Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RonS
Topic Author

What's Your Worst Comment Recieved?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:50 am

I've had some interest in this type of thread for a while, wondering what other's worst comments are. Suresh's recent thread about his "horrible" comment he received prompted me to finally post this since it was on my mind.

First though, I am extremely fortunate to have recieved some wonderful comments from many of you. It is much appreciated and I want to thank everyone for the time they spend commenting on photos and their positive remarks. It is truly the best thing about Anet in my opinion, the friendly positive comments.

However, sometimes people recieve some negative ones. It doesn't bother me, just thought it would be interesting and fun for everyone to share! Please show me your photos and the comments if you're so inclined. I have to two to share...feel free to agree or disagree!  
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ronald J Stella

" A visitor from - posted Thu February 4, 2010: [Remove]
Why use long exposure and make the shot absolutely uncomprehensible. A very bright example of using artistry for artistry. One star."

I'm not sure what I could have done differently. This was taken at night, pitch black except for the aircrafts own lights shining at me. I also wanted to show the C-5 being loaded along with the contents inside the C-5. I think I accomplished both of these things, but do wonder what I could have done differently.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ronald J Stella

" A visitor from Czech Republic posted Wed October 21, 2009: [Remove]
A great capture!!! I just hope that the lights weren't added in Photoshop. Thanks for sharing!"

This one made me laugh. How in the world would I create the strobes in PS? If it's not in the editing guide, I don't know how to do it! lol. Seriously, who would have time to do something like that? funny stuff.

aussie18

RE: What's Your Worst Comment Recieved?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:55 am

I think my worst comment was on this shot accusing me of making a fake photo in photoshop,I did find it funny that the person commented actually emailed me requesting me to send him the actual photo or he would reveal to a.net how it is fake...Obviously I didnt send him the photo am I still waiting for him to reveal to the world how its a fake.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark H

Cheers Mark

cpd

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:29 am

Quoting aussie18 (Reply 1):
I think my worst comment was on this shot accusing me of making a fake photo in photoshop,

That's no fake - that's about as real as it gets!

I also photographed the same thing Mark - on the same day, same time. I was much further away waiting for a Meridian DC-8 to get moving, which it unfortunately didn't until a very long time after this. Even if I'd got the same photo from the same place, I wouldn't have attempted to upload it, I would have worried about the trees causing a motive rejection.

I haven't had any bad comments so far, thankfully. But I've had some roaringly funny comments though:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris P Denton

The comment about this is what happens when a plane has flatulence.   I think I have an idea about who made that comment. Big grin

[Edited 2010-10-09 19:39:58]

dvincent

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:32 am

Someone once mocked my sense of humor. I responded by deleting their comment.  

Silver1SWA

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 am

My worst comment was actually an email I received regarding this shot....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Pastorino

The email simply said, "Your photoshop skills are pretty decent."

I replied with, "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08G4z63PShc (forward to 1:50)

But thanks anyway.

-Ryan"

He apologized. I just thought it was funny.

IBOAviator

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:19 am

Quoting aussie18 (Reply 1):

Still one of the best on a.net though... I think whenever people make such comments about obviously stunning photographs, they make them in anger that they couldn't dream of capturing such a shot like it. It's those kind of people that purely thrive on finding fault in the work of others because it triumphs anything they could do.

Just my 2   

Psych

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:42 am

Hello Ron.

I hope all is well with you.

I received an interesting comment which made me smile. It related to one of my most popular photos:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Markman

It says (I left it up so hopefully others could see the irony too):
'........ Poor photo in my opinion. The photo gives a false perception of the aircraft.'

Thankfully other viewers commenting replied for me. Clearly the visitor did not seem to understand that this was the whole point of the motive.

Each to their own.

I recall having another comment to a photo that I thought was inappropriate. I deleted - obviously from my mind too because I cannot now recall what it said at all   .

Cheers.

Paul

ThierryD

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:00 am

Hi guys,

interesting thread indeed and I can assure you that we receive even more weird and even the weirdest stuff in the comment section.
When it comes to bad comments we do of course try to filter them out as good as possible but with the huge amount of comments we receive some slip through from time to time. On the other side we might sometimes have a slightly different opinion about what's bad than the photographer him-/herself. E.g. for Ron's first photo I'd have let it in it as being an allowable critique.

