Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dendrobatid

RE: Upload Queue, Picture Does Not Appear In Thumbnail

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:49 pm

Darren
Bear in mind that my comment was made about five days ago and that was the case then. Several of mine were affected though I was not aware until they were accepted, and re-uploads did sort them out.

Several people have asked about whether to upload or not and I have advised them to wait if they can. I have only uploaded one in the past week. That took a few attempts and was done simply to test the system and I do think it is wisest to wait. Disabling uploads was suggested (by me actually) but it was not easy to do apparently. We have no real idea of how many images are affected but the developers believe that they can be corrected. We do not have a way of deleting images and it may be that we do have to reject them but as this no longer affects upload rates, is this really an issue ?

Karl
I don't think you are being at all fair on Dana there. A hypothetical question was asked and the way he responded was simply to say that he could not answer hypothetical questions. I do not see how that shows any contempt, particularly from a Screener that gives more to this site than probably any other !

We are all disappointed and, having just taken on four new trainees it feels like one step forward and two back.

New hardware is needed and we will keep you updated when we are able

Mick Bajcar

GPHOTO

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 pm

My experience today is that very few photographs that I have uploaded are making it through successfully to the queue.

Everyone is free to make their own decisions on what to do, depending on how patient and determined they are to get a particular image into the queue at the moment, but I would recommend saving some frustration by not uploading until the situation improves.

Probably best to go out and take some fresh images or work on those you have already taken so they are ready for when the upload system is fixed.

I'm off to do quite a bit of image deletion from my queue....

Best regards,

Jim

Rotate

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:20 pm

okay - thanks for all the Information.

Rgds

Robin

Newark727

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 46):
The re-upload function is practical for small volumes of images, but if every image accepted in a day needed to be re-uploaded, it will simply be overwhelmed, thus it is not a viable option for the thousands of images potentially affected that are currently in the queue.

I was referring to the script that PanAm_DC10 mentioned, not the re-upload feature, for that specific part of my sentence. It wouldn't make a great deal of sense to re-upload something that isn't actually uploaded to the database yet.

PHX787

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 46):

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 43):

Dana-

If our photos can't get fixed post-remedy, will there be any notification to re-submit?

FYODOR

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:03 pm

My case is easy. Any photos I've tried to upload has no preview image. So I'm just out.

Regards,

Fyodor

andrew50

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Why not just come out and say, DO NOT UPLOAD AT THIS TIME, we will let you know when the upload problem is fixed. Surely not blaming the screening team for this problem, but I think it is up to someone on the site to come to this decision.

alevik

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 48):
I'm quite astonished at the contempt shown to the people who make this site tick.

Me too Karl. The fact while screeners have no control over this yet Dana is doing his best to answer questions and getting flamed for it astonishes me. You'd think he would be shown a little less contempt.

As Dana has pointed out, we cannot screen default images for obvious reasons. If we merely put a "second opinion" on a default image that is in the queue, in short order any screener who pulls a batch to screen will have nothing but a page full of default images. This describes the need to start rejecting these images so we can actually get to images in the queue that can be screened.

Whether someone from the site in the right position comes to the decision to disable uploads or not or determines how this might even be accomplished, hopefully we can understand that uploading our own queues full of default images and leaving them there will possibly result in some sort of issue just by common sense. If you upload and get a default image, no sense leaving it in the queue.

As Mick said, once information is available, it will be passed along. In the meantime we will continue to handle the day to day as best we can. Thanks in advance for your patience as we wait the fix from the developers.

JakTrax

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Quoting alevik (Reply 57):
Me too Karl. The fact while screeners have no control over this yet Dana is doing his best to answer questions and getting flamed for it astonishes me. You'd think he would be shown a little less contempt

I'm not doing any flaming about the handling of the situation. There is an etiquette to language and communication but some of Dana's recent posts seem very abrupt; almost sarcastic. It certainly doesn't offend me but there are others who feel the tone is a little unnecessary. Whether this abruptness is inadvertant I don't know but judging by the messages I get from people to whom the responses have been directed the negativity hasn't gone unnoticed.

