Nice find Tony! Enjoyed it.

clickhappy

RE: Battle At F-Stop Ridge (Funny)

Mon May 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Very very nice   

codeshare

Tue May 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Very nice. That sounds like a few people taking photos of your average 737 or A320  

KS/codeshare

emmerson

Tue May 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Very amusing...and true. Yes Codeshare you are right !

The amount of 'machine-gunning' I have witnessed at civil spotting sites is beyond belief at time...I interpret it as ..'If I take 6fps per 7 second average visible rolling, take-off and climb-out sequence then out of the 42 RAW shots stored hopefully one of them will make the cut!'

I guess that is the future of DSLR...safety in numbers and less concern or worries about technique !....but when it is digital who cares ?

[Edited 2011-05-24 09:48:24]

[Edited 2011-05-24 09:49:01]

clickhappy

Tue May 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Funny, I only "machine gun" with my film camera. 8.4 FPS.

uisge

Tue May 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Quoting emmerson (Reply 4):
I guess that is the future of DSLR...safety in numbers and less concern or worries about technique !....but when it is digital who cares ?

I often joke that what I lack in ability, I make up for in volume.

SNATH
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 5):
Funny, I only "machine gun" with my film camera. 8.4 FPS.

Hey Royal, so is it actually cheaper to "machine gun" with your film camera, or with an actual machine gun?  

Tony

[Edited 2011-05-24 11:59:04]

clickhappy

Tue May 24, 2011 8:50 pm

I would say the film is still way more. A roll of Provia + a local lab is about $16.00, so that works out to about .45 cents a round. 40 cal ammo is running about $15.00 for 50 rounds, so that is .30 a round. I haven't shot anything automatic in years, but I bet 5.56 costs a bit more, given the ongoing ammo shortages.

alevik

Wed May 25, 2011 12:38 am

The Camera Store is my local camera store! I never realized they made cool videos too.

Thanks for the link Tony!

Dehowie

Wed May 25, 2011 1:45 am

Cool video...
Pity they only had Nikons out there on the bazooka's as the MK4 at 10FPS would give you a definite firepower advantage..ahh the sweet sound of a machinegun!

cpd

Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 am

The amount of 'machine-gunning' I have witnessed at civil spotting sites is beyond belief at time...

Try a single shot of a moving plane in the dark at 1/4sec, lens at maximum aperture, etc. Just one shot, and you've got to get it right - let me know how you go.  

There are times and places for the rapid-fire high speed bursts of photos.

Dehowie

Wed May 25, 2011 3:48 am

Well said Chris...
There are times and places for everything and almost every technique.
Try shooting a single shot of a low vis fighter plane over your head doing 600kts....single shot..i dont think so..

cpd

Wed May 25, 2011 3:56 am

Quoting Dehowie (Reply 12):
There are times and places for everything and almost every technique.

Right.  

But these modern high speed cameras, once you use them - you quickly learn to avoid that rapid-fire technique as much as possible!   Otherwise you end up with too many images. 

I use continuous low mode most of the time, continuous high (9fps) is overkill for most things.   I'm happy with the FPS now, they just have to do something to stop dust. How hard is it to implement a shutter system to automatically close up the camera when you are removing/changing lenses?

I mention that as I've got to do a wet-clean of the sensor thanks to some annoying dust spots that cannot be shifted by a blower.   

[Edited 2011-05-24 21:10:29]

JakTrax

Wed May 25, 2011 7:23 am

When I first made the switch to digital I 'machine-gunned' practically everything, adhering the 'one of them will be okay' theory. And sure enough, one was always decent. But you lose control over the composition by trying to follow the subject, clacking away like there's no tomorrow. These days I find it much better to compose, shoot, then re-compose and shoot again. Sure, I may only end up with two or three shots but they are usually spot on.

But I have to agree that having a fast fps burst is useful - not least for the circumstances outlined above. I still use burst for some creative stuff, as there's very little chance of nailing the shot without it.

Karl

emmerson

Wed May 25, 2011 9:51 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 11):
Try a single shot of a moving plane in the dark at 1/4sec, lens at maximum aperture, etc. Just one shot, and you've got to get it right - let me know how you go.

I can tell you now...not very well !. In addition to the small chance of pulling off the single shot in such conditions (regardless of eqipment) I also don't have a pro-body with suitable ISO performance at 800+ or an f4 capable lens at 300mm+ which would improve the chances ! I do appreciate you also need the talent/practise to go with it (and your pictures confirm you have).

