Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

Photo Hits Up? Or Is It Just Me?

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:43 am

Hi all,

Looking through my latest uploads I've noticed that all my recent shots (accpeted since early December) seem to be accumulating many more hits than equivalents did in the months prior to this. I remember the discussion about the quick clearing of the Q perhaps having a bearing on how many views a photo gets (more uploads in a given period = more to look at = lower average views per image) and I have noticed a slower and larger Q lately, no doubt due to the Xmas period. But is this the reason views lately seem to be through the roof?

Anyone else noticing they are getting record views lately or have I just been lucky and selected hit-generating pictures? I have had some images accepted which I suspected would be pretty high hitters but even much of the mundane stuff is impressing me!

Only other reason I can think of is that my recent batch has been taken with a snowy backdrop. Do people like snowy pictures?  Confused

Karl

sluger020889

RE: Photo Hits Up? Or Is It Just Me?

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:50 am

All my views are down, way down. I think you're just lucky, or maybe I'm boring.

But who does it for the hits, right?

Joey

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:39 am

No-one's more boring than me Joey! A few creatives here and the rest are just side-ons!

I knew it wasn't down to any improvement in my photography skills - just lucky I guess with a bunch of recent pictures people want to look at!

Quoting Sluger020889 (Reply 1):
But who does it for the hits, right?

Right. I shan't complain though about my generically boring pictures getting attention. Side-ons aren't often big-hitters but they are what I like best. If I did it for the hits I'd have shot 800 pic's of that A380 cabin I was in in November.....  Wink

Karl

cpd

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:40 am

I think they are stll down, but the stream of views is fairly steady:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jakub Taussik

In previous times, that might have gotten over 50,000 hits. But now it is struggling to top 6000 (it might get to 7000 before the 24 hours is up). I'm deliberately excluding 5 engined Boeing 747s and first flights of a certain American airliner from my thoughts on this, as they are unusual cases.

Sarmad Al-Khozaie's B777 wide-angle photo of the SQ B777 engine in flight is quite high hitting, but it has had some days to achieve that.

I've only uploaded 1 image in the last 2 months, and it was something unusual, so I can't make my own observations. Though I've got a few more sitting in the queue. I'll see what happens with those.

[Edited 2009-12-29 18:53:24 by cpd]

ptrjong

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:17 pm

I think hits are quite slow at the moment.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter De Jong

Just 159 hits in over two days, even though the subject is fairly rare.

Peter Smile

scbriml

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:36 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 4):
I think hits are quite slow at the moment.

I agree. A number I've uploaded recently are struggling to get over 100 hits (and we're not talking BA A319s at Heathrow), we're talking planes that have probably not been seen outside Russia.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley

dazbo5

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:11 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Thread starter):
Or Is It Just Me?

It's just you I think! All my hits are way down on 12 months ago. What you need to factor in Karl, some of your latest shots were taken in excellent light with snow on the ground and including things like an MD11 that is pretty rare for MAN as you know. A combination of good light and scenic atmosphere is always going to give more hits than the same shot in the hight of summer or without the snow. I've got a couple of photos in the queue of some brand new helicopters about to embark on a new carear at Blackpool. I'll be lucky, providing they make it in to the database if they make 100 each (not that i'm bothered!).

Darren

SNATH

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Thread starter):

It's definitely you.  Smile

I've noticed that for the past 6-8 months or so, hits have gone south big time. The last batch I got accepted are different to what I normally upload, so I can't really judge those. However, looking at a more familiar subject: my window shots would normally get 900-1,000 hits on the first day. The last two I got accepted a few months ago are still hovering around 650 (they got twice that number on jp, without making it to the front page, and that never EVER happens).

Also, over the last few weeks a couple of my latest acceptances made it to the first page of top last 24hr with about 350-400 hits. Again, this would never happen a few months ago. A host would need at least 800-900, sometimes 1,000+, hits to do that.

