Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sezer
Topic Author

Need Spotting Tips For FAO

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi folks!

I need some informations about spotting at Faro. I've found just one site and in this have I read, that the observation deck is closed. Is this still current? And the spotting point at rwy 28 is the only which I could find. Can I reach this location without a car?

It would be great when I get an information in the next hours, because else I couldn't book a cheap flight 

mirage

RE: Need Spotting Tips For FAO

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:00 pm

You better come here fast because from November until March, movements are sparse.

The observation deck is history due to works in the terminal, forget it.

Best choice is to rent a car and drive to the south of the runway, there is a dirt road paralell with the runway, in google maps it's very easy to spot it. From this road you have some good options for photography, either for rwy 28 or 10 no ladder is needed.

If you don't want to rent a car, there is a bus stop near rwy 10 threshold but our bus service is not quite frequent, you better rent a car.

Hope this helps
Luis

Sezer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:09 pm

The problem is I can't rent a car. Unless it is allowed in FAO to drive a car without a license. :-p

Hmm, also no options beside the Bus?

PS: I would come in January. Now have I no time  

mirage

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Well, I don't want to disapoint you but I have to be sincere, don't come here in January for plane spotting. January is good for tourism in Algarve but planes are not interesting.

The only option I see is for you to stay at "Aeromar" hotel in Faro beach and from there the walking distance to spotting points is acceptable.

http://www.aeromar.net/en/index.php

Luis

[Edited 2010-09-29 12:22:46]

Sezer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks for link!

I don't can get a cheap ticket other times beside in January. And else it's not very profitable for me, at this time. When begins and ends the best traffic seasons?

Maybe I fly to LIS and from there with the train to FAO. I have see - few days ago - that the train tickets are not so expensive at that journey. And at this time can I spotting at LIS, too. Ok it would be greater to fly to FAO direct for not so many money, but when the traffic is low at this time, it's really not profitable.

I think the Hotel can be a good, idea. Thanks for this.

[Edited 2010-09-29 12:40:21]

[Edited 2010-09-29 12:41:37]

mirage

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:38 pm

The best traffic season here is IATA Summer, from April to October.

Fastest train from Lisboa to Faro is 21 Euros, it's a 4 hour travel.

See this image to get an idea of distance between Aeromar hotel and the spotting points, the red dot is the hotel, point A is close and good when rwy 10 is in use, also good for rwy 28 landings. Point B is good when rwy 28 is in use, also good for rwy 10 landings, in both points you don't need a ladder. Keep in mind the most used runway here is 28.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/rosa_luis/Untitled-1-3.jpg

Luis
P.S. also keep in mind the road from the hotel to point A is very narrow, be careful with vehicles passing by.

[Edited 2010-09-29 14:41:12]

Sezer
Topic Author

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks a lot for grafic, Luis!

I will see how I do it with transportation. Thx