a330fanatic

RE: Photographers Or Spotters?

Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Spencer,

When I started this hobby back in 2007. I wasn't even aware of that particular activity of writing down reg-numbers.
In reality, I'd never seen any people doing that in France... To me, spotting meant only taking pics of airplanes.
So when I saw those "spotters" for the first time. I was intrigued and amused at the same time.

This hobby is definitely much more popular in the UK than France. Actually, from my own experience, the vast majority came from your country. I'd met them countless times at MAD, AMS, BRU, CDG etc...

Indeed, the revolution of DLSR has contributed to the development of plane-photography around the world. The technology has allowed many of us here to take "decent" pics and is more "forgiving" as well with the newbies. It's all good IMHO!

Like you rightfully said, at the end of the day, everybody goes home happy! Either they are spotters or photospotters Smile Smile

Cheers

Paul

[Edited 2010-04-02 09:02:34]

walter2222

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 6):
2 of my passions, namely aviation and photography, have brought me to photographing airplanes.
Whether people call me photographer or spotter isn't really important to me though I always like to clarify that I'm not a reg collector.

Same here.

I do respect the registration collectors, certainly since I have used a lot of their info (e.g. from Scramble contributors) to trace back information that I never had when I was shooting slides (I was just interested in the picture, and had no idea that many years later, this information was going to be very valuable when uploading scanned slides).
Even with the help of databases like Scramble, sometimes it is still hard to find the correct data of an old picture, e.g.:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Walter Van Bel

I have spend days/weeks trying to find out when and where I took this picture. I found this old slide in my collection with other belgian Starfighters, so I obviously concluded that the shot was taken at KB (looking at the weather, it was certainly Belgium   ). It was only after uploading that a person (who is writing a book on "The Slivers") asked me whether I remembered the registrations (of both aircraft) and the location where the shot was taken, because he doubted that the shot was taken at KB (based on all the other information he had already collected). I felt sorry that I could not help him further and I was really impressed with all his information.
Afterall, I am still very pleased that I have taken this slide-shot (even if I don't know the registration of the second F-104G), so, I guess I am an amateur photographer.

Best regards,

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

spencer

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:47 pm

PlaneHunter, I see you collect types and airlines flown too, which is something I also do. I wonder how many photographers do the same? Be honest now...!
Spence.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

JohnKrist
Head Support

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Spencer, I do and I am very happy to have a few odd ones in my rooster, like the aforementioned IL-76. I do regret that I have not collected the regs of all planes I've been on which would be some after a few hundred flights. But I certainle remember all airlines and types.

PlaneHunter, good post. Couldn't agree more!
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

66chargerfan

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:42 pm

i think alot of us do both, but im not saying that as part of someone else...i just know there are spottertographers (new word i just created) that focus both on the getting reg and getting the picture...

maybe im wrong too...

lennymuir

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Karl, I understand what you are saying but your message doesn't translate
beyond the shores of the British Isles.
There's also a real age problem as well.
Lets be honest, you don't see many young guys collecting registrations now at the airports.
It's pretty rare. It's the same old sweats I recognise for the past +30 years.

Here is my definition of a 'Spotter'

>>>>

I was on an aviation 'enthusists' European tour a few years ago. 95% of the guys on that tour bus
are what Karl calls 'Spotters'... A few of them carried a pocket camera to record their captures
of course

This was at a Swedish airfield, but unfortunately, all the aircraft are locked up in their hangars.
There wasn't much for me to 'shoot' except for this display by my fellow enthusiasts
falling down like dying flies onto the tarmac. Over 40 guys all took their turn to peer under these
doors. They also carry little mirrors on sticks similar to the tools used by a dentist,
to see around corners inside closed hangars.

Please also note: whilst on that trip, (all lovely guys of course) the craic was excellent but
I was taking a lot of banter and jesting for not collecting registrations and frame c/n's.

I was the alien in a plane-spotters tour bus.