Of course, I shouldn't complain too much. I got a few shots on the front pages over the past week or two and those got a good number of hits, which was nice. But, overall, hits are down. Big time.

Tony

RonS

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:22 pm

Quoting SNATH (Reply 7):
Of course, I shouldn't complain too much. I got a few shots on the front pages over the past week or two and those got a good number of hits, which was nice.

Always good to see your shots on the front page Tony!

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:40 pm

For some reason my images on 'the other site' only ever get half the views they do here (except the very odd few).

I had a sneaky suspicion the snow might help boost my views, and although I'm not too bothered and certainly didn't expect it, it's not to be sniffed at!

By the way, last two I uploaded have reverted back to cr*p view figures!

Cheers,

Karl

SNATH

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Quoting RonS (Reply 8):
Always good to see your shots on the front page Tony!

Likewise!!!

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 9):
For some reason my images on 'the other site' only ever get half the views they do here (except the very odd few).

Half or less, normally.

Tony

NIKV69

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 9):
For some reason my images on 'the other site' only ever get half the views they do here

That is because only half the people visit there.  biggrin 

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 5):
I agree. A number I've uploaded recently are struggling to get over 100 hits (and we're not talking BA A319s at Heathrow), we're talking planes that have probably not been seen outside Russia.

Views are definately down but many airports and aircraft are simply getting overshot IMO.

mirage

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:57 pm

Since about two monthes ago, I noticed hits going extremely down. Before, easily any photo would pass 100 views in some hours, now I get 100 views in the same kind of photos in a week. Not that I care but it seems to be some technical issue.

Luis

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Yes Luis, before my recent 'lucky streak' my views were down considerably. In fact, more than considerably.

I was kinda hoping things had improved generally so although I'm happy about my pic's currently getting quite a few hits I'd much rather the site get a hit boost as a whole.

Looks like I've found me a double-edged sword.....

Karl

Silver1SWA

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 11):
Views are definately down but many airports and aircraft are simply getting overshot IMO.

Unfortuntately I think this is true. Take the LAS shots with the hotel backdrop, or the sunset shots at LAX. Once big hitters usually finding their way to the front page, now they only fetch a couple hundred views after days, weeks or even a month.

(YIKES! Just had an earthquake while I was posting this...)

clickhappy

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:20 pm

There are just more competitors to anet these days. Flickr, Picasa, a few knock-off aviation websites, and the like. Even flight tracker and airport data websites are taking photo uploads these days. All of these sites have fragmented the hobby, and thus the views. We are also adding more photos per day, which results in a lower view count as fresh content pushes the older stuff down.

Another issue is saturation of subject - as an example a sunset LAX shot or an In and Out shot was something different - now it has been done to death.

But the overall site traffic has been up, the data is there if you care to search it out, and if you take something newsworthy, like the 787 first flight, anet crushes the competition.

ThierryD

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:41 pm

I hope views are generally down right now, otherwise I'm doing something wrong, as these 2 shots (which do not really fall under common) struggle to get even 500 views:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Planecatcher
View Large View Medium

Photo © Planecatcher

Views however have already been lower in the past, so not all hope is lost that they'll eventually increase again.
And as Royal pointed out, people still ARE visiting the site which could easily be seen by some recent (very) high hitters.

Thierry

RonS

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 16):
as these 2 shots (which do not really fall under common) struggle to get even 500 views:

I think this is a good reason why Anet needs a dropdown menu in the Photo Search Engine for photographer. I can't keep track of all the people's photo's I would like to look at. People (me) don't have the time to search through all the photos that were accepted for this day to find these two gems, there is just so much there. You being one of my fav's, I wish I could simply used a drop down tab to your name, check on your photos from time to time. An alternative would be making Favorites on my web browser for your name, but I use many computers (and web devices) and rather not have my favorites with tons of Anet pages.

