Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xXPandaXx
Topic Author

New Photographer, Help Wanted

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:23 am

Hi, I am inexperienced in aviation photography and I am currently trying to use different styles of aviation photography for my school project. I use a Canon 40D with a 18- 200mm lens. I usually go to a parking lot near Canberra International Airport to avoid the fence around the airport (approximately 200-400m from the runway I think). I have been there a few times to try out different styles of aviation photography but generally most of the pictures came out the same and although I was attempting different styles, there weren't many differences between them. Which is why I am here seeking for help now. I was wondering if anyone could advice me on what settings to use to achieve different styles of aviation photography. Thanks in advance.

ckw

RE: New Photographer, Help Wanted

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 am

I think you need to clarify what you mean by "styles" - simply changing the settings will not necessarily change the final result (unless by styles you mean underexposed/overexposed).

I think most would say that "style" usually means choose of light, POV, lens etc. Certainly variations in the style may require the use of different settings.

An important concept for any photographer to grasp is "pre-visualisation". Basically you need a pretty good idea in your head of what you want the final pic to look like THEN you go about selecting equipement, location, lighting and subject to achieve that goal.

Cheers,

Colin

xXPandaXx
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks for replying, Colin. I think by styles I probably was thinking of something along the lines of maybe something like just blurring the background to give a feeling of motion with a jet, using a slower shutter speed on a propeller plane to achieve motion, or just freezing everything. So maybe rather than "style" I meant something like achieving different feelings from the photo (if that makes sense). I think basically I am aiming for having a small album consisting of photos of maybe 10 different type of feelings (motion, freezing time etc.) as my final product for my project and I am just wondering what to do honestly since I don't have much knowledge of aviation photography. Thank you for the tip on pre-visualizing by the way, I will certainly focus on that more before I head out to take more photos

Thanks in advance,

xXPandaXx

P.S I am sorry if what I am saying isn't quite making sense, I'm not quite good at expressing what I am thinking and what I want to say.

ckw

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:24 pm

OK that makes a bit more sense - really what you need to do here is combine technique with the appropriate setting to get the effect you want.

Freezing an aircraft is easy (provided the light is good) set the camera in shutter prioirty mode and (Tv) and select a high shutter speed (1/500 or higher should do).

Blurring for the effect of speed is a little more tricky, as this involves panning - ie. moving the camera with the aircraft as it goes past while taking a picture at a slow shutter speed - the best speed depends on the speed of the aircraft, your distance from it and the amount of blur you want. You will need to experiment - try shutter speeds from 1/60 down to 1/15 as a starting point and work from there.

The trick in panning is to move the camera very smoothly in a horizonatal with absolutely no up and down movement. Most people can't do it at first becuse when they press the shutter the camera jiggles up and down a little. You need a very gentle smooth pressure. It takes practice.

Also you should be in continous focus mode when panning so the camera tracks the moving subject correctly.

Cheers,

Colin

xXPandaXx
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks for the reply, Colin. I went out again yesterday and tried out some of the methods you said, however as there were no clouds and my location was facing the sun I had to increase the shutter speed a little bit while attempting the panning and still the photos came out a bit overexposed, however the blurring effect was still achieved. I think I will attempt the panning again on a less sunny day.

Thanks again,

xXPandaXx