Gerry

757MDE

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:46 am

Quoting spencer (Reply 52):
PlaneHunter, I see you collect types and airlines flown too, which is something I also do. I wonder how many photographers do the same? Be honest now...!
Spence.

I do!
If, for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to have existential angst because you nag as hell. www.alpharamirez.com

viv

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:54 am

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 56):
Quoting spencer (Reply 52):
Spence.

I do!

I

I do not!
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

spencer

Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 am

50/50 then, my point made, hahaha!!
Spence.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:56 am

For anyone getting a little sensitive here can I remind people that no-one has ridiculed 'spotting' - I simply asked for opinions. Personally I'm just stating that I have met a few who appear to take it too far and who seem to not be interested in actual aviation. Put it another way, I have met some real weirdos; mainly people who collect numbers. I'm not saying all spotters are like this (far from it) but I'm afraid you have to accept that there are many 'collectors' out there with no real interest in aircraft. In every game there are some that give others an ill-deserved reputation.

It's an on-going joke here in the UK about train spotters being nerdy - you see it on TV, in books, newspapers, magazines, etc. There's no getting away from it - if you spot trains you're just going to have to accept that people are going to find it strange and make fun of you.

Getting defensive over your right to spot (which no-one is questioning) reminds me of the very guys at MAN I'm referring to.....

As long as everyone enjoys what they do then all is well in the camp today.....

Karl

hrtsfldhomeboy

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Spotter:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Whitebird

Photographer:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Wietse de Graaf - AirTeamImages

I prefer work of the photographers over the spotters on this website.

dendrobatid

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Karl
You touch on the crux of spotting.
Whilst trainspotters are now a subject of derision, above a certain age a very high proportion of us in the UK were trainspotters. At 57 old I am very much the bottom end of that age group that were largely spotters and I did it too. With a railway shed (40E for those in the know) a couple of minutes walk away, full of steam trains, it was a way to occupy our time as kids and there were so many doing it that it was accepted. With the demise of steam however, the majority of us lost interest though quite a few moved onto aircraft where there was still plenty of variety and after a short gap in any form of spotting I started to spot aircraft in 1967. I stopped in 1985, half way through a log for Fairford and have not done so since. I will not decry spotters as I did it and even, to an extent, understand it.
In the early 1970s I started to take more and more photographs though travelling with a friend he wrote the logs and I took the photos - I still lean heavily on his note-taking when I have not recorded things properly.
Nowadays I still try to record anything new, but with the camera, so whilst I am not a spotter, I am every bit as bad.
I am however very much an aircraft enthusiast first and I do sometimes wonder if some spotters are more interested in the number than the aircraft. My friend, with whom I still sometimes travel is not totally happy until he has read the registration for himself, I am not totally happy until I have taken a photograph, recorded the aircraft. The difference is that my recording is more tangible, though his meticulous logging and recording of what he has seen may also be of interest to historians one day. Those that do not keep any form of record I cannot understand at all.
There is room for us all in the hobby though !

Just read what Hartsfield pointed out. The spotter and photographer are not mutually exclusive, there is room for all. The site is still a database and you can pick and choose what you want to look at. I have not forgotten that it is a database and that suits my recording tendencies....the spotter is still in me I guess  Smile

Mick Bajcar

[Edited 2010-04-03 06:50:26]

Silver1SWA

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:25 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 59):
It's an on-going joke here in the UK about train spotters being nerdy

Here in the US, the same goes for plane spotters and photographers.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 61):
Those that do not keep any form of record I cannot understand at all

To be honest I think that shows an enthusiasm - those who sit there for a few hours and watch are obviously fascinated and while perhaps not as enthusiastic as us 'nuts' here it's still admirable in my opinion. Better to show a genuine interest than become obsessed by collecting 'just another number'. I still maintain that some people lose the interest in favour of trying to log as much as possible per airport visit. That's not a true love for aviation.