Yes as many have mentioned here, there is a time and a place for 'machine-gunning'. But as I indicated, at civillian spotting locations for routine departures (assume good light), this technique is surely overkill and often at the expense of composition as Karl mentions.

cpd

Wed May 25, 2011 10:27 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 14):
When I first made the switch to digital I 'machine-gunned' practically everything, adhering the 'one of them will be okay' theory. And sure enough, one was always decent

When you have a fast camera, that approach ends up with you deleting so many unwanted photos - doing as you do and just taking a couple in regular situations saves a lot of time later on back at the computer.  

I only use that rapid-fire approach when I need to get a particular shot that needs precise timing or at night which is always tough - and I'm not blessed with the steadiest hands in the business.   I've recently been trying to do those night panning shots without a tripod, handheld on the non VR lens.

zbot69

Wed May 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 11):

See Chris, if they had had your editorial input they would have had some guy in a Ghillie suit hiding in the reeds behind some fixed focal behemoth like a 600 prime with a converter in one shot one kill mode. Maybe next time.

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 14):
When I first made the switch to digital I 'machine-gunned' practically everything

Same. Besides... why not? Fun as all hell. I still machine gun on humid days with lots of vapor... hard to predict, vapor. I can think of a few other conditions where machine gunning is useful. In the end it's just a technique. Just a means to an end. I think people who swear by either technique at the expense at the other are limiting themselves. There are Hong Kong photogs who only shoot single shot in order to preserve their shutter. They miss dozens of gorgeous shots. Example: late summers we head down to the far end of the airfield to shoot rotations with the mountaineous backdrop. Problem is, you can never quite predict the exact point where the aircraft will rotate and which backdrop will offer itself. So if you're standing there with the mindset that you are going to limit yourself to that one capture to save your shutter from adding that one extra cycle... pfff. I mean... what's the point of photography anymore? Just blast away and enjoy yourself. And be flexible.

[Edited 2011-05-25 08:57:01]

Dehowie

Thu May 26, 2011 2:15 am

Quoting zbot69 (Reply 17):
Besides... why not? Fun as all hell. I still machine gun on humid days with lots of vapor... hard to predict, vapor.

Thats the perfect example with flashes of vapour appearing then vanishing its almost the ideal situation when gunning is the order of the day.
Extra flash cards at the ready!!

MidEx216

Thu May 26, 2011 5:09 am

Hmm, I usually go semi-automatic on mine. I rarely ever use it in fully automatic mode.

I should get my old lever-action Fujica fixed one of these days, too.

Dehowie

Fri May 27, 2011 3:08 am

Ahhh lever action film advance now there are some memories!!!

sulman

Fri May 27, 2011 8:09 am

I always remember standing next to a guy at Fairford in 2007 during the Frecce Tricolore display. He had a 20D and a 100-400, and I swear his finger never lifted of the shutter release the entire display. Clack-clack-clack-clack-clack-clack for 20 minutes. I recall thinking "What on earth is he shooting so many frames of?". Horses for courses.

Still think the biggest problem with burst is the shutter obstruction. Things can creep out of the frame as you speed up or slow down your movement due to trying to process the picture.

Still, like any technique it has its requirements. Best tool for the job, and all that.

[Edited 2011-05-27 01:10:26]

ckw

Fri May 27, 2011 11:23 am

Quoting Dehowie (Reply 18):
Thats the perfect example with flashes of vapour appearing then vanishing its almost the ideal situation when gunning is the order of the day.

I don't agree with this in general. When I first got a 1D3 I figured at 10fps getting, say a perfect Red Arrows cross over would be a doddle - just point in the right general direction and fire away. Almost never worked well, and I've never got a perfect cross. Also with the mirror flapping up and down, its harder to see what your shooting.

In any changing situation there is just 1 perfect moment, and it is the photographer's job to nail it. If you are shooting at 10fps at, say 1/100th, 90% of the time the shutter is closed - you have only a 1 in 10 chance of catching that perfect moment. Yes, you may get close - but I find that as frustrating, if not more so, than getting nothing.

Touchdowns are a good example - you really want the moment the tires squeal - not a 1/10th of a second before (useless) or after (though admittedly that might stll look pretty good).

There will always be times when its impossible to anticipate, or other reasons dictate the use of high frame rate (and I don't discount the element of luck!) but I think our aim should always be to anticipate and react instantly.

Cheers,

Colin