Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

emirates55
Topic Author

Canon Lense

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 am

I have a Canon EOS 30D+EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM lens. I want to know if it is good to take pictures of planes that are in the air. I tried to take some, but they do not come out as good as I want. Is it the camera setting I need to chagne or perhaps I should try it with a different lens. Will the speed of ISO effect the quality of the picture?

Silver1SWA

RE: Canon Lense

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 am

Your rig is more than enough for aviation photography, as long as you shoot from spots where 200mm is enough reach.

It looks like you need to learn your basics of photography. That's far more important for image quality than going straight to top-end gear. I don't mean to sound harsh, but your question is rather elementary...

[Edited 2010-03-02 21:23:22]

gabik001

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Only practice can make you perfect   So try to shoot anything , anywhere not only planes on the sky (or ground) to learn. I know , it sounds funny but you have to start be closer to settings of the camera , not just camera. After a hundreds of different shots taken at differrent light conditions in differrent places you will find perfect settings of a camera for you. But it needs a time. You got good body with good lens attached so only thing to do is do some practice.
Regards , Gabriel

ake0404ar

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Years ago, I was playing tennis with a buddy of mine. On the court next to us, there were two older guys, dressed up like John McEnroe and Boris Becker. Top notch equipment and outfit......but they played a shitty game.

so I can second that what Ryan mentioned......

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 1):
It looks like you need to learn your basics of photography. That's far more important for image quality than going straight to top-end gear. I don't mean to sound harsh, but your question is rather elementary...

Based on your profile you will be more than likely hanging out in the Bay Area...team up with the locals and go from there.

Vasco

cvervais

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:06 am

200mm is plenty reach for spotting at SJC from wither the short term garage in the morning or from the SJSU parking lot in the afternoons.