Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mirage
Topic Author

Don't Worry With Blurred Photos...

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:03 pm

After this I want something to delete heat haze  http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/10/photos...aves-max-audience-gasping-for-air/

Luis

[Edited 2011-10-13 09:05:23]

lgw340

RE: Don't Worry With Blurred Photos...

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Quoting mirage (Thread starter):
After this I want something to delete heat haze

The person who comes up with decent software that removes heat haze with no 'side affects' will be a very rich person indeed  

C J Goodwin

stevemchey

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 pm

At first I thought this tool might be working on heat haze too... but then I realized that they are using the "direction" of the blur to calculate a sharper image. And sadly, heat haze doesn't have directionality.  

whisperjet

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Probably it is about time to stop deleting blurry images. Who knows what the future will bring  

Stefan

emmerson

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:25 pm

There's something depressing about developments in digital imaging which make the expertise required in capturing and delivering a high quality image a thing of the past, it just seems less satisfying but guess on the plus side the hobby is more accessible and satisfying to many more now.

I can see “use of the unblur tool” being the new “use of shadow/highlight” personal rejection ! I'm sure it will be detectable, at least in early days of the tool  

[Edited 2011-10-13 11:27:46]

spencer

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Emmerson, you've got a point there in what you say. I mean, unless you really screw the shot up totally, there's no real reason with today's programs etc to get some kind of image worthy of upload/print/sale. Sadly, due to this, sales are falling as are prices.
Spence

ThierryD

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:24 pm

Quoting spencer (Reply 5):
Sadly, due to this, sales are falling as are prices.

Spence, time to quit the photographer job and become software developer.  

Thierry

spencer

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Or a B747 pilot....=D
Spence

photopilot

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Sure, but what happens when a photographer "ooops" a photo of a landing jet. It's quite possible to have the direction of the camera vs backgroung left to right, but the moving plane is right to left or up/down movement. How on earth will the program figure that one out. It's variable movement in parts of the frame.

ckw

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Quoting emmerson (Reply 4):
There's something depressing about developments in digital imaging which make the expertise required in capturing and delivering a high quality image a thing of the past

Sort of ... but the technical skills to get a sharp photo can be quickly aquired anyway. When the technology allows all pics to be technically perfect, then the pendulum will swing back towards creativity, and we will start to focus on the picture rather than the pixels.

Cheers,

Colin

JakTrax

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but this Photoshop 'addition' won't correct blur caused by focusing error or similar - rather it will go some way towards correcting movement or camera-shake. The two are different.

Karl

INNflight

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 pm

That's correct Karl.

You still can not fix an out of focus photograph. What that plug-in does is (and I'm still curious to see how successfully on an aviation photograph) try to fix motion blur.

Me thinks Javi had one of these gadgets for years....  

ckw

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 10):
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but this Photoshop 'addition' won't correct blur caused by focusing error or similar - rather it will go some way towards correcting movement or camera-shake. The two are different.

Just give it time ... have a look at this

http://www.focusmagic.com/

Now the quality of the 'fixed' photo is poor, but it does work - I've used it to make a reg readable which was unreadable with normal sharpening. But perhaps more interesting is work being done towards making the original capture sharp by processing the data from the sensor before writing to file.

I would also imaging that government agencies are already using a much better version of the focusmagic technology. Of course that's why this will develop rapidly - its value as an antiterrorism tool is enornous.

Cheers,

Colin

JakTrax

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Great for anti-terrorism but bad (in my opinion) for the photography community. Sure, it'd be good in a way to rescue the odd cocked-up shot from time-to-time, but then the resulting image would no longer really be 'our' image would it?

Everyone will become a master photographer overnight, and as Emmerson says the actual capturing of an image will become a thing of the past. Not good.

Then again, advancements in technology will always cause apprehension initially. I remember for years refusing to use Photoshop as it felt like cheating. I guess progress eventually creeps into the realms of normality and acceptability.

Silver1SWA

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 pm

You know, I see everyone's points about the downfalls. But I'm actually excited because I might finally be able to salvage a couple of otherwise great shots that were taken in the most challenging conditions and "ruined" because of slight camera shake. I bet we all have a few of those shots...

ckw

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 13):
then the resulting image would no longer really be 'our' image would it

I guess it depends on what you consider the 'image'. AF, IS, AE are all 'cheats' in a way - we don't generally consider these artificial aids as detratcting from the final image do we? You could argue that software that corrects focus is simply addressing limitations in the AF system.

If I take a photo with AF IS and AE switched off, is it a 'better' photo? Does it make me a better photographer? (perhaps a more skilled craftsman, but I don't think these are the same thing).

We may admire the skill of someone who shoots film on an old view camera, mixes his own chemicals and prints by hand, but unless the pictures are worthwhile, it doesn't make him a photographer.

As far as I'm concerned, there are no bonus points for degree of difficulty. Its the final image that counts - don't much care how you get it.

Everyone will become a master photographer overnight

No - the technical aspects of photography are all a matter of training and experience. Pretty much anyone can achieve these if they want to. The difficult part is producing images that stand out from the crowd - and I don;t see any technology that can help there.

Cheers,

Colin

darreno1

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:05 am

This is pretty amazing. Hopefully this will make it to PS soon.

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:26 am

Then again, advancements in technology will always cause apprehension initially....I guess progress eventually creeps into the realms of normality and acceptability.

I have my Windows XP at home, and Windows 7 at work, both set to the Windows 98-style appearance. Not a great example, but I can be resistant to change.

I can always draw parallels with music - where was autotune 20 years ago? Yet all the Miley Cyrus autotuning (or whomever) in the world won't make me actually buy her music, because it still sucks, no matter how pitch-perfect it is.

