Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Asuspine
Topic Author

Top 5 Of The Last 24 Hours

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi,

I am relatively new to airliners.net and seeking some clarity about "Top 5 of the Last 24 Hours".

No doubt these are great photos always but I wonder about other great photos (of course not mine) uploaded on the same day. I have surfed the same day uploads a few times and have seen other great shots doing a fraction of Top 5 in terms of views. So,

1. How do Top 5 gets most views.

2. Why other great shots get almost neglected.

Thanks

dvincent

RE: Top 5 Of The Last 24 Hours

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 pm

You're at the mercy of the whimsy of visitors.

The top 5 are updated at the top of the hour. Once something cracks the top 5, it will pick up steam.

Shots get neglected because... well, I can't quite say why. Are people more comfortable just scrolling through thumbnails of a lot of stuff? Maybe.

ghajdufi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Quoting Asuspine (Thread starter):

I'd say 95% of the visitors won't go deeper than the main page. Most of the visitors aren't photographers. The photo widget showing the top5 can be found on billions of other websites thus attracting thousands of views every hour. If your photo gets discovered the high views are guaranteed. Many of the photos get discovered by external links e.g. links to friends or spotting groups' external forums. Same thing with the PCA (most of times) IMO.
Some great shots are considered boring because of the number of similar shots already uploaded.

zbot69

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm

I think there are a score of factors. After 10+ years online, some shots have been done to death, and so no matter how good subequent shots there's just little interest from regulars; some photogs use 2d-party social media sites and link their A.net shots and then their pals will send the photo flying to the top of the ranks; some shots are from A.net old-timers and they have name recognition and so even if they post so-so shots the street cred gives them some mileage; and you could argue that the layout of the front page limits exposure for most new shots. Maybe if the front page were reconfigured somehow a better layout might introduce more shots than just the top 5.

It seems that right now the Civil Aviation forum is the biggest source of A.net traffic, and a lot of those people just come for aviation news updates or to swap info. Maybe if forum pages were reconfigured to show new shots in one of the sidebars, say a string of thumbnails of the top 20, it would draw more forum members into the photo database. Just speculating of course, I have no access to exact site-traffic data. And of course... there's no accounting for taste.

But I agree. You usually have to go digging through the site to find the really good submissions, the Daily Top 5 is a bit hit and miss.

Look at this beauty...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Janne Laukkonen

You can tell from the skies the photog must have gone through all sorts of hell to just get "a" shot, let alone this gem. 866 views after two weeks... crying shame if you ask me.

Or this baby...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dejan Milinkovic

Great capture. Gorgeous shot. Advert quality material. Might break the 1k after 3 weeks on the site.

Or how about this one...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Geoff Hibbert - Global Aviation Resource

If I had my way, I'd make Mach Loop shots a mandatory front page item. Can't get enough of those.

Maybe one way to address this sort of thing is to alot the Daily Top 5 according to categories, and to not allow more than 1 slot per category, and to alter category slots on the Top 5 randomly. Then photogs would never know which 5 categories were on any given Daily Top 5, and we could all stop gaming the site to try for the front page and just focus on taking great shots.

Or not. Whatever.

sulman

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:34 pm

Saturation is part of the problem. Full frame shots, dramatic or not, have been done to death. That doesn't mean they're not enjoyable, but its no coincidence that there's more original material starting to appear, as people try new things.

Asuspine
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks for sharing valuable information. I think the best chances to be among top 5 are probably in a good aerial view of some airport. It heartening to see photographers with very few previous photos on A.net making it to top five in this category within last few days.

Cheers,

Asuspine

sovietjet

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:51 pm

1) I wrote this somewhere a while back. If you want front page then submit an A-380(and now also 787), airport overview, cabin interior shot, Russian bombers and fighters, Iran. These account for a significant amount of top 5 shots.

2) Because on any given day there's at least 5 photos that fit into those categories...the other photos simply get pushed back and unseen.

Asuspine
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Thank you. It was indeed this photo that made me ask these questions. I'm glade it made it to photographer's choice.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas/Boeing-747-438/1645909/L/

phoenix1

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:47 pm

wow this one looks unreal. you do not see such thing every day..