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 61):
With the demise of steam however, the majority of us lost interest though quite a few moved onto aircraft

I see your point but isn't that just 'settling' for an alternative in a way? Not questioning your enthusiasm Mick but no doubt for others this seemingly natural progression is one of default rather than one of passion. I've loved aircraft ever since I was a kid - flight fascinates me and always will, and if aeroplanes were to vanish tomorrow I wouldn't be satisfied with any other alternative. No planes, no photography; for me anyway. I've been obsessed with aviation for so long it's difficult to imagine what I'd do for a hobby without it. All my 'sub-hobbies' (let's call them) have developed as a direct result of my love of aircraft.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 62):
Here in the US, the same goes for plane spotters and photographers

I think it's come full-circle in the UK. All through school, college, etc. I never hid the fact that I was a plane nut and aside from the odd tongue-in-cheek comments here and there I never got the p*** ripped out of me. When I tell people now the reaction is more one of fascination than jest - most folks say, "Wow, that sounds pretty cool!". Many actually want to come and give it a go and most enjoy it; albeit not for 15 hours!

I too used to collect registrations (up to about the age of 16) then I thought, "What's the point?". I turned more towards photography instead and concentrated on how to improve my pictures. I look back now and am disappointed I failed to photograph so much stuff. I still have the registrations in notebooks but really, what good are they when put next to a photo?

An example I always use.....

OY-KIA - a SAS DC-9-14 - was delivered in the mid-sixties. It left the fleet in 2000. It's reg. in a notebook would look the same irrespective of date logged; however an image from 1970 and one from 1999 would look very different.....

Once again, the important bit is whatever makes us happy, however it's fact that the photography aspect, for whatever reason, is becoming increasingly distant from the apparent 'nerdier' activity of reg.-collecting. And to many both are geeky! Ultimately, I guess there are geeky and less-geeky sides to this varied hobby!

Karl

dendrobatid

Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 63):
I've loved aircraft ever since I was a kid - flight fascinates me and always will, and if aeroplanes were to vanish tomorrow I wouldn't be satisfied with any other alternative.

Essentially Karl, trains came first as there was no alternative. It is hard to comprehend now but flying was the domain of the rich back then. I was raised in a poor area, a working class background and for the first ten years or so of my life I did not know a soul who had actually flown. My interest came in 1967 (aged 14) when I joined the Air Cadets shortly after my Father paid for my first flight in an Auster.
That interest started a career in the industry, one that I gave up as it was so shaky, but a passion that contines today.
My passion is for aircraft, even gliders and microlights though if pushed to nominate a group it would be for the piston engined airliners that were about when I started.

Mick

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:28 pm

I have realized I watch most aircraft through the viewfinder of my camera, so maybe I am less of an enthusiast compared to a spotter since I watch them through a 8x10 mm window?
Sometimes I actually put down my cam and watch the beauty of an aircraft passing close over my head. It's easy to forget that when you keep hunting that A+ shot.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

NicolasRubio

Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 65):
Sometimes I actually put down my cam and watch the beauty of an aircraft passing close over my head. It's easy to forget that when you keep hunting that A+ shot.

+1

That's the best piece of advice I ever received regarding photography. I think it was my father who told me: "Make sure you don't live your life through a viewfinder."
Gripped 7D + Sigma 10-20mm + 17-40L + 50mm f/1.8 II + 70-200mm f/4L IS + EF 400mm f/5.6L + 580EX II

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 64):
Essentially Karl, trains came first as there was no alternative. It is hard to comprehend now but flying was the domain of the rich back then. I was raised in a poor area, a working class background and for the first ten years or so of my life I did not know a soul who had actually flown. My interest came in 1967 (aged 14) when I joined the Air Cadets shortly after my Father paid for my first flight in an Auster.
That interest started a career in the industry, one that I gave up as it was so shaky, but a passion that contines today.
My passion is for aircraft, even gliders and microlights though if pushed to nominate a group it would be for the piston engined airliners that were about when I started

Again, this defines your situation but doesn't offer a general picture - do you think that there are some in our hobby who moved from trains, etc. simply because there was nothing else to do or collect at the time? And of those is there a proportion (however big or small) that continues with the hobby despite actually having little interest in aviation, aircraft or flight itself?

