Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pascalstil
Topic Author

What Makes People View Your Photos?

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:54 pm

There are so many thousands of great photos on this site, that even after getting some accepted, it is interesting to see how the number of views develop.
My first photo that was an Air France A320, accepted just over a year ago, and has 641 views. Since then I have 6 more photos accepted, and the most recent one was a KLM MD11, just 2 months ago, which already has 722 views.
Then I look at what I consider the best of the seven photos I have on here, an Easyjet A319, added last may, which has less than 300 views.
Of course I understand that each of my photos does not show anything special, and there are many similar photos, but I am wondering what it is that some "common" photos get so much more views than others, so I hope to hear from some people what it is that makes them view one photo and not another

cpd

RE: What Makes People View Your Photos?

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:02 pm

People probably view my photos, well, I don't know who would want to look at mine, they aren't particularly special.  

The general trend to get a high hitting photo is to include some or all of the following elements:

- IL-86VKP (or other Russian plane)
- F-111 doing dump and burn
- A380
- Iranian airliner or fighter plane
- B787 Dreamliner
- B747-8
- Cabin view

So get a photo with with all those elements in the image and you'll have the highest hitting photo of all time!  

zbot69

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Pascal,

It's quite simple. There are scores of social media platforms outside of A.net where photographers interact with each other, and many of them support each other on A.net through those sites, so that if someone for example posts an average or so-so photo by general A.net standards, as soon as it's picked up by the photog's peer group outside of A.net it zips along comfortably in terms of photo views.

Chris has also pointed out common themes that seem to be all the rage in aviation... A380, Russian aviation, bald guys in business class...

Don't discount the power of other media as an opportunity to advance your work. Hook up with more friends and support each other and you'll be surprised how much wider your audience becomes.

Cheers!!

Pascalstil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:33 pm

Of course those criteria are good, i'm sure a recent photo of a Concorde would also work great, but my main reason for this thread is why there still is so much difference in the number of people viewing the photos that are good enough for the site, but don't have the extra bit that attracts lots of viewers.

cpd

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 2):
Don't discount the power of other media as an opportunity to advance your work. Hook up with more friends and support each other and you'll be surprised how much wider your audience becomes.

Yes, Facebook is a huge one, Twitter also seems a noteworthy one.

One of my recent high hitting photos had a huge amount of traffic from Facebook. None of this was any kind of traffic I had any hand in creating or starting off. As some of you are aware, I'm not really very fond of any kind of social networking (I see it as invasion of my privacy).

Another one which is an older photo (but previously a high hitting one) also had a huge resurgence in traffic in the wake of that Qantas B747 engine failure incident coming out of the USA recently. It got at least another 3000 hits per day, which would have been enough to push it onto the front page of the site. Why? It was a picture of a B747 with the 5th pod installed (ferrying spare engine). As you can see, the power of current news is a huge factor in generating traffic for your images.

I don't heavily promote my photos, other than having a generic link to the photo search for my name on a few selected forums that I also visit. I leave it up to other people to decide if my photo(s) are worthy of viewing or not. I'm not a member of any spotting/photographer groups, so I cannot use those to push more traffic to my photos.

[Edited 2010-10-12 17:00:38]

[Edited 2010-10-12 17:02:05]

zbot69

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:05 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 4):

I here ya. I always find myself sitting in business class with my camera uselessly sitting on my lap cause I can't work up the nerve to photograph the bald dude in front of me to work it into a viewable cabin shot. So many missed opportunities.

cpd

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:16 am

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 5):
I here ya. I always find myself sitting in business class with my camera uselessly sitting on my lap cause I can't work up the nerve to photograph the bald dude in front of me to work it into a viewable cabin shot. So many missed opportunities.

My job doesn't have me travelling around the world at all - so I just don't get those opportunities. While I know what to do in order to create workable cabin views or flight deck photos, it's just something I don't normally photograph. What I do like to do is use low-shutter speeds, to create those "panning" type photos with background very much motion blurred.

In each batch of 10 or so images I upload, I try to put at least 1 or 2 in like that, but sometimes more. Another sure fire way to get more hits is to take photos in low light, or otherwise, takes photos in unusual light conditions.

[Edited 2010-10-12 17:19:35]

RonS

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:54 am

A common aircraft with a interesting and unique background will add views.

A rare aircraft on a common background will generate views.

An interesting comment I personally believe will also add views.

