Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ckw

RE: Facebook Page Stealing Photos From A.net Photogs

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Since the car analogy has been raised, it could be said that most people take reasonable precautions to prevent car theft - lock the doors, and maybe have security and tracker systems fitted. And of course we have to pay for insurance so we get some compensation if the car is stolen.

Just as we can't expect the police to prevent all car crime (the costs and manpower would be prohibitive), nor we can we expect an image hosting service to be theft proof - it is, I believe effectively impossible to do this without requiring visitors to have special software installed to view the images.

But, for those who really feel they suffer from theft, there is at least one secuirty and tracking system you can fit to your images - digimarc. It will cost you (currently $99/year with the tracking service for 2k images) but it will allow you to monitor image theft, and give you a pretty firm ground for taking legal action if you so desire.

Is it worth the money? Well if people believe they are suffering financial loss, then I would think just one successful "recovery" per year would cover the expense, which makes it a no-brainer. However I suspect that very few are sure enough of suffering damages to make the payment.

Not saying that image theft is not a problem - but with digimarc you have the opportunity to decide just how much of a problem it is, and what a solution is worth.

Cheers,

Colin

Jez

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Quoting cruce (Reply 49):
Jez, I'm going to steal your car, remove the license plates, and drive it around as my own car. Don't worry though buddy, I don't plan on selling it and I didn't harm you in any way by doing it so it's ok.

Haven't we been through this? Do what you like. You'll have a small copy of my car. I'll still have the full size working car. No bother.

planespot

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:17 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 22):
Looks like our friend is still at it and has a new page:

http://www.facebook.com/StoptheDicta...right

That guy wrote:
"Any photo exposed in public place (such a websites facebook google+ etc ) Without a Visible Watermark in the middle is considered as Copyright free."

Monday at 11:00am

Wow. My brain hurts after reading that.

srbmod

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 am

Quoting planespot (Reply 52):
Any photo exposed in public place (such a websites facebook google+ etc ) Without a Visible Watermark in the middle is considered as Copyright free."

The guy is a bit ill-informed regarding copyrights and he's going to end up learning this lesson the hard way.

srbmod

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:29 pm

http://www.facebook.com/StoptheDictatorshipofPhotoCopyright

They've started a second page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-t...Photo-Copyright-II/330228727034984

I've tried to report it to Facebook as a "duplicate" page but for some reason, Facebook is not letting me do so even though I posted the name of the other page.

At this point, I think that we all need to make the entire online aviation photography community aware of this guy and work together to stop this sort of stuff. Our site, as well as our competitors all get content stolen from them in this same manner and the justification these thieves make for their thefts is downright laughable.

[Edited 2012-03-31 07:43:02]

darthluke12694

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 54):
I've tried to report it to Facebook as a "duplicate" page but for some reason, Facebook is not letting me do so even though I posted the name of the other page.

I put in the URL of the original page, then a drop down bar appeared so I could tag the original page. In order to report the page, you must tag the page, not just type it in (like tagging friends in status updates). And I reported the page as duplicate.

srbmod

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Just when you think this person can't get anymore absurd in their comments, he's now accusing the photographer of this photo (which he stole and put on his page):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peraudeau Florent

of stealing that photo from China Southern Airlines.

Quote:

Yes...
and Airlines net HAS STOLEN THE PHOTO FROM China Southern Airlines
www.flychinasouthern.com

DID THEY ASK FOR PERMISSION to take this Photo from M China Southern Airlines ???
Nooooooooooooo

The China Southern Airlines is the OWNER of this photo AND NOT THE PHOTOGRAPHERS !!!!!!!!!!!

For someone who has been stealing photos from here to accuse one of the photographers (whose photo he stole) here of stealing a photo is outrageous to say the least. It's quite obvious that they are not well-informed in regards to copyrights and photo ownership as they are posting a lot of misinformation on their Facebook page and scoffing at links to international copyright agreements like the Berne Agreement.

CXB77L

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Quoting Jez (Reply 33):
With my Devil's Advocate hat on, I would love to hear a coherent, objective opinion about exactly how these peoples actions have harmed any of you.

I'm not a photographer, I don't have any images that are actually worth anything. However, I'm a proponent of strong intellectual property protection and my goal is to forge a career as an intellectual property lawyer.