ThierryD

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Quoting RonS (Reply 17):
You being one of my fav's, I wish I could simply used a drop down tab to your name,

Thanks for the nice words Ron!  Smile

But you may simply type the photographer's name in the search bar on the homepage and you get all his/her photos listed by "Latest first".

Thierry

johnr

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:32 pm

Why not have the Top 10 photos on the Homepage? Hits on the Top 5 vs #6 and lower is so dramatically different that it leads me to believe that many people have a look at the Homepage only then move on.

RonS

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 18):
But you may simply type the photographer's name in the search bar on the homepage and you get all his/her photos listed by "Latest first".

Being an uncultured American, I can hardly spell any of my favorites names! For example I know Konstantin starts with a K, that's about as much as I can do  Wink

McG1967

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:43 pm

I have been uploading a few night shots taken on the ramp in Indonesia, which have barely climbed above 500 hits. Today I had a shot of an Emirates A380 accepted which is at around 750 hits in under 24hrs.

So my advise if you want plenty of hits is to go shoot the A380 or the B787  Wink.

Chukcha

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:20 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 16):
There are just more competitors to anet these days. Flickr, Picasa, a few knock-off aviation websites, and the like... All of these sites have fragmented the hobby, and thus the views.

I see your point, Thierry, it make sense but... I will ask three questions here.

1. Why the hits plunged almost overnight some time around mid-year and stayed low ever since? It wasn't really a gradual process - it happened within a couple of weeks, maybe quicker.

2. Why didn't the competitor site get affected similarly? Over the same period of time their number of hits not only didn't drop, but actually grew.

3. Why, for all this, Alexa site shows that Airliners.net is visited about ten times more than JP.net?

http://chukcha63.users.photofile.ru/photo/chukcha63/1205058/87807270.jpg

With all this in mind, the situations stops making sense to me altogether. Either the competitors site gets fake views (which is unlikely) or Airliners.net loses its hits somewhere along the way (which seems more plausible).

Andrei

waketurbulence

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:38 am

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 22):
With all this in mind, the situations stops making sense to me altogether. Either the competitors site gets fake views (which is unlikely) or Airliners.net loses its hits somewhere along the way (which seems more plausible).

Did you ever think Anet was inflating views in the past and now the problem has been corrected. A large number of photographers, myself included, have stopped uploading or reduced uploading because of this perceived lack of exposure. The funny thing is though, I have had my highest number of sales and inquires through Anet this year compared to any other year.

I think the change in hits is a more permanent thing now and we will have to get used to it.
-Matt

Chukcha

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:25 am

Quoting WakeTurbulence (Reply 23):
Did you ever think Anet was inflating views in the past and now the problem has been corrected.

Yes I did. As far as I remember, the problem had been corrected at least once before, maybe a year and a half ago, and it was announced on this forum. I did some testing back than and found the hits to be spot on.

If they did it again, why didn't they announce it?

JakTrax
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:54 am

Well I'm glad this thread has turned into a healthy debate. I for one don't really care about the hits and shall continue uploading as it makes me feel good about the hobby and gives me something to do in my spare time. It's a constant strive to better one's photography.

It's certainly a distant second though to sitting out at the runway ends and always will be - that's the real thrill of the chase and definitely why I do it. The next best part is downloading your images and seeing them full-size for the first time on your monitor. Now that's mighty satisfying!

Of course the third best bit is sitting in the pub after a hard day's grafting, discussing your catches and aviation in general with like minded beer drinkers!!!!

Karl

NIKV69

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:06 am

Quoting McG1967 (Reply 21):
So my advise if you want plenty of hits is to go shoot the A380 or the B787

Or hire a heli and shoot overviews of boneyards.

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 22):

Andrei

Don't forget the fact that anet has a much more popular message board that JP doesn't. Many here use the forums and never even go near the DB.

zbot69

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:38 am

This whole debate is very interesting, but when site traffic is discussed, photographers seem to have a singular obsession with photography, which is only natural. But in fact a _tremendous_ amount of A.net traffic these days is generated by the Civil Aviation forum.