Anything different I believe will add views as well.

sovietjet

Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:07 am

Russian military aircraft (most, but especially bombers)
Iranian fighter jets
A380
B787
B747-8
cabins - this one I personally just don't get why is so popular
cockpits of airliners
unusual lighting/panning/motive
air-to-air
rare aircraft
new livery
accidents
airport overviews
wing views overlooking airport/city or just with amazing scenery or lighting

The above categories account for I'd say about 95% of all top photos

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:55 am

Well, lately...nothing. The crowd here are getting more selective in what they watch, a few years ago it felt like any added photo got 1000 views, and if it was a heavy, 2000 views were not uncommon in the first 24 hours and still didn't make it top 5. Now it's very often a sub 1000 hits image ends up top 5. What I would like to know is if the hit count/ visitor count is lower nowadays, compared to 2-3 years ago. Also would like to know stats before/after Demand Media acquired Anet.

spencer

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:25 am

I look out for certain photographers and anything that catches my eye. Also new angles from airports I go to.
Spence.

cpd

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:42 am

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 9):
What I would like to know is if the hit count/ visitor count is lower nowadays, compared to 2-3 years ago. Also would like to know stats before/after Demand Media acquired Anet.

Even a panning shot gets barely 250-300 views unless it is a very rare plane or done in very low light.

I think they fixed the hit counter so it gave more realistic account of the views your images get. It's a miracle to get 10,000 hits in the first 24 hours now - unless it is a special new colour scheme (or the B787 / B747-8).

ZakHH

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 4):
Yes, Facebook is a huge one, Twitter also seems a noteworthy one.

One of my recent high hitting photos had a huge amount of traffic from Facebook. None of this was any kind of traffic I had any hand in creating or starting off. As some of you are aware, I'm not really very fond of any kind of social networking (I see it as invasion of my privacy).

Technically, so are friends...  

Usually, I will upload new photos to my homepage first, and then post the link on Facebook. That will usually get me a few hundred views. If I have a very good feeling about a shot, I will also upload it here. I have been a bit lazy with editing and uploading during summer, but I hope that I will find the time to upload another batch soon (and hopefully, a few of them will be accepted as well   ).

Out of curiosity, how many of you use Facebook to publish photos?

LHRSIMON

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:37 pm

If there is something in the background that you cannot see very well on the thumbnail will always result in many many more hits than normal. I have a QF 744 with a full T5 in the back ground. Result , lots of hits.

"Oh what's that in the background syndrome" is a powerful click magnet.  

RonS

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 12):

I use Twitter, @RonStella if anyone wants to follow. Sometimes people are nice enough to re-tweet it. Sometimes that Facebook app or whatever will pick it up. If I had Facebook I would post the link there as well, I just don't have it.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 4):

Well, Airliners is on Facebook, and if it was a high hitter it's very possible that the picture was posted there by them. I've had one shot appear there   Which one, I can check if it's there if you want  
Quoting ZakHH (Reply 12):

FB/user agreement allows them to use your images for advertising purposes etc, so no I don't.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Chris, was it the Fuel dump and burn? That one was on there, don't even need to check as I remember it appearing in my feed.

ZakHH

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 15):
FB/user agreement allows them to use your images for advertising purposes etc, so no I don't.

Right, that's why I would not recommend to upload photos directly to Facebook. But what I do there is posting a link to the photo post on my homepage. That automatically includes a thumbnail. That way, I can use Facebook without giving them any direct access to my photos.

If anybody wants to add me on Facebook - my real name should be visible in my profile here.

RonS

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 9):
What I would like to know is if the hit count/ visitor count is lower nowadays, compared to 2-3 years ago.

Many things are true, and this is likely one of them. Additionally there are many competitors to the two big aviation photo sites. So some views go to other types of sites, Picasa, Flickr, FB, etc.

However, this site remains the premier aviation photo / DB site. The quality and content is amazing.

viv

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:46 pm

I presume that people view my photos because they like them.

javibi

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 6):
"panning" type photos with background very much motion blurred.

Maybe things have changed, but that was never a recipe to get more hits. Or to raise your acceptance ratio, for that matter.

j

captainstefan

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:15 pm

IMO, the photos that make the top 5 usually are those confusing to the eye when seen in thumbnail format. (Unless it's a visually stunning photo) I usually click on pictures that confuse me, or where I can't quite tell what is going on in the picture. I think this happened with one of my own (photo 1776162) - people were confused... why did it say B-17? What WAS it? From the thumbnail version, it is nearly impossible to tell that there is an airborne B-17 between the camera and the ground. Just my    .