JakTrax
Topic Author

Photo Opportunities At Farnborough This Week?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi all,

Wondering whether or not to do my first ever FAB airshow but am concerned by some reports I've heard. I've been offered a couple of tickets for the weekend at just under half price, however I believe it's a bit of a scrum due to it being a public day? I can get tickets for midweek (tomorrow, Thu or Fri) online for £30 each, but have been told that, after media day, most of the aircraft are fenced in and hence not good for photos?

I'm just interested in good quality photos, as close to the aircraft as possible. I'm not particularly concerned with flight displays as the action is always far too distant for this time of year.

Cheers,

Karl

[Edited 2012-07-10 14:14:37]

sovietjet

RE: Photo Opportunities At Farnborough This Week?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Thread starter):
I'm not particularly concerned with flight displays as the action is always far too distant for this time of year.

Why do you think so? I see plenty of good high quality action shots uploaded here every year from Farnborough.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting sovietjet (Reply 1):
Why do you think so? I see plenty of good high quality action shots uploaded here every year from Farnborough

That's as maybe but if the sun shines and it's warm the law of physics says that you will have heat-haze shooting small aircraft across that sort of distance. No way of avoiding it I'm afraid, except for making your images smaller for here so it's less noticeable. Some people aren't fussy about heat-haze; unfortunately it's a real pet hate of mine but each to their own......

Karl

CaptainKramer

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi Jax Trax,

April and June 2012 have been the wettest months since records began, July is on track to be the same, heat haze I wish! This year is shaping up to be a real wash out, pun intended.

If you want to shoot the Qatar B787 then you best go on Wednesday the 11th, because I understand that after her flight display the B787 is leaving the Farnborough Airshow 2012 for good. I apologize to all those learning this for the first time and were planning on seeing her on the weekend, but she has to earn her keep, having been signed over to Qatar, here at Farnborough.

Also alot of aircraft, including what biz jets turned up, will be departing on Thursday which is the last official trade day, so if you turn up on Friday all you are going to get are alot of fences guarding empty spaces.

This though is the real kicker. Because the Olympic's are less than a month a way, all the Halls will be closed to the public over the weekend for security reasons. I'm going Friday so fingers crossed this is not the case on that day.

I arrived at the Swan Pub which overlooks the runway at Farnborough on Tuesday, it was overcast with periodic showers, but the sun came out for much of the flight display, especially for the B787 and the A380.

You just have to take a chance and keep your fingers crossed. I went to RIAT 2012 on both days. Saturday mostly overcast, Sunday mostly sunny. As with all things you win some you lose some.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Anyone know what exactly will be there Thu as the forecast doesn't look too bad? Heard the Superjet has already left.

Cheers,

Karl

marky

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Karl

Farnborough static display aircraft are pretty hopeless - all with fences too close, display boards in front, stairs up against them, etc. As some have said, many trade display aircraft depart mid week so you might get lucky and catch some leaving but other than that you are unlikely to get clear shots.

No problems for the flying display - the runway is pretty close, and I can't see heat haze being much of a problems there this week - but again much of the real interest (787, A380 etc) won't be there all week and the weekend line up is mostly the pretty standard UK airshow fare. Depends what you are after really.

There are a few of my pics from Monday (all flying stuff) on the front page at the moment.

Regards

Mark

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks guys. Just looked at the FAB website and not a lot of what I'm after is flying so if they can't be properly photographed in the static park then I won't bother. Perhaps should have gone a couple of days ago but never mind.....

Cheers,

Karl

CaptainKramer

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:05 pm

The Airbus Test aircraft A320 with sharklets turned up on Tuesday, although I don't know if it will stay till the end on Sunday. The A400M Atlas did not fly on Tuesday, I think it's just performing static duties though. There will be more flying on the weekend with Vulcan bomber flying amongst others. If you go on the dedicated Farnborough website there are times and a list of what is flying each day.

Cheers Frank (aka some)

harlequin67

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:50 am

Current information is the A320 "Sharklet" wings version is leaving as we speak.

I do not think it is returning, but await to be corrected.

People seem to forget that Farnborough is in effect two airshows in one. Monday to Thursday is the trade show days, the aircraft manufacturers send there "hot" items to attend and then Wednesday to Thursday some of these items head off to new owners, the Qatar 787, this year is not attending the latter half of the airshow week or some items return to testing, the A400M as an example of this sort of activity in previous years.

The Friday is billed as part Trade day and part "Enthusiast" day. Basically, this is the changeover day from a trade show to a public display at the weekend. The trade days have a shorter air display and the weekend has a longer display with more airshow type acts, The Blades, The Breitling Jet Team, etc. This gives the photographer a chance to catch some trade only traffic and the arrival of some of the airshow acts.

Farnborough in both guises presents the photographer with some difficult shots to achieve a required result, either difficult static shots as mentioned or the position of the Sun for the flying display. These are the challenges photographers must face and overcome. What I feel Farnborough offers are some excellent take off and runway dynamic type shots.

No airshow is the perfect blend of airdisplay, sun location, static parking, etc it is upto the individual photographer to plan how they wish to approach the shoot and either try the difficult shots with known issues or take the best the show can offer photography wise. The choice is yours.

relic

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi

Im not sure if this is true,but a friend of mine who lives in Farnborough said that the trade tents will be out of bounds Saturday and Sunday.Has anyone else heard this.

Andy

ckw

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Quoting relic (Reply 9):
but a friend of mine who lives in Farnborough said that the trade tents will be out of bounds Saturday and Sunday

Yes, this is true - I've heard 2 different reasons 1) "they" (organisers? traders?) can't be bothered and 2) some Olympics related secuirty issue

Either way, if you want to see the halls, you'll have to go Friday.

One big disappointment this year is that there was no separate heliport, which was great for close up approaches and departures. Now all operating out of Tag, needing 500mm +.

I've just spent 2 days at FAB and was frankly disappointed - very little 'substance' to the flying, and a lot of 'filler'. On the plus side, due to weird weather, heat haze wasn't much of an issue and there was some interesting light (between periods of complete overcast).

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Flyingfox27

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:31 am

I just go to enjoy it, as i dont upload to sites due to i get frustrated too easily at rejections i find it nicer to just take photos regardless and upload them to Facebook where i get views and comments from friends, i take nice amatuer photos but i dont let the seriousness take over, i just go out and enjoy the day iam going on which is this Saturday. I have a new Canon 1100D which iam looking forward to using.

Garyck
Screener

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 am

Part of the key to FAB is getting there early and a wide angle lens, I struggled with 18mm, 10-20 would be perfect. The aircraft are penned in from Sunday ready for the show to begin officially on Monday. If there are stands blocking part of the aircraft just ask them to move it for a couple of minutes, they can only say no.......... The SAAB crew moved the stands for me, the Black Eagles Crew laid the ladders down, even grumpy security moved from under the wing of the 737 to the fence.

Unless your part of YAK130 crew who's reply was 'I don't understand english', I then said do any of the other three guys over there..............To which he replied 'No they dont', he then turned his back and walked off. Had to wait a few hours, but they had to drag it out for the flying display anyway.

BTW - they wont move GPU's or Airstairs they are the major issue. Ha Ha

Gary

[Edited 2012-07-12 03:19:34]
Keep your Ladders close, but your camera closer