Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

len90
Topic Author

Canon Vignetting Question

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Hello Everyone,

I just recently started having issues with vignetting on my 6D with 100-400L. I noticed it on my most recent shots from when I went out photographing on a sunny day after a snowstorm. Here is an example of a shot that was rejected with vignetting: https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...112_x1388903923.9987img_0370r1.jpg

Now I know Canon has things like the Peripheral lamination Correction and Aberration Correction. The question I have is does this help without affecting the quality of the image. I personally have never needed to use this in the past, but after my results from that day I am thinking it is time to look into it.

Thanks in advance!

angad84

RE: Canon Vignetting Question

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:22 pm

If you shoot RAW, I don't think anything changes with turning the illumination correction/aberration correction on. The best way to get rid of vignetting is in post - most decent image editing applications today are good at correcting vignetting without adversely affecting quality.

Cheers
Angad

N243NW

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 pm

If your preferred method of editing is Photoshop, you can adjust your image using preset lens profiles stored in Adobe Camera Raw (only if you shoot in RAW, though). These usually do a good job with automatically correcting for barrel/pincushion distortion and vignetting.

Kiadprthd

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Len,

I have the same issue when I use my 6D with my 100-400L. As mentioned above, I found the best way to get rid of the vignetting is when you post edit your images. I am currently using Photoshop CC with Raw 8.1 and there is a slider that helps eliminates the vignetting and lens distortion. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andrew

len90
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:23 pm

I don't actually always shoot RAW. I know post processing is good for those moments. That batch where I had vignetting was all shot in JPEG. Do I stand a chance in post processing yet? Also does the camera correction help with the JPEG side?

Really appreciate the replies so far!

[Edited 2014-01-12 14:24:49]

ckw

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:23 pm

Quoting N243NW (Reply 2):
If your preferred method of editing is Photoshop, you can adjust your image using preset lens profiles stored in Adobe Camera Raw (only if you shoot in RAW, though).

With recent versions of PS (not sure from when) you CAN use lens profiles in ACR with jpegs.

Go into Bridge, and if you right click on the .jpg thumbnail and you will see an option "open in camera raw". You can then use the lens correction setting just like a RAW file - it should detect automatically the camera/lens used. If necessary, there is a vignetting slider at the bottom of the panel.

Quick and easy.

Cheers,

Colin

canyonblue17

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:51 pm

I have had similar problems with my Canon. I started using Photoshop for editing only a few months ago - so not nearly an expert yet. I shoot in jpeg. Can anyone take me step by step (remembering I am still new to Photoshop) through the editing process for fixing this issue. As always - many thanks in advance. The people on this website have made me a much better photographer.