Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dlednicer
Editor
Topic Author

Lens Hits Floor

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Last Saturday, I had the horrifying experience of watching the lens fall off of my camera while someone was taking a picture of me standing in front of an aircraft. It must not have been properly locked on - I had it not lock on well once before. As it fell, I noticed that the lens hood would hit first, which it did, absorbing much of the initial impact with the concrete hangar floor (the hood didn't break). I ran over and checked the lens - nothing appeared to be broken. I shot pictures with it on both Saturday and Sunday and they seem to have come out OK. There might be a little softness to the focus, but I can't tell for certain.

The lens is a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. The fall was about four feet and floor was concrete. What do you folks recommend I do to make sure that it is OK?

dl767captain

RE: Lens Hits Floor

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Take the injured lens to the hospital immediately! Just kidding, well can you send it to canon or something for them to look it over?

dvincent

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Check the zoom and focus mechanisms and make sure there's no hitches or irregularities. Shake the lens and see if you can hear any bits floating around. Check the focus regularity across the frame by shooting some flat field objects and see if one side is softer than the other.

My Tamron 17-50 has actually survived two falls with no ill effect. My Sigma 50-500... was not as lucky.

iamlucky13

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 pm

I guess a shake to listen for any new rattles is an easy first step. Note, however, that many lenses have a few rattles even in perfect condition (my Nikon 70-300 VR definitely does).

Also, you can find some pictures in your collection that you can duplicate for the same subject, zoom, and aperture (and similar lighting to reduce perception of differences) and compare the quality.

I'd also try testing it with IS off versus on to see if that system was damaged.

But don't toss the lens out just because you may find a difference. If the difference is excessive, you can probably send it in to Canon for repair. If it's negligible, you might be content just to keep using the lens.

My D40 + kit lens (about as plastic as they come) fell four feet from a poorly chosen perch onto gravel at one point. It appeared ok to me, but over the next several months I noticed definite softness and significant chromatic aberrations in the left third of the image in some situations (I think it tended to be smaller apertures and wider angles). I guess one of the compound elements separated partially. I didn't feel compelled to replace it for another six months, however, because it only affected about 10% of my shots.

viv

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Quoting dlednicer (Thread starter):
floor was concrete. What do you folks recommend I do to make sure that it is OK?

Check for cracks and chips. If you find any, fill with liquid cement.

aviopic

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:39 pm

As it fell, I noticed that the lens hood would hit first, which it did, absorbing much of the initial impact with the concrete hangar floor

That's bad, for a proper result remove lens hood next time.

I shot pictures with it on both Saturday and Sunday and they seem to have come out OK.

That's even worse, next time take it higher before dropping it.

There might be a little softness to the focus

Don't worry about it.
It's a standard feature.

gabik001

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:01 am

Man , you were lucky that your lens had hood on it... When my 100-400 hit the ground from 4ft it just wear UV filter . My son pull the strap that was attached to the pouch and then... Bang! Hopefully only UV filter broke apart and nothing happend to the lens. I was checking everything I could on it... I'm still using this lens with best results.
Looks like your lens working good.
Regards , Gabriel

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:03 am

I had my KM 5D+Sigma 135-400 mounted on a Velbon tri-pod, and when I moved the tri-pod the cam fell off due to a weak safety mechanism. Lenses needed readjustment, the diaphragm oilbox broke splatting oil on the blades, lenses, mirror and even sensor! New front end on the lens as it landed on the edge taking the threads and filter out too. One costly crash, that I after 3 months of arguments got Velbon to pay for, since it was a weakness on their product! They claimed user error, too heavy equipment and what not... It was approved for 5Kg's, and my gear weighed in at 3Kg's, and I was able to replicate the fault in store.

So, get it checked, an oil leak from the diaphragm can damage your camera!

soon7x7

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:20 am

Happened to me twice, the clip on my neck strap unlatched and my 80-200, 2.8 crash landed (hangar floor)...lens was never the same (tossed it)...NEXT...while at JFK I got out of a Port Authority pick up truck and my 24-70, 2.8 followed me. It crashed on the concrete and bouced off the lens shade just as yours did. I gave it to Nikon and she checked out fine...still using it with perfect results...But do bring it to the RX for a check up. I hear Canon accepts Blue Cross/ Blue Shield...not to worry...j

spencer

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:26 pm

Viv, that was eeeeeevil! Hahaha!
Spence.

viv

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Quoting spencer (Reply 9):
Viv, that was eeeeeevil!

Spence, you know me, I like to answer the question that was asked!

dlednicer
Editor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Quoting viv (Reply 4):
Check for cracks and chips. If you find any, fill with liquid cement.

Crazy Glue?

Folks, thanks for all the advice. I'll take it in to a local repair shop for a checkup.