FighterPilot
Topic Author

Colour Issue

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Hey All,
I've decided to start uploading again after a bit of a lull.
I'm having issue with colour and working with RGB and converting to sRGB.
First off I'm shooting in sRGB on my Canon 40D, uploading my pictures then editing them in Photoshop CC.
I'm working in sRGB "IEC61966-2.1" to be more specific.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/CanadianFighterPilot/Untitled-2.jpg
Are the rest of these settings correct?

Then when I go to save I select "Save to Web" I make sure the "convert to sRGB" is selected.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/CanadianFighterPilot/Untitled-1.jpg
The top "original" of these would be the more "correct" however I can't get it to save as the "correct" version.
When I upload the photo it still has a wrong colour cast. I keep getting a more green and blue colour cast on the photo.

Where in my workflow am I going wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

vikkyvik

RE: Colour Issue

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:00 pm

If you're shooting in sRGB, and Photoshop is set to that, you shouldn't need to select "Convert to Working RGB". I have mine set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles". You could see if that has an effect.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

FighterPilot
Topic Author

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 pm

I have it set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles" but it doesn't seem to help.
When I preview the photo in Google chrome while I'm in the "Save to web" dialogue it shows it as proper colours, however after I submit it on Airliners.net it gets all goofy again. I don't get why it's doing this as I'm shooting in sRGB, editing in sRGB and saving as sRGB, yet it continues to display improperly after I upload the photo.

Cal   

ckw

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 am

I thin the problem may be to do with using the "save for web" function. My understanding is that this function "optimises" the image for web browsers (which may not undertstand color profiles). Hence color data is stripped or modified.

I think you can get this to work if instead of the colour settings you have used, you select North America Web/Internet (instead of custom). Of course this may then cause problems with printing of sending images for publication etc.

Personally I use a similar colour set up to you, but unless I am doing web graphics (in which case web safe colours can be important) I never use "save for web". Instead I use "Save As" and have not encountered the colour shift problem.

As a side note, on more than one occassion following a PS crash, PC forced restart etc. I have found that PS has "lost" my colour preferences and defaulted to Adobe RGB - unless you're paying very close attention, you don't notice this until you look at the image in a web browser - not the cause of this problem, just another thing to check if you ever have your colors going weird

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

vikkyvik

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 3):
I think you can get this to work if instead of the colour settings you have used, you select North America Web/Internet (instead of custom). Of course this may then cause problems with printing of sending images for publication etc.

Would clicking "Embed Color Profile" as shown in Cal's image of the "Save for Web" dialog solve this problem?

Like Colin, I only use "Save", and never "Save for Web". I've never had a need to use "Save for Web".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ckw

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 4):
Would clicking "Embed Color Profile" as shown in Cal's image of the "Save for Web" dialog solve this problem?

Not sure - besides I don't think all browsers read colour profiles. I suspect that the "save for web" option is just not appropriate for the faithful rendition of colour. I believe the intention of the option is optimisation of images for the web (in general) not necessarily for image reproduction. Remember some of these PS functions have been around a long time, and I suspect it has its roots back in the day where saving a few bytes here and there in web graphics was significant.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

jid

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi Cal,

You do not need to select the Convert to sRGB as you are already working in an sRGB colour space. Embedding a profile will not make any difference (well for web use at least) as most browsers ignore embedded profiles. The 'save for web' function is just a more advanced way of saving your images, most functions are available elsewhere in PS.

The most useful feature if you upload to a site with a 1 Meg limit is the quality selection. Here you have from 1 to 100 (100 being the highest) and you can reduce it back until your image is just under 1000Kbs, unlike with the normal save as where you only have 1 to 12 steps.

Cheers .. Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

ckw

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Quoting jid (Reply 6):
You do not need to select the Convert to sRGB as you are already working in an sRGB colour space.

This is certainly worth trying, though it shouldn't fix the colour problem - as the colours are already mapped to the sRGB space, converting to sRGB is unnecessary but should not result in changes unless, of course, there's a bug in PS.

I THINK the prrocess goes 1 - convert and/or add colour space
2 - optimise & compress

The other way round wouldn't make a lot of sense

It might be worth trying this with the "optimize" option unchecked as I'm pretty sure this is where the shift occurs.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

jid

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 7):
It might be worth trying this with the "optimize" option unchecked as I'm pretty sure this is where the shift occurs.

Hi Colin the 'optimize' option just defines they way the jpeg is compiled and the displayed by your browser. Progressive is the standard against baseline (optimized). If you remember the old days of dial up a baseline compiled jpeg be displayed a line at a time, progressive loads the whole image in its frame and builds it in layers to get the final rendering. You very rarely notice it these days due to the quicker inet speeds. Do not forget that as part of the jpeg compression process there can be some shift in colour depending on the quality settings you define.

Cheers .. Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

ckw

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Quoting jid (Reply 8):
'optimize' option just defines they way the jpeg is compiled and the displayed by your browser.

In the full "save as" dialogue, PS offers the choice of Baseline, Baseline optimized and progressive. In this case I believe baseline applies the JPEG standard strictly, whereas optimized uses different quantitzation tables. I assume save for web optimize does the same though you aren't given all the options,

But of course you are right in so far as any compression will possibly cause colour shifts.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

FighterPilot
Topic Author

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Hmmm, this is starting to get really weird.
Unfortunately nothing so far has worked. If I upload these photos to Facebook the colours appear normal. That and the whole "preview" test in the "Save to Web" dialogue shows it as correct colours.

Anyway, thank you for the help so far.

Cal   

vikkyvik

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:11 pm

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 10):
Hmmm, this is starting to get really weird.
Unfortunately nothing so far has worked. If I upload these photos to Facebook the colours appear normal. That and the whole "preview" test in the "Save to Web" dialogue shows it as correct colours.

Anyway, thank you for the help so far.

Did you try the normal Save function instead of Save for Web?

FighterPilot
Topic Author

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:47 pm

I have, unfortunately it didn't work. I'm back to work for two weeks so I won't have much time to try other things. But I'll make an attempt soon.

Cal