I see how one could move away from an interest in an alternative type of transport and ultimately develop a serious interest in another but I just can't see how 'collecting' something constitutues a passion. My Il-76 story surely is a good example? I'm sorry to say but anyone who walks away from such an aircraft at close quarters obviously doesn't share the same level of interest as me. As mentioned above, it really is nice at times to put the camera away and just admire the proceedings for an hour or two. I find the general ramp operations pretty interesting sometimes - how it all comes together to make the airport 'tick'.

I'm not trying to get to the bottom of an endless pit here - just after opinions for debate's sake. So far I think this thread has maintained a steady flow of interest; which after all was the intention.

Karl

PlaneHunter

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:59 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 67):
My Il-76 story surely is a good example? I'm sorry to say but anyone who walks away from such an aircraft at close quarters obviously doesn't share the same level of interest as me. As mentioned above, it really is nice at times to put the camera away and just admire the proceedings for an hour or two.

I'm not into Russian types at all and an IL-76 doesn't fascinate me as much as a 777. Tastes are different, passions are different. I would never question anyone's enthusiasm or actions just because he doesn't share the same views.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 68):
I'm not into Russian types at all

But some may say that to be a real enthusiast one must embrace all aspects of aviation. Microlights don't interest me much but I'd be happy wandering around a light airfield for a few hours watching what goes on. My point is that this fellow would've walked away whatever had taxied round that corner - provided he didn't need it of course! I dare say if it'd have been BA's brand new A320 things would have been different.

You're right - tastes do vary but the point of the exercise is to find out if those tastes have any bearing on whether we're generally considered enthusiasts or not. The buck has to stop somewhere and lines do have to be drawn. That's succinct. The next guy responding in this thread may only go out to the airport once a month on a Sunday afternoon with the kids. How many of us would be quick to correct him if he claimed he was a really keen enthusiast?

This thread is collecting opinions, not definitively saying who's a spotter and who's a photographer in accordance with what we percieve as 'the rules'.

I'm of the opinion that, given what I know, I'm a photographer and not a spotter. But above all I'm an aviation enthusiast.

Karl

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Another good example is an American guy I met a few years back who only photographed Boeings as he 'doesn't like Airbus'. He obviously has some sort of interest in maybe a certain sector of aviation but could we call him an enthusiast? Not being bothered about the brand new A380 rumbling past him at Farnborough? Subjective.....

Karl

javibi

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:08 pm

I usually punch in the nose people that call me "spotter"      

j

airbus380ct

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:21 pm

I wouldnt say i was a spotter , but i do write down information for my records when i get home from doing a days photographing

But its a great subject

Carl

ThierryD

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:02 pm

Quoting javibi (Reply 71):
I usually punch in the nose people that call me "spotter"      

Anybody calling you a spotter, most definitely needs to take a look at your portfolio, Javier:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier Guerrero - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

...can't even read the reg on your damn photos!!!   

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

viv

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 73):
can't even read the reg on your damn photos!!!

Yes! These lousy shots should be deleted lol.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

derekf

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:46 am

Photographer or spotter? Does it matter? Why does it matter to some what others think? Do whatever you want to and enjoy it. Don't be saddled or inhibited in what you do by an arbitrary label.

Me? I've collected serials and registrations for many years - my log goes back to 1970. I've been taking photos since 1979. I try and be creative with my photos. I also take side-ons, record shots, contrail shots, photos into sun, photos when the sun isn't shining - whatever I want to. I even dot watch as well. I do it because I want to and don't much care what others think of my hobby.
Whatever.......

hotplane

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:11 am

I prefer work of the photographers over the spotters on this website.

So do I, but it's ok for photgraphers to do 'side on' shots once in a while so long as the light is good.
?