We do talk behind the scenes you know. Unfortunately most don't have the confidence to put what they feel or think into words here. If others felt my responses were inappropriate or liable to be taken the wrong way I would really appreciate being told. Indeed, on many occasions I have been told.

I will be the first to accept that Dana's responses are well-intended, if he were to say. But it is important to recognise that many here don't use English as a first language, and should therefore be extended more patience than the rest of us.

Karl

dlowwa

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Quoting Rotate (Reply 47):
So I cant upload Pictures. It doesnt Show a Picture at all, even after it is in the queque.
So basically nobody can upload Pictures righ now, is this correct?

You can, but the outcome of anything submitted before a fix is in place is uncertain. For that reason, we recommend waiting a few days.

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 48):
The way we're all being dictated to about pulling our images 'or else' suggests that it's our loss and our problem

No one is 'dictating' anything to you. Advice was requested, and one suggestion was removing one's corrupted images from the queue. Nowhere was it stated that you had to do so.

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 49):
If that is the case Dana, until the site problems have been corrected, why not disable uploads until the problem is resolved?

As Mick said, if we (the screeners) had that capability, we would have done it days ago. We have been told by the developers that it is not an option.

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 49):
While Micks comment suggest its ony effecting a small proportion of photos, my experience is I'm having difficultly trying to upload anything at the moment without the default image showing and how can we have confidant that there are no issues with those we are managing to upload?

We simply must wait and hope that whatever is implemented tomorrow by the developers works. If not, when we reach the point in the queue where the majority of images are corrupted, things will start getting a lot worse.

Quoting gphoto (Reply 51):
Everyone is free to make their own decisions on what to do, depending on how patient and determined they are to get a particular image into the queue at the moment, but I would recommend saving some frustration by not uploading until the situation improves.

Probably best to go out and take some fresh images or work on those you have already taken so they are ready for when the upload system is fixed.

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 53):
I was referring to the script that PanAm_DC10 mentioned, not the re-upload feature, for that specific part of my sentence.

Given what I've seen personally this weekend, I think we can assume the script was ineffective, as things seem actually to have deteriorated.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 54):
If our photos can't get fixed post-remedy, will there be any notification to re-submit?

In that worst-case-scenario, it will likely be as I stated above - any corrupted images making it to screening will simply be rejected.

Quoting andrew50 (Reply 56):
Why not just come out and say, DO NOT UPLOAD AT THIS TIME

Well, we know there at least a few that don't like being dictated to  
In all seriousness, only a small percentage of uploaders regularly visit the forum, so any directive would be missed by most. We also hold out the hope that a fix will be put in place tomorrow that will repair any corrupted images already in the queue, so the do not upload advice would only be for those that lack the confidence in a fix being put in place.

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 58):
some of Dana's recent posts seem very abrupt; almost sarcastic

Sarcasm? Me? Never!

Newark727

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:49 pm

How directly do the screeners interact with the developers of the site? Dana and other screeners are often the public face of the site administration for the sake of the photographer community, anyway, but it sounds like the people who run it on the technical side, who would really have any answers to be had here, are separate to some degree.

In addition, an inability to "close" the upload queue sounds counterintuitive on the face of it from my layman's perspective. I'm dimly aware that this is an older website and has changed management before though, so I would be unsurprised if a lot of things work differently from other online photos sites and message boards.

dlowwa

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 60):
How directly do the screeners interact with the developers of the site?

Sadly, not at all.

In addition, an inability to "close" the upload queue sounds counterintuitive on the face of it from my layman's perspective.

From mine too.

I'm dimly aware that this is an older website and has changed management before though, so I would be unsurprised if a lot of things work differently from other online photos sites and message boards.

From my understanding, the fact that this site was built up, added to, and kept running by various forms of coding from different sources, added at different times, is a big reason why we experience these problems from time to time, and why fixes are not as easy as they would seem.