One thing I just couldn't for the life of me understand for some time is how some well-regarded photographers on A.net have such low respect ratings in their user profiles, while others' profiles are fattened to the gils. Then reading through Civil Aviation forum threads I found that swapping respect ratings among contributors in their forum is apparently widely practiced, because most everyone who posts in the Civil Aviation threads seems to be some sort of widely loved and highly regarded Santa-type. There are photographers on A.net who hardly contribute to forum debates at all, and so their low respect ratings seem more correlated to contributions in the forums rather than photographic merit, although I would rather dole out respect to another photographer rather then someone who can flap his gums amenably.

Also, look at the hits on the Civil Aviation threads. It's not uncommon to see threads with well over 10,000 views within days. Even a very highly read thread on this forum with wide participation cannot generate more than a few thousand views, if that.

The question then is if it is the A.net forums that are actually driving visitors to the site at this point, or the photographs. I know that some of the other sites mentioned have very mediocre forums at best, and while their--let's call it photography slush pile--certainly contains a high percentage of photos that would be relegated to MyAviation.net here, some of their top photos do easily garner as many hits as photos on A.net. And in the end, it's the top end photos that drive the photography hits.

And lastly, I imagine there's a leak effect from A.net photographers contributing their photos to those other sites, so the bleeding of talent and its material is just an inevitable result. If you consider the viewers go where the photos are, and the photos aren't exclusively hosted on A.net anymore, than it also follows that the viewers are following the photos to the other sites.

That's it for the year. Wishing photographers everywhere lots of excellent light.

[Edited 2009-12-31 01:51:06 by zbot69]

Psych

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:57 am

Hi Martin - and everyone.

Quoting Zbot69 (Reply 27):
But in fact a tremendous amount of A.net traffic these days is generated by the Civil Aviation forum.

This is definitely the case. I had a photo suddenly start getting loads of views, a couple of weeks after it had been uploaded. I genuinely thought that there must be a bug. It transpired someone had used my photo to illustrate a discussion point in their thread on that forum. The viewing numbers increased from a couple of hundred to over 5,000! I watched the hits increasing just like a photo would in the top few of the day. It was weird to see.

Karl - surely your recent healthier numbers were due to the snow and the subjects. You need something different to earn more than a couple of hundred hits these days for MAN.

So no doubt in my mind, if it is hits you are after then your photo needs to be newsworthy/in the top 5 or featured in a big discussion on 'Civil Aviation'. Or also linked to another healthy discussion forum elsewhere. Internal links to A.net threads don't show up in the 'Photographer's Corner' section - hence my confusion for that photo, because I could not see any links being made to it at the time.

I have wondered whether there is a difference in viewing behaviour for us photographers (or simply less of us active here these days) - i.e. less general browsing by us guys, very possibly for the reasons described above re saturation. I know I look through a lot less photos than I used to at my local. I reckon most of my photos are viewed by fellow photographers - and we are the small minority on this site these days.

Also there is no doubt at all that there was a period in the old days when the counters registered more views than occured - many photographers witnessed this phenomenon. This no longer happens.

It is the new world chaps!

Wishing everyone a very happy, safe and proserous New Year - looks like most of us around the world could do with it!

Take care.

Paul

cpd

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:02 pm

I've noticed a similar thing to Paul where a website will have a forum message about a photo (EG BA Virtual airline about the 5 engined QF 747 - or 5th pod operations) and it'll rocket off as well. Get a few of those and you are off and running.

The fact I'm managing to get between 2000-5000 views on reasonable photos must mean I'm taking photos of what people want to see and that I'm doing something right perhaps.

Quoting Psych (Reply 28):
Wishing everyone a very happy, safe and proserous New Year - looks like most of us around the world could do with it!

Certainly, this year hasn't been one of the better ones for me. May the next year bring no computer technology failures for me.