited 2009-12-17 22:05:09]

JohnJ

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:06 am

Quoting Bigphilnyc (Reply 39):
The planes were far away becuase of a runway change to 31R arrivals, which are far from Bayswater. Because of arrangements that had been made, the NBC folks were unwilling to change location. In that regard I can't blame them for finding it boring.

Pretty much the whole premise of their story was how boring spotting is - and they were standing beside an inactive runway? Sheesh. I don't care how jaded someone is, or how uninterested in aviation they are - just about anyone would be impressed by a 747 or A380 skimming low overhead.

Silver1SWA

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:38 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 45):
I don't care how jaded someone is, or how uninterested in aviation they are - just about anyone would be impressed by a 747 or A380 skimming low overhead.

It's too bad they weren't in LA. Perhaps they would have enjoyed themselves a little more if their heads were getting buzzed by 747s while eating some In n Out.

I took my brother there recently. He always gives me crap about aviation photography and how uninteresting he thinks it is. Even he was impressed by the site of the low flying aircraft...

[Edited 2009-12-17 22:39:58]

laca773

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:55 am

Quoting BigPhilNYC (Reply 33):
As I have said in other threads and emails, Al Roker's behavior is really no sweat off of our backs. Traffic and emails we've received since the segment have been very positive and filled with people confused as to why Al took to it the way he did. Ann found it genuinely interesting but the opportunity to expand on it simply was not there. We spent two days filming and there was so much useful footage that didn't make the cut.

Next time hopefully. It's not our first public appearance, and won't be our last.

In the end, more people will join and are joining us in our passion for aviation, and we come out on top.

Al Roker really thinks he's funny and that alone is a very sad shame. I don't think he realizes what an idiot he is and how rude he comes off the majority of the time.

On the other hand, Ann is a lovely and sincere journalist. If they had sent her on this alone, I think the spin on it would have been more in a positive light.

Someone should send them a link to this and the other thread so they can read what people really think about the piece they did.

soon7x7

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:10 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 41):

Mr Rokers employees have placed him in a key position recently and has had him on the road following up on unusual assignments, so his newfound "wanna be "A List" celebrity status has gone to his head...I'm sure he is a nice guy and all that but for now he's the media clown enjoying a handsome salary for it...

Drew Scott at News 12 would have done a nice job...Drew is the Transportation Guru at Channel 12 and is an aviation buff. They also do have their own flight dept. Their weatherman, (forgot his name) is a pilot, owns his own plane and really loves the business. And he knows what an occluded front is!...j

Hey...any press is good press especially if it is on major media...Good for NYC group...Cheers to you...

champagne 

Stackhouse007

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:13 pm

It may have been a bad piece but at the end of the day we aren't going to stop doing what we love.. We love aviation and every aspect about it. After seeing that, I wanted to go get more shots. This is what we do, and we love it. Who cares what Al says. Im sure they have weird things they do but dont let anybody know..

Kyle