JakTrax

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Dana, the last couple of replies have been much more informative; had you outlined earlier why possible solutions wouldn't have worked and why I doubt anyone could have interpreted your comments as abrupt.

I don't take offence to anything said in these forums, by anyone - I'm simply saying that some of your comments could be (and at times are) construed as unhelpful and/or patronising by others.

As for the current issue, if it's not possible to solve it by any other means than to delete images from the queue, then so be it. No big deal. We'll just have to wait until the programmers overcome the problem.

Karl

RCoulter

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:17 am

FWIW, I just uploaded five photos with no issues... hopefully the problem may be getting fixed.

PHX787

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:34 am

Quoting andrew50 (Reply 56):
Why not just come out and say, DO NOT UPLOAD AT THIS TIME, we will let you know when the upload problem is fixed. Surely not blaming the screening team for this problem, but I think it is up to someone on the site to come to this decision.
Quoting dlowwa (Reply 59):
You can, but the outcome of anything submitted before a fix is in place is uncertain. For that reason, we recommend waiting a few days.

The issue I see with holding off on Uploads would be a massive crush for uploads once the problem is fixed, and the queue line reaching unprecedented lengths....

powwwiii
Screener

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Just doing a test, actually now all 3 sizes are showing as a default image, will hold uploading untill this bug is addressed.

ptrjong

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Quoting RCoulter (Reply 63):

With no medium image I suppose. I could upload one like that this afternoon, a second failed to have a thumbnail again.

RCoulter

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 66):
With no medium image I suppose. I could upload one like that this afternoon, a second failed to have a thumbnail again.

Actually you are correct, I forgot to check the medium image. Sorry about that!

[Edited 2013-04-08 10:29:58]

dendrobatid

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 50):
Several people have asked about whether to upload or not and I have advised them to wait if they can. I have only uploaded one in the past week. That took a few attempts and was done simply to test the system and I do think it is wisest to wait.

New hardware is needed but hopefully we should have some news in the next few hours - it is now Monday morning in SoCal !

Mick Bajcar

Plainplane

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 am

I think that in addition to hardware improvements, it might be a good idea for the developers to consider developing a new backbone software for this website on the side, to reduce the likelihood of unexpected yet substantial issues like this one.

dlowwa

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 am

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately it is taking longer for a fix to be implemented than we had hoped. As we will be reaching the point in the queue where the corrupted images start to appear in only a few hours, the screening team has decided to immediately halt all screening until the time where a fix has been found, and put into place. Going hand-in-hand with that, we ask that you please stop uploading images until a fix has been announced. We still cannot confirm that images currently in the queue with corrupted thumbnails will be recoverable, so there is no point in adding to the problem. As mentioned above, we would like to have disabled the upload function, but that option is not available to us, so if you know anyone who is still uploading, but does not frequent the forum, please let them know it would be best to stop uploading until things are running normally again.

Obviously we are just as unhappy about this as you, so apologies would seem moot...

You may still see a few images being added over the next few hours (to clear out images already in screening).

Thanks for reading,

Dana

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am

Hi,

I am bit surprised as the images I uploaded in the last few days (since saturday) are correctly displayed with the thumbnail as well as the medium size being available.

But perhaps I was just lucky.

I will stop uploading new ones though.

angad84

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks for the update Dana, and I've spread the word to the few shooters I know that may have missed this thread/issue.

Cheers,

A

gocaps16

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Hmmmm, and I thought it was just me.

At least I wasn't the only ones wit this problem.

yoshioyaji

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Dana, thanks for the update.
It is good to know the situation and guidance when system got a trouble.
I have checked my current submissions in the queue pipeline and found 13 out of 15 got affected one way or the other.
Have removed all of those thirteen just hoping to unload the system as I do not see any points keeping them in the queue.
Hope system got a fix soon and we can enjoy the great airline picture experience again.
Thank you
Yoshio - Japan

andrew50

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:48 pm

I have fifteen in the queue right now, I can see all the thumbnails and all the large versions. Looks like Dana is monitoring this thread, so I was wondering if I need to pull them or leave them in the queue?

dendrobatid

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Quoting andrew50 (Reply 75):
I have fifteen in the queue right now, I can see all the thumbnails and all the large versions. Looks like Dana is monitoring this thread, so I was wondering if I need to pull them or leave them in the queue?

