Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Topic Author

New Feature Added To Photo Display

Wed May 04, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi All,

Some of you may have noticed that we have today released a new feature for photos displayed on the site. It is a small change and a positive one for you the photographer.

You should now see at the top and bottom of each photo a small banner with a forward and back button which will enable a user to go to the next or previous photo in your portfolio. It also displays the amount of photos you have in the database.

Now a user has the ability to view all your photos in a manner that is similar to a slideshow. This should increase the reach of your photos and make it easier for a user to view more of your photos.

Thanks and regards

Paul

Plainplane

RE: New Feature Added To Photo Display

Wed May 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Hello Paul,
It is a great feature however because the banner boxes are a different color from the background my eyes go straight to the box instead of to the photo when browsing, is it possible to make the background of the box match the page background?

JakTrax

Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 pm

It is alittle distracting but I doubt there's any way to hide it. I guess it's an inevitable part of having such a feature.

I'm sure we'll get used to it. Perhaps more of a distraction being new.

Karl

jid

Wed May 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Is there any word on photo sales yet btw?

Silver1SWA

Wed May 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Nice feature, but I think it needs some work visually. I don't like the exclusion of the drop shadow. That was one effect that greatly enhanced the display of images.

NWA330nut

Wed May 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Is there any way to go to the next photo from the last? For example, if the picture that I am viewing is the photographer's latest in the database, I would like to be able to click the "Next" button to go to picture number one.

757MDE

Wed May 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 4):
Nice feature, but I think it needs some work visually. I don't like the exclusion of the drop shadow. That was one effect that greatly enhanced the display of images.

My thoughts exactly.

NZ107

Thu May 05, 2011 12:00 am

Quoting Plainplane (Reply 1):
my eyes go straight to the box instead of to the photo when browsing,

Indeed. Making it a little more subtle as to not take one's concentration off the photo itself is sure to be an improvement.

cpd

Thu May 05, 2011 12:08 am

Good idea and a welcome improvement - but in my opinion, it could use a bit more refining. Consider something like the SmugMug mobile browse backwards and forwards feature:

http://reheatimages.smugmug.com/m/

(Navigate to an image, then see the subtle forward and backwards buttons). They are fairly subtle and don't divert your attention from the image.

vikkyvik

Thu May 05, 2011 12:26 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 8):
Good idea and a welcome improvement - but in my opinion, it could use a bit more refining

Very much agreed. I really like the feature, but it is just too intrusive right now. I think it would be better if it wasn't adjoining the actual photo. Messing with the photo borders really screws up my vision of the photo, for some reason, and just makes it less attractive.

Also, do we really need it on both the top AND bottom of the photo? Very much overkill.

Chukcha

Thu May 05, 2011 12:57 am

That's a very nice feature, but I also have to agree that it is a little distracting.

To make it less so, maybe it would make sense to get rid of the banner at the top altogether and only keep the bottom one? Why do we need two of them anyway?

Also, maybe some space could be put between the photo and the banner, to put it in line with the info boxes at the bottom, and then we could maybe have the drop shadow back?

Cheers,
Andrei

Chukcha

Thu May 05, 2011 2:20 am

Sent my previous reply from my netbook; just had another look on a big screen. The distracting effect comes, IMHO, primarily from the top banner. Again, why not remove it, put some space between the bottom one and the photo and make it same width as the info boxes underneath?

It would not be exactly a banner any longer, but the feature would still be just as useful without being intrusive, and the whole page would be more in line with the traditional A.net look.

And of course, we could then have the drop shadow back.

Sorry for repeating some of the previous post, but it was to late to edit it.

Andrei

NZ107

Thu May 05, 2011 3:33 am

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 11):

Most photo sites that I use with a scrolling function have it at the top of the image.. Not that it should make a huge difference whether it would be on top, below or both. Either way, having it as a separate box like how the ratings (if turned on) are displayed on the page sounds like it could be a good way of doing it.

ghajdufi

Thu May 05, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks for the upgrade, I like the new feature.
Did you know that 1600px wide images are partially blocked by the ads on both sides? Or has this issue already been addressed?
HGabor

NIKV69

Thu May 05, 2011 11:47 am

It is a great feature however because the banner boxes are a different color from the background my eyes go straight to the box instead of to the photo when browsing, is it possible to make the background of the box match the page background?

Very obtrusive to me. Takes eye off picture for sure. I would blend it with the blue background and lower it for sure. This site is all about the pics anything distracting to them is counterproductive.

JakTrax

Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 pm

Would it be possible to perhaps hide the ''previous' and 'next' tags until one's mouse cursor hovers over them? Seen a lot of websites that offer this.

Karl

yerbol
Screener

Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 pm

The screen before was pretty fine to me. Clear visible edges of photo and it looked very smart on the color of background. Now it looks like part of the photo  

Chukcha

Thu May 05, 2011 2:29 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 12):
Most photo sites that I use with a scrolling function have it at the top of the image..

Who says that Airliners.net should be like most other sites? Being different is what we like about it.