However whenever you feel that unacceptable comments were posted somewhere, please let us know at support ([email protected]) and we'll have a look at it.

Cheers,

Thierry

damien846

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:14 am

Not a bad comment more of a silly question...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Damien Dyer-Air Frame Photography

"So, where are the aircraft?!

SNATH

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:11 am

Hey Ron,

Great thread!

Quoting RonS (Thread starter):
I just hope that the lights weren't added in Photoshop.

Man, adding strobes in Photoshop is a lot of work! It took me forever to add them to this one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Printezis

I have to say I haven't got any totally ridiculous comments. The only one I was disappointed with was:

"Good night, but I don't like the old plane"

on this shot (if anything else, that trijet outline adds to the shot IMHO!!!)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Printezis

Tony

walter2222

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Nice thread!

No bad comments, so far.

This one was a funny one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Walter Van Bel

A visitor from United States posted Sat March 8, 2008:
Part of a tower rating was sitting on rotating beacon while lit and rotating. real warm after a couple of seconds. bit tower 78-81.

Best regards,

Walter

INNflight

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:06 pm

Worst I had was an e-mail from an ex-uploader here two or three years ago about how I should just once STFU instead of spamming the site with lame and too long remarks with my photos, followed by a (insert nice four-letter word) you and have a good day.

I am still writing long photo captions - uh oh.  

UltimateDelta

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:46 pm

I haven't gotten any in the pics, but a now-former member once wrote a long rant about my first picture in the thread I started over it. He basically said he couldn't understand why the screeners would accept one like it because it was boring, common, etc. and if I wanted it on the internet, it should have stayed on Photobucket and Flickr. I think I said that well, the screeners did accept it, so what are you gonna do about it?

Getting negative comments is almost kinda fun  

gabik001

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:08 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gabriel Widyna

I received a comment like this:

"A visitor from United Kingdom posted Wed March 4, 2009:
A great flightsim capture!  "

This is not worst comment but little bit confusing me , on other forum this photo was questionable that comes from flightsim...

zbot69

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:49 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 7):
When it comes to bad comments we do of course try to filter them out as good as possible

Now there's an interesting comment. What's the definition of a "bad" comment? Does DM issues guidelines? Or is it editorial discretion.

ThierryD

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:01 am

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 14):
Now there's an interesting comment. What's the definition of a "bad" comment? Does DM issues guidelines? Or is it editorial discretion.

Martin,

the Support crew is mainly working out the guidelines by itself.

We generally consider as a "bad" comment everything that doesn't fit the comment rules as stated in the comment pop-up window and stuff like swearing, name calling, embedded URL links and political statements.

We also delete comments that only ask a question about the photo or anything related to it as we don't want discussions taking place in the comment section. We have enough forums to discuss all possible subjects and that's where it should take place.

Might sound confusing and a bit harsh but it's basically pretty simple; the photo comment section is there to leave a comment along with your star rating. This can be a good one or also an honest critique if understandable arguments are brought forward.

Cheers,

Thierry

zbot69

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:59 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 15):
We also delete comments that only ask a question about the photo or anything related to it as we don't want discussions taking place in the comment section.

Again... while I appreciate all the hard work that you guys put into A.net, and I hate to come across as the sourpuss again, I can never get over how many of A.net's policies are just wrongheaded.

There are actually quite a few photos in the database that I have questions about... and what better place to ask the question that on the page of the photo in question? What's wrong with having conversations on the photo pages? Entire debates even? Imagine the page views that could ensue from interesting/provocative conversations or debates on photo pages? It's just another opportunity for exposure that goes lost. I'd personally probably spend more time surfing the database just to read the conversation threads, not to mention contribute more comments aside from the usual "great shot/nice light/fantastic photo" blah blah blah. Let's go back to the thread about the "horrible" comment. Let's say a "conversation" was allowed to ensue on that page after the comment. Who knows how many more people get drawn into the site as a result of allowing people to _interact_ more with the site by contributing. With all the trimming and clipping and cutting A.net is more like a bonsai, when with a slightly different approach it could be a redwood.

ThierryD

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Martin,

I honestly doubt that there would be a view increase for photos if discussions were allowed in the comment section compared to having the same discussions in one of our forums, as photos can easily be linked there and most viewers look at the big sized photo than anyway.

