Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

Canon EF 70-200f/4 L USM Lens - Opinons?

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:17 am

Hi everybody,

I have considered purchasing the Canon EF 70-200f/4 L USM Lens (non is) and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. It seems to get pretty good review, and i went to Samys camera to try it out, and though I only got to use it for a couple of minutes, it seemed like a pretty good lens. I don't really have the money for the is version, nor the f/2.8, yet i eventually plan on purchasing a 1.4x extender. I found out that the 2x costs only slightly more, yet it will not work with and f/4 lens. However, in a way I was kind of happy since the 1.4x got better reviews and seemed to give better quality pictures. So yeah, if anyone owns either of those mentioned above, I would be happy to hear you opinions about them.

Thanks,
-redacted

hrtsfldhomeboy

RE: Canon EF 70-200f/4 L USM Lens - Opinons?

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:51 am

Sharp! Except mine shows softness on the far left hand side.

SNATH

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:19 am

Thomas,

Quoting ThomasWarloe (Thread starter):
and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

Can't comment on the non-IS version. However, I have the IS version of the f4 and I love, love, love it. It handles great and its image quality is superb for a zoom (it's almost "prime" sharp, but it is considered a bit sharper that the non-IS version). I've also had very good results with the 1.4x extender. Some folks claim that the extender has no effect on imagine quality; this is not true. But given that the bare lens is already very sharp, the resulting image quality with the 1.4x extender is still very acceptable / usable.

Quoting ThomasWarloe (Thread starter):
I found out that the 2x costs only slightly more, yet it will not work with and f/4 lens.

That's not quite true. The 2x extender will work with f4 lenses. You'll just lose auto-focus. And image quality will be affected even more than with the 1.4x extender.

Tony

jetmatt777

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:24 am

I have the Non-IS f/4L.

Great lens, super fast USM AF (and quiet), although I fear my copy is softer than it should be.

I would recommend this lens to anyone.

-Matt

vivekman2006

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:11 am

I have been using this lens for more than a year and a half now, and one word sums it up - EXCELLENT!

The image quality is razor sharp, the focusing is silent and fast, and the build quality of the lens is superb.

Have a look at the following photos on the db clicked using this lens. Camera used was a Canon 400D.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vivek Manvi
View Large View Medium

Photo © Vivek Manvi

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vivek Manvi
View Large View Medium

Photo © Vivek Manvi

- Vivek

JakTrax

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 am

Another vote from me.....

I've had it for nearly four years now and it's the best lens I've ever owned. Sharp throughout its entire focal range, built like a tank, quality feel in your hands and not overly big. Color and contrast reproduction are also top-notch.

It's the cheapest of the L series lenses and a real bargain when you consider how professional it is. Furthermore, it's often claimed that it's one of Canon's sharpest zooms.

I have advised so many people to buy this lens over the past few years and not one person has complained or had a bad word to say about it.

If you buy it I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Karl

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:09 am

You can't go wrong with a L 70-200, regardless of version! The 2x extender will have a great impact on image quality and it will appear like a badly adjusted 100-400 with poor performance in low light. It's not even recommended on a 2.8 IS.
I use the 1.4x and it has some impact on quality, but it's good enough for me.

These are shot with 1.4x at F9, IS off so I expect you should get similar results on a F4 non IS with 1.4x.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johnny Kristensen
View Large View Medium

Photo © Johnny Kristensen

RonS

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:16 pm

I believe the 70-200 f/4 is a GREAT value for the money. It is super sharp, and versatile. Just get it, you won't be dissapointed. Almost all my photos on here a with it.

flyingzacko

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:27 pm

I've owned the 700-200 f/4 for about 5 years now, and I don't regret it at all. I've used it on my 300D back in the days and now on my 40D and it is superfast and supersharp. Money well spent. You won't regret it.

Cheers,
Sebastian

zbot69

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Agree with the concensus. The F4 may very well represent one of _the_ very best values for a lens in photography. Consider you're getting a Canon L lens for mere hundreds of dollars versus some of the other lenses out there, and of course the capabilities of the lens. Biggest plus aside from its photographic capabilities is the weight. Lens is very light but still enjoys a solid, rugged construction. Exactly what you expect from an L-series lens.

Also used the F4 with the x1.4 II Canon Extender; very good combo on fine sunny days, but you really do have to factor in the light because you're limited to f5.6 with the extender.

My very few shots on A.net were with the 70-200 f4 on a Canon 40D. The ones posted were w/o the 1.4 extender.

Lens is worth every penny and will practically have paid for itself within months in pure enjoyment.

Cheers!