Photography is an art, like music. Technical perfection doesn't equal beautiful art. I can tune my guitar perfectly with my electronic tuner, EQ my amp to sound exactly how I want it to sound, record with the best available mics and software, etc.....But if I can't write a halfway-decent song, then who cares?

Psych

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:05 am

Quoting ckw (Reply 9):
the technical skills to get a sharp photo can be quickly aquired anyway. When the technology allows all pics to be technically perfect, then the pendulum will swing back towards creativity, and we will start to focus on the picture rather than the pixels.

Well said Colin!

Paul

viv

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:29 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 17):
Photography is an art, like music. Technical perfection doesn't equal beautiful art.

Very true, as is what Colin said.

stevemchey

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Adobe just released an official version of this video. Now you can actually see the difference of the images.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2011-sneak-peeks/max-2011-sneak-peek-image-deblurring/

Dehowie

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:38 am

Quoting ckw (Reply 15):
Quoting ckw (Reply 15):
As far as I'm concerned, there are no bonus points for degree of difficulty. Its the final image that counts - don't much care how you get it.

For me it's the reverse..
Degree of difficulty is what can set great photos out from among the herd.
A photographer standing for hours to get a special shot at night in the snow and sleet or a blue sky side on in perfect conditions?
I know which wil be the more interesting photo to look at...

Camera's take great photos like a typewriter writes great novels..

stevemchey

Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:02 am

Quoting Dehowie (Reply 21):
Camera's take great photos like a typewriter writes great novels..

But if the typewriter has auto-correct, does that make the novel any less special?

What I am trying to say (and what I assume Colin was referring to) is this: A photographer shows his/her skill by with or without technical tools. Just because your camera does have IS, or you are using PS with anti blur tool, does not make the final image any less special.

Dehowie

Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:44 am

Hi Steve I know what you mean but even with tools like IS they simply enable photos that may never have been achievable in the past.
Perfect example is the new hi ISO capability we have today.
Great tool!
Even digital itself allows things to be done you have never done before.
Do you really think in the past someone would have shot off twenty rolls of film to get one motion blurr photo??
My point is these tools allow special photos to be taken we could never dream of taking before..800mm night 1/20th ISO 6400 was dreamland before now it's achievable. All through technology.
Does it make you a better photographer??
Depends..
Some people with all the technology in the world still stand in a field waiting for blue sky and perfect light yet in there hands they have the capability to push the bounds of photography and themselves.
If you are using thousands of dollars of gear to shoot safe conservative stuff fine but to me it's overkill at the highest level.
Every one of these innovations allow us to achieve things never obtained before..I say they are great advances we should embrace and use to push our gear and photography into areas not used.
If you want to stand in that field with the sun at your back fine but you are not getting 99% of what our equipment can deliver. More importantly you will never know what you can deliver.
I say get out in the rain the dark the snow and the cold you will be amazed at what you can get with the array of gear and technology we have to help do things someone may never have done before.
To me that makes a photographer special not the gear but the balls to use it to and beyond it's limits..

stevemchey

Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:12 am

Darren, I think we are in complete agreement here. Technology doesn't make a bad photographer a good one, but at the same time, it doesn't take anything away from a great photographer either. Great photography has always been more than a skill. It's an art. And technology simply opens the door for new facets of art.

Dehowie

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:06 am

Well said mate i think that sums it up in a couple of sentences!

ckw

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:52 am

Quoting Dehowie (Reply 21):
Degree of difficulty is what can set great photos out from among the herd.
A photographer standing for hours to get a special shot at night in the snow and sleet or a blue sky side on in perfect conditions?
I know which wil be the more interesting photo to look at...

I'm not disagreeing with that - what I mean is no-one cares. If you've stood for hours waiting for a carefully planned shot, and someone chances to show up one minute before hand and gets the same shot ...

Yes, absolutely, pushing the limits is what its all about, but in everything you've said its all about the photographer thinking and planning the shots, not the camera.

The really interesting shots come primarily from a photographer seeing something differently to everyone else - that could be as simple as changing the camera angle, to weeks of planning and elaborate setups - what really makes the photo special is the photographer's original vision - once that is formed, the various steps required to make that vision happen are irrelevant to the person looking at the final picture.

Cheers,

Colin

Dehowie

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:00 am

Agree Colin most people have no idea about how difficult some shots are.
Remember seeing one at the world wildlife awards where the photographer had to warm the batteries in his armpits while laying in the snow in Siberia to make his camera work at like -30!
Incredible story but most will never know the story of his Arctic Fox..

ckw

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:44 am

Quoting Dehowie (Reply 27):
most people have no idea about how difficult some shots are

... or how simple some others are   I think a lot of people don't spend enough time thinking about how a shot was made. You often hear the "I don't have the right camera/lens/access" line, but actually a lot of the time, you don't need much - just a bit of thought and (sometimes) cunning.

One of my favorite parts of photography is problem solving - every so often I'll be asked if I can get a certain shot, sometimes with a sketch of what's required. Figuring out how to do it without having to go and buy special kit is half the fun.

Cheers,

Colin

Dehowie

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:22 am

That is so true Colin!!
Like most things it would be great if peoplevspent more time thinking...

spencer

Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Quoting Dehowie (Reply 23):
If you are using thousands of dollars of gear to shoot safe conservative stuff fine but to me it's overkill at the highest level.

How true is that?! For me it's painfully obvious that I was getting better images, or more to the point more thought-out images, than what I'm getting today with the improved equipment. Sure, my photography skills are probably better but I still try to think my shots through prior to even going out, but it's really not the equipment at the end of the day, it's a mix of both you could say, but having that idea helps heaps!
Spence.

standby87

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Looking forward to seeing how I can deblur some of my shots if/when this Photoshop add-in is released.

Plus there's a few of the wife I'd like to beautify as well.
Let's hope she doesn't read this.