Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lgw340
Topic Author

Photo Harassment

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Helloooo everyone!
I have a person called Dannis Bord who keeps harassing me about my photos of 777's. I uploaded ine of an ANA 773 landing at LHR and he emailed me asking if he could have a '2mb' copy of it. I dont see why anybody would have a 2mb version of it as the maximum upload size is 1mb. I didn't get a chance to respond as I was off to Zurich the next day and when I came back 2 days later, I had another 2 emails from him asking exactly the same thing so I just sent him the pic. I then got a stropy email back saying 2mb please. Now I'm getting another flood of emails from him asking for another 777 shot I just uploaded. He says they are for his personal collection but why somebody would need a 2mb pic for a personal collection I dont know!
Anybody have any advice as to what I should do???
Cheers,
Chris Goodwin

Pics in questions:
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Pakis...d=0cbfa509d5953c59c53cc4eafd6fc9e7

https://www.airliners.net/photo/All-N...d=0cbfa509d5953c59c53cc4eafd6fc9e7

Creep

RE: Photo Harassment

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Find out what he wants to do with your photos. If he wants to print them, then he needs to pay you. He may be wanting a larger file (i.e. one that wasn't scaled down) so that he can print it on his own.

If the links you send him aren't good enough for his use, then it suggests to me that computer screen viewing isn't what he has in mind. Which means maybe he wants a free print. Unless you're feeling generous or charitable, the guy should pay you for your work.

dazbo5

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I've had a few emails from him too. Personally, I don't give out high resolution photos and sent an emailing explaining my reasons. I didn't get a reply. From all accounts, he's genuine and wants the 2mb files to makes prints from for his collection.

Darren

lgw340
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:50 pm

I have asked him what he wants with them for and I got an email saying 'personal' and that is all he wrote. Im not feeling to generous to be honest as I love the PIA 777 pic!

Creep

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:53 pm

This is just my opinion, but if the guy who wants your photos can't even craft a complete sentence to politely explain why he thinks you should hand over your photos for free, then he doesn't deserve them.

dvincent

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Quoting Dazbo5 (Reply 2):
From all accounts, he's genuine and wants the 2mb files to makes prints from for his collection.

Then he should pay your prints service for them!

JakTrax

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 pm

I used to get floods of email from this guy. At first I gave away a couple of freebies but it got to the point where he was asking on an almost daily basis and if I didn't respond in an hour I'd be asked once again.

With regard to his seemingly rude approach, do bear in mind that his first language is not English, which may well explain his blunt manner. From what I can gather his grasp of English is far from perfect and his emails look very generic to me - almost as though he himself is not quite sure what he's asking!

On the other hand, generic emails show no willing to be thankful for what you receive and I was certainly never thanked for my generosity. I believe the guy was invited to participate in these forums, to enable him to explain to the community what exactly his requirements were. I don't think he responded, which didn't demonstrate the best of manners.

In my last email to him I explained that I'd already sufficiently donated to his cause and was no longer prepared to hand out free images. Last I heard he was offering to pay a small fee for some images, although whether this is just a way of pacifying and winning over the photog I don't know.

What I am pretty sure of is that - as he says - he is only a personal collector with no malicious intention. I'd perhaps give him one image and leave it at that.

Karl

NIKV69

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:41 pm

This individual is famous and does this to everyone. I told him nicely that I would never send that huge a file to someone unless they paid for it and that I could send him a print of any shot he wanted for the price it cost me and that if that was not the case to stop emailing me. Never heard from him again.

dl767captain

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:25 pm

That does seem pretty annoying, just email him saying you are not willing to release photos of that quality and to please stop emailing you.

BTW those are some pretty cool shots though!

lgw340
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Ok,
Thanks for your help guys!
Cheers
Chris

scbriml

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:46 pm

I get emails from him as well for just about every 777 shot I upload. I'm afraid it's got to the point where I just ignore them.

unattendedbag

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:05 pm

Quoting LGW340 (Thread starter):
Anybody have any advice as to what I should do???

ignore him.

I don't send any photos out in full file form unless they pay. There is no reason they would need the entire file for their "collection". It doesn't belong in anyone collection except for mine.

JakTrax

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:13 pm

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 11):
It doesn't belong in anyone collection except for mine

Ha ha, that's a damn-fine statement!!! I like it...

Karl

757MDE

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:32 pm

I used to get emails from him too, mostly 777s but also an A340-500 the other day.
I sent him a couple, but he kept coming back and I told him I couldn't accommodate his requests anymore.
He still wrote once more, I ignored him and I haven't heard from him ever since.

I asked what he did and he said something about working with Bombardier.

cpd

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 am

Quoting LGW340 (Thread starter):
I have a person called Dannis Bord who keeps harassing me about my photos of 777's.

Yes, I've received messages before. I replied and sent a 1024x768 version of the image requested, but I sent no further replies because I'm too busy.

For me, it was this photo:

[Edited 2010-02-04 16:37:46]

sovietjet

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:23 am

He asked me for 777 shots all the time last year. I sent him maybe 3-4 and then I kind of started ignoring him however he also stopped asking so I guess it was "mutual". I think if he had any intent of misusing them it would've been found out by now as it seems like he asks a large number of a.net uploaders for high-res photos. Therefore if these photos were published anywhere it would've probably been found by now. I think the guy just has a great liking for the 777, much like how I love Tu-134s and use several hundred Tu-134 a.net shots in a random wallpaper generator  

soon7x7

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:13 am

I sometimes have tables at these local airliner shows and I sell photos and aircraft parts and the same guys come every year and they each have their own favorites, they go nuts over the stuff, just for their own personal use. In all their excitement they tend to forget being human...sounds wierd but some collectors are real fanatics and mean no harm. You can usually read someone that has commercial repro use in mind as his questions will be different...they do tend to be nickel and dimers, sometimes you want to pay them to take the print just to get out of your face...   

