Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

Best Month For Ruskies At Antalya?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi all,

It will probably be the last year of Soviet types operating into AYT this year and I'm looking to go out there sometime soon. Was just wondering which is the best month to go - July, August or September? September would be best for me (cheaper and a little cooler) but is the barrage of Soviet builds still as constant as it is in July/August?

Thanks in advance.

Karl

INNflight

RE: Best Month For Ruskies At Antalya?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Strongly recommend to get some sort of written permission from the Turkish Ministry of Transportation that allows you to take photographs (other photographers have done this), as otherwise you MAY end up in a police station / prison cell very quickly.

whisperjet

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Karl,

from what I know September should be ok, however there won't be many Russian built planes this year.

@ Florian: Do you know more about the permission? Especially interested in how and where to obtain it.

Stefan

hotplane

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 pm

I was looking at going in September as well, so would also be interested in any relevant information.

GVerbeeck

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Quoting whisperjet (Reply 2):
from what I know September should be ok, however there won't be many Russian built planes this year.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Giovanni Verbeeck
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

I'd dare to say it's the best airport for Russian traffic, excluding a trip to Russia.

EDIT: Oh and the best month seemed to be June so far, but traffic should be steady until 15th September, perhaps a bit later.

[Edited 2010-07-12 15:03:28]

whisperjet

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:07 am

Ok, that's definitely more than I expected but still a lot less than the years before.

Stefan

ptrjong

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:26 am

Quoting GVerbeeck (Reply 4):

And you aren't writing in from jail? Did you get that permission or what do you think of the situation?

Thanks,

Peter 

GVerbeeck

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:32 am

Quoting whisperjet (Reply 5):
Ok, that's definitely more than I expected but still a lot less than the years before.

It's 2010 now so one can't be too greedy on Russian metal.

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 6):
And you aren't writing in from jail? Did you get that permission or what do you think of the situation?

Yup, and they've got free wi-fi and all... No, we didn't get any official permission (although it seems to be possible to get those). Using some common sense can work wonders. Be aware that the locals aren't accustomed to planespotters.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks Giovanni. Are the spots quite easy to find with a bit of common sense? I've been told to avoid the perimeter fence as you'll be spotted and probably detained?

Also, what sort of lens power will I need? I have a 100-300 but would rather travel with my 70-200.

Cheers,

Karl

One little thing I forgot.....

I will be avoiding the weekend due to my work - will this make any difference? Please don't tell me the Russians only come on Sat/Sun.....  crossfingers 

[Edited 2010-07-13 05:53:02]

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Well, I took the plunge and booked 5-7th Sep, which gives me two full days out there (6th and 7th). Found a really useful site which details all movements (including some cargo) for the past two days and for the next two days. It also included arrival times...

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airpor.../airportDetails.do?airportCode=AYT

Looking at this (and I can't see early Sep being much different) Mon/Tue actually look better for Russian arrivals than Wed/Thu, which is why I chose the two days as opposed to the three 7-10th (Wed/Thu/Fri).

Karl

mirage

Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:14 pm

I did a little research about Antalya 2 weeks ago, my advice is don't take photos near the fence, there are vigilance towers... here's a map a fellow portuguese spotter made with the spots he used to take photos there:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...eRomeoATC/fotos%20diversas/AYT.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...RomeoATC/fotos%20diversas/AYT2.jpg

Luis

GVerbeeck

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:13 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 8):
I will be avoiding the weekend due to my work - will this make any difference? Please don't tell me the Russians only come on Sat/Sun.....
Quoting JakTrax (Reply 9):
Looking at this (and I can't see early Sep being much different) Mon/Tue actually look better for Russian arrivals than Wed/Thu, which is why I chose the two days as opposed to the three 7-10th (Wed/Thu/Fri).

Hi Karl, sorry, late reply, didn't check the msg board for a couple of days...
Saturday is generally the best day and I've been looking up the traffic on a regular basis and found that Tuesday seems to be pretty good as well, like you said. Didn't know Flightstats showed most of the traffic - not all flights are listed here, but I think they're close. This one does the trick as well: http://www.aytport.com/en/flights.aspx?t=1

For September, you will see some companies switching to smaller eqt or fewer flights. DNV will be more 737s, SDM 320 iso 767 and TSO 767s iso 747s on some services.

You've got the maps with the spots, they're all out of sight of the perimeter. Good luck on your trip, if you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a line.

EDIT: At all spots you'll need 100-400 analog, 70-200 on APS with some cropping will be ok as well.

[Edited 2010-07-15 18:15:35]

JakTrax
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks again Giovanni. Are the spots Mirage details the same spots you used to take your example images above? My main travelling lens is my 70-200, although I do have a (much larger and heavier) 100-300. I use them on a 50D (1.6x FOVCF).

What sort of lens power will I need for, say, a Tu-154? And an Il-86? I take it the 86s will still be operating in September?

Thanks,

Karl

GVerbeeck

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 12):
Thanks again Giovanni. Are the spots Mirage details the same spots you used to take your example images above? My main travelling lens is my 70-200, although I do have a (much larger and heavier) 100-300. I use them on a 50D (1.6x FOVCF).

What sort of lens power will I need for, say, a Tu-154? And an Il-86? I take it the 86s will still be operating in September?

The spots are more or less the same, you can have a look around in the village to find a better spot where the planes are slightly lower in frame. Depending on which spot you stay (morning and afternoon), you need like 190mm - 250mm for an IL86 and 220mm - 300mm for a TU5. This is on an FF camera, so you can do the math. Note that you'll see lots and lots of 737s and 320s which require even more mms.

I don't know about the IL86s in September, last year there were less, at least. In June we had like 10 IL86-flights per day.