Samuel32

Thu May 05, 2011 6:06 pm

+1 on a bit distracting.

Good feature, great idea, please keep it. Let it blend more into the background.

Sam,

photopilot

Thu May 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Couple of comments. Like the feature but as others have noted, it's redundant to have it at both top and bottom.

Here's my big issue.

When I click next while on an image, the page re-draws and then I have to scroll again to re-centre the page vertically before I can click next again... repeat ad nauseum.

It would be really nice to have the pointer stationary where you can just click and click and click to move through the images without scrolling to vertically center each image. This is really annoying on a laptop with the touchpad as your pointer device.

thanks

zbot69

Thu May 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Great feature. Simple and brilliant idea. Simple ideas always are the best ones. Can already tell it's working too. How cool is that. Nice one guys. Keep em coming.

[Edited 2011-05-05 13:41:51]

unattendedbag

Thu May 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 10):
maybe it would make sense to get rid of the banner at the top altogether and only keep the bottom one?
Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 14):
I would blend it with the blue background and lower it for sure.

i very much agree with both ideas!

cpd

Thu May 05, 2011 11:57 pm

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 17):
Being different is what we like about it.

I have to meekly suggest that the right approach is to conduct user-experience design and accessibility research to determine what meets the needs of the users before actually going ahead and building a working product. It takes time to do that, but makes it less likely that you need to go back and change things later. If it means that you arrive at similar conclusions to everyone else, then that's okay if it meets the needs of the user and meets accessibility standards.

I say that from experience, as it's what I deal with in my day job.

Chukcha

Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 am

Quoting NWA330nut (Reply 5):
Is there any way to go to the next photo from the last? For example, if the picture that I am viewing is the photographer's latest in the database, I would like to be able to click the "Next" button to go to picture number one.

Not a bad Idea, actually...

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 am

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 6):
Quoting NZ107 (Reply 7):

Hello Silver1SWA, thank you for your post and I also read the one you posted in the site related forum thread too., we are listening. We are also looking into the drop shadow for you, and the others, who have raised the point.

Is there any way to go to the next photo from the last?

Hello NWA330nut, At the moment there is not, so it is not possible to navigate from last to first or first to last. We are also looking into this specific aspect of the feature with a view to having it do what you have suggested.

Quoting ghajdufi (Reply 13):

Hi and thank you for raising this, the issue is being addressed, please feel free to update if it persists.

banner boxes are a different color from the background my eyes go straight to the box instead of to the photo when browsing, is it possible to make the background of the box match the page background?

Hi Plainplane, if you look at the bottom banner the colour of the box is the same as the photo information text box, the top should have been too. That said, quite a few have pointed out the current banner boxes are slightly obtrusive. In response to this we will look to change their colours to match in addition we are also looking to make them blend into the background more.

Quoting Chukcha (Reply 11):

Hi Chukcha, thank you for the points you raise about a seperate box and not a banner. They have been noted.

In the site related forum the question was asked if the banner feature would be available for specific search returns. For example, a search by registration and whether a user is navigated through the search returns. That is not currently the case, it is only for the specific photographers portfolio.

Currently the banner boxes will remain as they are. As noted above we have taken on the feedback provided and our developers will look into the following;

- The ability to navigate from first to last and last to first.
- The return of the shadow drop
- Reviewing the colour of the banner boxes to make them less obtrusive.

When I receive feedback from DM I will be able to post an update though I do not expect this today and it may not be until next week.

Thanks to all of you who have posted.

Regards,

Paul.

Psych

Fri May 06, 2011 6:00 am

There's a lot of good feedback here on how the new feature can be further enhanced. I would be happy to see the top 'banner' go, as I feel this is the one that impacts more on the overall look of the feature. Blending in more would also be a positive development in my view. I can see how viewers will like the feature.

I would like to reinforce the following point:

Quoting photopilot (Reply 19):
When I click next while on an image, the page re-draws and then I have to scroll again to re-centre the page vertically before I can click next again

As far as user experience goes, for me this is something of a negative: you centre the image to view it in its entirety on a smaller screen, click either 'previous' or 'next' and the new photo defaults to the original set up, where the bottom proportion of the photo cannot be seen without re-centring the photo. Thus there is the need to constantly re-centre the images brought up, one by one. I assume on bigger viewing screens this is less of an issue, but if the new photo could be made to appear exactly where the previous one was positioned on the screen that would really enhance the experience of a 'slide show', as described by Paul. I don't think we should underestimate how many people still use the older sized, non-widescreen monitors.

All the best.

Paul

unattendedbag

Fri May 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 19):
When I click next while on an image, the page re-draws and then I have to scroll again to re-centre the page vertically before I can click next again... repeat ad nauseum.

When it reloads "re-draws" the page, it refreshes the ad at the top. If it re-centered the image, you would not see that ad and the site wouldn't make their money.  

NIKV69

Sat May 07, 2011 2:57 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 25):
There's a lot of good feedback here on how the new feature can be further enhanced. I would be happy to see the top 'banner' go, as I feel this is the one that impacts more on the overall look of the feature. Blending in more would also be a positive development in my view. I can see how viewers will like the feature.