Braniff747SP

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:39 am

Quoting JakTrax (Thread starter):
As far as I'm concerned spotters are 'number-crunchers' who collect registrations.

No. I'm a spotter and a photographer (with a crap camera) but I don't sit there writing down regs... I simply watch the planes land and take [bad] pictures.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

A340Spotter

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:04 am

I am both an aircraft spotter and a photographer, collecting regs since 1992 of anything bigger than a Piper Meridian. Between airliners and bizjets/props, I believe my database totals some 40,000 registrations (and I think that's on the low estimate) in that time. I'm a rarity, an American born and raised spotter, and quite proud of it. I'm also one of the last diehard Kodachrome slide photographers, one of the youngest in the hobby (at 37).

This hobby has led me to gain many friends, from numerous spotters in the UK, Netherlands to photographers worldwide.

JSD
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

cpd

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:47 am

I never write down the registrations - only really take photos.

With my zero attention to noting the registrations, I usually have to go begging at the local spotters website to find out what the rego was on the plane I'd photographed if it wasn't visible.

Sadly, there is only so much you can do on the photographic side at my local airport - pretty much every angle has been done to death. You need to get tower access or hire a helicopter to get a different view, but then that's also been done to death too.

red750

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:03 pm

I agree with derekf

Quoting derekf (Reply 75):
Do whatever you want to and enjoy it. Don't be saddled or inhibited in what you do by an arbitrary label.

and Braniff747SP

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 77):
I'm a spotter and a photographer (with a crap camera) but I don't sit there writing down regs... I simply watch the planes land and take [bad] pictures.

I must be taking bad photos - they keep gatting rejected - although I have had a few photos taken 40 or more years ago accepted (and I want to thank Granite and the other screeners for their help). I can't be a photographer, because I dont have a camera worth thousands and a ton of glass. I use an under $200 point and shoot. Thank the lord for MyAviation.net, which is now uploading again. These shots were rejected from A.net but they are the best I can get them.

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Peter F Hough
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Peter F Hough

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Peter F Hough

As a result, I will continue to take the photos I like, and will upload them to MyAviation.net (and other sites). The viewer can decide what they want to look at and what they don't.

spencer

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Red750, I opened your CA-25 shot up. Very very nice!
Spence.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Well guys, looks as if this thread is finally starting to run out of steam but I'm glad to say that, in the main, it's stayed on topic and remained relatively light-hearted. Whatever you do, keep on enjoying what you do - that's the important bit!

Do I care what I am or what others percieve me as? Nope - not as long as I'm having a good time!

Thanks for the input. I'm beavering away already trying to find another in-depth subject we can all discuss, so until then - happy spotting. Or, er, photographing; or whatever else you do.....

Cheers,

Karl

alanelrfc

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Aviation Photographer!!!

Woop Woop! 
Flown On: F50,F100,DH4,M88,E145,E90,AT7,AR1,B733,735,738,739,B744,752,763,773,A319,320,321,332,333,346

Chukcha

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 am

It is not unusual for words in the language to change their meaning over the course of time. Like it or not, if the majority decide to call 'spotters' all people with cameras chasing aircraft - that will be it. In linguistics, the majority always wins, and those who try to go on the crusade for the 'purity' of terminology, always lose. The new word of this kind is slang; when a slang word becomes widely accepted, it becomes part of the language. So it seems that we'll be called 'spotters' regardless of whether we accept the term or not.

As for myself, I have long since stopped even trying to classify my airplane photo activities. Aviation has always been part of my life, ever since, as a kid, I lived in a part of the world which for eight month of the year was accessible only by air, and I couldn't help it but become fascinated by the flying machines. At the age of eighteen I entered the aviation technical school, and subsequently for nearly 15 years aviation was my job; but back in those times I hardly ever photographed airplanes.

