Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yousaf465
Topic Author

Camera Stats

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:41 am

Is there any table or database of camera used to for accepted photos on airliners.net something like flickrs camera explorer http://www.flickr.com/cameras and Dpreview's popular camera list http://www.dpreview.com/products/slr...nmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu ?

dazbo5

RE: Camera Stats

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Not that I'm aware of although some state equipment used in the comments field. Does it matter what equipment people use? It's the end result that matters, not the equipment used to take it.

Darren

yousaf465
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:54 pm

It helps with discussion such as "whether Mirrorless camera are good enough for aviation photogrphy or not " etc

Soaring1972

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:18 pm

If you want to have such a statsistic, the pictures must be uploaded with EXIF. But most of the pcitures here are not original in color, brighness, cropp, contrast, grain or whatever.

oly720man

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Quoting yousaf465 (Reply 2):
It helps with discussion such as "whether Mirrorless camera are good enough for aviation photogrphy or not " etc

They are, but probably within limits.

You can use an Iphone and get photos uploaded here.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Luis Delgado PR - Aviation Spotter

Sony NEX5 and Canon EF100-400

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Tobarra

Sony NEX3

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bryan Weisenburger

ckw

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Quoting yousaf465 (Reply 2):
whether Mirrorless camera are good enough for aviation photogrphy or not

Well I would have thought that one would have been laid to rest by now - many of the latest mirrorless camera are sporting new sensors and processing that compare favourably with some of the warmed over DSLR APS-C models. The latest Sony is comparable to the Nikon D800.

Probably you should be more worried about lenses - but then m4/3 cameras have adaptors for pretty much any lens ever made.

It is true that IMHO mirrorless struggle with continous focus compared to a decent DSLR - but single shot mode (in the better models) is faster, more flexible and more accurate than any DSLR I've used.

So the body and glass for using mirrorless is definitely there. The difference is really down to features and ergonomics (can you live with EVF?) How important is good CF?

And don't forget, a significant number of brilliant photos exist on A.net taken with manual focus film cameras.

These days, its the photographer who is the week point in the chain, not the cameras.

Cheers,

Colin

mohammedzaheer

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:26 am

It would be nice when a person is looking at a picture to know what camera / lens was used to capture that photo.

I know on the other website that I'm registered to displays that information.

len90

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:37 am

I too think it would be nice to view the camera information with the picture. I know I try to always place my camera and lens combo in the comments so if people search for that camera or lens they can see examples of it.

Even in 2007 you were able to get pictures uploaded with a basic point and shoot camera. I have one as proof (NJ State Police Helicopter). To me a lot of it comes down to the quality of the lens and conditions you are spotting in. Be smart with how you set up your pictures and the results will be there.

mohammedzaheer

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Quoting len90 (Reply 7):

I too think it would be nice to view the camera information with the picture. I know I try to always place my camera and lens combo in the comments so if people search for that camera or lens they can see examples of it.

This is something I should start doing for my future uploads!

yousaf465
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:54 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 5):
Quoting ckw (Reply 5):
These days, its the photographer who is the week point in the chain, not the cameras.

Cheers,

Colin

Is this Picture possible with a Mirrorless https://www.airliners.net/photo/Germa.../McDonnell-Douglas-F-4F/2397295/M/ ?

A lot of pictures depend on conditions you are shooting in and the type of camera you have.

I remember disembarking at Abu Dhabi aircraft and local time was 1:30Am , I had a Etihad Airways in (Abu Dhabi Grand Prix) livery but the best camera which was available to me was a 2 years old Mobile phone. Obviously I missed the shot.

ckw

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:52 am

Is this Picture possible with a Mirrorless https://www.airliners.net/photo/Germa.../McDonnell-Douglas-F-4F/2397295/M/ ?
[quote=yousaf465,reply=9]

Absolutely. Certainly my EM-5 would do a good job of it - maybe even retain more detail and color in the flames ... somehow Olympus seem to have some magic in retaining detail in the highlights.

And of course lenses are not a problem, as any of the olympus glass ever made can be used with the OM-5. And if you have an EM-1 you can even keep the AF. And the top end Oly lenses are pretty much as good as it gets.

Put it this way - I shoot professionally with an OM-5 and a Canon 5D3. My picture editor is happy with both (and I suspect he doesn't know the difference).

I'll also say that the little EM-5 produces the most pleasing B&W images of ANY digital camera I've used.

Cheers,

Colin

yousaf465
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:47 am

Quoting ckw (Reply 10):

any example from your own images ?

OM-5 Shooting in low light with continuous AF ?

yousaf465
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:33 pm

ckw

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:13 pm

Quoting yousaf465 (Reply 11):
any example from your own images ?

Sorry, I post on another site, and to be fair I should say that I do little aviation photography these days. I find yachts more challenging.

I would point out that I did say CF is the mirrorless weak point - even with the EM-1 - but the example you show is not really a test for CF. I would think that a fast jet coming towards you would defeat mirrorless CF, so you would need to use MF.

I prefer DSLR (5d3) for some types of shooting, mirrorless (EM-5) for others. They have their strengths and weaknesses, and a lot will depend on personal style. So, there is no question that the 5D will shoot at a higher ISOs than the EM-5 - yet the look of the "noise" in the EM-5 I find much more attractive, less artificial. Single shot AF and exposure I find, on the whole, to be more accurate with the EM-5 ... and I like the colours a little better.

The 5D is better when CF is a must, and when large, clean files are of absolute importance (in practice, less often than you might think). So I tend to favour the 5D for studio type work and certain types of action photography. But of course a lot of my use is more dictated by the lenses I have at my disposal than the camera body. If the shot calls for a certain lens, that will be the key decision, not the camera body.

Cheers,

Colin

topgun3

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 pm

I discussed this topic several years ago about why the EXIF information is getting stripped from our photos. It would be great to have that information to help in determining how a particular shot was made (F stops, shutter speed, length of lens, etc.) Sites like airport-data.com include that information right on the page for each photo.

yousaf465
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 13):

you can PM/email me a link to your photos. thanks .

yousaf465
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Quoting topgun3 (Reply 14):

X2 Exif info should be included in the database. It helps both Newbie/amateurs and professionals alike.

scr

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Quoting yousaf465 (Reply 16):

Yes, please!