If they all look ok, they probably are so I suggest that you leave them.

Yoshio however had 13/15 affected and he has removed them (thank you Yoshio)

Many people are however still uploading and we fear that many of those uploaded are not going to have been successful uploads. A lot of uploaders do not visit this forum, indeed a lot do not have English as a language so that seems grossly unfair and our feelings have been passed on to that effect.

Mick Bajcar

JakTrax

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:28 pm

I have fifteen in the queue right now, I can see all the thumbnails and all the large versions

I had two in the queue recently and both had the thumbnail and small/large version available - however it was the medium-sized image that was affected and so I assumed the files were corrupt and removed them.

From what I understand, unless EVERY image connected to each upload is visible your files will have been corrupted.

Karl

emair

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm

I am having this issue too when I upload my pictures...will stay on standby and wait for further news, got some nice shots to upload!

Emair =)

Scotland1979

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:47 pm

I have the same problem too... uploaded about ten times only one image shown ok the others default image... when am i going toupload without any problem?

dlowwa

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Quoting Scotland1979 (Reply 79):
when am i going toupload without any problem?

We have not had any recent updates.

I can see all the thumbnails and all the large versions... so I was wondering if I need to pull them or leave them in the queue?

As Mick said, if there are no default images associated with the upload (thumbnail or medium size), best to leave it in the queue for now, as we believe these will not be affected.

Scotland1979

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Photo Aircraft Taken at
Southwest Airlines
Boeing 737-7H4 Baltimore / Washington - International (Friendship) (BWI / KBWI)
USA - Maryland, March 7, 2013
Remark Photographer
N230WN (cn 34592/1868) "Colorado One" approaches Rwy 33L
Frank Robitaille

Uploaded again - still default image

eskillawl

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 pm

I have not gone through the whole thread, but if you didnt know already, photos that has been in the que without being default, for like 5-6 days all off a sudden turned default. Guess the best thing for me to do is to delete the photos and dont upload anyhing for quite a while as no one can see the light in the end of the tunnel by now.

Eskil

McG1967

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 pm

I had 1 photo in the queue, uploaded on the 1st of April.
Yesterday the photo was showing normally in the queue.
Today it was showing as Default Image for all sizes, therefore I have deleted the image from the queue.

henkita217

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm

^ Further to McG1967 comment,

I would check for ALL sizes of your photos. Click on all; small, medium and large size. If your photo miraculously appear on all three sizes, then leave it in the queue.

I had about ten in the queue which were appearing normal, now I've got none (left 3 photos there to retain the caption).

Some photos shows the thumbnail OK, the large and small OK, then the medium size as the default image. I deleted those ones.

Regards,
Hendra

tom3

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Quoting McG1967 (Reply 83):
I had 1 photo in the queue, uploaded on the 1st of April.
Yesterday the photo was showing normally in the queue.
Today it was showing as Default Image for all sizes, therefore I have deleted the image from the queue.

Same here.. , I have 3 images in the queue(1 + 3 April) so I guess it's better to delete them..

Tom

RCoulter

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:30 am

Has anything been changed? I just uploaded five photos and ALL sizes are showing the image correctly as far as I can see. Hopefully they will stay that way, but who knows.

unattendedbag

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:14 am

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 70):
so if you know anyone who is still uploading, but does not frequent the forum, please let them know it would be best to stop uploading until things are running normally again.

Is there still no way to mass email the photographers? We all have email addresses and most of us do check it to see whether or not our photos were accepted or rejected.

ptrjong

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 am

I just uploaded one and it also seems fine in all sizes.

