Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dave1
Topic Author

Anyone Using The Sigma 18-125mm?

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:58 am

Does anyone in the forum have any experience using the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC OS HSM lens?

I'm after a decent all-round lens, partly for photographing aircraft, but also for general use. I had thought the Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS would fit the bill perfectly, but after reading Karl's thread below and other reviews, it seems there are some autofocus issues with this lens:

Alternative To The 24-105L? (by JakTrax Feb 2 2011 in Aviation Photography)

The Canon 24-70 f/2.8 is an option, but ideally wanted a bit more range, so I am considering the Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS or Sigma 18-125 f/3.5-5.6 DC OS HSM. What sort of quality can I expect from the Sigma? Will it be comparable (or perhaps even better) to the Canon 28-135?

Any comments are much appreaciated.

Thanks,
Dave.

[Edited 2011-02-19 02:59:12]

JakTrax

RE: Anyone Using The Sigma 18-125mm?

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Dave,

My third copy of the 24-105 is much better, and although still prone to producing the odd soft image occasionally I have been generally confident in its ability to produce sharp results. I think the issue is with the quality control rather than the lens itself, and I doubt the mainly plastic construction helps. Some good ones out there but also some real stinkers I guess!

I'm happy with the current example, however I'm reluctant to agree that it's worth the asking price. Sharper than my old 28-105 for sure and the IS is great (no panning mode though) but I really can't say it's up to the build quality of other Ls. I too looked at the 24-70 but I have no real use for the 2.8, and besides, 70mm at the long end just isn't enough for my 'small' lens. The 18-135 sparked some interest until I saw the build quality; as did the 28-135, which admittedly still captivates me.

Unfortunately in my thread (which you refer to above) no-one seemed to have experience with the 28-135 - or if they did they were keeping it a secret! It'd still be interesting to know what peoples' opinions of this lens are.

Cheers,

Karl

dazbo5

Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Quoting dave1 (Thread starter):
I had thought the Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS would fit the bill perfectly, but after reading Karl's thread below and other reviews, it seems there are some autofocus issues with this lens

I'm sure you've read my coments on the other topic, but the 24-105 f/4 L is a cracking lens. I know Karl had a few issues with the first couple of examples, but as long as you get a good copy (I've only had one), the results more than speak for themselves. The only problems with the 24-105 as an everyday lens, if you're using it on a crop body, 24mm isn't all that wide. I carry a 10-20mm with me as well and find I use that nearly as much as the 24-105 on my travels. Depending on what you are wanting, the 18-125 might suit you bettter, I have no experience with it though. I also looked at the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 but like Karl says, 70mm isn't really long enough and unless you need f/2.8, there are other options.

Darren

mirage

Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Sorry Dave but the 24-105 doesn't have any autofocus issues, I have one, it's a super lens, each shoot is a winner, something not possible with my previous 28-135.

Luis

JakTrax

Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Quoting mirage (Reply 3):
Sorry Dave but the 24-105 doesn't have any autofocus issues

I really wouldn't go that far - I'm on my third one and the two before it had AF issues like you've never seen! I'm glad that some of you out there got a good copy from the outset but I can tell you now that bad copies do exist! The one I have now is pretty good, but of the three L series lenses I own it is the poorest in terms of value and build quality. Image quality is very good though (only a pinch behind my amazing 70-200 f/4), but I do think that the AF system isn't quite as accurate as those in the 70-200s and 100-400. Then again wide-angles are never going to be as sharp as tele-photos so no surprise there.

If the price was £500-£600 I think it would be fair to describe the 24-105 as a cracker, but at £800+ I feel it isn't the best value - especially when taking into account the fact that the superb 70-200 f/4 can be had for £500.

If the price doesn't bother you it's about the best lens in its category (there are few true alternatives), but if purchasing one I'd strongly recommend you do as I did and make arrangements with the shop about returning any duff copies. If I'd have had to settle for the first example I got I'd be screaming blue murder!!!

Park Cameras aren't the cheapest but they are competitive and I have found the service to be first-class. I've bought all my L lenses from them and they have been very amicable with regard to numerous returns if I haven't been satisfied.

Karl