Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MrMitch
Topic Author

Anyone Tried The 70D?

Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi all, looking at grabbing a second body to mainly use for aviation - I've been looking at the 70D (Pretty good value at the moment) but most of the reviews focus more on the video rather than the photos. So I decided to turn to you guys and see if any of you have any experience with it and maybe even share some results with it that you have on the DB. Most of my shots will be with the 100-400L if that helps in any way.

If you have suggestions for a different body feel free to add those thoughts too.

Thanks!

Mitch

vikkyvik

RE: Anyone Tried The 70D?

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:09 pm

I haven't used a 70D, but I probably wouldn't buy one. Not really enough improvement/additional features over the 60D, or even 50D, for me (I don't shoot video, so I think that takes a lot of the attractiveness away). I'd probably buy a used 50D or 60D instead, personally.

MrMitch
Topic Author

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, I don't really care about video either so that does make a lot of sense. Now you mention the 60D and the 50D - what do you think about the 7D. That's pretty much in the same price range so that might be a better option? If anyone has some accepted 7D shots they's like to share please go ahead and do so as it'd help me out alot.

Cheers,

Mitch

ckw

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Essentially the features of the 70D of note are the wifi support and a new AF system.

The new AF is clever and a big deal for video shooters, but, when it comes to stills it is essentially a 7D.

So unless you see a benefit in having wifi, the 7D and 70D are effectively equal when it comes to shooting stills.

One other difference is that the 70d only takes SD cards, the 7D CF cards. So you may want to factor in the cost of new cards when deciding which is the best value.

The 7D is a fine camera - the AF is a big improvement on previous camera crop bodies. It's weak point IMHO is that it is perhaps a tad noisier than it should be at low ISO.

Note that the rumour mill seems pretty certain there will be a replacement for the 7D this year, but probably with a significant price hike to reflect a pro-spec crop body.

If frame filling and performance are your prime concerns, the the 7D (or for that matter, the 70D) are good options. If you are wanting a significant improvement in image quality, look at the 6D.

Cheers,

Colin

glen

Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Coming from an aging EOS 400D I'm lacking the experience to compare the 70D to its predecessors (50D 60D). But I am more than happy with the camera.
I was thinking about the 7D before the 70D appeared, however what offers the 7D more besides the sturdier body and 100% viewfinder? The 70D has the same good AF-System when shooting through viewfinder and in addition the Dual Pixel AF system for LiveView, which is not only good for videos, but also very impressive for still shots.
You asked for examples:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruno Camenzind
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruno Camenzind

First picture with EF-S 10-22, second with a 30 year old EF 100-300

petertenthije

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 pm

I've got the 7D and it's a very good camera. I do not have a lot of photos online with it, just four at JP.net. But if you are interested I can send some original unedited shots. Like you I've got a 100-400L.

Moose135

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:15 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 3):
It's weak point IMHO is that it is perhaps a tad noisier than it should be at low ISO.

That is the truth!

gabik001

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:42 am

I have 70D after my 50D start to work bad and I got good thoughts.
Pictures looks sharper, even my 100-400L looks sharper @400mm. Noise is low at higher ISO but I did not use more than 800 . Also I'm glad that they keep function switch lock.
Bad thing is that body is not magnesium-alloy (as on 50D) , main wheel should be bigger and folded screen is not necessary (I'm not using it). Also buffer should be bigger for slower SD cards. I can take 36 pics in a row in continuous shooting but it take forever to get them on the card. During writing time I can take 1 pic per 2 seconds.
Good camera at all, even my friend said that is better in picture quality than his 7D (now he bought 5DMk3 so no compare). Usually I'm using it to plane spotting, but tried at very dusty conditions on rally cross and went fine.

MrMitch
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:11 am

7D seems like the best option right now, I don't really need the video that the 70D improves. With the 7D Noise it blows my current 1D Mark II out of the water so I'm happy with the higher iso shots I can get with the 7D.

Having a look on the DB a huge amount of shots are with a 7D.

Thanks for the help guys!

MrMitch
Topic Author

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:53 pm

After lots of thinking I've decided to go the route of what Colin said regarding the 6D. I've noticed my 100-400 will be fine in terms of reach for Melbourne with a full-frame so I don't need the crop-factor. The Image Quality and ISO performance will blow my 1D Mark II out of the water and I think I'll get some awesome aviation images. Even though the only cross type focus point is in the centre I don't think that is a problem as I only use the middle focus point for aviation anyway.

Thanks for the help Colin and hopefully you'll see some images of mine with the 6D in the database soon.  

Cheers,

Mitch

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 pm

Quoting MrMitch (Reply 9):
hopefully you'll see some images of mine with the 6D in the database soon.  

Congratulations. I'm very happy with my 6D.

topgun3

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 am

6D sounds like a fine choice. I use 7D, 5D Mark II and 50D (in that order of most used to least used).

MrMitch
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:38 am

Now the wait for it to arrive. 

Anyone got some samples of Aviation with the 6D?

Or if anyone has thoughts on the shots they're getting our of their 6D?

Thanks for the help,

Mitch

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:06 am

Quoting MrMitch (Reply 12):
Anyone got some samples of Aviation with the 6D?

Had my 6D just over a year now, very pleased with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/broadee/

MrMitch
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:24 am

Quoting 747438 (Reply 13):
Had my 6D just over a year now, very pleased with it.

I followed your flickr a couple of months back because of those awesome shots you have.

That answers all my questions regarding the 6D, definitely shows how well it does with aviation with your great images.

Can't wait to get it out at the airport now, thanks for the reply!  

Cheers,

Mitch

Kiadprthd

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Mitch,

A little late to the conversation, but thought I'd chime in about the 6D. I upgraded this past summer to the 6D from a 600D and it is night and day different. I took it down to Oceana NAS this past August and I was amazed at how well it performed. A lot of those pics have been uploaded here too. The 6D also performs very well in the golden hour. This picture was taken a few minutes before sunset and I was blown away at how crisp it came out. This LH picture is probably my personal favorite.

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/x1391374199.3819yj.jpg

Cheers,
Andrew

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Quoting MrMitch (Reply 14):

Thank you.

MrMitch
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:19 pm

Quoting kiadprthd (Reply 15):

Mitch,

A little late to the conversation, but thought I'd chime in about the 6D. I upgraded this past summer to the 6D from a 600D and it is night and day different. I took it down to Oceana NAS this past August and I was amazed at how well it performed. A lot of those pics have been uploaded here too. The 6D also performs very well in the golden hour. This picture was taken a few minutes before sunset and I was blown away at how crisp it came out. This LH picture is probably my personal favorite.

Thanks Andrew, not a problem - happy to hear about it as I wait for it to be delivered. 

That is an awesome image, it's extremely crisp! Now I'm even more excited to take it out shooting now after seeing all these examples.

Keep them coming, they're awesome.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mitch