A new wave of my fascination with aviation started when I myself became a pilot, flying the types that were of some interest for the aviation enthusiasts in the country of my birth. Some publications contacted me; I started writing articles for them and taking pictures for illustration purposes. Then I uploaded a couple of shots here; surprisingly, some got accepted. So I got hooked on A.net. I started with side-ons and 'three-quarters' of light aircraft taken with a point-n-shoot. Then my interest in aviation photography grew; I purchased a DSLR, nowadays I photograph pretty much anything that flies (or used to, as in the case of museum shots), anything that may be of some interest to others like myself.

Do I chase registrations? No. Does it bother me when they call me a 'spotter'? Not in the least.

The photographers who inspired me, who later became my friends - Phil Vabre who is also an air traffic controller and a pilot; George Canciani who was an automotive engineer before he retired. Regardless of their involvement with aviation outside of photography, does this kind of terminology matter to them? I don't know. They just go out there and shoot airplanes.

Recently, an aviation enthusiasts group that exists nearly 50 years, invited me to become a member. Their activities could be described as 'spotting' on a larger scale - they record aviation history of the state, aircraft movement being part of it. Some of them photograph airplanes, some don't. Some of them upload here (Matthew Huppatz, Ryan Hothersall), most don't. They don't mind me being part of their group of like-minded people - and that is all that matters to me personally; I thoroughly enjoy mixing with that wonderful crowd.

In the end, does the terminology matter that much? I think not. I just enjoy my hobby no matter what people call it.

gabik001

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi all
I can call me a spotter. I am a aviation fan since my childhood. I didn't know difference between compact and SLR camera but I did between AN24 and AN26   when I was a kid. Sitting in my car and watching a/c's without my camera happen to me very often. I do not need to taking a pictures all the way when I am close to the airport. Now I am learning aircraft' engines sound to recognize it.
But during last 5 years I took 50k shots , 85% of it were aircrafts...
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

saintex

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 84):
Does it bother me when they call me a 'spotter'?

Who are 'they' and why should it bother you or anybody ?

Unless this thread is not a semantic debate, but a thinly veiled putdown of those who do not take photographs exclusively.
Shame on y'all if that's true.

Chukcha

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Quoting saintex (Reply 86):
Who are 'they' and why should it bother you or anybody ?

Just try and read the whole thread carefully, not just one sentence taken out of context. That may answer your question.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:00 pm

Unless this thread is not a semantic debate, but a thinly veiled putdown of those who do not take photographs exclusively.
Shame on y'all if that's true

And just as the thread runs its course without incident we get someone trying to put words in the original poster's (the original poster being me) mouth........

Shame on who now?

Karl

saintex

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 88):
And just as the thread runs its course without incident we get someone trying to put words in the original poster's (the original poster being me) mouth........

So what exactly is/was the point of the thread ? Not that it's the first on this same subject, so what 'they' (I have read the whole thread(s) BTW) call us does appear to be of concern to some. I'm genuinely curious as to why that should be.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:02 pm

In my original post I asked people, "What do you consider yourselves?". Now if that's finding a way to put one party down then I'm sure whichever you belong to is overly paranoid.

There are statements above which 'could' be construed as mildly poking fun at certain aspects of the hobby, however if you can't accept that the whole enthusiast thing (whether it be photographer or spotter) is often considered geeky then I suggest you find a more fashionable and chic hobby. And yes, there's no denying that certain aspects of this hobby are perhaps a little more nerdy than others but as has been said if you're happy with what you do then there's no need to get all insecure about it. This isn't a thread for one group to put another down; nor is it a thread for anyone to feel victimised and go on the defensive.

If you don't have an opinion or something similarly constructive no-one's making you read the thread; nor are they prompting you to post. May I also remind you of this key phrase I used in my original post.....

Quoting JakTrax (Thread starter):
I thought I'd start something a little entertaining and light-hearted

You're welcome to try a better way of bolstering interest in this forum if you're aware of one.....

Karl

Chukcha

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:32 am

Well, maybe I'll try to explain.