When I look at "debates" going on on youtube pages and the like, I really can't be convinced off allowing the same here at A.net. On the other hand, please keep in mind that photos show the personal portfolio of our photographers and they shouldn't be spoiled by discussions of whatever kind that eventually in the end draw away the attention of the picture itself for their own sake.

As already said in my earlier post, we have many different and very active forums where such discussions can take place with the added benefit that they are then all summarized in one place which gives increased overview and are searchable.

Thierry

SNATH

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 16):
Quoting ThierryD (Reply 17):

Martin,

First, the fact that (for better or worse) the comments are tied to the ratings make them an inappropriate mechanism for having a conversation/debate on the picture. Second, I agree with Thierry: I don't think we want to encourage senseless youtube-like back-and-forth on the photo pages. It really would not add much to the photo or the site. I also don't agree with several DM/a.net policies/rules, but the purpose of the comments is fine as is, IMHO.

Tony

LHRSIMON

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:22 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon Curtis

I had some guy ranting at one of my photos. By all accounts as i had commented that i liked the old BA world tails it meant that i was a #### ###### who should be more proud of my country.

How can someone get that angry over the colour of an aircaft  

Anyway it was along time ago and the comment im pleased to say is no longer there.....  Smile

[Edited 2010-10-11 08:28:47]

eksath
Crew

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Quoting SNATH (Reply 18):
I agree with Thierry: I don't think we want to encourage senseless youtube-like back-and-forth on the photo pages. It really would not add much to the photo or the site.

You mean like this? Recently posted on one of my pics, i guess there is some sarcasm in the response. The second poster (from US) is replying to the first ( from Romanian). If there were further responses, the screeners did not let them in. By the way,it is a standard airshow shot so the last line is also a dig.

A visitor from United States posted Thu September 16, 2010:
Quote: "Wow, what kind of jet is that?! Congrats from Romania"

Wow, the name is right under the photo in the description box!

Nice catch! How do you get a photo like that!!!?

zbot69

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:05 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 17):

I am absolutely convinced photo views would increase if you allowed casual viewers an opportunity to participate more with the site via a more enlightened photo comment policy and I'd wager my D90 against it without the slightest hesitation whatever.

Let's revisit Ron's original premise.... what's the worst comment you've ever received? I'd wager the worst comments ever received by anyone are somewhere in the deleted pile of exorcised comments that A.net staff is sitting on by a considerable stretch. I'd love to read that stuff for pure entertainment purposes. Put differently... the most "interesting" content is removed before the public has a chance to interact with it, let alone be aware it even exists.

And I really don't see how referring to the #3 site on the Internet that thrives both in spite of and because of the voluminous amount of content that is generated by its users supports your argument in the slightest.

As to the photographers with "portfolio" concerns... doesn't A.net already allow photographers the opportunity to delete comments they themselves deem unfit or even disable the comments section altogether?

It's all good Thierry. I know perfectly well A.net is conceived to be one thing by its staff and the institutional reluctance to tinker with the concept is tremendous. Which is exactly why I limit my contributions to A.net to that effort that stands a chance of exceeding opportunity cost.

Thanks for taking the time to address my question.

Cheers!!!

cpd

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:53 am

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 21):

I am absolutely convinced photo views would increase if you allowed casual viewers an opportunity to participate more with the site via a more enlightened photo comment policy and I'd wager my D90 against it without the slightest hesitation whatever.

But only if it doesn't come at the expense of Youtube/supercars.net style childishly aggressive comments.

As to the photographers with "portfolio" concerns... doesn't A.net already allow photographers the opportunity to delete comments they themselves deem unfit or even disable the comments section altogether?

If the more free style comments system you are proposing was allowed, I'd turn it off.

Put differently... the most "interesting" content is removed before the public has a chance to interact with it, let alone be aware it even exists.

And that's a good thing - because otherwise, that 'content' (which I take to be the bad comments) might well drive away a lot of photographers. I barely have enough time to contribute some photos to here, I don't want to spend more time needing to moderate flame wars between visitors making comments. I did that on another site, and after a while it becomes exhausting. It's a whole lot of extra pain for not much gain.

[Edited 2010-10-11 20:54:06]

Chukcha

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:10 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 22):
If the more free style comments system you are proposing was allowed, I'd turn it off.