FedexL1011

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:24 am

Tell him that the highest res is 1gb and that if he wants 2gb he has to fork it over     and leave you alone after that and if he keeps asking you mark him as spam. This is what I would do and if you dont want to give away and image tell him to leave you alone or again mark him as spam.

Again this is what i would do   

SFO2SVO

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:44 am

After sending couple photos to Dannis I suggested that he registers here and on JP and posts in one of the forums explaining who he is and what is he up to. He responded, in rather harsh manner, basically stating that he is not a thief (never accused him of this) and he does not owe anybody any explanations.
So... while I understand that a lot of misunderstanding may come out of simple "English as Second Language" issue - no more photos from me.

zbot69

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:18 am

Send him a wordy message. Cut and paste something from a news site or whatevr and copy into your email. He seems to dislike attempts at "chat"... and I don't think he even bothers to read emails. He just wants his 2mb pics as painlessly as possible, and he's not even prepared to offer a decent response to an email. After his first couple of emails I did this and I sent him a pretty wordy email asking just what exactly he wanted with a 2mb file and I never heard from him again.

But I would certainly not send him any pics. Just seems to encourage him more.

Cheers!!!

mclaudio

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:21 am

Cheers!
You can allow disallow e-mail messages on your profile. That way, no one will contact you using a.net as a link.
I have this option selected for many months now, and I'm quite pleased with it and I explain why.
Earlier last year I changed the setting for a few weeks just to see if the normally annoying new emails had stopped, but one or two weeks later an Australian company asked me for the original of a photo for free. Obviously I answered back using tons of irony and asked if they didn't bother for me to go there and a take one of their computers also for free as I needed a new one. The conversation ended right there.
After that, I selected once again the disallow messages on my profile...and I've been living quietly and happy in my cave since then without having to put up with companies wanting stuff for free or just annoying kids asking for raw files
Have fun!

unattendedbag

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:25 am

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 19):
Send him a wordy message.

There is no reason to send him a "wordy" message or engage in conversation. If you're not going to give him the photos, there's no reason to know why he wants the photos. He emailed me in September of 2008. This was my response:

"Unfortunately, I cannot give away high resolution copies of my pictures. You are welcome to use the image on the website for your personal use.

Thank you for understanding.
"

simple. haven't heard from hin since.

[Edited 2010-02-06 01:29:49]

757MDE

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:34 am

I wouldn't disallow messages...

In spite of this and some African rich kids that need my account to deposit the 15 million dollars of their deceased parents I have gotten way more "good" messages than bad ones, some of them resulting in sales (I don't do this for money but it can't hurt)

JakTrax

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Quoting SFO2SVO (Reply 18):
he does not owe anybody any explanations

In which case WE do not owe him any of OUR images.....

Quoting SFO2SVO (Reply 18):
while I understand that a lot of misunderstanding may come out of simple "English as Second Language" issue - no more photos from me

If he can put his point across competently about owing everyone here nothing then he understands English sufficiently enough to know what's considered rude and what's not! I wouldn't send further images either!

I've not found the guy a huge problem - when I began to get tired of his emails I sent a firm (but polite) one back and ignored him from there onwards. He does seem to want his 2mb+ images without thinking about the human element behind them and his generic emails lend weight to the theory that he doesn't perhaps go about things in the best possible way. I think when you're asking for free, high-res images you should try and be a little more personal with the copyright owner.

Karl

zbot69

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 21):

Yeah. Cut-Paste is a pretty complicated concept.

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 23):
I think when you're asking for free, high-res images you should try and be a little more personal with the copyright owner.

Exactly.

bigphilnyc

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 7):
This individual is famous and does this to everyone. I told him nicely that I would never send that huge a file to someone unless they paid for it and that I could send him a print of any shot he wanted for the price it cost me and that if that was not the case to stop emailing me. Never heard from him again.

Exactly right.

He is a man that clearly does not have an understanding, or no respect, for photographers' work. I would be "entertained" greatly if he attempted to contact me again for such a photo.

koryo

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Perhaps Anet could block his email address so he could not contact photographers?

unattendedbag

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:21 am

Quoting koryo (Reply 26):
Perhaps Anet could block his email address so he could not contact photographers?

Why? What has he done worng?

EGTESkyGod

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:44 am

He has asked me for all shots I have uploaded of any Boeing 777 aircraft. First he asked me for my Emirates 777 and I told him I didn't have the original due to a drive malfunction. He was incessant so I said again that I DIDN'T HAVE the image in higher resolution.

He then asked me for copies of my Singapore 777 and the Delta 777 pic.

Again he was ridiculously persistant so I told him I will not be giving out my photos for free as I do not have any knowledge whether he will distribute them or not or even how many times he would. So I said "I will ask for a price of £35 (GBP) due to the fact I cannot keep a track of whether you reuse it or not. Call this an insurance policy."

I made this for Bord as a deterrant to his rude and pestering nature towards me. I am perfectly happy to let people who are interested have my photographs for a much cheaper price provided a valid reason for wanting the photos is given, and a price is agreed on both ways. I am very friendly and will consider anything, however Bord was crossing the line in my opinion.

Smile

[Edited 2010-02-07 17:52:23]

EGTESkyGod

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

The photos I mentioned above in order...

1615206>1586493>

[Edited 2010-02-07 17:56:06]

I don't know what is going on with this forum... it screws up when I try to post my photos.

[Edited 2010-02-07 18:00:31]

Alaircraft

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:18 am

I'm not sure about this, but there could be a place to report things like this on your email, depending on which type you have. Hope this might help.