So, for what it's worth, here's my view.

Intellectual property, as its name suggests, is property. The term "property" does not relate to the thing, but the collection of rights associated with the thing. Something is your property by virtue of the fact that you have the exclusive right to possess it, to use it as you see fit, to destroy it, to sell it etc. In terms of copyright, the copyright holder has the exclusive right to reproduce, distribute, sell, or assign the rights to somebody else, amongst other things. Stealing a photo is an interference with that exclusive right, just as much as stealing a car is. Forget whether you're stealing the actual hi-res photo or an inferior copy of it for a minute - it is, nevertheless, taking something that doesn't belong to you. As I mentioned, "property" is not the thing itself, but the collection of rights associated with the thing. So whether you're taking the actual hi-res image or an inferior copy is quite irrelevant, it is still an interference with the copyright holder's exclusive right.

Now, some photographers might not care. Some choose not to exercise their exclusive right to control the reproduction of the image on other websites. That does not, however, mean that it isn't within their right to stop you from stealing their image if they so choose. To use an analogy, some people might not care if a stranger walked into their front yard and pitched a tent. It's not doing them any harm, is it? But they would still be well within their rights to kick the stranger out if they so choose.

mnazarinia

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:57 am

I found mine here too, I reported them. I hope the page gets closed soon.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...83276.89871.204216432942663&type=3

Tomskii

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:31 pm

It really is extremely annoying that people steal your pictures and don't even give you credit for it...

mnazarinia

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:26 am

It is indeed! They removed it from their page in less than 8 hours!

avfan

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:53 am

start a facebook page denouncing him or with some information about copyrighting using specific examples of aviation photography then show it to him.

rafael

Tomskii

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Like the guy would even listen... all he can do is freaking spam in the comments of every pictures..

srbmod

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 54):

They've started a second page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-t...34984

Let's make that a third page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aviati...phers-are-Talibans/281312988616411

He's now resorting to referring to aviation photographers as "Taliban". He just keeps making himself look more and more stupid with these pages.

It's funny that guys like this seem to think they're in the right and can steal images (and make claims that the photographers have no rights to their own photos) and that those who oppose them are "dictators" or "Taliban".

comair25

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Somebody should get a statement from Delta or whoever stating that its ok to take photos of their aircraft etc. Like it will really do anything though. He would just say you forged it.

comairguycvg

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 am

There was some mention about the photo thieves removing the watermark in this forum. That is something that this website offers as part of the Premium Membership. I have that membership myself, as I enjoy viewing photos without the watermark. That's why I don't even bother with it when uploading my photos on here since it's so easy to get around. But still, the thieves should not be doing what they are doing.

addew1

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Here is one aswell. A lot of pics from a.net
https://www.facebook.com/pages/McDonnell-Douglas-MD-11/161208787261704?sk=photos

JimmyLWH

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 am

such a long thread...

actually photos (not only from this website), are being stolen everyday everywhere. Sometimes this is how the internet world works. And usually there's no solution, just put "airliners.net" watermarks on your photos and make it harder to be stolen.

Tomskii

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:46 am

Quoting JimmyLWH (Reply 67):
such a long thread...

actually photos (not only from this website), are being stolen everyday everywhere. Sometimes this is how the internet world works. And usually there's no solution, just put "airliners.net" watermarks on your photos and make it harder to be stolen.

In my opinion the airliners.net watermark basically ruins your pictures... So I'd prefer not to.

srbmod

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Quoting JimmyLWH (Reply 67):
And usually there's no solution, just put "airliners.net" watermarks on your photos and make it harder to be stolen.

That does little to stop it. We've had cases in which someone had stolen images from here (as well as competitor sites) with the watermarks in place and tried to upload them to our sister site Myaviation.net as their own photos. There have been Facebook pages in which stolen A.net images had the copyright bar removed, but the watermark remained.

Quoting Tomskii (Reply 68):
In my opinion the airliners.net watermark basically ruins your pictures... So I'd prefer not to.

Considering that anyone that is moderately proficient with photo editing software can remove the watermark, it's all a matter of personal choice to include one.

TheGinger

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:13 pm

That's a shame, I wish people like that didn't exist. It's just wrong to do that.