Me too.

Quoting cpd (Reply 22):

Put differently... the most "interesting" content is removed before the public has a chance to interact with it, let alone be aware it even exists.

And that's a good thing - because otherwise, that 'content' (which I take to be the bad comments) might well drive away a lot of photographers.

Exactly right. After spending hours and hours editing photos, after many rejections, when the photo is finally accepted, the last thing you want is for some half-wit to write a stupid negative or aggressive comment.

I am absolutely convinced photo views would increase

I definitely don't want the views of my photos to increase like that. Hit counter only makes sense when the photo is visited to see the photo itself, not to read the next comment on it.

Oftopic:
cpd, what is it with certain A.net photographers moving to Greenland lately   ? You are not the first one. Are you guys starting a settlement of the like-minded   ? If so, I'd love to join you there  ...

Pascalstil

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm not lucky enough to have received a single comment on my photos yet. So also no bad comments ,but I have a good laugh over some comments I've seen.

zbot69

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 22):
Quoting Chukcha (Reply 23):

I'd never recommend blanket policies. Quite the opposite. I'm merely suggesting that those photographers who are comfortable with "Youtube style" comments be granted the leeway to host them... and everyone else can comfortably continue along with the current regime. You see... while you may "enjoy" the status quo... I'd simply prefer to share my content with the widest audience possible, by any means available... especially when those means can be achieved quickly and cheaply. I think Andrei's comment about dissecting motivations for who or how or what drives photo views amusing. It appears the aphorism "no such thing as bad publicity" hasn't penetrated the mainstream aviation photography community quite yet. But there's _no argument_. I'm not advocating that _you_ are forced to accept an expanded comments section on photo pages. I'm asking that I am afforded the chance to do so because I'm quite comfortable with Youtube style juvenility and I am 100% convinced it would neither diminish the photo itself or affect A.net's standing as the Parthenon of aviation photography.

Have you actually taken the time to follow up on hyperlinks to your photos? Haven't you noticed that many links lead directly to other forums? And that _in_ those forums your photo is being discussed or commented on far beyond the grasp of the A.net editorial regime whether you like it or not. Why not afford _an opportunity_ for those debates to build around your image right here? Why even allow the momentum your photo created to dissipate to other fora? Never mind. Whatever.I am mooooooore than aware of the tremendous reluctance by all present to tinker with the sacred and holy Best Aviation Website On The Internet concept. Duly noted. Got it.

cpd

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 25):
Have you actually taken the time to follow up on hyperlinks to your photos? Haven't you noticed that many links lead directly to other forums?

I do follow them when I'm able to. Most of the times it takes me to the brick wall AKA the forum login screen.  

It's a shame we can't manually configure those types of sites that must also login to view our photos on here - just to repay the favour.  

zbot69

Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:57 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 26):

I do follow them when I'm able to. Most of the times it takes me to the brick wall AKA the forum login screen.

You know what's funny Chris... you joke about that... but your response points out the obvious right away. Your photo has generated momentum that is beyond your grasp. You can't even "spin" it because really there is no platform to do it on A.net, in spite of Thierry's protestations. There is no dedicated platform on A.net, aside from the photo pages themselves... to enjoy conversations _about_ the photos, however those may run.

And one more note... going back to these Youtube boogeyman fears.... I was actually thinking more along the lines of a Marketwatch.com, BBC.com, or MSNBC.com. They all allow far more generous user participation through the comments section on every single news article's page than anything A.net dares to attempt. In fact... most grown up sites allow it. Involve your audience in the process. It's so glaringly obvious I don't even understand why I have to keep belaboring this.

Cheers.

paulinbna

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:32 am

To get back on subject.

I have not had any negative comments but I do get questions all the time about how much I am selling a aircraft for.

GPHOTO

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:26 am

Quoting paulinbna (Reply 28):
I have not had any negative comments but I do get questions all the time about how much I am selling a aircraft for.

Amazing that isn't it? I wish I really did get to own an aircraft every time I take a photo of it. I could earn a fortune reselling them.....as long as another photographer didn't take another photo first and steal ownership from me.

Unfortunately, as well as receiving such things via my photographs, I also receive them via crew e-mail as well. Offers to buy planes, applications for training courses, job applications etc. I really do wonder what people are thinking at times.