I hope so. I still can't get used to how the header was ruined by putting a Google search bar under the left wing of Sam's epic pic. I sure hope they fix this it just takes away from some great pics.   

othic

Sat May 07, 2011 4:29 pm

the image quality looks to be "degraded" now all images is soft/blurry

[Edited 2011-05-07 09:30:28]

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Topic Author

Mon May 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 24):
Quoting 757MDE (Reply 6):
Quoting NZ107 (Reply 7):

Hi All, if you look now you will notice that the drop shadow is back on each photo.

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 24):
Is there any way to go to the next photo from the last?

Hi NWA330nut, you should now be able to navigate from the last to first photo or vice versa.

Thanks and regards

Paul

Silver1SWA

Mon May 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 29):
Hi All, if you look now you will notice that the drop shadow is back on each photo.

Thank you!

Silver1SWA

Tue May 10, 2011 1:19 am

Well, I asked for the drop shadow and they answered so I am appreciative of that. So, I do not want the this to sound like a complaint. I'm just making another suggestion that I feel can further enhance things.

I think the display would look better if somehow the photo, surrounded by the drop shadow, was alone. If you want a next/previous button/bar display, perhaps something else can be worked out where it's not touching the photo. The shadow should serve as a border around the photo, not a border around the entire display.

[Edited 2011-05-09 18:28:19 by srbmod]

Plainplane

Tue May 10, 2011 1:27 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 32):
I think the display would look better if somehow the photo, surrounded by the drop shadow, was alone. If you want a next/previous button/bar display, perhaps something else can be worked out where it's not touching the photo. The shadow should serve as a border around the photo, not a border around the entire display.

Yes agreed. I desire the previous display format if possible.

NIKV69

Tue May 10, 2011 1:47 am

Quoting Plainplane (Reply 32):
Yes agreed. I desire the previous display format if possible.

Yep having both top and bottom border a different color take away from the photo bigtime. Would be better if it was blended in and lowered substantially.

vikkyvik

Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 31):

YES!!!!

Now it looks like the next/previous bar is part of the photo. Completely unnecessary and visually confusing, in my opinion. The last thing you want to do (I would think) is to take anything away from the visual of the photo.

Especially since I just noticed that the next/previous bar doesn't QUITE extend to the end of the photo - looks like it's a pixel or two short on either side. That makes it look even stranger.

With that said, I really do like the feature!

Chukcha

Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 am

I also still believe that the top bar is too intrusive...

Psych

Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 am

Unfortunately it appears the adjustments made by the team in response to our feedback yesterday have resulted in a bug (i.e. new photos added are not accounted for).

Despite the visual issues, with which I agree, I am finding it a useful feature and I can imagine it will facilitate more of our photos to be opened by viewers.

Cheers.

Paul

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2011 6:25 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 30):
Thank you!

You're welcome and thank you for your feedback in these discussions, we do value it.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 31):
Quoting Plainplane (Reply 32):
Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 34):

Again, thank you for the further feedback. As the feature currently stands we will be keeping the banners where they are. As I noted in reply # 24 late last week there were 3 issues that we were initially addressing in response to the feedback received. The 3rd was making the banners less intrusive and we are continuing to look into that.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 33):

We checked on that and the colour of both the banners is the same.

Quoting Psych (Reply 36):

Thank you Paul, Andrei too, for posting the bug in the SR Forum. This has been passed onto the developers but due to time zone I require a little time to revert with a fix and feedback.

Thanks and regards

Paul

NZ107

Tue May 10, 2011 11:51 am

Is it just me or do the medium sized pictures seem smaller than before now that it has the two strips on either side? I think I'm reaching for the 'view large size' button from the preview page more often now.

But it's good to see the return of the drop shadow for starters.

NIKV69

Tue May 10, 2011 4:08 pm

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 37):
We checked on that and the colour of both the banners is the same.

I meant that both borders were a different color than the background of the whole page. Which is also the border for the vertical sides of the pictures. As in reply 34 and 35 also state it's intrusive and takes away from the photograph. This feature is great but really shouldn't be connected to the picture. It could be lower on the page and transparent so it blends with the entire background of the page.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 36):
(i.e. new photos added are not accounted for).

Hi Paul and Andrei, I have updated this in the SR Forum, it is not a bug but rather it takes 24 hours for the cache to update. Your photos are added within that time and I have looked at the examples you kindly provided me with via email and they are now displaying as they should.

Thanks and regards

Paul

Chukcha

Wed May 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 34):
Especially since I just noticed that the next/previous bar doesn't QUITE extend to the end of the photo - looks like it's a pixel or two short on either side.

That bothers me, too. This what creates this illusion - this pixel-wide border around the bar:

http://chukcha63.users.photofile.ru/photo/chukcha63/1205058/xlarge/92926899.jpg

If it was made the same colour as the rest of the bar, it might look much better:

http://chukcha63.users.photofile.ru/photo/chukcha63/1205058/xlarge/92926903.jpg