Also, the uploads with only the medium image missing seem to have no issues otherwise. Two of mine got accepted, and they are behaving normally. I got them a medium image thorugh the re-upload function as was previously recommended.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Jong
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Jong

Peter 

JakTrax

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 88):
I just uploaded one and it also seems fine in all sizes

Not being entirely convinced I just uploaded one, and it too is 100% fine in all guises.

Can I therefore leave this in the queue to be screened as normal or should I pull it?

Karl

[Edited 2013-04-10 06:03:32]

unattendedbag

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 89):
Can I therefore leave this in the queue to be screened as normal or should I pull it?

your answer:

Quoting eskillawl (Reply 82):
I have not gone through the whole thread, but if you didnt know already, photos that has been in the que without being default, for like 5-6 days all off a sudden turned default.

The screeners have asked that we discontinue uploading but they have no way of stopping us. You can leave it or you can remove it, it's your choice. However, according to the screeners, the problem still exists.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Just my 2 Cents.

I have a few in the upload queue since 7 days or so. Everything was fine (neither thumbnail nor medium image missing) and they are still as fine as they used to be. So for my pictures nothing has changed.

Don't think I need to take them off the queue. That's what my normal sense tells me and there was never an post from the anet crew that asked pictures without issues to be removed..

Anyway if I look at the upload queue status perhaps only 20% or so were taken off the queue. It is still like ~800 pics a day. So that clearly shows that only a few photgraphers know about this situation..

dlowwa

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Quoting RCoulter (Reply 86):
Has anything been changed?

No, there has been no change. We have in fact been told it may yet be days before anything is done.

Quoting eskillawl (Reply 82):
if you didnt know already, photos that has been in the que without being default, for like 5-6 days all off a sudden turned default.

This is the real problem. As new images are being uploaded, they are in turn corrupting images already in the queue. One of my own images uploaded three days ago (after multiple attempts to get an un-corrupted image through), now has the default image. It would be best to monitor what you currently have in the queue, and leave anything that for the time being looks ok - just be aware that images that were ok in the queue before are now being corrupted.

ptrjong

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 92):
As new images are being uploaded, they are in turn corrupting images already in the queue.

Oh. That is bad. I'll stop uploading then.

Quoting JKPhotos (Reply 91):
only a few photgraphers know about this situation..

Of course, how should they know if they don't visit this forum.

However, disabling the upload page is hardly rocket science I think...

eskillawl

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:28 pm

But if I get this clear, I should remove all the images that shows default on the small image, but is visible on medium and large?

Eskil

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Quoting unattendedbag (Reply 87):

Sorry we don't have the ability to send out a bulk email to all users. The developers have made some progress in relation to uploads and the affected images, we'll post another update shortly.

dlowwa

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:30 am

Today's update:

Uploads should now be ok; a permanent fix has not yet been implemented, but there should no longer be any images being corrupted upon upload. If you are still seeing newly uploaded images being corrupted, please let us know.

Unfortunately, it seems that this temporary fix has caused all rejected images to be erased (at least temporarily), so screening will not resume as normal until this new problem is remedied, as it would not allow photographers the chance to appeal their rejections. Possibly related, all images that were in the appeal queue have been permanently lost.

You may see small batches of images being added over the next little while as we test out the system to make sure there are no more bugs.

Psych

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 am

Dana - whilst all this has been going on I have had a further two images rejected, where I have issues with the decision making. Previously I had a rejection which I appealed (as you know) and I now understand from what you say that images has been permanently lost. What about these more recent two? I see one showing normally in the rejection section, but the other is just a default image. So apparently not all rejections have been 'lost'. Is there any likelihood of the 'disappeared' image being restored for subsequent appeal? Will I at least be able to appeal the image I can see in my rejection section eventually?

Paul

dazbo5

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:09 am

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 96):
You may see small batches of images being added over the next little while as we test out the system to make sure there are no more bugs.

I've just noticed some of the thumbnails of recently accepted photos are displaying as soft. It only seems to a have effected 3 that I can see at the moment though.

Darren

eskillawl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:27 am

For your knowledge, all of my photos in the que worked this morning, but now is almost every thumbnail/small photo is default again.