Best regards,

Jim

ThierryD

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:00 pm

It's all good Thierry. I know perfectly well A.net is conceived to be one thing by its staff and the institutional reluctance to tinker with the concept is tremendous.

Martin, the staff is just as interested in having a successful and enjoyable site as the non-staff contributors and we are open to any kind of ideas an will definitely implement good ones as we have proven in the past.

I and my fellow colleagues (and apparently many other guys here) however don't think your idea of allowing all sorts of photo comments in would bring the site forward. The aphorism "no such thing as bad publicity" might be true for some but it's mainly for people who are desperate and would do anything to get some attention; I don't think A.net falls into that category.

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 25):
Have you actually taken the time to follow up on hyperlinks to your photos? Haven't you noticed that many links lead directly to other forums?

Exactly! "To other forums" and that's where those discussions belong. We have 10 different forums and a live-chat so I can't comprehend your claim that "there is no platform to do it on A.net". 10 forums which btw are missing on sites like youtube or bbc and which might be the reason why they allow a greater freedom of commenting on their articles or videos.

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 27):
Involve your audience in the process.

Hardly any site has so much involvement of its users as A.net (photo contributions, comments, forum threads, chat, facebook, twitter, ...), so that's definitely an argument that won't stand!

Quoting GPHOTO (Reply 29):
Offers to buy planes, applications for training courses, job applications etc. I really do wonder what people are thinking at times.

Indeed!  

Thierry

RonS
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 30):
We have 10 different forums and a live-chat so I can't comprehend your claim that "there is no platform to do it on A.net".

I'm not taking a stance on this argument. I will say one thing though, in order to have that platform to have a truly open dialogue, the forums need to be a little less controlled. They do certainly get heated at times, but it's also nice not to have locked out, modded and deleted threads and rather just have a little bit more unrestricted discussion.

But back on track.

I just got this one, thought it was funny. I'm not saying this is a 5 star gem or anything, but hey dude, I don't really need to know you only gave me 3 stars! LOL

A visitor from - posted Wed October 13, 2010: [Remove]
Only 3 Stars!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ronald J Stella

Hey man, 1/15th f/4 ISO 500 after sunset no easy feat when the aircraft is taxiing too!    lol

ThierryD

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Quoting RonS (Reply 31):
I just got this one, thought it was funny. I'm not saying this is a 5 star gem or anything, but hey dude, I don't really need to know you only gave me 3 stars! LOL

In defense of my fellow support guys, I gotta say that I let this one in. I thought that if already he only gives you 3 stars, it would be just as good if you know about it.  
Quoting RonS (Reply 31):
Hey man, 1/15th f/4 ISO 500 after sunset no easy feat when the aircraft is taxiing too!

Oh come on, anybody can do this... if his name is Ron Stella..!  
Quoting RonS (Reply 31):
I'm not taking a stance on this argument. I will say one thing though, in order to have that platform to have a truly open dialogue, the forums need to be a little less controlled.

That discussion will have to be held with the moderators...  

Thierry

zbot69

Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 30):

Ha ha ha... Thierry... it's all good man. You guys do what you gotta do. But I stand by every. Last. Word. Oh hey, happened to find this little bit browsing Wired.com today... Zomaar even... as they say in the low countries....

Nick Bilton, on media trends:

"The future has to involve our networks, where it comes to content consumption or creation, or else it’s missing a fundamental piece of the story. When someone goes to Facebook they can comment on their friend’s photos or comment on an article; there’s all these sites that allow conversation. Yet a product like the WIRED magazine application still doesn’t have that...."

Full article here: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/10/nick-bilton-author

And Ron... to answer your question. The worst comment to a photo I ever got? The photos with no comments at all.

captainstefan

Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:18 pm

I personally just don't like it when people complain about the use of the A.net watermark on the pictures. It's my picture, and I'd prefer if someone wanted to use it that (a) I be assured credit or (b) I be paid for it.

757MDE

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:08 am

Quoting GPHOTO (Reply 29):
Unfortunately, as well as receiving such things via my photographs, I also receive them via crew e-mail as well. Offers to buy planes, applications for training courses, job applications etc. I really do wonder what people are thinking at times.

I am the favorite recipient for African-president-just-died money.