Quoting saintex (Reply 89):
I'm genuinely curious as to why that should be.

Because for many here it is a misnomer. People generally don't like being called what they are not.

When I was an aircraft maintenance technician, people often mistakingly called me a pilot. I didn't like it and always corrected them. It wasn't because I found it demeaning or because I 'despised' pilots. On the contrary, I aspired to become one. But I didn't like being called what I was not.

Want more examples? I could come up with plenty.

Lately, however, the term "spotter" seems to come into common usage to apply to all aviation enthusiasts. That's why I'm personally not bothered when I 'm called a "spotter", even though technically I'm not one.

Anyway, what I don't understand is why you re so sensitive over this issue.

Braniff747SP

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 am

Quoting red750 (Reply 80):

As a result, I will continue to take the photos I like, and will upload them to MyAviation.net (and other sites). The viewer can decide what they want to look at and what they don't.

Yes. I can't afford some 3K camera plus a 2K lens, and even if I could, I don't think I would buy some great camera. My dad's Leica (film) and the point 'n shoot does for me. Me, I say I'm a spotter, as I'm not a hard-core photog, but, technically speaking, I am a photographer...

Shameless self-plug:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7861/clickanywhereonimagetoc.jpg
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

altitude604

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:34 pm

I consider myself a Photographer. But when I'm shooting, I go for aircraft that I personally haven't seen or that I find interesting. Although I will try to correlate registrations just for kicks and maybe to find out if a certain aircraft has an interesting story attached to it. Like yesterday I saw a USAF ANG LC-130 on Skis and found out that it has been down to McMurdo Base in Antarctica before.  

JakTrax
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't collect registrations but oddly enough I'm very good with them due to a pretty photographic memory for letters/numbers. The fact that I only work selected nights and therefore spend a lot of time looking at and photographing aircraft may well be a factor too.

Keep that quiet though, I have a reputation to uphold!  

Karl

saintex

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:33 am

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 91):
Anyway, what I don't understand is why you re so sensitive over this issue.

Since this was in a reply to my post, I'll assume it was directed at me.

I'm not the least bit sensitive; as far as the rest of the world is concerned we are ALL geeks anyway. Doesn't affect me one way or the other, and I don't understand why it apparently affects (in some fashion I don't understand) some a.netters.

But since y'all have decided I'm the Bad Guy in this thread (yes, I know I don't have to read it   ), I'll bow out.

Chukcha

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:51 am

Quoting saintex (Reply 95):
as far as the rest of the world is concerned we are ALL geeks anyway

With this I will agree   .

By the way, you have answered your own question, namely, "Who are' they'?" Seems that you knew who 'they' were all along, and it was just a rhetoric question.

Quoting saintex (Reply 95):
But since y'all have decided I'm the Bad Guy in this thread

Only if self-appointed   . On the contrary, you seem to be the 'Good Guy'," and the 'Bad Guys' are the rest of us:

Shame on y'all if that's true.

And now, about 'reading':

Quoting saintex (Reply 89):
I have read the whole thread(s) BTW

It is not what you read, it is what you read into it that matters. Unfortunately, that's often the problem with forums - due to the lack of live contact (facial expressions, body language, etc) posts often get misinterpreted. You have interpreted this thread as a 'chauvinistic' attack at the 'pure spotters'. I have interpreted it as a 'semantic debate.' In the end we have an argument over, essentially, nothing.

[Edited 2010-04-08 21:55:12]

speedbird19

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:40 pm

A blonde Aviation Photographer 
Planeprincess

AviatorG

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 6):
2 of my passions, namely aviation and photography, have brought me to photographing airplanes.
Whether people call me photographer or spotter isn't really important to me though I always like to clarify that I'm not a reg collector.

My thoughts exactly!

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Reading through some of the posts we actually have possibly three categories of aviation enthusiast (which I guess is the proper collective term for what we all are - any objections?) - photographer, spotter and reg. collector.

Karl